Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=tsn-panthersqbjimmyclaus

Panthers QB Jimmy Clausen’s Character Still Being Questioned
SportingNews
May 7, 2:17 pm EDT

Carolina completed its mandatory minicamp last week, and the overall consensus about Jimmy Clausen, the Panthers’ second-round pick, is a positive one — if you’re listening to general manager Marty Hurney

"I still can’t believe we got him," Hurney told CBSSports.com’s Clark Judge. "He was [at minicamp] last weekend, and he was great, and since we’ve taken him he’s done everything right. We’ll see."

But Hurney and the Panthers appear to be in the minority when it comes to assessing Clausen’s off-field “issues.”

One scout let Judge in on why his team passed over the former Notre Dame quarterback: “I heard horror stories about the guy off the field to the point where I wasn’t interested. If I have the choice, I don’t want him in my room.”

Judge quoted another scout: "Most people you talk to think the kid is a jerk. With what I was listening to, I thought I was hearing Ryan Leaf all over again. He has a sense and a degree of entitlement that’s off the charts."

Clausen fell to the Panthers with the No. 48 overall pick, and surprisingly, 23 spots behind Tim Tebow(notes) who was projected by many draftniks to fall to the second, third or fourth round.

Still, there are conflicting reports on whether Clausen’s character issues, such as his arrogance and sense of entitlement, have been an issue since arriving in Charlotte, N.C.

Just this week, NFL Network’s Jason La Canfora cited an unnamed Panthers official saying Clausen drew “rave reviews” and could easily compete with Matt Moore(notes) for the starting job.

However, SN contributor and ProFootballTalk.com editor Mike Florio reported Thursday that Clausen has already "pissed off multiple receivers and at least one tight end by ‘barking’ at them during minicamp practice, and that receiver Steve Smith ‘basically thinks Jimmy is a punk.’"

Smith has refuted Florio’s story and calls the punk statement "all BS.", and a post on the Charlotte Observer’s website today backs Smith’s denial.

The Observer’s Charles Chandler writes that he "talked at length to Smith about Clausen and there was not even a hint of such a thing. As a matter of fact, Smith expressed the exact opposite."

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Clausen is garbage... All ND Hype!!

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
it's all open to interpertation. They say he was barking at the tight end. maybe the tight end was doing something stupid?? people who support him, will say that is great leadership. the detractors say he is an arrogant ass. I guess you have to be there know how the guy really is. Only time will tell.

Legend
Legend
See, the Cleveland media is far from being the only media that does everything it can to stir up crap....

yebat' Putin
M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
Well one thing we can take from this is that its not only us that thinks Florio is full of crap, so does Steve Smith

"All I know is, as long as I led the Southeastern Conference in scoring, my grades would be fine." - Charles Barkley
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Dont care not our problem.....Have fun guys

Legend
Legend
This comes down to what you want to believe.

If you started out thinking that Clausen was a jerk, this article didn't convince you otherwise,,

Same is true in reverse..

Personally, it's not our problem,,,, except to say that if Clausen lights it up and shows he's a good citizen, people will say the front office screwed up by not taking him..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Doesn't it ALWAYS come down to "what you want to believe?" I could say that in spite of all the facts pointing to the Big Bang Theory holding relevance and scientific support, I still believe that a gigantic tortilla monster in the sky created the world.

Clausen had a well-deserved reputation coming out. Those reps don't happen by accident. They are based in fact. So it's up to Clausen to overcome a deserved and earned reputation.

Reading something positive from the team that's about to pay him several million dollars isn't worth reading. Only if they were to man-up and say he's an ass would it be worth reading. That's the nature of spin in today's world.

When you're a proven thief, it takes a lifetime of good behavior to even attempt to overcome that reputation. So when Clausen has earned a reputation of being a punk, it's going to take years of good behavior in the NFL to overcome that.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Doesn't it ALWAYS come down to "what you want to believe?"

Yup it sure does..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Sounds like you are just cynical and you aren't going to believe he's turned the corner, not now, not ever... Sounds like he could be great for 3 or 4 years but then the first time he walks past a kid looking for an autograph you can conveniently claim that he's just the same old punk that he's always been.

yebat' Putin
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
To Toad:

Quote:

could say that in spite of all the facts pointing to the Big Bang Theory holding relevance and scientific support, I still believe that a gigantic tortilla monster in the sky created the world.

You mean ... that's not the way it happened?

DC:

Quote:

Sounds like you are just cynical and you aren't going to believe he's turned the corner, not now, not ever... Sounds like he could be great for 3 or 4 years but then the first time he walks past a kid looking for an autograph you can conveniently claim that he's just the same old punk that he's always been.

Ben Roethlisberger had a bit of a reputation of being a jackass with an enormous sense of entitlement coming out of college as well. It just didn't get much publicity. However, Claussen could well be a victim of his own reputation multiplied by what is happening now with Roethlisberger. Who wants to hitch their wagon to a guy who might get suspended and/or alienate his entire team in a few years.

Just my ever so humble $0.02 worth.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I still believe that a gigantic tortilla monster in the sky created the world

I believe what you're referring to is called The Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Last edited by clevesteve; 05/17/10 03:44 PM.
Legend
Legend
The difference between Ben and Claussen is the school. Big Ben went to a school without a lot of hype and fanfare and minimal big time exposure... Claussen went to Notre Dame and like it or not, there is a HUGE bias against Notre Dame by the majority of college football fans.. so who knows if he really is that bad.

yebat' Putin
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Just like Ben, he might be a jackahole, but if he leads the team and produces wins, IMO it will not matter. Many a player have been idiots. QBs have egos, the better ones have bigger ones. It goes with the position. They are expected to be in charge. Some let that entitlement get out of hand, others know how to use it. You could say Tom Brady is sort of conceited, but others will call it confidence.

To me, Clausen looks like a good QB. He has the tools, and the pedigree. If he alienates his teammates, it will be his demise. If he uses his confidence to succeed and lead his teammates he could end up being really good.

Rapistburger probably lucked out that he got caught being the arse he is. I truly believe, and some comes from people who are around him and follow the Steelers very closely, that he is not well liked by his teammates. Maybe his downfall will wake him up and straighten him out. I hope not, because I despise him for different reasons. I think once the Steelers get on a roll and Ben makes a big play, the yinzers will forget all about his shortcomings.

For the record though.......Florio is a hack. This story uses old comments and is embellished with his crap opinion.

#gmstrong
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Certainly not now, and not in a year or two. Now if he goes a few years without any incidents or stories, I'll reconsider my stance.

Unfortunately for a guy like Clausen, his reputation started in high school, then continued on to the end of his college career. That's not a one-year attitude problem, that's a life-long problem. So one or two years of no-news or hyperbole from unreliable sources isn't going to do a thing for me. It's no different than the Ryan Leaf's of the world. He was a first-rate punk and blew it. Then, a few years ago, we see a Sports Center tribute to Leaf and how he's finally turned it around by coaching at a no-named school in nowhere Texas. Next thing we know, he's hiding out in Canada after thieving pain-killers from the kids of the team he was coaching.

I wouldn't say I'm cynical, but I'm not about to read an article from the team that drafted him saying he's really a good guy and believe it. I'll leave that for the suckers in Carolina.

YTown, it could have.

Steve..............A flying spaghetti monster created the world? Dude..........seriously............are you on drugs? That's just stOOpid. It's a Tortilla monster. God.........talk about not knowing your religion........

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Doesn't it ALWAYS come down to "what you want to believe?"

No, because facts often throw a monkey wrench into the whole thing. I want to believe that you don't just type crap on here simply to read your own words, but the facts tell me...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Clausen's character still questioned ....

Link Copied to Clipboard