Print Thread
L
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
L
Sources: Redskins Still In Play for No. 1 Pick

Dan Graziano is a Senior NFL Writer for FanHouse

Sam Bradford will be the No. 1 pick in the NFL Draft on Thursday night. The Rams will select the former Oklahoma QB first overall, and the likelihood is that he will wear a Rams uniform in 2010. However, that last part is not 100 percent certain just yet. Sources told FanHouse on Wednesday night that the Washington Redskins are still in discussions with the Rams and trying to make a deal for Bradford, who would then sit for a year in Washington behind Donovan McNabb and develop under new Redskins coach Mike Shanahan.

One of the sources said that Washington was the only team still in the mix to trade for Bradford, who has told the Rams he won't sign a contract until after he is drafted. The Seattle Seahawks and Cleveland Browns -- two teams that had interest in Bradford -- are no longer making the effort to try to trade up and get him. And the gathering strength of Stan Kroenke's Rams ownership bid may alleviate the financial concerns that have threatened the Rams' ability or willingness to sign Bradford, meaning they might just draft him and keep him. But as of Wednesday night, even with McNabb on board, the offensive line a lingering concern and no picks in the second or third rounds, the Redskins were apparently still working on a way to come away with the draft's biggest QB prize.

What the Redskins would have to surrender in such a deal (in addition to their current pick, which is No. 4 overall) is unclear. Washington has some current players it has been trying to trade, such as DT Albert Haynesworth, safety LaRon Landry and deposed starting QB Jason Campbell. The Redskins could conceivably package one or more of those players along with their first-round pick in a deal for Bradford. Such a deal would only seem to make sense for the Rams if they're not sold on Bradford or don't want to give him the contract he's seeking (more than the $41.7 million guaranteed that last year's No. 1 pick, Matthew Stafford, got from the Lions).

But Shanahan apparently does love Bradford, and McNabb is signed for just one more season, so Washington will continue to try, possibly even after the Rams have selected Bradford and right up until it's their turn to pick at No. 4. If they don't swing a deal for Bradford, the Redskins are expected to use that No. 4 pick on an offensive tackle, either Oklahoma's Trent Williams or Oklahoma State's Russell Okung. They have a glaring need at the tackle position and their next pick isn't until Saturday, so that would make the most sense. But the NFL Draft doesn't always make sense, so stay tuned and see if the new regime in Washington can pull off the shocker of the night.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/04/22/sourc...for-bradford%2F

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
if i'm the rams, and i can get haynesworth, landry, campbell, and swat 1sts, that would be epic.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

if i'm the rams, and i can get haynesworth, landry, campbell, and swat 1sts, that would be epic.

rams aren't exactly flush with $$$, haynesworth + #4 pick is more expensive than #1 pick, much more actually.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It says the Skins could package one more players with the pick, that seems light. We could package a couple of players and our pick.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Isn't much of haynesworth guaranteed money already paid?? I think he received a 21 million bonus from the skins this month.Clayton said you could get albert for 3 years at 16 million, which is a steal.

I would take hayneworth, and the 4th if the rams can't sign bradford, or just don't want him.

Legend
Legend
anyone think Bradford will get drafted by the Rams, and say that he does not want to play there.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Isn't much of haynesworth guaranteed money already paid?? I think he received a 21 million bonus from the skins this month.Clayton said you could get albert for 3 years at 16 million, which is a steal.

I would take hayneworth, and the 4th if the rams can't sign bradford, or just don't want him.

ok, so it's not quite as bad as I thought. i thought he had another bonus next offseason. only including to 2013 because I doubt he gets that bonus (not guaranteed).

3 years / $16.2 mil

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=nfl&id=2636

Quote:

2/27/2009: Signed a seven-year, $100 million contract. The deal contains $41 million guaranteed, including a $5 million signing bonus and his 2009-2011 base salaries. Haynesworth is due a $29 million "poison pill" in 2013, effectively making it a four-year, $48.2 million deal. Another $15 million is available through incentives. 2010: $3.6 million (+ $21 million guaranteed option bonus due 4/1), 2011: $5.4 million, 2012: $6.7 million (+ $500,000 workout bonus), 2013: $8.5 million (+ $20 million "discretionary signing bonus" + $500,000 roster bonus due 8/31 = Poison Pill Year),

#gmstrong
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

anyone think Bradford will get drafted by the Rams, and say that he does not want to play there.

I heard something about that on the big show today on 97.1 the fan Columbus. That would definitely be an amusing scenario alright. Bradford drafted by the Rams looking all dissapointed and everything and then all of a sudden a trade comes just like with Eli Manning.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
exactly. haynesworth becomes much more affordable and no matter what, even with that deal where they took on all the bonus, it might still cheaper than the anticipated $50 million guaranteed that a 1st overall qb like bradford would command. last year, stafford at #3 got like $43 million guaranteed.

like i said, that'd go a long way towards helping the rams become legit again.

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Redskins still in play for No. 1 pick?

Link Copied to Clipboard