Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
I realize that Holmgren is the team president and pretty much the face of the organization, but did it bother anyone else that Lerner wasn't on the field for the ceremony? The Lerner family was represented by Al's wife, and while I'm sure she's a lovely woman and a vital part of the family - she's not the owner of the team.

I've long been of the opinion that as long as Randy signs the checks I'm cool with what he does - soccer, hiding from the media/public... but yesterday it bothered me that he couldn't bring himself to be on the field - as the owner of the team - for an important day in the organization's history. Should the stars align some day and we win a Super Bowl, is he gonna bring himself to be on the podium? Could he take part in the parade? Will he faint if a camera catches him?

Seriously Randy, you need to take part in something once in awhile.

And another note, this team is in real trouble with ticket sales going forward. There were a lot of empty seats yesterday from my vantage point in 535 - the usual spots - club level, ends of the upper decks, top of the so called Pound - and you know that yesterday is the best attendance is gonna be this year with the possible exeption of the Pittsburgh game and that will be buffered by 10,000 Steeler fans.

The group around me held mostly strong for 10 years - 2 guys left last year, 2 guys left this year, now there's four other empty seats directly to my right. All told out of about 20 seats in my area, I'd say 10 of them were empty for the full game yesterday. Even the people that were there - me included - from the start of the second quarter acted like we were there because we had to be - not because we wanted to be.

0-2. Endless stretch of losses semmingly on the horizon. Horrendous economy for most. Not a great time to be looking to sell tickets if I work for the Browns IMO.

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
Legend
Legend
I think that this is the epitome of worrying about things for the sake of worrying about something.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I agree with purp - he needs to sign the checks and find guys like Holmgren (we hope). That's it. Anything else he does is gravy but not required.

The guy is not about the media spotlight, that's not the worst thing for an owner.

As long as the checks clear and he's trying to find the right front office guys, there's not much more to be asked of him. He turns the team over to those that in theory know much more than he, and that's a pretty smart decision IMO.

Now whether those guys are clearly equipped for the job is another story.

[Linked Image from i45.tinypic.com]
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
I don't care what he does.

In fact, I envy him. He's being reclusive and not being seen. Less fingers to be pointed his way, I say.

I really hope the ship is righted soon because not selling out the stadium? That's not good. But, given the economic troubles hardly a surprise.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
One thing that I noticed last week, we are still wearing the AL patch on our sleeves 8 years later. That should pretty much tell you all that you need to know about Randy.

With that being said, I agree with what others have said about hiring the people for the job. Now with that withstanding, I will say this, he better not re-appear from the shadows if we ever become contenders. My viewpoint on him would completely change if all of a sudden he is visible if we started winning. As long as he stays out of the spotlight then, then I've got no problem with hiring the proper people and staying out of it. The key to it is that he can't take the credit when things are good since he's obviously trying to avoid blame now that we are bad.

[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]
Legend
Legend
Doesn't bither me a bot....

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
All Pro
All Pro
Just sign the checks. Randy doesn't call himself owner he's just a caretaker.

As for emty seats there are times I never go to my seat just watch from the catwalk. Steelers did the right thing by building a small stadium 64,000. Its trendy right now to stay home and watch it in HD and save $300

Legend
Legend
It's a "trend" because of many factors.

I call it safe & economical.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I dont think Randy needed to be on the field, theres times when the owner needs to be seen and others when you take a step back and let others be noticed, this was one of those time, it was thier time not Randys, no need to be down thier, I'm sure Randy took time out to talk to each player or family member who represented them.

I also do believe this organization is one the right track to righting itself and putting forward a winning team on the field, Holgrams plan will take more than two games, and I also believe we have bigger issues.

Legend
Legend
I'm not going to lose any sleep over it but this is something Randy should have been on the field for, this is one of the few things that I think he SHOULD be present for, ceremonial stuff like this... the problem that I see is the disconnect.... I might get blasted but the Lerner family wasn't the owner for any of the guys inducted.. none of them ever even played in this building.. Hopefully as the ring of honor grows and, who knows we might even get a current player worthy of going in, I would hope that if its a player that was drafted and/or played under Randy that he would be there.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Good way to look at it.

B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Randy should have showed up for this... As a fan who went to the "ceremony" I thought it was pretty lame. We had what 3 or 4 guys actually there. Jim Brown didn't show. Ozzie didn't show...

Didn't Mangini tear down all the stuff about old Browns players in the HQ facilities? That is what I don't get. If Mangini tears it down in 2009, why is Holmgren reinstating all this in 2010 when Mangini is STILL HERE?

The timing seems lousy and it seems like putting a legit football team on the field should be Holmgren's #1 priority.

Our last two drafts have been mediocre at best. Last year... Robiskie, Mack, Veikune, Maiava, Massaqoio (SP?)... Wow.

This year spending 3 picks on Hardesty... not to mention we took Ward who I love but also has an injury...

I don't know. Are we 20 years out from winning?

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Lerner is why the Browns are what they are/have been.....I'll leave it at that

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
Legend
Legend
Randy, yes. If Dad was still alive, I think we might be better off. Maybe.

At least, as of late, Randy seems to have made an effort to put some good people in charge. Whether they prove him out is another matter.

Not every owner is a Jerry Jones, and that's probably a good thing. Not every owner is the dude in New England, or New Orleans either.

I'm not sure it makes a difference who the owner is. It took a LONG time for Art Rooney to figure it out. Now he's respected as one of the great owners in history, when his first 30 years were the exact disaster the Browns have been since '99.

S
Legend
Legend
S
i think randy did the right thing. that day and that ceremony was for those families and for the fans. if he shows up i bet there are more than a few idiots who will boo him and ruin it.

although i do question why this took so long, this should have been done a long, long time ago.

randy won me over by hiring mike holmgren to run the show, i have no complaints for the guy.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
It surprises me how many people share your opinion. Don't really need to rehash old debates.

I'm very happy that he hired Holmgren and I'm confident that long term Holmgren will help the Browns find the way out of this misery.

But here's a function where Randy's involvement would have probably made a positive impact on those being honored. Like someone cares.

But he couldn't be bothered. Oh well.

[Linked Image]
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Randy Lerner - Ring of Honor Ceremony

Link Copied to Clipboard