Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Legend
Legend
Not really anything I can disagree with in that post Pit..

When you talk of thier reactions to questions,, Yeah, again, this is where I think Clausen falls short of the other guys...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Watched the full thing. Got what I expected from each guy. Unfortunately for Clausen, he simply reaffirmed what I already believed, which is that he represents the kind of self-absorbed QB who stands a far greater chance of alienating his teammates. He also came off as rather dumb, which is another of his negatives.

He blamed the coaches for slow play-calling. He blamed his receiver for missing a signal. He didn't answer questions quickly at all, and often wasn't sure what to say. Frankly, he had the look of a guy who was ready to blame everyone else, but when faced with a situation where he KNEW he was supposed to take the blame, he was hesitant.

That's bad. VERY bad.

Based on all that, I'd downgrade Clausen from a late-first to a mid-second rounder. If he can't even muster the ability to say the right things KNOWING what he was walking into, he's not going to know what to say to his teammates and the media when he must say the right thing at that very moment with no preparation.

Scary. He looks like Tim Couch 2.0.

I see one 1st round QB in this bunch. McCoy, Clausen, and Tebow all have big enough faults to knock them out of the 1st. Put the mental acuity of the other three guys into the body of Clausen and he'd be a 1st. Too bad that isn't reality.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Y
2nd String
2nd String
Y
I finally watched it. I believe none of us really know these players unless we get to do what Gruden did, which is talk with them, go over film, see how they react to criticism, etc... this show just gave us a glimpse of that, although it was obviously watered-down for public consumption. Still, pretty interesting, here's my take:

Clausen - I read it the same way as many others. Didn't like the way he was quick to blame others for the mistakes that Gruden pointed out. I just don't see his personality meshing well with a locker room full of MEN. To be blunt, I don't think I'd take him at all. I hope we don't.

Bradford - Hard to read. He didn't seem to have the same enthusiasm and charisma as Tebow or McCoy. His accuracy is beautiful though and when he did start talking about plays, he displayed a good level of intelligence about it. I think he'll definitely be successful in the NFL if he can learn to protect himself and learn how to take a sack correctly.

McCoy - This was the guy I knew the least about. I think he'll put in 100% effort and be well liked by his teammates. I'm a little worried that his talent and natural gifts will only yield an average starter or very good backup at the NFL level. I don't know. If we took him in the 2nd, I wouldn't be disappointed, but I wouldn't be super excited either.

Tebow - I won't claim to be an expert on football, because I'm not, but I'd be excited to have Tebow on this team. I think he has the will and determination to succeed, even as an NFL QB. He's a natural leader, a fierce competitor, and will be a great example in the locker room.

All Pro
All Pro
In case anybody missed it, Gruden with Clausen

Florio's peice was a weak dig on a guy giving an honest answer to a coach asking a direct question about a game from 2 years ago. I'm watching the same thing you are, but not seeing it the same way. If the coaches take a long time to get a play in, why not say so? It happens. On the int play, it was obvious that he made a signal to the receiver in question. Why not answer honestly?

Some people just have a hard time being in front of a camera. I think JC is like that. Clausen looks awkward and anxious on camera to me, but on the field he looks anything but.

Again, the big bash on him is "character issues" that have nothing to do with his ability to overcome adversity in the game, dedication/work ethic, coachability or off-field issues. You just don't like him personally. More power to ya, but that doesn't mean the dude can't play.

Clausen is also the only QB of the four Gruden didn't hammer about getting rid of the ball quicker. It takes a lot of guys years to learn this.

A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams.

John Barrymore
P
Legend
Legend
P
I guess what a lot of people, myself included, expect to see is for a QB to step up and take the blame. As an NFL QB you are the field general of your team. You don't point fingers at your players or coaching staff, period.

You simply call it "miscommunication" and say it's something "he" needs to work on.

Football 101 = A QB never blames others.

Many want to see a future team leader as someone who leads by putting things on his own shoulders. I happen to be one of those people.

jmho

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Gruden's QB School - Clausen, McCoy, Tebow, Bradford

Link Copied to Clipboard