Next Thread
Print Thread
B
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
B
Familiar with Battelle? http://www.battelle.org/

I've recently applied there and had a quick interview with the HR person there today. I'm not at all unhappy with where I work right now.. Just like the Columbus area and am looking to move up the ladder. Was wondering if anybody from the area or anywhere else had any knowledge of the company?

"I'm a mog. Half man, half dog. I'm my own best friend."
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I know it well. I was a contractor with an office there. Very well respected company, in a great neighborhood. It would probably be a great career move if you could get a position there.

[Linked Image]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
By the way the hours there are pretty crazy depending on your role. It's not uncommon for there to be a lot of activity there in the middle of the night.

[Linked Image]
C
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
C
Battelle has a tremendous reputation in the Columbus area. 1 thing is for sure, it ain't going nowhere. They do very cutting edge stuff and have tons of gov't contracts paying the bills.

That would be a good place to get a job.

(I applied once to Battelle, but got the flu the week they called me for my interview. The only time in my adult life I've had a fever. I still tried to give a technical interview over the phone. I felt it went poorly, so I'm pretty sure it did.)

Original Dawg Talkers Pick'ems Champion

Dawg Talk Member Since: 08/24/01
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have friends there that have been there quite some time. The company has a hell of a rep around here..take the offer if you get one

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm in my 10th year working there. I'm a Research (Computer) Scientist in the Statistics and Information Analysis group. Anything you want to know, PM me.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
B
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
B
jc... Wow didn't think I'd get such a large response. Well I've got my 2nd interview Tuesday (1st was just from the head recruiter). Another one over the phone. It's good to know it's very well thought of. My current company has much of the same reputation around Erie... so I don't want to leave here and go work from someone who goes through employees like the Hamburgler goes through hamburgers. If I'm going to move the family I want to make sure I have some stability.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A ton of stability. Good balance of commerical, defense and govt projects so it can weather changes in policy and administrations pretty well. Interesting work on the research side, and a pretty interesting history.

Xerox machines, UPC code, self-adhesive stamps, pizza delivery warmers, anti-tampering wrapping for food and medicine, CD-ROM/DVD technology ... and a bunch of stuff I cannot mention.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Battelle has an amazing reputation. I had a contract with them to provide Temporary help for the facility near NASA.. this was 2000 to 2003..

THey treated our employees with respect (something that doesn't often happen with Temp Employees) and it was pretty clear to me that they treated thier own employees the same way..

As with any organization, it's who you report to that either makes it great or average.. But generally, they hire the cream and they treat them well..

All things being equal, if the job is exciting to you and the pay is fair,,, I can highly recommend them..

Good luck and keep us posted...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
I know a few people that work there and they all really like it.

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Do you know the story about the invisible dog fence?

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Nope. I have heard about the ape-sicle though.

What's the story about the invisible dog fence?

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
They gave the intellectual property paperwork on it to a new guy on a Friday around lunchtime to take to the patent office downtown. Instead of heading straight there he went out to a bar with friends, had some beers, then finally stumbled in just before the office closed.

In the meantime another patent was filed on an invention using the same exact technology in another part of the country that afternoon. They eventually lost the court case for the patent because of the time stamp.

If he had gone straight to the office, Battelle would have the IP rights today.

[Linked Image]
B
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
B
Well just had my second interview over the phone... this one being with the hiring manager and two others. It was more of a technical interview and getting to know each other. It went good. I guess we'll know in a few days if it went as well as I thought it did (crossing fingers). The people seemed nice and it definitely sounds like I'm qualified for what they are looking for. But you just never know what they're truly thinking... Maybe they don't like I have three kids and am rellocating... maybe my knowledge in one area isn't as strong or is too strong... I'll be waiting for a call from the HR person now one way or the other. DING... one sec phone call... haha

The HR person just called. That was quick Face-to-face on next Friday @2pm. So, I'll be in Columbus then... keep you posted.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Awesome Barf! Good luck! I loved living in Columbus. Well, until my first marriage went south. LOL!

[Linked Image from i75.photobucket.com]

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Outstanding,, Best of luck to you Barf....

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
B
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
B
Update...

Had face-2-face on Friday. Went well I think. I was thinking it went really well when I left on Friday. Then you start to think more, and second guess. So not sure... we'll see in the next couple days. The HR person said I should know soon as this group is pretty decisive.

Legend
Legend
Trust the force Barf

Seriously... you can do nothing about it at this point except write either a letter or email to those you met with, thanking them for thier time and expressing your interest in the position and the orgainazation. it's a classy touch that doesn't happen nearly enough today.

Good luck to you

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Trust the force Barf

Seriously... you can do nothing about it at this point except write either a letter or email to those you met with, thanking them for thier time and expressing your interest in the position and the orgainazation. it's a classy touch that doesn't happen nearly enough today.

Good luck to you

I completely agree with this. My ex got a job simply because he was the only one of the qualified candidates to write a thank you letter. It is SERIOUSLY a lost art in employment these days.

[Linked Image from i75.photobucket.com]

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I agree as well.

It just shows a willingness to go that extra step that others may, and probably will, fail to take. A little extra effort may go a long way.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
U
Rookie
Rookie
U
Quote:

They gave the intellectual property paperwork on it to a new guy on a Friday around lunchtime to take to the patent office downtown. Instead of heading straight there he went out to a bar with friends, had some beers, then finally stumbled in just before the office closed.

In the meantime another patent was filed on an invention using the same exact technology in another part of the country that afternoon. They eventually lost the court case for the patent because of the time stamp.

If he had gone straight to the office, Battelle would have the IP rights today.

This is not possible. The USPTO only tracks filing date, not filing time. Any two applications filed on the same day would be considered to be filed at the exact same time. It has always been this way.

Seems you have been told a tall tale.

B
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
B
Got it! Didn't even get a chance to draft that thank you letter...

Offer letter to come electronically by the end of the day. Let's make a deal

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Congrats

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

LOL Out "freakin" standing my man... Way to go... CONGRATS

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Congrats! Now comes the hardest part....moving.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Sweet! Congrats.

btw..once the papers are signed and you start ask about that dog fence story. maybe it was a tall tale.

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

so what kind of work will you be doing?

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Sweet! Congrats.

btw..once the papers are signed and you start ask about that dog fence story. maybe it was a tall tale.

I have been ... no one has heard that

#gmstrong
B
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
B
jc... thanks to all.

I'll be doing IT related stuff... not anything ground breaking.

So, starting the house/apt search. Want to rent at first. Need 3br... How's the Westerville schools? Any parts of town I don't want to live. Right now I'm looking in Dublin, Upper Arlington, and Westerville. Westerville seems like I can get a little more for my money.

F
Rookie
Rookie
F
Those are great areas around Columbus and good schools. Expect to pay some high real estate tax though. Worthington and Clintonville are great areas as well.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I would definitely choose UA and you can't beat it's proximity to Battelle.

[Linked Image]
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Anybody from Columbus (Battelle)...

Link Copied to Clipboard