Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#528096 09/15/10 10:04 PM
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Anybody seen any of their games this year?

The reason I ask is because I was reading up on some players possibly entering the draft this year when I stumbled upon this bombshell.

Apparently there is a guy there named Dontay Moch who is an incredible talent.

The guy is a DE/OLB who is 6'1" and weighs 245lbs

in 2008 he had 50 tkl's 11.5 sacks and 17 tfl's

in 2009 he had 61 tkl's 6.5 sacks and 20 tfl's

Impressed yet?

What if I told you he runs a 4.2 or better 40 time?

That is NOT a typo, I said 4.2! Last year at his junior pro-day he was clocked at an amazing 4.18 40 time, told to run it again he runs a 4.08 40 time, told to run it again he runs a 4.2 40 time.

That is well beyond insane!

Anybody seen or heard of this kid? He is the 4th rated senior linebacker by Scott Wright.

Legend
Legend
6'1" OLB?.. he's too short, he'll never make it.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

6'1" OLB?.. he's too short, he'll never make it.

James Harrison 6'0"

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
By Chris Murray, Reno Gazette-Journal RENO —
The NFL scouts didn't believe their stopwatches. They were the ones who timed the run. They were the ones who saw it happen. But they didn't believe it. Nevada's Dontay Moch had just run 40 yards in 4.18 seconds. That would be among the fastest times ever recorded. In disbelief, they made him run again. He clocked 4.08 on his second try. That time is almost inhuman. So they made him run again.
On his third and final try, he covered the 40 yards in 4.2 seconds. Maybe he was a little tired, but even that time is run by only the most nimble wide receivers and cornerbacks.

Imagine a 6-1, 245-pound defensive end such as Moch running it. Unthinkable. "He has freakish talent," Wolf Pack defensive coordinator Andy Buh said. "Freakish talent. That would be my two words for Dontay Moch. When he puts his mind to it, he's unstoppable." And Nevada will need Moch to be unstoppable for the Wolf Pack to knock off No. 5 Boise State in the Western Athletic Conference this season.

The Broncos, in their last season in the WAC, were picked by conference coaches in the preseason poll to win their eighth WAC championship in the past nine seasons.

Nevada, which also could be leaving the conference, was picked second. Moch smiled when asked about that day this summer when he awed scouts. "They made me keep running it, because the first two numbers were ridiculous to them," he said. Also ridiculous has been Moch's productivity in his first three seasons at Nevada. The former Arizona high school state champion in the 200 meters has become a defensive menace with the Wolf Pack. He owns school season records in sacks (91/2 in 2008) and tackles for loss (20 in 2009) and needs 71/2 sacks and 10 tackles for loss to set WAC career records. "I think Dontay Moch is a special player," Wolf Pack coach Chris Ault said. "He's one of those guys who can be a difference-maker and has to be. That's the expectation of him." Ask any of the WAC's top players about Moch and one thing comes to mind: speed.

Boise State's all-WAC safety, Jeron Johnson, was a little dubious when told of Moch's sub-4.2 times. But he did acknowledge one thing. "He looks fast," Johnson said. "He looks really fast out there. I can imagine it's a nightmare for our linemen to try and block him." The distressing thing for offensive linemen is that Moch, reigning WAC defensive player of the year, is only tapping his potential. He came to Nevada as a safety before shifting to linebacker and eventually to defensive end. He's still learning the nuances of the position and drilling in technical aspects that will make him a better player. "He's reached maybe 60% of his talent," Buh said. "That's what we're trying to get across to him. How can you tell a guy who's the WAC player of the year that he's only tapped into 60% of his talent? But he's seeing that." The next step in Moch's development, Ault said, is to improve against the run. Moch probably will face a few more double-teams this season after fellow Pack defensive end Kevin Basped turned pro after his junior season. Moch said he was confident he would be able to break through whatever double-teams he faced. The 22-year-old was named the WAC's preseason defensive player of the year last month. Instead of resting on that laurel, he's using it as motivation. "That puts a lot more flame underneath me," Moch said. "It makes me work harder. It makes me want to strive and show that they were right for picking me for that title."

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 09/16/10 09:31 AM.

[Linked Image]

FL_Dawg #528100 09/16/10 09:29 AM
Legend
Legend
FYI, California plays at Nevada tomorrow night (Friday) and it's on ESPN 2.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

FYI, California plays at Nevada tomorrow night (Friday) and it's on ESPN 2.

I have to head to the Corner Bar

What time?

[Linked Image]

FL_Dawg #528102 09/16/10 09:35 AM
Legend
Legend
Starts at 10:00, eastern.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Starts at 10:00, eastern.

Thanks.
I was hoping is wasn't earlier. With it being wing night and all.

[Linked Image]

FL_Dawg #528104 09/16/10 09:54 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

What time?

Are you asking him out?

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

yebat' Putin
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
That's is impressive...but can he play?

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

What time?

Are you asking him out?

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Sorry..... I didn't mean to infer any thing of the sort with the above question

[Linked Image]

FL_Dawg #528107 09/16/10 01:02 PM
Legend
Legend
Wait, so you weren't asking me out?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Wait, so you weren't asking me out?

Heavens no!

(((?))).....wait, are you buy'en the Beer

In that case just tell the young lady behind the Bar to give the guy that resembles the 'Doseces Man' a Beck's

[Linked Image]

PETE314 #528109 09/16/10 05:53 PM
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Quote:

That's is impressive...but can he play?

Judging from the stats he seems like he can play. Nevada has played some pretty descent programs too.

Scott Wright has him as the 4th best senior OLB in this draft.

He has some issues I have read, like once a tackle get's his hands on him he's pretty much done for. I myself have never seen the guy play, I was just looking through Wrights rankings and stumbled upon his name.

I guess the guy is good in coverage, is a terror off the edge and is not a one trick pony when it comes to pass rush moves. But he has his flaws I guess.

The guy supposedly has tons of potential.

Hell the guy could even stand to put on a good amount of weight and muscle and not even have to worry about losing speed.

BTW whoever posted the info about him playing this weekend thx. Hopefullyt I will get to tune into it. If anybody else catches it let me know what you see if I miss it.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
I thought this was a "The Hangover" reference ... talking about your wolfpack growing.

There are no sacred cows.
Legend
Legend
I have the reminder set on the cable and I'm planning on staying up tonight to watch him. I'll post my thoughts, FWIW.

Again, ESPN 2 tonight at 10:00 eastern.

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Thnx man, I will try to catch it myself but I got alot of running around to tonight because I am leaving for Hocking Hills in the a.m so hopefully I make it back in time to watch some of it.

Legend
Legend
Nevada put together a nice little scoring drive.

First look at Moch now.

Legend
Legend
Well, in the first defensive series, didn't see much of him. He got to the QB a second too late on one play, and then most of the other plays were running plays.

Seemed to have a pretty good motor, but it was the first series.

Legend
Legend
God does not want me to see this kid play.

Cal gets the ball back, they run one play, a running play away from Moch, goes the distance for the TD.

Legend
Legend
Well, Moch just got a sack.

He just exploded off the line and simply beat the TE. He was past the TE within about 4 steps. The QB didn't have a chance. Pretty impressive. Seemed unfair for the TE.

Got taken out of the next play by the LT, though.

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I watched a little bit of it, from what I saw he seems to over run plays and has poor recognition in the run game. The guy is in the backfield over half the time but he get's burnt on run plays, the big play Nevada gave up for a touchdown Moch rand right by the guy, he could have hugged the guy if he wanted to.

Overall I would say he is a good prospect as a situational pass rusher but I don't think he is an every down linebacker in the NFL quite yet.

I didn't get to see very much of his coverage skills due to what I thought was some very poor camera work during this game.

Legend
Legend
I only made it to halftime before I had to go to bed.

He was impressive on some of his pass rushes, but, like you said, he seemed to be neutralized somewhat easily, especially on running plays.

And, yeah, the camera work left a bit to be desired.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I only caught bits and pieces of the game.
He looks like a good athlete playing football. Remember he has only been a LBer for 2 years, but there could be some potential there.

Two LBers who are on my watch list are from UNC.

Quan Sturdivant, who is on just about every trophy watch list an ILBer could possibly be on.

Bruce Carter, although he has less accolades is not far behind in talent imo.

I had a chance to watch them play last Saturday and both youngsters looked as if they played up to the level of the hype.

UNC lost the game missing some important starters due to the Tweat issue and suspensions.

Right now I would say that they are 3rd or 4th tier<=(10) prospects for the 2011 draft.

I think it's good from a list perspective, but I don't put to much wait into the College pre-season ratings, because we have a season yet to play and a lot of players strengths and weaknesses will be exposed or you have players whom weren't expected to perform at a high level and shoot up the draft boards.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
I saw a good part of the second half. Moch didn't do anything when I was watching. I was hoping to see him dominate, but the guy didn't look like a football player. He might be an athelete, but he really wasn't showing anything when I was watching that game.

If they're on again, I'll give him another shot... maybe if BSU/Nev is televised, but what I saw what very unremarkable.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Nevada wolfpack

Link Copied to Clipboard