Legend
Quote:

Sources: Jets reach out to Owens' agent

Sources: Jets reach out to Owens' agent
EmailPrintComments
By Adam Schefter
ESPN
Archive
The New York Jets, who once traded for Brett Favre and signed LaDainian Tomlinson this offseason, now are exploring the idea of signing Terrell Owens, according to league sources.

The Jets have contacted Owens' agent, Drew Rosenhaus, and have debated the idea of bringing the high-profile wide receiver to training camp.

A deal between the Jets and Owens still is considered a longshot; one person estimated the Jets' chances at signing the high-profile wide receiver at "20 percent."

Ultimately, this is similar to the situation in which the Jets contacted quarterback JaMarcus Russell but never signed him. Still, the Jets are debating Owens' acquistion as head coach Rex Ryan wants any player that improves the team's chances of winning.

The Cincinnati Bengals remain the favorite to sign Owens. The Bengals are offering an incentive-laden contract and they have told Owens he has until Wednesday to agree to a deal.

Even so, now that the Jets have made contact with Owens, the receiver has options in the days ahead.

Adam Schefter is an ESPN NFL Insider.

Link

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Braylon and T.O. on the same team? wow.. looks like Braylon will be a back up now!! especially after Holmes gets off suspension. hahahaa...

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
Ouch.... BE and TO on the same team... Yikes...

That team will be known as Ego-Central....

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Who will have more drops next year if he signs, the Jets or the rest of the AFC?

I guess that depends on if our QBs throw it to Royal.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Isn't Santonio Holmes there, too?

Sounds as though TO's other option is Cincy with Ocho. Another ego-fest.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

Quote:

Isn't Santonio Holmes there, too?

Sounds as though TO's other option is Cincy with Ocho. Another ego-fest.

I have mixed emotions about that. They could easily push each other to another level. That could be a good thing or a horribly ugly parade of "Leon" commercials. The last thing I want to see is Cincy's passing game to turn into the Greatest Show on Earth. Mike Brown could stumble across a good team in spite of himself and then they'd have one shining season before the manages to ruin it.

I can't wait for training camps to open so we can get some answers.

"Let people think this is a dumpster fire," - Mike Pettine
Legend
Legend
The key with the Bengals is, and has been, Carson Palmer. When he's on his game, the Bengals are really tough. But when he struggles, the entire team struggles.

Besides, if he doesn't have time to throw, it doesn't matter who his WRs are.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I have a strong feeling he goes to the Bengals.

That would be weird. When we refer to that "douche-bag Bengal receiver with the reality show" we might have to be more specific.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5411203

Bengals discuss deal with Owens

CINCINNATI -- Cincinnati Bengals owner Mike Brown is trying to produce his own reality show.

Terrell Owens. Chad Ochocinco. Together in Cincinnati.

Brown said on Monday that the team has discussed a contract with Owens and his agent, Drew Rosenhaus. The Bengals passed on the chance to sign the 36-year-old receiver after a tryout in March, but have given it more thought now that he remains a free agent.

Sources had told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen that the St. Louis Rams also were interested in signing Owens, however the team decided Monday against adding Owens, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

If Owens accepts the offer, the Bengals would lead the league in reality show stars. Receiver Chad Ochocinco appeared on "Dancing With the Stars" in the offseason, and has a dating show called "Ochocinco: The Ultimate Catch" currently playing on VH1. Right after Ochocinco's show comes "The T.O. Show."

While Ochocinco eliminated two contestants in his recent show, Owens donned a metrosexual look for a fashion show -- bare chest under an open jacket and a wig.

What they'd do together in a locker room would get some attention, too.

Brown noted that Owens caught the winning 57-yard touchdown pass in Dallas' 31-22 victory over the Bengals in 2008.

"I think that I would rather have him line up on our side of the ball than the other side of the ball," Brown said, at the team's annual preseason luncheon. "I can remember playing Dallas a few years ago when he caught a pass across the middle that won the game for them.

"So I've seen him do it. I've seen him do it against us. I'd like him to be here and do that against somebody else."

So would Ochocinco, who is a close friend and lobbied unsuccessfully for the Bengals to sign Owens in March. Instead, they chose receiver Antonio Bryant and gave him a four-year deal.

One change since then: Cincinnati's quarterback has joined the lobbying effort. Carson Palmer has been working out with Owens in California, and excitedly called coach Marvin Lewis about making a run to sign the receiver.

"Carson was really impressed with a lot of the things that Terrell was doing," Lewis said. "Carson's comments to me -- I guess the word is they resonate well."

Ochocinco has resumed his Twitter lobbying to sign Owens. Last March, he dubbed the two of them Batman (Owens) and Robin. He thinks Palmer, who wears No. 9, has more sway with the front office.

"im out of the loop now, i expressed my beliefs on why he should be here and that's all i can do, [No.]9 has the real power," Ochocinco tweeted.

The final say rests with Brown, who has a history of giving chances to players with trouble in their past. He repeatedly brought back receiver Chris Henry, who was arrested five times and died last year in a fall from his fiancée's truck.

In the last two years, the Bengals also have signed running back Cedric Benson, running back Larry Johnson and receiver Matt Jones, all of whom were let go by teams because of off-field issues.

In an interview with The Associated Press earlier this month, Owens pointed out that he was on good behavior last season in Buffalo, where he caught 55 passes for 829 yards and five touchdowns -- his least-productive full season since early in his career with San Francisco.

"Yes, people can make mistakes," Brown said. "It doesn't mean that they go on the rest of their lives making mistakes. They can get their ship pointed in the right direction. This is a 36-year-old man. He's been through a lot. He's proven as a player and as a person."

Brown formed his opinion about Owens during a one-on-one meeting last March in conjunction with his tryout.

"When he was here, I was surprised," Brown said. "I met with him personally and privately. He is not at all the way his public image is depicted. He's a pleasant person, a quiet person. I found him engaging. And I do trust my own eyes on this sort of thing. I think that if he chose to come here, that he could help our team, and we'll see how that plays out. It's going to be his decision."

If he chooses Cincinnati, he could be paired on the outside with Ochocinco. Lewis said Bryant could move into an inside slot position.

Lewis had to defend against Owens throughout his career.

"So I've been there, I've seen that," Lewis said. "You think he's on reality TV now? Being on that sideline watching him do it is real reality TV. So he's an effective player and you like what he brings. You like what people say about him who have had him on their football team to the positive, and we've just got to make sure none of the negative creeps in anymore. He's been a couple of years beyond that."

Rosenhaus didn't return a message on Monday. He also represents Ochocinco, who is entering the final season on his contract with the Bengals. The team has an option for an additional season in 2011.

Information from ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen, ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter and The Associated Press was used in this report.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Quote:

When we refer to that "douche-bag Bengal receiver with the reality show" we might have to be more specific.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

In the last two years, the Bengals also have signed running back Cedric Benson, running back Larry Johnson and receiver Matt Jones, all of whom were let go by teams because of off-field issues.

The writer also forgot Adam "Pacman" Jones too. Add in TO to that roster.....good luck! Seriously, what the bleep is going on down there?

I'd be hard pressed to find a Cincy fan that isn't upset about this. TO, Pacman, Matt jones, Benson....ugh!

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
C
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
C
If Terrell Owens is signed..then Matt Jones will be cut...

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

The writer also forgot Adam "Pacman" Jones too. Add in TO to that roster.....good luck! Seriously, what the bleep is going on down there?

I'd be hard pressed to find a Cincy fan that isn't upset about this. TO, Pacman, Matt jones, Benson....ugh!

The Bengals haven't learned a damn thing over the years.. Character does matter.. Talent matters also, but talent without character means you may get a good guy on the field, but only until he decides to implode... And when they implode, they tend to take the whole team down with them...

That just doesn't sound like a strong plan.. not to me anyway.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Maybe they're intentionally doing this to create a "bad guy" image. Like the Raiders used to do ("we lead the league in penalties and we like it that way"). The Bengals load their team with high-talent, low-brain guys and see what sticks. Though, I wouldn't really call TO and Pacman "high-talent" guys anymore. Old.

Big risk.

Shouldn't they be calling Lawrence Taylor about a spot on their Front-7 right now? He's in trouble with the law right now....they had to have called his agent already.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
S
All Pro
All Pro
S
Well, they stole "who dey", so why not?

Legend
Legend
Jokes aside... any team that has antonio bryant IN THE SLOT should have a monster passing game. Throw in Jermaine Gresham?

Last year I said "The one player I HAVE to get in my FF draft is Aaron Rodgers" and I 'reached' for him in the 2nd. If TO signs w/ Cincy, it's Palmer this year.

Legend
Legend
I don't think anyone doubts their potential for having a crazy offense.....but can they keep everyone out of trouble and happy? Once that goes bad, it's a downhill train wreck....bloody, awful, and you can't stop it.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Maybe they're intentionally doing this to create a "bad guy" image. Like the Raiders used to do ("we lead the league in penalties and we like it that way").

I thiink they aren't creating a 'Bad Guy" image as much as they are a "Dumb Owner' image... JMO however.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I don't think anyone doubts their potential for having a crazy offense.....but can they keep everyone out of trouble and happy? Once that goes bad, it's a downhill train wreck....bloody, awful, and you can't stop it.

There is the problem with TO and the others on this team.. it could be one hell of a show or it could be a complete disaster.. Unless each one of those suspect players has turned over a new leaf,,, I don't see how it could be anything but a disaster.....

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
So long as the team is winning, things will be fine. As soon as the crap hits the fan, which it pretty much always does for every NFL team at some point during the season, then things will go downhill fast.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
It's hard to tell what will happen. I have a feeling it will all unravel, in spite of the many bright spots last season.

This may sound crazy, but I feel like they only managed to come together as a team through the deaths of Zimmer's wife and, of course, Chris Henry.

Palmer has really seemed to take a step back and Benson has proven to still be a knucklehead off the field. And I'm wondering if his OLD work ethic might be back. T.O. could really tip the boat down there.

Like I said, its hard to tell . . .

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I thiink they aren't creating a 'Bad Guy" image as much as they are a "Dumb Owner' image...

Kinda makes you wonder why Paul Brown hasn't reached down from the clouds to administer the 'cosmic bitchslap' to his son's head... that boy is seriously lacking in common sense.

Paul must be spinning like a centrifuge. He'd never let the likes of this rogue's gallery even buy a ticket to watch a game.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I thiink they aren't creating a 'Bad Guy" image as much as they are a "Dumb Owner' image...

Kinda makes you wonder why Paul Brown hasn't reached down from the clouds to administer the 'cosmic bitchslap' to his son's head... that boy is seriously lacking in common sense.

Paul must be spinning like a centrifuge. He'd never let the likes of this rogue's gallery even buy a ticket to watch a game.

Ain't that the truth......

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
You kidding? Paul probably said "screw it, he ain't ever gonna listen. I'm just gonna start a new team and kick his ass".... and I think Paul just drafted Jack Tatum.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
The Bengals have been looking for something ever since they lost Housmanzadeh.. I thought he was the most dependable receiver they had.. and was really the one who made their passing game game go.. Owens is not that kind of receiver..

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Legend
Legend
No, but if they put Chad or Owens in the slot.. they could be real dangerous. I know that someone else suggested Bryant in the slot, but his speed is more conducive to stretching the field.

The size/speed combination of TO or Chad in the slot would be really, really tough for any 3rd DB to deal with.. especially when the other one still has to be respected on the outside.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I may be old fashioned.. but I'm used to thinking of a Burner.. and a posession receiver. Most times I have seen a team try to have all three or four wideouts be burners.. not to mention glory hounds.. it tends to fall to chaos.

but it is exciting football... Live by the sword.. die by the sword

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Sources: Jets reach out to Owens' agent

Link Copied to Clipboard