Print Thread
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Quote:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that a three-way trade will send linebacker Ernie Sims to the Eagles, tight end Tony Scheffler to the Lions, and an undisclosed draft pick to Denver.

Pro Football Talk

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Pretty crazy off-season. I ever remember a three team trade in the NFL.

This draft is going to be nuts.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
j/c

That is a massive steal for the Eagles and a good deal for the Broncos since Scheffler was a problem in the locker room.

Don't know what the Lions are doing, though. They were having such a good offseason too...

you had a good run Hank.
D
2nd String
2nd String
D
They are rare. The Ashley Lelie/Duckett deal a few years ago between Atlanta, Washington and Denver.

D
2nd String
2nd String
D
Rumor has Philly is giving up a 5th round pick. The one received from us for the Brown/Gocong trade.

If this is so, they still have enough ammo to trade up with us (if you believe that rumor) to #7.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Quote:

PFT's Mike Florio reports that the Broncos will get a fifth-round pick from the Eagles. Denver will send a seventh-round pick to the Lions.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What are the Lions doing here?

Losing Sims, and getting a TE who will likely be the #2 TE behind Brandon Pettigrew?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Seems like a good deal for everyone. Sims didn't fit the Lions' scheme well, and Pettigrew is coming off a torn ACL. They also love to run a two tight end offense. Pettigrew and Scheffler compliment each other perfectly.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Great deal for the Eagles.

Legend
Legend
I always thought Ernie Sims was a pretty darn good LB.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He has been really bad the past few years. Like Wimbley, he had a good rookie year. That is it.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

He has been really bad the past few years. Like Wimbley, he had a good rookie year. That is it.

I guess I didn't follow the Lions as closely as you did.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He has been around a ton of crappy players. The year he had Big Baby in front of him was his best.

Coincidence?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Man...and we couldn't have shipped a 6th (or 5th-7th swap, which is the same in value) to DEN for Sheffler? instead of overpaying an underachiever like Watson?

Great deal for Philly...

DET is funny...they draft Pettigrew over Oher last year and now they dump a top 10 pick for a receiving-TE...meanwhile Stafford still has no protection...that's the logic of losing franchises folks, take note...and we did some of the same in case you noticed

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

and now they dump a top 10 pick for a receiving-TE...

Woah, I read undisclosed pick.....

N
Legend
Legend
N
i like ernie sims, but the guy was injury-prone in college and has been injury prone in the NFL. add in that he doesn't really fit Schwartz's model for WLB (and definitely not ILB) and he just was a poor fit for Detroit.

not sure why they thought he was worth a backup TE, but I understand why they were shopping him.

who exactly is the great Kyle Orton going to throw the ball to next year? Eddie Royal is going to be triple-teamed at the rate they are going (would they really take Dez and his issues right after getting rid of Marshall?)

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He meant Ernie Sims. Which is foolish considering Sims has been awful.

It's like the Browns trading Wimbley and calling him a top 15 pick.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
the top 10 pick was Sims....

DET got Scheffler and a 7th from DEN and a 5th from Philly and the other 2 swapped players....the deal is all over the net already

#gmstrong

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

He meant Ernie Sims. Which is foolish considering Sims has been awful.

It's like the Browns trading Wimbley and calling him a top 15 pick.

Ah, yeah and Tedd Guinn is a top 10 pick too.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

i like ernie sims, but the guy was injury-prone in college and has been injury prone in the NFL. add in that he doesn't really fit Schwartz's model for WLB (and definitely not ILB) and he just was a poor fit for Detroit.

Sims started all games from 06 to 08...last year was the 1st time he got injured and missed 5 games...but who cares about facts around here, right?

Of course he was a 1st round disappointment but they dumped him for next to nothing to make up a draftday blunder last season...that was my point.

Oh and Sims is an instant starter at WLB for the Eagles...he's decent....a 1st round disappointment still can be an AVG every down player in this league...go ask Gallery

#gmstrong

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Sims started all games from 06 to 08...last year was the 1st time he got injured and missed 5 games...but who cares about facts around here, right?

haha. fine, it's like in 'The Program' then...he was "hurt' not injured.

The guy left the field a ton with bangs and bruises. Just because he played in the games doesn't mean he wasn't playing hurt or that he wasn't leaving the field (knee, ankle injuries, et cetera)

last year, his hamstring and shoulder were the main culprits but he still played 11 games.

coaches don't like when guys have to consistently sit out practices and leave games. that was ernie sims in detroit.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Eagles Acquire LB Sims From Lions
The Eagles announced today that they have acquired starting weakside linebacker Ernie Sims from the Detroit Lions through a rare three-team deal that also included the Denver Broncos.

The Eagles sent a fifth-round draft pick in 2010 (137th overall) to the Broncos. The Broncos gave tight end Tony Scheffler and a seventh-round pick in 2010 (220th overall) to the Lions, who sent Sims to the Eagles.

In essence, it's a fifth-round pick for a proven starting linebacker.

"Ernie Sims is an impact player at the linebacker position," said head coach Andy Reid. "He brings a lot of energy to our already energized defense. We are looking forward to adding him to our team."

"We are excited to acquire Ernie Sims," said general manager Howie Roseman. "He plays fast, he's aggressive and his style is a great fit for our defensive scheme. He is a leader who was a team captain for the Lions and we are eager to see what he can do in our defense."

This marks the fifth trade of the 2010 off-season for the Eagles and the third for a veteran defensive player (defensive end Darryl Tapp, linebacker Alex Hall). The Eagles now own 10 picks in the upcoming draft - 1st round (24th overall), 2nd round (37, 55), 3rd round (70, 87), 4th round (105, 121), 6th round (200) and 7th round (243, 244).

Sims (6-0, 230) was originally a first-round choice (ninth overall) of the Lions in 2006 and has since played in 59 games (56 starts) for Detroit, totaling 505 tackles, 2.5 sacks, six forced fumbles and one interception. The 25-year-old linebacker played in 11 games (eight starts) in 2009, and compiled 49 tackles and one forced fumble.

Now in his fifth season out of Florida State, Sims was immediately plugged into the Lions starting lineup as a rookie and earned Pro Football Weekly all-rookie honors in 2006 after starting all 16 games and leading the team with 144 tackles. He was named the team's defensive captain for the 2007 and 2008 seasons, starting all 32 games and again pacing the team with 312 tackles during that span.

A native of Tallahassee, Fla., Sims' father, Ernie Jr., played running back at Florida State from 1977-81, and his mother, Alice Bennett, was an All-America sprinter on the Seminole track team from 1980-83.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/bloghead/

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

"Sigh"...Sims I believe was the guy Savage wanted and when he couldn't get him it made him trade up to get NyQuil..

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

"Sigh"...Sims I believe was the guy Savage wanted and when he couldn't get him it made him trade up to get NyQuil..

Living in Northwest Ohio we hear alot about the Lions...Actually to much....Here is my understanding of the situation.....Erine Sims is a pretty good to average NFL LB....Jim Shwartzs took over and changed the Defense, and thus changed Sims role in that Defence, Sims didnt like the move and wanted out, thus brought on the was he injured or was he benched debate at the end of last year. Sims said he wanted out of Detroit and the FO said they would work to make that happen but wasnt gonna just give him away or release him, and it looks like they held up to thier end, and Ernie got his.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Hmm, I thought it was Demeco Ryans Savage wanted....

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It was. Ernie Sims was a target for the Browns but I believe went way ahead of us.

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
Legend
My hats are off to the Birdies. Not sure about the Lions. What was the pick mentioned?

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Glad we didn't make that trade.

Watson vs. Schefler?

You kidding right?

I guess if you had a agenda though.....

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It was. Ernie Sims was a target for the Browns but I believe went way ahead of us.

Yeah... Sims went #10 to the Lions, Ryans went 33 to the Texans then we traded up to 34 to take Jackson.

R
All Pro
All Pro
R
Ugghh, I was so mad when the Texans took Ryan s.

"He who buys what he does not need steals from himself."
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Three-way trade sends Tony Scheffler to Detroit, Ernie Sims to Philly

Link Copied to Clipboard