Next Thread
Print Thread
#513703 07/23/10 12:46 PM
B
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
B
A month or two ago I posted about interviewing for a job in Columbus. Well I got it and am now here. Couple questions... what's there to do in this town family-wise in the summer besides the zoo, Clippers and Crew.

Secondly, and most importantly ... Is Columbus local tv considered Bengals country or Browns? I mean are the Browns more than likely going to be on TV? Or are the Bengals usually on? If the Browns are on more than 50% of the time then I won't get the ticket and will just head to the nearest bar for the games... but if not I might have to get the ticket.

Oh and what's with all the people getting shot, ran over, and stabbed lately?

"I'm a mog. Half man, half dog. I'm my own best friend."
Legend
Legend
Congrats on the getting the job.. beyond that I don't know a darn thing about Columbus..

yebat' Putin
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Welcome to the 'Bus man! There's tons to do... Polaris, Easton, parks in every community surrounding the city. Fort Rapids Indoor waterpark over here toward Reynoldsburg... Zoombezi Bay. But I definitely recommend getting NFL Sunday Ticket. Supposedly, Cbus is 75% Browns fans but if the Bengals are doing better than the Browns, 10TV will air the Bengals games. This year, with all the Browns games at 1:00pm, there are a lot of conflicts with the Bengals schedule. So I would get the ticket. Anyway, good luck and hope you enjoy.

B
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
B
Thanks DC and Kardiac...

My wife will love Easton.. was wondering where the malls were. We just got a house in Pickerington too so it looks fairly close.

What about golf courses? Any nice ones I can go hack at?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Where in Columbus do you live? I'd compare the bengals- browns schedules, and anytime they overlap, other than maybe the first game, they will show the bengals. That will tell you if you need the ticket.

Good bars to watch the games at are

brewery district browns backers- b dubs south high st
capital city browns backer- winking lizard on bethel
westervilre bb- Jimmy v"s Westerville

also Columbus has one of the highest crime rates in the country and if you like ice and sleet, you will love columbus winters.

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Oops, didn't see pickerington, that's southeast isn't it? I'm not too familiar with that area.

Firefox, or foxfire is a nice course near 270 and 71 south side

Legend
Legend
Unfortunately they show a lot of bungholes games here. Make sure to go to an OSU game!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Where in Columbus do you live? I'd compare the bengals- browns schedules, and anytime they overlap, other than maybe the first game, they will show the bengals. That will tell you if you need the ticket.

Gotta correct some of these..

Brewery District BB is at Jimmy V's 912 S High.. they moved.

Buckeye Browns Backers is the one at Winking Lizard on Bethel and Godown

Capital Area is at The Winking Lizard at 23 and Crosswoods

SaintDawgâ„¢

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Lately, I'd say STAY INSIDE. So friggin' hot . . .

The jazz and rib festival is this weekend at the downtown waterfront. Trombone Shorty is at 9:15 tonight. He is awesome!

As far as malls go, I hope I can get what I need at Tuttle Crossing (Dublin) because I avoid Easton and Polaris like the plague. The crowds and parking always seem like a hassle to me.

You gotta eat a burger at Thurmon's Cafe (German Village).

You also gotta go to the Ohio Deli (Way South on High St.)

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Don't forget Schmidt's too! YUMMMMMMMM!

I second the Jazz and Rib Fest this weekend. If my hubs wasn't working this weekend, we'd be driving down for it. ALWAYS loved going there when I lived there.

[Linked Image from i75.photobucket.com]

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
Go to the Wooden Bucket - or Oak Bucket......ah, I don't know - some sort of bucket restaurant - on main st. in Bexley, right across from the north side of Capital U. If your waiter happens to be a decent looking 5' 11" male with short, fairly dark hair - tell him "hey, your dad a Browns fan? Used to have a Browns truck? Then tip him well as he gapes at you and thinks "dang, dad really DOES have friends watching me".

PLEASE? Pretty please??????

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Don't forget Schmidt's too! YUMMMMMMMM!

Oh MAN, how did I forget??? At least now I'm thinking of something other than ribs . . .

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Speakin of Schmidts.. The Ohio State Fair in Columbus will be running from July 28 - August 6. I always hit up the Schmidts tent and get a Bahama Mama and the german potato salad. Now THATS a YUM!!

SaintDawgâ„¢

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
I moved from columbus about 6 years ago so my memory is a bit foggy. Family stuff, I recall a place called COSI. I think it was a hands on science kind of thing iirc.

Bengals vs Browns, it's whoever gets them better ratings. Last year I lived there, they started off airing the Browns, mid season they switched to the Bengals.

I had lived on the western part of 270 and went to a BW3 to watch the games (it's not downtown, but was close to home).

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
The only golf courses I remember are Muirfield and OSU. My ex used to hack down there, but I never paid attention to where he went, I was just glad he was out of the house for a few hours. LOL!

I love Easton for a pleasant outdoor day of casual shopping, but like was mentioned, it can be a friggin zoo, especially on weekends. Still, it is nice.

Great place for you and kids - COSI. I haven't been to it since it was moved from the old building to the new one like 10 years ago, but I loved it at the old location.

For me, for nostalgia's sake, I'd probably walk around campus on OSU. I haven't really been on campus much since 98 though.

Alum Creek State Park, Buckeye Lake State Park, Columbus Botanical Gardens, Franklin Park Conservatory - just a few other places off the top of my head. Mind you, I haven't lived in that area since late 99, so I'm not sure how nice those places are anymore, but from what I remember, worth a look. I am also not as familiar with the eastside of town (Pickerington etc) as I always lived campus area and north.

Columbus is also good for dinners out and movies (tons of movie theaters). The food can be very ecclectic, especially near campus, because there are so many international students and companies. One of my fave places to eat down there was an Ethiopian joint. FANTASTIC! And, if I remember correctly, any Cameron Mitchell restaurant was VERY good (though pricey). My favorite was always Cap City Diner.

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Oh yeah, the Ohio State Fair, always a good family outing. And stopping by Schmidt's for a Bahama Mama...

#gmstrong
Squires #513719 07/23/10 05:40 PM
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
And if you are a card game/board game geek there is the Origins gaming convention in the summer.

Squires #513720 07/23/10 05:52 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

And if you are a card game/board game geek there is the Origins gaming convention in the summer.

a coworker is there every year. I think he might actually help organize it, not sure.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Wow, I butchered that list.

I think the westerville location is right though.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Could anyone give me their own personal reviews of these two places? They just recently aired on "No Reservations"

"Clever Crow at Circus"
1227 North High St., Columbus, OH 43201

and

"Kihachi Japanese Restaurant"
2667 Federated Blvd., Columbus, OH 43235

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

Gotta correct some of these..

Brewery District BB is at Jimmy V's 912 S High.. they moved.

Buckeye Browns Backers is the one at Winking Lizard on Bethel and Godown

Capital Area is at The Winking Lizard at 23 and Crosswoods

I don't do much in Columbus, but I do make it a point to stop at Planks a time or two, not far from German Village, for a sub and brew or two before pushing to Cleveland.

If I lived there, I would make that a regular pit stop.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
The one restaurant in Columbus that I miss regularly is the Figlio in Upper Arlington. The Chicken Diablo is killer and I love the place itself. The family that runs it is great and the staff is awesome. For a nicer night out it's not very expensive and the food is fantastic. The ceasar is great there too.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
You a ballplayer ? I'm always looking to upgrade my softball team,.... Realize PickTown is a good haul from me though,...

Columbus is a great middle-American town, if you take that approach. We love it here, but live up North in Delaware (close to The Old Lady's work). There is a HUGE car show here tomorrow, if you like classics.

Always something to do, on any weekend - always.

Picnics with The Pops - the Columbus Symphony Orchestra - is hosting Kansas this week,...

Have seen Rush, Van Halen and Kiss here,...

The OHSAA track meet is here every year in June,....awesome. Wrestling in March,....

We'll have to hook up,....The Old Lady was from Fairview before I stole her away from The Marines,....

Oh,....on the NFL, it really boils down to how well the Browns and Bengals are doing - and that's when the local TV station gets to "decide", but they are both always on somewhere at one of the bars. Most of the time, there aren't that many conflicts, and when they do occur, they are easily circumvented.

Realize you probably left family in Erie, but if it wasn't in Pennsylvania, it'd be Youngstown.

B
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
B
Everyone keeps talking about German Village.. gonna have to take the wife for a night on the town as soon as she's ready after the baby. We love festivals and fairs too... so I'm sure we'll be hitting one of them up here soon.

OoooRahJoice, played baseball my whole life... but haven't played in about 10 years. Delaware would be a hike every week... but if you're short guys sometime and need a sub or something I'll fill in.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Schmidt's Sausage Haus in the German Village is great. I lived a mile from it. Also, I'd suggest the Thurman Cafe(best burgers ever) and Hounddog's 3 Degree pizza(get the Smokin' Joe crust...great pizza).

As for places to visit, I'd definitely suggest COSI. They have a Titanic exhibition that's pretty cool. There's always outdoor concerts and something to do in the park as well.

C-bus is a great city, glad I got a chance to live there for a little while.

[Linked Image from i190.photobucket.com]
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I live right next door to you in Reynoldsburg, been there about 10 years. I really like Columbus - the suggestions made by everyone above are great. Another restaurant suggestion that is nearby if you like Italian food is Scali; it is on the corner of 256 and Livingston.

As far as golf courses that are close that I like: Cumberland Trail (Pataskala), Blacklick Woods (Reynoldsburg - they have a regular course and a really nice par 3), Turnburry isn't bad for something near you (it's on 256 in Pickerington), Tartan East (in New Albany, used to be Winding Hollow Country Club), and Willow Run (Alexandria).

A little farther drive but well worth it - Longaberger Golf Club, rated best public course in Ohio for the last 8 years. It is a fabulous course. Cooks Creek is also awesome - it is on the former farm of pro golfer John Cook. Eaglesticks in Zanesville is another one to check out.

There are plenty more, but those are some of my favorites.

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
On the golf side I'll second what you've put.

Played Blacklick often. The place I played the most was Champions. Great layout, unfortunately is not taken care of as it should because it's a city course. Interesting back story behind that.

Longaberger is an absolute must at least once. Fantastically taken care of.

New Albany also has a nice course.

Scioto and Muirfield are obviously great if you can find a member to get you on.

btw...does anyone here know someone who lives on the course at Muirfield or is a member themselves? I'd like to do a house trade for the tournament next year and I can send info on my house upon request here in Hawaii.

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Congrats on the job! PM me, let me know what building they've stashed you in at Battelle.

We live in the Northwest suburbs, Powell. It's where the zoo and Zoombezi bay are.

The folks on here have given you some good tips. German Village area has some good eats - Plank's, Schmidt's and Thurman's.

Zoo is a good time, as is the Crew and COSI.

As for golf, Blackhawk in Westerville is also nice. I use Safari by the zoo a lot, but it's close.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Hey I'm in Pickerington too. Turnberry Golf Course is here but I'm definitely not much of a golfer so I can't tell you how it is. Hit me up sometime.

B
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
B
Thanks all for the info.. appreciate it. Anybody hunt? Think this year I'll probably head back to the Erie area for a weekend or two. But I'm still going to need some woods to stomp around sometime. Any large game lands close by worth checking out?

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
There has to be. A bunch of guys that I used to work with used to hunt somewhere in the area. I can't help much with that though. I can't remember what I did yesterday, let alone something I haven't heard about since 98. LOL!

'Hopefully one of the other folks around here can point you in the right direction.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Thanks all for the info.. appreciate it. Anybody hunt? Think this year I'll probably head back to the Erie area for a weekend or two. But I'm still going to need some woods to stomp around sometime. Any large game lands close by worth checking out?

Just south of Columbus is farm country all the way to Cincy.

On my drives up in the fall I must see 50 dead deer on the side of the highway and many in the cut down corn rows in that 70 mile stretch.

My guess is many deer are harvested in that stretch, not to mention bird hunting if that's your thing.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
ok, I compared the schedules, these are the weeks where WBNS would show the bengals over the browns

1,2,3,5,7, 10, 11, 14, 16. Barring any late season NFL flex scheduling, it is very likely that the Browns will not be shown in columbus these weeks. Looks like 9 games, that seems like a lot. Last year I think we only got bumped 5 times.

I was thinking WBNS may throw us a bone and air one of our early season games, but the bengals open up the year against NE and Bal, and we open with Tampa and KC, not exactly marquee matchups.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Columbus Folks

Link Copied to Clipboard