Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I have hooked up my PC to my big screen HDTV before with no issues, but its a pain in the ass to bring the PC downstairs and rearrange everything. (I have used it in the past to watch PPVs online)

So I want to now try and hook up my girlfriends macbook to the tv. (With college football starting there are games on ESPN3 I would like to watch)

I am not familiar with MACs and want to make sure I get the correct cable. Anyone familiar with doing this sort of thing able to help? I have located the below cable, would this work?

http://www.amazon.com/Mini-DVI-female-Adapter-Cable-Apple/dp/B002LEY28O

Thanks for any help provided.

Eat it Phil...
Legend
Legend
Doesn't your Mac have an HDMI out port that you can cable just like any other device?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Doesn't your Mac have an HDMI out port that you can cable just like any other device?

Good question, I will check that out on my lunch break here in about an hour.

Eat it Phil...
S
Legend
Legend
S
hdmi for sure.

also, don't get conned into buying an overpriced cable from best buy.

monoprice.com

Legend
Legend

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

No HDMI port on the mac, I think the DVI cable I linked in my OP might be what I need.

Eat it Phil...
Legend
Legend
Does your HDTV have a DVI output? I've seen quite a few models that do now, however the screen resolution you get on an HDTV is horrible compared to a standard monitor.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
No DVI on the tv. I think Im just going to give the cable I linked in the OP a shot, its only a couple bucks.

Eat it Phil...
Legend
Legend
DVI IS HDMI.. just without the audio channel.

As long as you have DVI out on your computer, all you need is a DVI to HDMI cable.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

DVI IS HDMI.. just without the audio channel.

As long as you have DVI out on your computer, all you need is a DVI to HDMI cable.

Downside is then he will either have to use the Laptops sound and speakers, or have an audio cable his from the headphones to the TV or a Stereo.

not a major obstacle, but something to be aware of when shopping for the other cables.

Last edited by FloridaFan; 08/24/10 01:09 PM.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
That's just a fact of life. If the computer doesn't have HDMI out, this is his only option.
Without HDMI, the audio will ALWAYS be on a separate cable.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Cool, thanks, this is what I was looking for, just a confirmation.

I know the sound wont be through the TV but thats fine, Its not something I plan on using often. I just noticed Toledo was playing their football opener on ESPN3 and wanted to try and hook the mac up to the TV to watch. Ill deal with sound.

Thanks for the help.

Eat it Phil...
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Most important question is which model of Macbook it is. There are a lot of iterations of Mac laptops and its important to know which one you have so that you can get the proper connection. Once you know what you need, its incredibly easy. I used to answer this exact question a dozen times a week at work. Give me the screen size and when it was bought (or the 3rd 4th and 5th digits of the serial number) and I can tell you exactly what you need. Alternatively, you can give me the last three digits of the serial and that will tell me exactly which computer it is (the last three digits of the serial number of any Apple product are unique to that particular product line).

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
So I ordered that adapter in my OP and it was exactly what I was looking for, works great, thanks for the responses.

Eat it Phil...
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum How to use my HDTV as computer monitor?

Link Copied to Clipboard