Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#495411 05/15/10 06:13 AM
Hooper Offline OP
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
Being a diehard Indians minor league fan I knew about Mama.If your a Indians fan she took care of your favorite player in the minors.

You can see her in this piece from Good Morning America on ABC a couple of years ago. http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=5690678

From Kinston Indians website Evelyn Mama Kornegay

KINSTON, N.C. - Evelyn "Mama" Kornegay, as she was lovingly known, died early Friday morning at her home from pancreatic cancer.

Mama provided a loving, home away from home for approximately 150 Kinston Indians players over the last 15 years. From future All-Stars like Victor Martinez, to those who never made it out of the Carolina League, Mama loved all of her "boys" as she adoringly called them.

"It is impossible to measure the impact Mama had on the Kinston and Cleveland Indians," said Kinston Indians general manager, Shari Massengill. "From players, to coaches to us in the front office, she never stopped giving. The Kinston Indians not only lost their biggest fan, but this community has lost one of its best people."

"This ballpark will not be the same without Mama," Indians assistant general manager, Janell Bullock, said. "Everyone who met her fell in love with her. She just had that effect on people. I will never hear the word 'babe' without thinking of Mama."

"She was the most loving, caring and giving person I have ever met," said Indians director of broadcasting, Chris Hemeyer. "Her positive outlook and love of life was with her even as she battled cancer. She lit up every room she ever walked into."

Details on funeral arrangements were not immediately available, and will be released once they are finalized.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Thanks.

I never heard of her, but I am glad I now have.

R.I.P Mama

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Evelyn "Mama" Kornegay RIP

Link Copied to Clipboard