Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Bernie Kosar on the Browns' offense: 'I'd be hard on the receivers this week' -- Terry Pluto
Published: Tuesday, September 21, 2010, 5:54 PM Updated: Tuesday, September 21, 2010, 5:55 PM
Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- What's wrong with the Browns?

Looking for a little different answer from the point of view of a quarterback, I called Bernie Kosar. The former Brown began with a discussion of the receivers.

"I'm a quarterback, so I tend to give those guys a break," he said. "Jake [Delhomme] and Seneca [Wallace] each made a mortal sin with those picks [that set up touchdowns], but I really don't think they have been that bad. They are far more accurate than what we had last year."

So what is the problem with the offense, which has scored only 14 points in each of the first two games ... and no points after halftime?

Kosar said there are a few issues, but he started with the receivers. Brian Robiskie and Mohamed Massaquoi have combined for only five catches and 73 yards in two games.

"Those passes down the sidelines that guys can't catch and stay in bounds," said Kosar. "If you watch them, you see that the receivers are 1-2 yards away from the sidelines as they run down field. That's too close. They should be 5-6 yards. You want to give the quarterback about 15 feet to throw the ball between the receiver and the sidelines."

Kosar said he "knows" the coaches are stressing this to the receivers, but added, "I'd be really hard on them this week. Each guy is being covered by one cornerback. The two safeties are up on by the line, looking to stop the run. They aren't respecting our receivers."

Massaquoi and Robiskie were both second-round picks in 2009. They have had 19 balls tossed in their direction. Only two of their five receptions earned first downs.

The wide receivers haven't been the only culprits in the laboring passing game, says Bernie Kosar, who has seen drops throughout the receiving corps, including tight end Evan Moore.
Kosar said they can improve. But he added, "It's really been all of our receivers. We started the Kansas City game with Seneca throwing a good pass to Evan Moore, and he dropped it. Then Seneca threw a pass for what should have been a first down to [Chansi] Stuckey, and he dropped it. Those were good throws, we just didn't catch them."

Running back Peyton Hillis leads the team with four catches for first downs. Moore is the only player with more than one catch (he has two) for at least 20 yards.

"Of all the guys, Josh [Cribbs] is probably doing the best job at receiver," said Kosar. "He is making a lot of progress. He's using his hands to get open. He doesn't get shoved off his routes."

What is happening to the offense in the second half?

"I don't think it's so much our lack of adjustments," said Kosar. "Eric [Mangini] and his staff are starting games with some really good schemes. The other teams adjust to us, and then it comes down to talent -- man-on-man. You can't out-scheme the other team for the entire game."

Keep in mind that Kosar is close to Mangini and offensive coordinator Brian Daboll. He respects this coaching staff and it pains him to see all the "little things that we've been doing wrong" that have led to losses by scores of 17-14 in Tampa, 16-14 to Kansas City.

This is not a longing for Braylon Edwards, traded to the Jets last year and arrested on DWI charges this week. It's simply that Kosar believes the feeble running game is partly due to the inability to establish a passing game.

"I know we won five games last year where we were 33-of-89 passing and had only one touchdown pass," he said. "But four of those came at the end of the season when the weather was bad, the players were banged up and it's easier to run the ball. Early in the year on a faster turf with good weather, quickness shows up more."

What Kosar left unsaid is the Browns often are the slower team.

"But it's not just pure speed," he said. "You can make up for some of that if you pay attention to detail, and just run better routes. Our receivers need to do that."

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index.ssf/2010/09/bernie_kosar_on_the_browns_off.html

from God's lips to your ears

Legend
Legend
If Kosar says it,, it must be fact...,

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
"Those passes down the sidelines that guys can't catch and stay in bounds," said Kosar. "If you watch them, you see that the receivers are 1-2 yards away from the sidelines as they run down field. That's too close. They should be 5-6 yards. You want to give the quarterback about 15 feet to throw the ball between the receiver and the sidelines."

This was discussed yesterday...Mass has know this..it's not rocket science..just plain ole football..and DB's love for a reciever to run that close to being out of bounds..it's less space U have to cover and if you want you can just shove him out..

Each guy is being covered by one cornerback. The two safeties are up on by the line, looking to stop the run. They aren't respecting our receivers."

Whats to respect?? Neither scares a DB..neither has blazing speed or runs good routes..

The wide receivers haven't been the only culprits in the laboring passing game, says Bernie Kosar, who has seen drops throughout the receiving corps, including tight end Evan Moore.

This has plagued the reciever corps for years..what the heck is up??
No concentration..U have to want to catch it,you have to improve techniques..

What is happening to the offense in the second half?

"I don't think it's so much our lack of adjustments," said Kosar. "Eric [Mangini] and his staff are starting games with some really good schemes. The other teams adjust to us, and then it comes down to talent -- man-on-man. You can't out-scheme the other team for the entire game."

Uh..stop..KC/Tampa don't have much more talent..only in the skill areas maybe..but in the second half the execution/playcalling is regressing...the other teams are making half time adjustments and executing those.

C
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
C
Brian Robiskie is what he is.....a 3rd WR minus top end speed and a inability to seperate consistantly.
A blown pick by Mangini...when you consider better talent and needs were there in RD 2.
Mike Williams of Tampa has shown more than Mass and Slobiskie this season in only 2 games.

Legend
Legend
I agree that WR's need to instill some fear, but lack(s) of blazing speed and route running can be overcome with better schemes and coaching too.

It all goes hand-in-hand,....we're just not that good yet. I'm gonna be patient and play "nice fan."

C
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
C
Robiskie gets a pass cause hes from Chagrin Falls and OSU.....if he was from Popcorn Indana and went to Norte Dame..fans would be riding him out of town already.

Legend
Legend
Yep. This is true.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I agree that WR's need to instill some fear, but lack(s) of blazing speed and route running can be overcome with better schemes and coaching too.

Some things a coach shouldn't have to teach on the pro level..Mass was seen running routes too close to the sidelines last year..he's still doing it?

Legend
Legend
Then he's either plain not listening, or not getting coached. I agree, it's a problem,...

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Brian Robiskie is what he is.....a 3rd WR minus top end speed and a inability to seperate consistantly.
A blown pick by Mangini...when you consider better talent and needs were there in RD 2.

I'm not willing to give up on Robo and MoMass quite yet but.....
it's looking more and more like 3 blown 2nd round picks.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think BK is pretty much on the money here.. I wish these guys would step up. I honestly think they do have the neccesary talent but they just aren't getting it done for some reason. SW overthrows aren't helping matters at all.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
this article almost completely explains our issues in the 2nd half.

The defenses are puttin 8-9 in the box and daring us to throw it over the top of em and thats what Daboll has been calling but we arent executing. Furthermore, maybe it almost explains why weve been avoiding the middle of the field too.

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
Legend
Legend
Quote:

and thats what Daboll has been calling but we arent executing.

For several days now I've been saying it's execution... Bernie apparently agrees with me

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

I agree with you, to an extent. He doesn't seem to improve. And its even more irritating after all the butt-kissing he got in the offseason and when you remember who his dad is.

BUT, and I HATE to defend Mangini here, there was barely anyone, even non-OSU homers, not thinking he would be a good receiver in the pros. I can't tell you how many people wrote he was the most NFL ready in the whole draft.

I don't recall many complaining about the pick til the 09 regular season began.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
What bothers me is we have had the chance to pick up some WRs that could help us.. make the team better NOW, but there has been no evidence that Holmgren tried to get Houshmanzadeh or Vincent Jackson. It seems as though no effort has been made to improve the weakest part of the team. Wait til next year is getting very frustrating.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Legend
Legend
Quote:

What bothers me is we have had the chance to pick up some WRs that could help us.. make the team better NOW, but there has been no evidence that Holmgren tried to get Houshmanzadeh or Vincent Jackson. It seems as though no effort has been made to improve the weakest part of the team. Wait til next year is getting very frustrating.

TJ Houshmanzadeh nad Vincent Jackson (especially Jackson) reportedly have issues that may make the not the character guys we want.. Not saying that's a fact, but it could be what prevented the Browns from going after them.

When we don't appear to go after a guy that seems to make sense, you have to wonder,, is it that we DID go after them but were rebuffed.. Then for the sake of spin, they say they weren't interested..

I wonder if Housh may have said no... And who could blame him. it's not like he's the last remaining piece of the puzzle that would take us over the top. Same with Vincent.

I don't know if this line of thinking has any value,, but what if they decided that they really like MoMass, Robo, Cribbs and Stuckey and just want to take time to allow them to mature and grow. Adding a Vincent or Housh,, could slow that process way down..

Besides, this isn't the year that we have a lick of a chance to get where we need to be.. so why waste the money on some guys that are basically "rent a receiver" types.. Roll the dice and grow your own.

So don't be frustrated,,,,

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
I feel like we're almost planning on taking a Houston Texans style approach. If Cleveland were to have gone the way Houston has the last few years, we'd be on our 3rd coach by new with other regimes...

I feel like we're just trying to get veterans that can handle the job for the time being. And mixing in youth everywhere.

We went with Furrey, Jurevicius...now its cribbs, mo, stuckey, robiskie, and mitchell

RBs we went Jamal Lewis and now its Hillis, Harrison, Davis, and Hardesty

OL, were still signing veterans to hold the place until we can get younger and more talented, by having Fraley, Pashos, St Clair, Womack and so on...we're now filling it in with talented youth ie Joe Thomas, Mack, and Lauvao.

DL we have a number of older guys that are serviceable. Rubin is good youth, and coleman, smith, mosley, and rogers (debateable to youth or old), and i imagine that next year we'll fill in with a lot of youth.

LBs, we're also on the serviceable veterans...Fujita, Gocong (somewhat youth), Barton, Bowens, and DQ (still youngish), we have Trusnik, Roth, Benard, and Maiava as youth...maiava being depth.

DBs...we just got REALLY young. and Sheldon Brown is an experienced guy.

QBs...were also on the old vetern serviceable side cept Colt.

Its how we're building. So being in a rush isnt going to work. patience paid off for Houston and we just gotta be patient and it will for us too

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
C
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
C
Quote:

I agree with you, to an extent. He doesn't seem to improve. And its even more irritating after all the butt-kissing he got in the offseason and when you remember who his dad is.

BUT, and I HATE to defend Mangini here, there was barely anyone, even non-OSU homers, not thinking he would be a good receiver in the pros. I can't tell you how many people wrote he was the most NFL ready in the whole draft.

The only one I remember was his not being able to separate, made up for by his running good routes. Sadly, that's the one that's most critical for us.

T
Legend
Legend
T
I don't know Let me just bring up some memory here.

There was a time sometime in past, Eric Metcalf and maybe Leroy Hoard were on the team,Maybe Hoard was a year later, so it was around 90, or 91

It was one of the discouraging times, there was a week when I was so mad at Eric Metcalf, I didn't think he could even score a TD without a defense on the field.
The week before, Eric Metcalf, had decided to take a Knee on a kick return, on his own 2 yard line.

All of a sudden he was just a totally different player in one week, he started having positive plays and not negative ones.
But He did have SPEED, he had another gear, and if the Browns, current Browns don't even have speed, then that's one more obstical.
I wouldn't be dissappointed to see it, if Robiskie were benched for a game or 2, but for Who?

Bring back the four dueces!
Where have you gone Dennis Northcutt? Quincy Morgan? Andre Davis? Kevin Johnson? ... JuJuan Dawson?

They were all drafted in the top 40 players overall, I think they were all between pick 30 and 39 in their respective drafts.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I didn't like the Robo pick.. unless we picked him for Tight End. I have more memory of Robo playing TE at OSU than WR, and the comment about him not being unable to get separation and having to count on precise routes is exactly what you would expect from a TE moving out to WR.

I look at TJ or Vincent Jackson at WR opposite Massaquoi with Cribbs or Stuckey in the slot and Robo at his natural position.. TE.. stretching the field against Linebackers.. a totally different offensive proposition.

I have heard the same Mantra since ' 99.. Wait til next year... we will be better. I know this year was supposed to get us competitive.. not make a big splash, but dang.. wouldn't Houshmanzadeh or Jackson make us competitive ?

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Legend
Legend
He'd need to add a lot of weight to be an NFL TE.

He's 63", and 210#. Our TEs all top 250. Every TE in our division tops 245.

Robiske will probably be a slot WR at best.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

TJ Houshmanzadeh nad Vincent Jackson (especially Jackson) reportedly have issues that may make the not the character guys we want.. Not saying that's a fact, but it could be what prevented the Browns from going after them.

When we don't appear to go after a guy that seems to make sense, you have to wonder,, is it that we DID go after them but were rebuffed.. Then for the sake of spin, they say they weren't interested..

I wonder if Housh may have said no... And who could blame him. it's not like he's the last remaining piece of the puzzle that would take us over the top. Same with Vincent.

I don't know if this line of thinking has any value,, but what if they decided that they really like MoMass, Robo, Cribbs and Stuckey and just want to take time to allow them to mature and grow. Adding a Vincent or Housh,, could slow that process way down..

Besides, this isn't the year that we have a lick of a chance to get where we need to be.. so why waste the money on some guys that are basically "rent a receiver" types.. Roll the dice and grow your own.

So don't be frustrated,,,,

Jackson and Housh are still on the market for a reason.

As for " don't be frustrated"

You as much as anyone else know that being a Browns fan is becoming more and more frustrating.

it seems we are always on a 3 year rebuilding plan

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

The Ravens signed Housh 3 weeks ago.....

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

part of a head coach's job is to be the head cheerleader. That is why I hardly ever consider coachspeak to be a credible source of information.

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

The Ravens signed Housh 3 weeks ago.....

ooops.

spending too much time on the job here

I brought lesson plans home again for over the weekend. Where is the throw-up gremlin

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

So being in a rush isnt going to work. patience paid off for Houston and we just gotta be patient and it will for us too

Well put. We've added talent, and we're heading in the right direction, but it takes time. I like the way the defense has been playing, we just need to add better talent at ILB, on the end and at safety. And we need offensive weapons, like a franchise QB and a #1 WR. Add a right tackle, and we're there. It may seem like a lot, but we're closer than it seems. Then we add depth, and keep drafting quality players. That's how you build a winning franchise. I hope we keep continuity in the FO and coaching staff so it can happen this time.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I made mention of this in the 'Game day Forum'.

I have also noticed a few plays when our QB was forced to leave the pocket and on occasion both Robo and MoMass have had their backs to the play and gave our QB's no options once the play broke down.

I don't think I can fault a guy who drops one pass [a pass that was not perfect].
He has still made some nice plays, but he was also hung out to dry by both of our starting QB,s and has been taken out of both 2nd half of games.

It's almost like both team were targeting Moore, trying to take him out of the game. [Speculation]

Besides if you run your TE on a go rout you only help a CB trying to cover him. He is not going to out run a CB and the CB will also have Safety help over the top.

Even Moore is more dangerous in the middle of the field or crossing routs.

Our WR's need to step up this week or we need to find someone else to run threw the revolving door that the position has been.

Explain to me again why we cut Engram???

The heck with beat out by Stuckey in the slot position.
He was good enough to start for this team imo.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Agreed. I might be more accepting of his praise if he were a bit less glowing about our game prep. When your first and second wideouts both do not lead the team, when the second half looks like this, it is up to the coaches to anticipate and adjust to the other team. No proof that has or will happen. But Kosar and Pluto do not speak with forked tongues IMO.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Just Clickin,
To me, Bernie is saying what alot of people around here have known since last year. Mo_Mass is a #2 receiver at best. Robo is a #3 receiver. We needed to have picked up a true #1 receiver. When a defense is locking up on receivers without safety help, they are telling you they do not respect you at all!!.. TB, KC had decent Dbs and just locked them up, man-to_man. Our receivers could not separate from them. Unless, Debol uses Cribbs or uses motion to try to create mis-matches, we will have this problem all year.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Bernie Kosar on the Browns' offense: 'I'd be hard on the receivers this wee

Link Copied to Clipboard