Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#492539 05/04/10 09:50 AM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
The Stimulus Pack is to be released today for MW2. Does anyone know what time the PSN store will have this for download?

Eat it Phil...
T
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
T
The PlayStation Store usually updates it's game material every Thursday evening, EST. I'm not sure of the exact time. I would be shocked if the stimulus package is released on PSN today. Check out IGN.com to be sure.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

The PlayStation Store usually updates it's game material every Thursday evening, EST. I'm not sure of the exact time. I would be shocked if the stimulus package is released on PSN today. Check out IGN.com to be sure.

D

PSN actually changed their updates to Tuesdays now. Must be still evenings when it updates as I haven't seen it released yet.

Eat it Phil...
T
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
T
Sony updated the PS Store a few hours ago

T
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
T
Well, I just downloaded the stimulus map pack last night. It's a semi-waste of money because the price is high and the levels are alike in some ways. However, the new map in the rain is the one I like the most.

S
Legend
Legend
S
yeah, i saw that it was 15 bucks. that's a little ridiculous.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I can't believe they charge you guys for those things.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

I can't believe they charge you guys for those things.

i fear that's the way video games are going to go.

you go and buy a bare bones game and have to pay for stuff through the points system they have now.

i mean, you can do that now, but the stuff isn't vital to the game. i fear that will change. and if it does i may never buy new games again but just play the ones i do have now.

it's bad enough that they charge you 60 bones for a game. even more when it's a sports game and it becomes obsolete in a year.

Legend
Legend
Actually, EA is starting something new all their series. If you buy the game new, you simply use a code on the intruction booklet to "unlock" certain features in the game. No extra cost. Here's the kicker, if you borrow from a friend or buy the game used on eBay, you won't be able to unlock those standard features. I think Madden had locked franchise mode this way last year...or something similiar.

EA will be doing more of this in all of it's series. So you say, "boooo" to EA? Get ready, most game companies will be following suit. They see the EA model ensures more people buy the game new.

I would say it's terrible but will just make me wait longer to buy new games (until they drop to $40). The game companies are losing a ton of money when the first buyers sells the game on eBay.

I've also just recently seen stores offering different upgrades when you pre-order/buy the game from them. So in affect, you might never get a certain upgrade since you bought the game from Walmart instead of EBGames (though I'm sure you could find the code online).

Actually, I like the way we can download updated rosters, pay for new levels or characters, and even download patches to fix bugs. It makes for a better gaming experience. Hey, nobody ever said video gaming was supposed to be a cheap hobby. You don't HAVE to buy the upgrades (or games for that matter).

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
S
Legend
Legend
S
yeah, EA has been on record as saying that used game stores like gamestop/gamecrazy/etc are ruining the industry.

i tend to not buy from gamestop. it makes me sick to know that i trade in a game for 10 bucks and they turn around and sell it for 45. instead i give to my girlfriend's little cousins who'd enjoy it. personally, it makes me feel better.

and giving away codes in the game booklet to unlock stuff definitely seems like it is EA's way of sticking it to gamestop and other used vids outlets.

2119 is spot on though, buying from amazon is the way to go. u can usually get free shipping if you reach a certain amount, they do release day shipping, gift card giveways, etc...

you can usually find games a few bucks cheaper, sometiems even 10-20 bucks cheaper than a best buy or target....

i just don't understand selling sports games for 60 bucks, i'm very fortunate to get hooked up with those, but i could never see myself dropping 120+tax on madden and ncaa every year

Legend
Legend
Quote:

...i could never see myself dropping 120+tax on madden and ncaa every year

I buy NCAA once every other year and skip buying Madden altogether. So $60 every two years isn't bad.

I'll dip my feet into a few other sports games from time to time. Someone recently bought me NBA 10 (ok). I got The Show '09 last year from the same person (was really good). And I just bought 2010 FIFA World Cup. Great game! I bought Hot Shots Golf for $25 on eBay last year (new copy). Awesome golf sim if you can get past the cartoony characters.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Quote:

i tend to not buy from gamestop. it makes me sick to know that i trade in a game for 10 bucks and they turn around and sell it for 45. instead i give to my girlfriend's little cousins who'd enjoy it. personally, it makes me feel better.

You gotta look at it from their perspective. They have to pay rent, utiliities, employees, etc... They have no idea how long the game is going to sit on their shelves etc. Overall its not a bad deal, the game stop by me offers incentives like an extra $25 if you trade in 4 games at once. I just did that for EA Skate 3. I traded in like 6 games and got $110 in store credit so I got the game for free and most of the way there for my next game I decide to buy (Could be the new Western game coming out, not sure yet).

I understand the thought though of them buying a game and getting sometimes up to double for it, but thats retail in general. Think those sneakers youre wearing cost the stores $80? More than likely they cost the store around $37 bucks and the retail store doubles the cost.

Overall I dont think its that bad, I get money for games I dont play anymore and dont have to hassle with selling them online. Have a central store to go to, get games first day sometimes with free extra DLC and its right on my way home from work.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

2119 is spot on though, buying from amazon is the way to go. u can usually get free shipping if you reach a certain amount, they do release day shipping, gift card giveways, etc...

And the release day shipping is only $5. And usually the games are a few bucks cheaper than in store, so with the release day shipping you end up paying what you in store, but you typically get a pre-order game bonus along with a $10 or $20 gift card.

Eat it Phil...
O
Legend
Legend
O
I don't mind Gamestop too much. I get my games from there more often than not (I think mostly because they seem to have a store that's in a convenient location wherever I might be). I also don't mind their trade-in values very much since, let's face it, you're always going to get more from them than if you keep the game. Either way, you're probably not going to play it again (at least I don't). I just see it as subsidizing the cool new game I want to play.

EA isn't exactly my favorite company, and their tactic against buying used games is ridiculous. I can see charging for map packs, additional content and such, but supposedly you'll need one of those codes to play multiplayer/co-op for some games. Wow! As a frequent used-game purchaser, that has me pretty worried.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Fantasy & Gaming MW2 Stimulus Pack (PS3)

Link Copied to Clipboard