Next Thread
Print Thread
#544051 11/12/10 07:23 PM
B
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
So I avoided this thing like the plague for years, but finally caved about a week ago because I got tired of people asking "Why aren't you on facebook?". It seems to be pretty great up to this point and my previous assumptions seem to be dead nuts wrong...

But this morning I got a "friend request" from someone that I didn't like at all growing up lol, and my question is is it cool to do the "not now" option? If I do that, will it show up to him that I pretty much said to pee off?

Let's just say this dude was a bit past shady growing up... stole things around town and from me as an 8 year old (Yeah, I do hold a grudge lol)... and I just don't want anything to do with him.

Have you guys been shot down by anyone or shot someone down yourself on there? Is it cool to do it? Stupid facebook, lol.

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
A
Legend
Legend
A
I don't know if it shows up - but I look at it like this: If we weren't friends to begin with - why would we be now?

I've deleted a few people that only got added cause I wanted to be "nice".

Legend
Legend
Yeah, that's totally fine to do that. A person sending a friend request receives no notification that you haven't accepted or have rejected the request, or even that you've seen the request.

Conversely.... if it happened when you were 8, just perhaps the person has grown up and turned into an adult and you guys have something to laugh about

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

B
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
Well, he stole from me as an 8 year old. About a decade later he upped his targets to around the town. So I doubt he's changed much.

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
Legend
Legend
No harm in accepting the Friend request.... you can always remove him.

Worst case scenario is that he's still a punk and you can ignore him or remove him from your list ... which, if he's like that still do you really care if he knows you removed him?

On the flip side, people change - you just never know.

Browns is the Browns

P
All Pro
All Pro
P
I think its ok to accept people from high school that you never really liked or got along with. I've accepted them. And like someone else said. You could always remove or ban them if need be.

Legend
Legend
Many, many of the people on my friends list is people from high school that were outside my social circle back then.

You're just adding them to your friends list, you're not getting asked out on a date, lol

Browns is the Browns

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Quote:

Many, many of the people on my friends list is people from high school that were outside my social circle back then.

You're just adding them to your friends list, you're not getting asked out on a date, lol

Do those people ever talk to you on facebook? I noticed people from high school add me as friend, but never talk. Not even a "hi how you doing?" kind of think.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
Legend
Legend
It's all up to you.

If you want him as a friend, accept him.

If you don't want him as a friend don't accept him.

If you accept him and he turns out to be a putz, block him.

Do what makes you happy though, life's to short to worry about the small stuff.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

It's all up to you.

This is why I'm not on FaceBook,.....

Legend
Legend
Don't accept him - he won't know and who really cares.

I've also deleted 'friends' who aren't really that close to me and I didn't care for stuff they posted on their face books... of course i have family that posts some crazy stuff at times and I probably should delete them... but they're family....

<><

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Regardless if you accept or ignore him, familiarize yourself with the (fairly) clever ignore/hide system on Facebook. You will not regret it.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

It's all up to you.

I thought the reason was because nobody likes you...

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Do those people ever talk to you on facebook? I noticed people from high school add me as friend, but never talk. Not even a "hi how you doing?" kind of think.

To be honest I ended up removing most of my Facebook friends including my close high school friends.

The friends from school I correspond with are people I never talked to. Hell, I didn't even know who most of them were.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
I think some people look at their number of friends and get a kick out of it - like it somehow "legitimizes" them. The more friends, the more legit they are.

Maybe I'm wrong.

I have 76 friends. That includes 6 kids in my daughters grade. And of the 70 left - well, I ought to delete about 30.

Legend
Legend
I use to play mafia wars. I had over 1,000 friends. I ended up deleting that account and I kept it under 100. I think I'm up to 122 with one I haven't accepted yet. Time to purge the dead weight and get back to 100.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I sometimes feel bad, because people send me messages and such on Facebook, but I log into it so rarely that often quite a while goes by before I respond to them.

I would just as soon email or call someone then send a Facebook message. I can count on 1 hand the number of messages I have sent through Facebook.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
614 Offline
Rookie
Rookie
Quote:

So I avoided this thing like the plague for years,

I don't blame you,facebook is stupid. I can't believe how many sit around and post things like where they ate,their weekly vacations and really think other people care And what does this flashing note here means ? I don't care about these people as well or some note that every good poster has left this site,I could careless especially here

cscc is the place to be
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Quote:

I don't blame you,facebook is stupid. I can't believe how many sit around and post things like where they ate,their weekly vacations and really think other people care And what does this flashing note here means ? I don't care about these people as well or some note that every good poster has left this site,I could careless especially here

Odd you say that. I just went and checked - didn't see django listed as a user anymore.

Did I spell his name right?

Did I "run him off"?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Ever? Absolutely. Constantly? Oh, heck no.... but it allows me to stay in touch with so many people from my past that I had previously completely fallen out of touch with that I find it almost priceless. Through it, I've built up contacts, I've helped people, people have been able to help me and I have reconnected with people from - quite literally - every stage of my life from elementary school to the present.

To me, it doesn't matter that I don't speak with all of them daily, they can find me, I can find them and if I just ever want to say "Hi", I can (and often do).

Browns is the Browns

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Quote:

Quote:

Ever? Absolutely. Constantly? Oh, heck no.... but it allows me to stay in touch with so many people from my past that I had previously completely fallen out of touch with that I find it almost priceless. Through it, I've built up contacts, I've helped people, people have been able to help me and I have reconnected with people from - quite literally - every stage of my life from elementary school to the present.

To me, it doesn't matter that I don't speak with all of them daily, they can find me, I can find them and if I just ever want to say "Hi", I can (and often do).

The experience can be priceless. A person I used to work with a while ago found me. It was someone I really glad to make contact with again. That alone made the whole facebook experience worth it for me.

Arch
Yes, some people think their friend count is important and try to have the most. IIRC, on myspace friend count was used to determine some sort of social status. I only accept people I know.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Odd you say that. I just went and checked - didn't see django listed as a user anymore.

Did I spell his name right?

Did I "run him off"?

I replied to you in another thread yesterday that his name was missing from the userlist (which indicates a suspension or ban) and I can't find that post now....

A
Legend
Legend
A
Ah, I didn't see the other post.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Quote:

I would just as soon email or call someone then send a Facebook message.

I don't Facebook, and I don't expect to ever.
If I want to tell someone something, I call them up or email.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It's all up to you.

I thought the reason was because nobody likes you...

I spend enough time on here as it is, getting not-liked,...

Legend
Legend
Looks like I'm one of the few that really likes fb. I keep in touch with old friends from waaay back that I'd never have thought to contact otherwise. It's pretty cool to see how people from your past have changed....for the better or for the worse. I put the people who post constantly on "hide" to keep the clutter off.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I had an old girlfriend contact me on Classmates about a year ago.

She just got divorced, and has 3 kids. Yikes. lol

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I Facebook. It's a way for me to stay connected to my family from 2500 miles away. I can post pictures for everyone to see and don't have to individually send emails to everyone to tell them what I'm up to.
For the most part if you aren't or never were a friend of mine I don't accept the friend request. There have been lots of people from highschool that have requested. Which is funny because in highschool I didn't have many friends as I wasn't "cool" or athletic enough. Most I've brushed off. Others I've accepted long enough to see some of their pictures, realize they are as big of losers as I knew they would be, then unfriended them. lol
Facebook has also allowed me to have some closure on a relationship that went bad many years ago. It didn't end well and come to find out we both walked away carrying some guilt about that for many years. Facebook allowed us to reconnect and say some of the things we wished we had said, and retract some things we wished we hadn't.
Basically you get out of Facebook what you want. No more, no less.

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I love Facebook. Gives me a way to stay in touch with my friends from the military that are all over the world and friends from online games like Warcraft that I enjoy.

It also lets me connect with friends that I have lost touch with for one reason or another from school, work etc and share photo's of the Florida Keys with family and friends that I don't have to send pics to individually. (although I still do that with some because I don't post everything to everyone). I am a avid user of the FB restrictions and use them to allow and disallow certain folks to see certain things. I find it very customizable.

As to the question from the OP, If you don't want to friend that person, don't. You haven't seen them in years. If you weren't friends then who cares if they get their feelings hurt because you didn't accept them. You are under no obligation. I personally reject anyone who I don't want to share info with.

KeysDawg

The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. - Carl Sagan
F
Legend
Legend
F
It's actually a good resource if you want it to be.

I reconnected with some folks I went to school with. One had recently relocated to Arizona and was looking for work, the mall up the street from me he helped design with the firm he was with in Ohio, and offered to pay me to take some digital photos of the finished product. I did it for free, but he was very thankful he could add them to his portfolio, and eventually sent me a dinner gift card even though I tried to refuse.

I also know several classmates that assisted others to find work through their reconnecting on facebook.

I have also reconnected with folks from back home who I knew from school but weren't really "friends" with, and it is interesting finding out what some of those folks are doing now.

Of course being 1200 miles away from where I grew up and went to school might change my outlook onthe whole thing versus someone who may still run into some of these people regularly.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Facebook question...

Link Copied to Clipboard