Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
T
Quote:

Mark Sanchez's(notes) negative body language is going to cost him some money. New York Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer announced Thursday that the team would be issuing light fines to the quarterback every time he slumped his shoulders, put down his head or trudged off the field during practice.

As reported by The Star-Ledger, the whole, light-hearted system was created by Sanchez himself, who has made it his goal this season to eliminate the bad body language that was so prevalent during his rookie campaign. Had the fines been in effect then, Schottenheimer says the quarterback would have gone broke.

Backup quarterback Mark Brunell(notes) collects the small fines (Schottenheimer wouldn't say how much Sanchez pays, lest it cause a "salary cap infraction"), which can come from any number of actions. On Thursday, for instance, Schottenheimer said Sanchez screwed up a play but gave a look that suggested somebody else was at fault. "That's a fine," Schottenheimer announced to reporters.

Fines will only be given for violations in practice.

An interesting motivation technique to say the least. I absolutely love what they're doing here...

Brunell is going to R-I-C-H too...
Link

Legend
Legend
Personally I always thought stuff like this was silly.... either he is going to fix his attitude himself or he's not... 'fining' him a minimal amount won't do much IMO.

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I agree, but the flip side to that is that for better or for worse, they are saddled with him... so they need to try to do whatever they can think of to bring him along.
If that means helping to create a sort of muscle-memory for maintaining composure and exuding leadership... then so be it. They may well know that it won't succeed, but they owe it to themselves to at least try it given the dollar amounts invested in the guy.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Maybe you missed it.

Quote:

As reported by The Star-Ledger, the whole, light-hearted system was created by Sanchez himself

This isn't the Jets doing this. This is Sanchez doing it. Big difference. I applaud him.

KeysDawg

The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. - Carl Sagan
T
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
T
I never said that Rex initiated it...

Usually these types of things come out of the players themselves. I'm also fairly certain that the coaches will embrace and enforce it for him, so that he may become a better player.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
it's not the fines that have an effect, it's the awareness. He's trying to change his attitude and the fines are reminders. It'll work.

Legend
Legend
^this^

I've done similar things to break performance habits. Awareness is the key

"too many notes, not enough music-"
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I never said that Rex initiated it...

Usually these types of things come out of the players themselves. I'm also fairly certain that the coaches will embrace and enforce it for him, so that he may become a better player.

Seems to me it's something the player recognizes, wants to fix and has asked them to help him fix. All seem like positives to me.

jmho

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Mark Sanchez getting fined for bad Body Language

Link Copied to Clipboard