Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Ammo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Last year everyone was up in arms that we "gave away the #5 pick because we didn't adhere to the draft value chart."

I say ignore it. It's outdated, and it doesn't factor in the size of the huge contracts commanded by the rookies. It'll come back to prominence when the salaries are back in line via a new rookie wage system, but those who think of it as part of their draft bible are kidding themselves.

I know a lot of football types agree with me on this.

Thoughts?

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Very outdated, especially when you consider how ridiculous rookie contracts are these days.

Amidionitrite?

N
Legend
Legend
N
i'm pretty sure that each FO has a basic draft value chart that they may not stick to completely, but use as a guideline in trades.

i agree that the jimmiej chart from the early 90's is out-dated, but until someone comes up with a new chart that takes into account all portions of 'value' the casual fan needs something to point towards.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Oh really..so when even MH says that you call teams to talk trade they look at the chart to get a base of what the picks are valued at, you say no one uses them???

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Could someone explain rookie salaries to me?

My vague understanding is they have a separate cap which basically ensures their paycheck.

I mean.. there has to be some kind of institutionalized pay structure or else the reality of major busts like Russell would completely restructure the way they pay rookies.

As a side note.. Why is there a draft? or a salary cap?

Why not just let college players sign like regular FAs.
Why not let the market decide how much teams spend on players?

Forced "fairness" means pervasive mediocrity and market instability

/rant

Last edited by Kingcob; 04/19/10 03:24 PM.
A
Ammo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Oh really..so when even MH says that you call teams to talk trade they look at the chart to get a base of what the picks are valued at, you say no one uses them???

In the 1st round, especially near the top, absolutely no one looks at the value chart.

I think it's a better deal to take a lesser deal to get out of the top of the draft just to avoid the massive salary ramifications (in other years I'd say "cap ramifications").

I think Mangini was very smart last year with what he did, although I would have liked to squeeze a 3rd rounder out of it.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I agree. I really hope we trade down if Berry isn't there. Getting more picks would give us a lot of flexibility (we already have a lot). We could take Thomas or Pouncey or Spiller or whoever later in the draft. Then still have the ammunition to trade back into the late 1st round if we really want McCoy. And then we would still have enough picks to trade back into the 2nd round if there is a guy there that we like.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
As for moving from 7 to 1 vs. moving from 17 to 5, according to the trade chart it takes 1500 points to move from 7 to 1 and it takes half that - 750 points - to move from 17 to 5.

Pick 52 is worth 380, so without adding any players, the Jets/Browns were within 370 points of an even deal last year. If the Browns give up our first and second round picks this year, according to the trade chart we will still be 980 points short of even for the number 1 overall pick. 370 is the equivalent of a high 3rd round pick plus a high 4th round pick. 980 is the 16th overall pick in the first round.

I'll believe what I hear the talking heads say.. they do use the chart..and Genuis wasn't that smart..had he used the picks properly it would have been better..but of course he was doing the bidding,not a real GM..

Last edited by Attack Dawg; 04/19/10 04:12 PM.
D
2nd String
2nd String
D
Quote:

I am sure FO's are using the chart. I doubt the same numerical values that were assigned to picks in the 1990's are the same today. Too many variables. The first 5 picks are not as values as they were in the 1990's.

Y
2nd String
2nd String
Y
Quote:

Quote:

I am sure FO's are using the chart. I doubt the same numerical values that were assigned to picks in the 1990's are the same today. Too many variables. The first 5 picks are not as values as they were in the 1990's.

I'll go one further and say every team's chart differs and every year it differs for the same team. In other words, we probably have a chart, but it won't match any other team's chart and it won't match the chart we put together next year.

Too many factors go into valuing draft picks on a year to year basis.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Last year everyone was up in arms that we "gave away the #5 pick because we didn't adhere to the draft value chart."

I say ignore it. It's outdated, and it doesn't factor in the size of the huge contracts commanded by the rookies. It'll come back to prominence when the salaries are back in line via a new rookie wage system, but those who think of it as part of their draft bible are kidding themselves.

I know a lot of football types agree with me on this.

Thoughts?

LMAO...The charts a BASIS...And u can bet your butt that teams use it...

BTW...I lol about our trade out of 5 last year...HOW do u chart the value of the players involved...GUESS...

Go Browns!!!
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) IGNORE the draft value chart!

Link Copied to Clipboard