Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
B
CLEVELAND - The Cleveland Browns are no longer as deep at quarterback, releasing veteran backup Brett Ratliff.

The team waived Ratliff on Tuesday along with punter Dave Zastudil, who had been on injured reserve with a knee injury.

The Browns also placed starting offensive guard Billy Yates on injured reserve with a biceps injury and signed defensive back Eric King and kick returner Clifton Smith.

Ratliff returned to the Browns earlier this season after Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace suffered ankle injuries. He was waived by Cleveland after training camp and was signed to New England's practice squad.

With Delhomme and Wallace back and rookie Colt McCoy playing well, Ratliff became expendable.

The Browns signed King and Smith as insurance after kick returner Joshua Cribbs (dislocated toes) and cornerback Sheldon Brown (shoulder) were injured in Sunday's loss to the New York Jets.

Zastudil is now free to sign with another team. He underwent offseason knee surgery, but was still bothered by pain in camp.

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/sports/football/browns/AP-Source-Browns-to-sign-KR-Clifton-Smith

B
Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
B
Sorry to see Zastudil go, but I knew it was coming. I guess they let him leave before the end of the season because they feel confident in Hodges and want to let Zastudil to have a chance to sign on with a new team.

Bummer about losing Yates....

I am interested to see how Clifton Smith and Eric King perform. I don't think King brings much to the table but Clifton Smith might actually produce some great results. I don't feel like Cribbs has been that much of a difference maker in the return game this season, although he has been average. Could Smith also serve as a RB in some cases? Doubtful but possible I suppose. I don't know much about him to be honest.

Legend
Legend
If I was Dave, I'd just retire and sit back and enjoy the ride. Assume he grew up a Browns fan, being from Bay Village.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The Browns actually brought in King for a workout a few weeks ago. They had also brought in Ko Simpson and Gerald Alexander.

I personally was hoping we signed Simpson, he had an outstanding rookie year before being sidelined with a a few injuries and then just lost out a starting job because of other guy's really stepping it up.

I liked Alexander too, he started 16 games for the Colts like two years ago and had a statistically solid year, never seen him play but checking his stats it seemed as though he was pretty good for what it is worth.

Legend
Legend
You must have seen what I saw when this kid was at South Carolina,...I don't believe I have ever seen anyone love to hit -- Tatum -- Lott -- or Lynch -- like Ko Simpson does.

Prolly explains why he's always banged up though.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The guy was good at one point, might still be, King on the other hand has never really done anything in the NFL.

I didn't get to see Simpson in college but watching him his rookie year in Buffalo I thought the guy was gonna become a pro-bowler on a consistent basis.

I was mad when Detroit traded for him and gave up so little. I wished we would have traded for him then.

Simpson would fit in nicely with the physical defense we are developing here if he could stay healthy

Legend
Legend
Sorry to hear about Zas... that kinda sucks... Home town boy,, wow

Ratty was doomed from the first day.. but still, I feel for him.

He had to know he'd eventually be the odd man out..

I don't know anything about the guys we signed so I got no comment..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Sorry about Dave... but Hodges has just been launching them the past couple of weeks.

Once a Brown always a Brown (mostly)

Legend
Legend
It wouldn't surprise me to see Delhomme move almost exclusively into a coaching/mentor type role at this point. He and McCoy have a pretty good relationship, and it seems like a natural fit.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
I'd take him over Dorsey as our 3rd stringer any day

"All I know is, as long as I led the Southeastern Conference in scoring, my grades would be fine." - Charles Barkley
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

But he was so integral in mentoring DA through his Pro Bowl year.

Over the year's, I've come to try and avoid the knee jerk reaction (and often fail).

McCoy is looking more and more like the real deal ... however, I can't help but think back to 'we've finally got our QB!!!' posts relating to Couch, DA, Quinn ( ), etc.

If one were to dig deep enough into Pure Football threads ... we'd all look like jackasses.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

But he was so integral in mentoring DA through his Pro Bowl year.

Over the year's, I've come to try and avoid the knee jerk reaction (and often fail).

McCoy is looking more and more like the real deal ... however, I can't help but think back to 'we've finally got our QB!!!' posts relating to Couch, DA, Quinn ( ), etc.

If one were to dig deep enough into Pure Football threads ... we'd all look like jackasses.

I agree with one key exception regarding McCoy....at least to this point he has been consistent. With the others you had flashes, then 2-3 bad games.

If he can play to a level, whatever level that finally becomes week after week, a coach can bank on that. Too many times in the past we got to the teller window only to find we had a zero balance.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
thats depressing.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Could Smith also serve as a RB in some cases? Doubtful but possible I suppose. I don't know much about him to be honest.

I don't know how he will fair in a RB capacity but I know he is a good returner, went to the pro-bowl his rookie year. Could be the first step in getting Cribbs more involved in the offense.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Sorry to hear about Dave. He was a great punter. Wonder if his knee is shot. Hodges has gotten better, but Zaster-Blaster was money. Anyone know specifically why we cut him?

See ya Ratty, hope you find a home, glad it's not here.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Wow. Losing Zastudil kind of hurts. It's not like the eventual day we lose Phil or anything, but he was a darn good punter for us and I liked him even more for being a brother O.U. Bobcat.

Godspeed, Dave. And thank you . . .

A
All Pro
All Pro
A
Pretty expensive mentor. It is safer having jake on the sidelines than throwing ducks out to the wrs.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
if Colt improves or at least proves he is a viable starter, how long will Jake stay around before he is cut?

Legend
Legend
I doubt it, but maybe he'd take the pay "cut" to help us out instead,...

Ah,...Never mind,....

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Sorry to hear about Dave. He was a great punter. Wonder if his knee is shot. Hodges has gotten better, but Zaster-Blaster was money. Anyone know specifically why we cut him?

See ya Ratty, hope you find a home, glad it's not here.

Zastudil was only signed through this season.

The team put him on IR because they basically had to. His knee was not in a condiditon that would allow them to carry him for a weel or 2 and then bring him back. Heck, his knee may not be back yet.

Regardless, they reached a point where the team and player felf that he was recovered enough that he could try and find a job elsewhere. He couldn't do so with us this year, and was only signed through this yera anyway ..... so this way he hits free agency a couple of months early, and if he is ready to go, he can go try and find a job.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
If I'm not mistaken, they didn't even have a choice.

If you put a player on IR and they can then pass a physical during the season, you MUST release him.
Him being in the last year of his contract and the way Hodges has played certainly lessens the blow, but it still sucks to lose him.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns waive Zastudil & Ratliff, Sign E. King & C. Smith, IR for B. Yates

Link Copied to Clipboard