Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Kind of interesting how differently the 2 top PD Browns Beat writers see this draft ....

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2010/04/four_things_i_think_about_the.html

Four things I think about the Cleveland Browns' 2010 NFL Draft: Tony Grossi
By Tony Grossi, The Plain Dealer
April 22, 2010, 4:40AM

1. Sack the quarterback talk: Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace haven't even thrown a pass (or interception) yet and people want to replace them with the next Browns quarterback developmental project. Mike Holmgren knows that neither Delhomme nor Wallace will be the QB to take the Browns to the Super Bowl. But he should also know that the team doesn't have the offensive cast to support a rookie quarterback yet. I understand it's important to identify the next great hope. But choosing one with the first pick in this draft will only add to the quarterback drama.

2. Patience is a draft virtue: It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if the Browns made no moves and exercised all five of their picks in the first three rounds. If GM Tom Heckert hits bulls-eyes with four of those five picks, it should be a significant upgrade to the roster at several positions of need.

3. You can dream: If the Browns could write the script of the next two days, I guess that would go something like this: Some team in the teens (San Francisco at No. 13?) agrees to move up to No. 7 in exchange for a third-round pick, giving the Browns four in that round. They use the first pick to fill an obvious need with the top-rated player left on their board. Then they use one of the threes to move from No. 38 in the second round to the bottom third of the first round and fill another need. Then they use another three to move from No. 71 in the third round into the second round to fill another need. That would be ideal, coming away with two lower first-round talents and one in the second round. Probably unrealistic, though.

4. The offensive line dilemma: Choosing offensive linemen in the first round is the new fad in Cleveland. The pick of Joe Thomas at No. 3 overall in 2007 still is being applauded. The pick of Alex Mack last year -- after three trade-downs -- has been received more favorably over time than when it happened. Now I get the overwhelming reaction from fans that settling on a right tackle at No. 7 is the best thing the Browns can do. I'm not so sure. I agree a young tackle and a young guard are needed, but not with the first pick.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2010/04/four_things_i_think_about_the_1.html

Four things I think about the Cleveland Browns' 2010 NFL Draft: Mary Kay Cabot
By Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer
April 22, 2010, 4:35AM

1. Aim high: The Browns should put together an attractive package to trade up to No. 1 with the Rams and take Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford. Even if it means next year's No. 1 too. Why? Because the Browns are in dire need of their quarterback of the future and might not be picking as high as No. 7 in the future (some year that will be true!). They probably also won't have many drafts with this much ammo -- five picks in the first three rounds. I doubt they traded away one of their best defensive players in Kamerion Wimbley just to take some iffy third-round pick. They have the picks and shouldn't be afraid to use them. It's a chance worth taking.

2. Look away if you're squeamish: If the Browns don't pull off a trade for Bradford, they should take Notre Dame's Jimmy Clausen with the No. 7 pick. Don't have the stomach for another first-round Notre Dame quarterback? Most experts agree that Clausen is a much better thrower than Brady Quinn. Again, the Browns need a franchise quarterback and Clausen is widely regarded as one of two in this draft, along with Bradford. How often is a team on the clock with a potential franchise quarterback staring at them? The Browns passed on Mark Sanchez last year and might have to live that one down. Browns President Mike Holmgren is all about the quarterback -- and I believe he'll make every effort to land one of the big-namers in this draft. If not Bradford or Clausen, then Colt McCoy or Tim Tebow.

3. Just say no: Some experts, such as ESPN's Mel Kiper and NFL Network's Mike Mayock, think top-rated receiver Dez Bryant of Oklahoma would be a great pick for the Browns at No. 7. But I disagree. Yes, I do believe teams should take chances on players with issues and help them. I applaud Cincinnati's Mike Brown for consistently doing so. But the Browns are just getting over Braylon Edwards and the distractions he presented. Bryant was reportedly late for team meetings and games, and was suspended most of last season for lying to the NCAA about his involvement with Deion Sanders. Holmgren has said he won't give Eric Mangini a player he doesn't want, and Bryant doesn't fit the profile. Maybe the Browns can try this someday, but not yet.

4. The Texas two-step: I can see the Browns trading down in the first round if Berry's gone and landing Texas safety Earl Thomas -- considered the top safety in the draft by Mayock. In this scenario, they could come back at No. 38 overall and grab his teammate, Colt McCoy, whose first choice is the Browns. They might even need to jump back up into the late first round to get McCoy. McCoy is said to be a great fit for the West Coast offense, which the Browns will employ more this season. McCoy told The Plain Dealer he's the best player in this draft, and he might get a chance to prove it for the Browns.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

If GM Tom Heckert hits bulls-eyes with four of those five picks, it should be a significant upgrade to the roster at several positions of need.

Oh, that's all it's going to take..... just bulls eye four out of five in the first two rounds.... That should be easy...

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Was thinking the same thing.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
she says should take JC and we have to suck it up even tho we just drafted Brady however we will NOT take Dez bc we are just getting over BE.

not even 2 paragraphs apart... wow

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

If GM Tom Heckert hits bulls-eyes with four of those five picks, it should be a significant upgrade to the roster at several positions of need.

Oh, that's all it's going to take..... just bulls eye four out of five in the first two rounds.... That should be easy...

I'm hoping for 3 solid picks out of the top five.....

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm hoping for 5 solid picks out of the 1st 5 but I'll settle for 3

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

I am high: The Browns should put together an attractive package to trade up to No. 1 with the Rams and take Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford. Even if it means next year's No. 1 too.

Fixed the beginning of that sentence for you, Mary Kay.

Legend
Legend
Thank you for reminding me why I put absolutely zero value in the opinions of those two writers.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Has anyone else noticed this "fad" of trying to trade up lately?

Why can't we just sit still? and grab 5 good guys to help this team out. We need all the help we can get.

1st round QB's either are studs or duds... 2nd round QB's the same. McCoy will be there in the 2nd.. Patience!!!

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

1st round QB's either are studs or duds... 2nd round QB's the same. McCoy will be there in the 2nd.. Patience!!!

Top and I were having this discussion in the other thread. Actually, 2nd round QBs over the last 15 or so years seem to be more likely to be decent, but much,much,much less likely to be a stud.

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Turk, I feel like most articles mentioning us trading up have read that there is no way we'd give up so much to do so. But I know what you mean. Seems like out of nowhere, all at once LOTS of people were writing about it.

I agree about McCoy too. Not sure if he'll fall to us, but I sure as heck don't want to trade up for him.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Thank you for reminding me why I put absolutely zero value in the opinions of those two writers.

How can you have zero value in their opinions when they are right? Obviously we are going to trade up.. or not, we are going to make a bunch of moves.. or sit still, we are going to take a QB... or not....

yebat' Putin
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I kinda agree with Grossi that maybe Heckert should sit tight and draft the first 5 picks as they come,unless there is a good trade down offer.

Mary Kay, IMO, has annointed Sanchez prematurely.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
i just found it interesting that 2 solid beat writers ... with probably as much access to the team as anyone in the country .... would have such diametrically opposed opinions.

1 says take a QB by any means possible ... while the other says wait nd build the team first. (which is my preference)

Both agree that a trade down could be in the cards if the Browns preferred player is gone.

Grossi brings up a 1st pick RT and fans clammoring for such a pick ..... but I sure haven't heard it. I do think that a quality Guard can probably be found in round 3 or 5. (or maybe a trade up back into round 4) With Alex Mack not established as a young veteran, a rookie Guard isn't as daunting as it might be if Mack hadn't received as much playing time and experience last year.

Mary Kay brings up Bryant. I see this a a no chance in hell pick ... unless he drops to round 3 or lower. (which is damn near impossible) Mangini did take Coy Francies late in last year's draft, and there were some character concerns (from published reports) .... but he felt that the talent justified the risk and the pick. I just don't see that happening with a high draft pick.

I really see this draft augmenting 3 positions very nicely. I could easily see DL, DB, and OL dominating the Browns draft .... with possibly a developmental QB in there for good measure. I don't see Clausen here ..... and I am becoming increasingly doubtful of the Browns grabbing McCoy or Tebow high in the 2nd. (Unless they trade down in the 1st and pick up several extra picks) I do think that Holmgren likes Wallace .... and that he might just see him as the future if it comes down to a short (in height) McCoy, or a short Wallace.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

i just found it interesting that 2 solid beat writers ... with probably as much access to the team as anyone in the country .... would have such diametrically opposed opinions.

This is why IN PLUTO, I TRUST . . .

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

This is why IN PLUTO, I TRUST . . .

But Pluto writes mostly opinion pieces .... less "hard journalism" than observations and opinions.

I love his writing, think that he's a truly impressive man, and have no doubt that he's well connected .... but I don't think that he puts in the day in - day out work on the Browns that the beat writers do.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I saw it as a planned and by design thing... as in, it isn't necessarily how they feel - kinda like debate club - one chose to take one argument, the other then took the part of playing the counter-view.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I don't know.

If ou watch any of the video on the PD website with the 2 of them, often they argee .... but they have strongly disagreed with regards to this draft.

I do think that Cabot is more "QB-Centric" than Grossi.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if the Browns made no moves and exercised all five of their picks in the first three rounds. If GM Tom Heckert hits bulls-eyes with four of those five picks,

Geez,, if it was that easy, we'd be better off hiring a monkey to do that job.

what is wrong with Grossi.. is it that it's draft day and he needed to write something no matter how stupid

Quote:

1. Aim high: The Browns should put together an attractive package to trade up to No. 1 with the Rams and take Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford.

Look, there is lots of reasons to want Bradford.. a ton of reasons. there are also a few red flags.. not enough to say no if you got the 1st pick in the draft.. but if you gotta mortgage the future to move up to get that pick.. I'd say no.. not worth the risk... JMO

this is Draft Day.. all I want out of this first round is a guy that will produce.. Don't care what position, don't care if it's offense or defense.. to hell with value, to hell with the point system... just pick a guy that can play the damn game.. I'm good with that...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

This is Draft Day.. all I want out of this first round is a guy that will produce.. Don't care what position, don't care if it's offense or defense.. to hell with value, to hell with the point system... just pick a guy that can play the damn game.. I'm good with that...

+1

And for the record, I say stay put and select the BPA while listening to trade down offers. DO NOT TRADE UP above the 7th pick!

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I don't know.

If ou watch any of the video on the PD website with the 2 of them, often they argee .... but they have strongly disagreed with regards to this draft.

I do think that Cabot is more "QB-Centric" than Grossi.

Thats obvious..she was a BQ fan...

O
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
O
Quote:

Has anyone else noticed this "fad" of trying to trade up lately?

Why can't we just sit still? and grab 5 good guys to help this team out. We need all the help we can get.

I don't think McCoy will be there in the second round for us to take. He may well go to the Vikings @# 30, since they don't know for sure if Farve will be back and they still will need to find his replacement. McCoy would be a steal for them this year.

If he does not go in the first round, we better have the first pick in the second round or I don't think we'll get him, that's even if we want him at all. I look for the Browns to take a QB with the last pick in the third or first in the fifth round. Maybe even a trade for one later after the draft is done.

But if Berry is off the board at #7 (which I think he will be) then I think Claussen should be the pick. Like him or not, he's going to be a good one, unless he gets stuck on a team with no OL and no receivers or RB help at all. IF he sat a year behind Jake he would be ready to go in 2011 and he'd have some good weapons to work with, because we could get a top WR in next years draft.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Then again ... there is a possibility that Claussen may do a Quinn line swan dive down the draft .... and wind up at 30.

Legend
Legend
Gee, four out of five. ANYBODY can get 80%, no problema! What is she thinking?!? Grain of truth is just about anybody chosen higher in the draft is more of an upgrade than our "unskilled" positions. But gimme a break. Why set the bar so low? Sheesh. Hope it isn't too weird; and I like Bradford. I also like Suh very much. Wish I liked Claussen much more. Anointing him a franchise QB tag after getting Quinned is just a bit too much, just abetter price tag. Please! Not Tebow.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) 4 things about draft Grossi and Cabot

Link Copied to Clipboard