Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Is the Cleveland Browns' relentless Peyton Hillis another Earl Campbell? Hey, Tony!
Published: Saturday, November 20, 2010, 11:09 PM
Tony Grossi, The Plain Dealer

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2010/11/is_the_cleveland_browns_relent.html

Hey, Tony: I'm on the forum arguing about Peyton Hillis' possibility of being another Earl Campbell. One of the posters claim no way ... Campbell had huge legs and could take the punishment, while I claim Hillis could and isn't exactly a small guy. What's your take on how much they do or don't compare and can Hillis be a 3- or 4-year starter with his punishing style? -- Dennis Bartlett, Queensbury, N.Y.

Hey, Dennis: Campbell was a hellacious, powerful runner who ran over and through tacklers. Hillis is not as big. I think the most appropriate comparison of Hillis is to former Tampa Bay Buccaneer Mike Alstott. Let's save the Hall of Fame comparisons for a few years down the road.

Hey, Tony: I will agree that the Browns need a No. 1 WR. Everyone is shouting AJ Green from Georgia. I think the best way to go is free agency. By my count there could be some good ones available. Sidney Rice, Santonio Holmes, Vincent Jackson. -- Howard Boles, Peyton, Colo.

Hey, Howard: Obviously a veteran free agent would contribute more immediately. Historically, rookie receivers experience difficult adjustments in their first year. Rare is the rookie receiver who has a major impact on his team. But then, the great ones emerge in Year 2. I'm not sure the Browns have to use their first pick on a receiver. But it's a decision that doesn't have to be made at the present time.

Hey, Tony: Don't you think the Gatorade should be saved for when you win something? The last time I saw hi-fives and coaches running all over the field fist pumping, was when Josh McDaniels beat the Pats. How's he making out? -- Bob Sullivan, Boston

Hey, Bob: Valid point, Patriots fan.

Hey, Tony: Do you think the last three games have done enough to make the teams and fans in Baltimore and Pittsburgh double-check the schedule and worry about the next time they play Cleveland? Right now, I don't think anyone wants to play the Browns, especially towards the end of the season when the possibility of a playoff berth or home-field advantage could be on the line. Would you agree, or am I reading too much into the last few games? -- Tim, Winter Haven, Fla.

Hey, Tim: I said it first in April when the schedule was released, and I have repeated it several times: The Browns will decide the winner of the AFC North in those last three (well, now, last two) games.

Hey, Tony: You were pretty critical of Eric Mangini in how he handled the press when he first arrived in Cleveland. Watching the press conferences he seems to me to be the opposite of how you described him? He seems to give thoughtful answers and attempts to answer every question but the quarterback questions. Has he changed? -- David Etzkin, Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.

Hey, David: Mangini has changed for the better. He's more relaxed in his second season and comfortable with his team and its surroundings. He's talked about being himself and not being someone else.

Hey, Tony: Have the Browns ever played all three Florida teams in one season before? And if so, were all the games away games? -- George Amer, Gallatin, Tenn.

Hey, George: No, this is the first time that's happened.

Hey, Tony: Why/when did the team decide to no longer introduce a starting unit before a game? Seems that would have been a tremendous way to have celebrated Phil Dawson's recent achievement. -- Rob Berick, Shaker Heights

Hey, Rob: I know prior to the Jets game the Browns' offensive unit was introduced. I think the coach decides which unit to introduce for each home game.

Hey, Tony: For the life of me I can't understand why Eric Wright, who was burned eight times or more for TDs this year is not put up on the line to just bump players only or on the bench. On the Jets' last two plays, Eric let a hurt player catch the ball and then let Holmes catch the ball and then didn't even try to hammer him to knock the ball loose. Your thoughts? -- John Biegas, Bergen, N.Y.

Hey, John: I don't know what's happened to the bump-and-run, but I don't see anybody playing it anymore. Corners are always playing 5-7 yards off to guard against receivers running by them. Of course, the object is to smash the receiver after a short catch, but that doesn't happen with Wright. He's not a physical cornerback and when he's in a slump covering guys, too, you've got a corner who doesn't help a defense much.

Hey, Tony: Do the Browns have any interest in free-agent wide receiver Kevin Curtis? -- Chris Kingzett, Parma Heights

Hey, Chris: No.

View full sizeJoshua Gunter / The Plain DealerUnder the category of "Fans Determined To Find Fault," this week's targeted Brown is second-year receiver Brian Robiskie.
Hey, Tony: I know everyone around here loves Brian Robiskie because he went to their beloved Ohio State, but how disappointing has he been? In the summer, the Cleveland media was talking about how he was looking like he was going to have a breakout year ... well, eight games later, nine receptions later, zero touchdowns later, and still the inability to separate, he looks very below average. How essential is it to get a big-time playmaker in the draft? There are a bunch coming out this year (assuming they don't surprise people and return to college). -- Brian Henighan, Medina

Hey, Brian: I am at a loss to explain what's going on with Robiskie. I will reiterate what I said about Mohamed Massaquoi. I don't see him dropping passes. The QBs just don't get the ball to the wideouts enough in this offensive system.

Hey, Tony: Clearly the team plays hard, and to the very end for Mangini. But Brian Daboll seems to put the team in a hole almost every week. I lay this (Jets) loss at the feet of Daboll, for some just awful play-calling in the second half and overtime. Why can't Mangini or Holmgren step in and order him to either get creative (like he did against New England), or have his duties revoked? He is single-handedly killing this team that is playing very hard for their coach. -- Sean Samuels, Chandler, Ariz.

Hey, Sean: Offensive coordinator is a lightning-rod position in Cleveland. Always has been. I think Daboll's had some good games this year. The one insightful criticism I've heard about him is he calls a game like a defensive coach, which he started out as. Meaning, he calls and designs plays based on what he thinks would be hard for him to defend. That sounds logical, but the truly great offensive coaches don't do it that way.

Hey, Tony: You always say to win in this league you need to have the QB and the coach. Do you now agree we have both? Don't backtrack on "Mangini needs enough wins, etc." Does your gut tell you we have both? -- Michael Spitale, Galena, Ohio

Hey, Michael: Sorry, I am unsure about both. More sure about one than the other, but I won't say which.

Hey, Tony: Are you a Hall of Fame voter? Being in Minnesota, all I hear is how great Brett Favre is. If you were to ask any coach in NFL what the first thing is in playing QB it's no interceptions. So if you're great at touchdowns and yards, and the worst of all time in interceptions, why does that not meet in the middle and make you average? Not to mention he's only played in one Super Bowl and has personally cost his team the last few years the playoffs with dumb throws and got Mangini ousted from NY. He is not a Hall of Famer. -- Nathan Cornell, Minneapolis

Hey, Nathan: 1. I am privileged to be a Hall of Fame voter. 2. Favre is an absolute lock to be a first-ballot Hall of Famer. Yes, interceptions are bad, but they don't outweigh all of Favre's other accomplishments. In my opinion, Otto Graham is one of the three greatest quarterbacks of all time. Guess what? He threw more interceptions than touchdowns in his NFL career.

Hey, Tony: With it looking more like Eric Mangini will be unfireable at the end of the season and Holmgren saying he wants to coach. In your opinion will he be with us next year? Will it derail our progress if he leaves? Also if a player is suspended for personal conduct (Farve) would his game streak end? -- Jeremy Chalfant, Marietta, Ohio

Hey, Jeremy: 1. Holmgren has said he is committed to getting the job done in Cleveland. There's a lot of work to do, so, yes, I expect him back. 2. I assume that a suspension would end Brett Favre's consecutive games streak. I don't expect Favre to be suspended.

Hey, Tony: I was wondering if the Jets' run defense is good as advertised? It appears that they have truly only played one good rushing team, Minnesota. They were able to get 95 yards on 20 carries. I don't know if they are really good or a myth of last year's success. -- Eric Harns, Paw Paw, Mich.

Hey, Eric: They're good, but not unbeatable. Maybe they'll be better in January -- when it really matters.

Hey, Tony: Maybe other Browns fans share my confusion at the Byzantine maze of rules on instant replay. In the overtime against the Jets, there were two official reviews of plays (Stuckey out-of-bounds and Cotchery pass for first down), but the one I wish had been reviewed was the punt on the Browns second possession that landed near the Jets' goal line. The only TV replay showed it might have touched a Jets player first, but the zebras quickly ruled no and put the ball in play. Are such punt plays non-reviewable, or could the officials have looked at it? -- Steve Gaylo, Thompson

Hey, Steve: In overtime, the replay official has jurisdiction over all reviews. Sometimes a play is reviewed without a timeout being called. If that were the case and the replay official agreed with the call on the field, there would be no announcement.

Hey, Tony: Concerning the improved creativity of the offense. Is there any chance those ideas are filtering down from the President's office and not from the coordinator's office? After all, the only real difference in the team is at the top. -- Tom Goodsite, Kirksville, Mo.

Hey, Tom: Daboll consults with Holmgren and Holmgren lieutenant Gil Haskell on a regular basis. I do not believe, however, that either of them make demands of Daboll, as they are sensitive to the fact he is the coordinator and they would not want someone stirring the pot in the same position.

Hey, Tony: Could you break down what you are seeing with Brian Robiskie? Is he just not fast enough against NFL corners? Is he just not physical enough to get separation or block effectively? Is he putting in the effort needed to succeed? How is his attitude? -- Stephen Bickerton, Avon Lake

Hey, Stephen: I'm not convinced that Robiskie isn't fast enough, that he isn't physical enough or that he doesn't get enough separation. His blocking is effective. He puts in the work. That said, I am at a loss to explain the problem. It's not a receiver-friendly offense, to say the least. As for his attitude, I believe the young man is incredibly frustrated and needs to be rewarded for all his hard work.

Hey, Tony: The Falcons took someone the Browns wanted a few picks ahead of the Colt McKoy pick. How is he doing, and should we be sending Thomas Dimitroff a nice bottle of scotch in thanks? -- Tom P, Chapel Hill, N.C.

Hey, Tom: The player is Corey Peters, a defensive tackle from Kentucky. He is part of Atlanta's strong rotation on the defensive line. They are pleased with him. If you want to thank Dimitroff for steering McCoy to the Browns, he looks more like a wine drinker to me than scotch. But I don't know for sure.

View full sizePlain Dealer file photoPeyton Hillis is a fan favorite in Cleveland, certainly. But is he a serious candidate for Pro Bowl honors?
Hey, Tony: Providing he can continue to produce at his current rate, Peyton Hillis is having a Pro Bowl season. Also, Ahtyba Rubin is on pace to record over 80 tackles, which is impressive for a 3-4 nose tackle. Does he have a chance to go to the Pro Bowl? Do any other Browns merit consideration? -- Larry Holden, Green, Ohio

Hey, Larry: I will analyze the Browns' Pro Bowl hopefuls at a later date. As for Rubin, he has zero chance of beating out Haloti Ngata of Baltimore or Casey Hampton of Pittsburgh. However, his day will come.

Hey, Tony: With the loss Sunday it looks the Browns will miss the playoffs again. As we all know we're much improved and we fight hard in every game. As far as next year goes, I was wondering who our potential free agents were. At some point we're going to have to re-sign the likes of Joe Thomas, Lawrence Vickers, etc. Can you give us an idea of who the Browns will lock up for the future? Also, what position do you think we'll target in the first round of the draft? -- Rob H, Dayton

Hey, Rob: I discussed the Browns' potential free agents in my Sunday NFL insider notes column two weeks ago. The big names whose contracts are up include Phil Dawson, Matt Roth, Lawrence Vickers, Seneca Wallace, Eric Wright, Floyd Womack, D'Qwell Jackson and Abe Elam. I reported that GM Tom Heckert said there is no discussion going on with any potential free agent. As for the position to target with the first-round pick, I believe that will be determined after the season. Receiver, defensive line, safety and cornerback are obvious options. Quarterback -- once my No. 1 priority -- appears to have slipped to the later rounds.

Hey, Tony: How is Montario Hardesty recovering from his surgery? I understand this is a big if; but if he can stay healthy next year I am intrigued by the possibly running duo of Hardesty and Hillis. -- Ralph Gallagher, North Royalton

Hey, Ralph: I wrote at the bye weekend that Hardesty's recovery is on schedule for him to be fully active for the start of summer training camp. You are not the only one intrigued by a duo of Hardesty and Hillis. The team's brass is really intrigued by it.

Hey, Tony: When are one of you brilliant writers going to write an article about how Jerome Harrison shined on Monday Night Football again with 109 yards on 11 carries including a spectacular 50-yard touchdown run. Stop being afraid of the dumb, ignorant coaches like Crennel and Mangini and start sticking up for the players and fans. -- Brad Warner, Dayton

Hey, Brad: The media questioned Mangini on Harrison's use/non-use each and every week. After the trade of Harrison to Philadelphia, Mike Holmgren said he was traded because he clearly was not happy with his reduced role as a result of the emergence of Hillis. Mangini also said that Mike Bell fit better as a physical runner in the mode of Hillis. (That was a bit of exaggeration, it turned out.)

View full sizeLisa DeJong / The Plain DealerFans have a lofty opinion (well, most fans) of Browns kicker Phil Dawson ... but will the team share that assessment when it comes to contract talks?
Hey, Tony: You've stated that you don't think Phil Dawson will be with the Browns next year in part because he is currently woefully underpaid. If he goes to free agency, someone will surely pay him what he is worth. Why wouldn't the Browns pay as much to keep him. I can't think of anyone who I would rather see kicking in a clutch situation. -- Bob Schroll, Toledo

Hey, Bob: Agreed. I just think the Browns don't value a kicker at $3.5 million to $4 million a year. Maybe they will change their mind by March.

Hey, Tony: Now that we have found a QB, can you please give your opinion on our position needs in order. -- George Boyle, Hoffman Estates, Ill.

Hey, George: Defensive end, cornerback, wide receiver, safety, offensive tackle, running back, outside linebacker, cornerback, defensive end, wide receiver, etc.

Hey, Tony: Last week, you asked how you had ignored Phil Dawson questions? Well, Dawson is an over-the-hill kicker and has been for four years (he can barely put his kickoffs into the end zone). I'm surprised you haven't asked the Browns or written an article about the team grooming a kicker for the future, which they haven't. Now, with Dawson retiring, we have no kicker for next year. -- Mark Wallace, Oberlin

Hey, Mark: Dawson retiring? You've got a scoop. I won't bite on this obvious attempt to get under my skin.

Hey, Tony: Last week, you downplayed Eric Mangini's tobacco habit. Don't you think his chewing sets a bad example to children and his players? What if players started dipping during practice? Also, Mangini's tobacco use may even affect his game or draft decisions, like being too agressive in going for the win in OT, or taking Veikune in the second round. -- Jenna Smith, Shaker Heights

Hey, Jenna: Everyone has his vices. I don't think you can blame the Veikune pick on tobacco intake. Bad pizza, maybe, but not tobacco intake.

Hey, Tony: Non-Browns question. If both the Jets and Giants have home field advantage and host the AFC and NFC championship games, how would they play the same day in the same stadium? -- Kris Kent, Canonsburg, Pa.

Hey, Kris: It's possible, I suppose, to play one at 1 p.m. and the other at 8 p.m. More likely, I presume, is that the games would be played on Saturday and Sunday. The New York-based NFL office would love to have this dilemma.

Hey, Tony: Since the 1999 rebirth, have there been any Browns' draft choices who have gone on to make the Pro Bowl with other teams? -- Wade Thunhorst, Dallas

Hey, Wade: Zilch.

Hey, Tony: With the defense getting more national attention and kudos, Rob Ryan may be considered for a head coaching job. Is there someone who can take over without losing too much? -- Dan Welsh, Mesa, Ariz.

Hey, Dan: If Ryan left, I would expect the Browns to go outside for his replacement.

Hey, Tony: Do you think Eric Mangini and Co., set this team behind far enough that barring an 8-8 finish he will be let go no matter what because of the 2009 draft and its wasted picks? -- Chris Romba, Erie, Pa.

Hey, Chris: I wouldn't expect Mangini's 2009 draft to play any role in his future with the team.

Hey, Tony: Why does everyone spend so much time slamming Tim Couch? By the time he was knocked out of the league, he gave more than his undertalented team, confused front office and ungrateful fans deserved. He was baptized by fire in the AFC North, played with all he had behind the league's worst O-line and paid for his effort with his health. Isn't he getting too much credit for the Browns' woes? -- Jason Bilicic, Tucson, Ariz.

Hey, Jason: I don't know of anyone who blames the team's drought on Tim Couch.

Hey, Tony: I am surprised by your lack of criticism for the decision to pass with 1:35 left in the game. Sure you hate to play for a tie, but you can either take a sure tie, or face the incredibly long odds of winning (need to go at least 65 yards in 1:30 against one of the bestdefenses in the NFL) vs. the myriad of things that can lose the game. Colt is not John Elway yet. In addition, at this point we are spoilers. A tie would have felt like a win and essentially been a loss for the Jets. -- Tom P, Chapel Hill, N.C.

Hey, Tom: Benjamin Watson was open on the first-down play. If McCoy connects, all of your points are turned upside down. My opinion on play selection in that unique situation is this: There is no manual to follow. They were damned if they do, damned if they don't. A conservative tie would make more sense if the Browns were 5-3 instead of 3-5.

-- Tony

Last edited by Line Judge; 11/21/10 08:17 AM.
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Terry Pluto's talkin' ... about the Browns' linebackers, Colt McCoy's accuracy, a third-base answer for the Tribe and the point-hungry Cavs
Published: Sunday, November 21, 2010, 2:20 AM Updated: Sunday, November 21, 2010, 2:30 AM
Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer

With veteran linebacker -- and defensive leader -- Scott Fujita sidelined with a knee injury, it will be a tougher task for the Browns to take advantage of a softer section of their schedule, beginning Sunday in Jacksonville, says Terry Pluto.

About the Browns...

1. The next five games are against Jacksonville, Carolina, Miami, Buffalo and Cincinnati. Only Sunday's opponent (5-4 Jacksonville) has a winning record. Carolina and Buffalo are 1-8, Cincinnati is 2-7. At 5-5, Miami has quarterback problems and is only 1-4 at home. Now is the time for the Browns to capitalize on the confidence from playing four of the NFL's best teams to a 2-2 record, along with the enthusiasm of the fans and the weaknesses in the schedule. The final two games are against the Steelers and Ravens, both in Cleveland.

2. Yes, the Browns have been fun to watch. Yes, they are better. But as the coaches have told the players, they are a 3-6 team. The Browns are proud of their work ethic and character, and this is time for it to show. A year ago, the Browns won their final four games because they played hard when some teams and players were giving up on the season.

3. Jacksonville is not one of those teams. The Jags can be terrible -- they have lost four games by at least 20 points. But they are in the playoff race with one of the league's hottest quarterbacks in David Garrard, who has 14 touchdown passes and only one interception in the team's five victories. Like the Jets' Mark Sanchez, he is difficult to bring down. He has run for 11 first downs and two touchdowns, along with completing 69 percent of his passes. He is scary for a Browns defense that is banged up.

4. A guess is that Scott Fujita will be out a month with a knee injury. He probably has been the defensive MVP this season, clearly the leader of the unit. David Bowens and Jason Trusnik will fill in for Fujita, and they were effective last season. Marcus Benard (5.5 sacks) will see more action.

5. Profootballfocus.com has a complex rating system for linebackers "pressuring the quarterbacks." Not sure how it all works, but they rate four Browns in the Top 15 -- Fujita, Benard, Matt Roth and Chris Gocong. Remember, this isn't pure sack totals, it's bringing pressure on the passer. They wrote: "Part of why the Browns are a team nobody wants to face is the pressure they get with linebackers moving all over the place ... this unit is making life extremely difficult for teams."

6. That Web site also ranks Shaun Rogers as "one of the toughest" interior linemen to block, and Rogers has been a factor the last few games -- even if he did miss a sack in a key part of the loss to the Jets. They rate Matt Roth as the No. 2 outside linebacker in the 3-4 defense defending the run, right behind the Steelers' James Harrison.

7. Eric Wright is tied for the league lead with six touchdown passes allowed. He had only two last season. The coaches say Wright has been working hard and knows he's not playing well -- but left unsaid is this is the first time Wright's confidence has been shaken as he also has rookie Joe Haden improving and pressing him for more time on the field.

8. Rookie Shawn Lauvao received "decent" grades for his first extended work at right guard in the loss to the Jets. The right side of the line has been hammered with injuries. John St. Clair, Tony Pashos and Bill Yates are out. Pashos and Yates were playing very well -- especially run blocking.

9. In the early 1970s, former Browns star Bill Glass (now an ordained minister) was preaching in Winston-Salem. At one point, he took off his 1964 Browns championship watch and left it on the pulpit. When he returned, it was gone. His family would love to find the watch, which they believe was stolen and then sold in the collectibles market. The name of Bill Glass is on the watch. If someone has information, please email me at terrypluto2003@yahoo.com

10. I will be signing copies of my book "What I Learned From Watching The Browns" at the Fairlawn Barnes & Noble on Tuesday from 7-8 p.m.

What the numbers say about Colt McCoy ...

Colt McCoy's accuracy -- regardless of the length of the desired pass -- is one of the most striking developments in his rookie season.
1. He is an extremely accurate passer. He is 27-of-43 on passes of one to 10 yards. That 63 percent is under the NFL average of 66 percent, but is much higher than what the Browns have had in the last few seasons. About 50 percent of most passes are in that range.

2. Here's where you really see his accuracy. He is 16-of-19 (84 percent) on passes behind the line of scrimmage. It helps that Peyton Hillis catches about everything near his fingertips. But this number is the eye-popper: He is 17-of-25 (68 percent) on passes of 11 to 20 yards. Most quarterbacks are under 50 percent on these throws.

3. For a little comparison, here are the numbers of three top quarterbacks on those one to 10 yard passes -- Peyton Manning (73 percent), Drew Brees (74 percent) and Matt Ryan (68 percent). On the 11-to-20 yarders -- Manning (50 percent), Brees (55 percent) and Ryan (60 percent).

4. He has had no fumbled snaps and no timeouts because of confusion at the line of scrimmage or not being able to get the snap off in time.

5. At 6-2, he is smaller than most quarterbacks, but he's had only one pass batted down at the line.

6. When he misses connections, he either throws long (nine times) or wide (six times). He also has thrown four passes way out of bounds. He has had only two incompletes that were underthrown -- those are the type of passes that most lead to interceptions.

7. McCoy is 27-of-43 (63 percent) passing against the blitz, a sign that he is reading defenses well and finding the open man quickly.

8. He is 38-of-57 (67 percent) passing out of the shotgun, 10-of-18 (56 percent) passing from the pro style offense under center.

9. This gets complicated, but reader Tarik Adam did a stat breakdown of McCoy's first four games -- three against Top 10 defenses. McCoy has completed 64.6 percent. Those four teams had held other quarterbacks to 61.8 percent. His two interceptions in 99 throws would rank 11th among starting quarterbacks.

10. Finally, former Brown Jerry Sherk emailed from Encinitas, Calif: "Terry, I'm most impressed that Colt doesn't make the glaring rookie mistakes. He does make some mistakes, but not the kind that lose games. ... This version of the Browns make me hungry to watch them (on my laptop) ... it's been a long time since I felt that way."

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index.ssf/2010/11/terry_plutos_talkin_about_the_24.html

M
All Pro
All Pro
M
Quote:

"This version of the Browns make me hungry to watch them (on my laptop) ... it's been a long time since I felt that way."

Hey, Jerry Sherk and I have something in common. Even typing that sentence makes me feel pretty bad ass

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"One man's Bum is another man's Hobo" - Waterdawg
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Thought this was a pretty interesting article from the Canton Rep;

Life After Winslow

Quote:

Ben Watson will turn 30 next month, an age at which tight ends tend to decline.

On the other hand, former Kent State basketball player Antonio Gates turned 30 in June, and he is easily the class of his position in the NFL this year.

Watson has caught a second wind in Cleveland, not in Gates’ class, but in the ballpark with everybody else.

Watson played six years in New England before signing a three-year deal with the Browns on March 12.

Even though he is a former Round 1 pick, the deal barely raised an eyebrow. There was a slight hint of other Browns signings of former first-round tight ends. Remember Irv Smith? Probably not. He had a 222-yard year after signing with the Browns in 1999 at age 27.

Rickey Dudley might ring a clearer bell, since he played at Ohio State. Originally a No. 9 overall pick by Oakland, he was 28 when he signed with the Browns in 2001. He caught nine passes in four games, broke a foot, then did next to nothing with the Bucs the next three years.

Forgetting Smith and Dudley, Watson’s production had faded in his final three years with New England — he averaged 29 catches for 334 yards, a pittance in relation to the league’s better tight ends.

With seven games left in 2010, Watson leads the Browns in catches with 36 and receiving yards with 434. And Colt McCoy might just be starting to figure out how to use Watson’s size, speed, good hands and experience.

“We can use him in any situation,” said McCoy, who leaned on Watson in drives that nearly beat the Jets. “He can be in when we run a low power. He’s a great blocker, and he can (line up wide) and spread the field.

“You can get him matched up on linebackers ... he’s a very good player. He helps our offense a lot.”

Eric Mangini spent two years around Watson in New England, 2004 and 2005, then faced Watson six times as head coach of the Jets.

“Why his numbers may have gone down in different years? It could have been a function of the volume of options the Patriots had,” Mangini said. “I know in getting ready for him in New York, it was an issue, and you better have a plan to deal with him because he can make some incredible catches.

“We’ve seen a few here, but there will be more to come.”

For what it’s worth, Watson is having a slightly better year than ex-Brown Kellen Winslow, for about one-third the price.

HOLD YOUR HORSES

Browns President Mike Holmgren has not revealed his thoughts on the topic, but Mangini has made it clear four starts is not enough to anoint McCoy as the Browns’ quarterback of the future.

It could be that Mangini sees that writing on the wall, but he says it makes little sense to hang that tag on a rookie, and since he was not a first-round pick, no one has to.

One interesting comparison to McCoy — and one that advises caution in getting too carried away — is Eric Zeier.

Bill Belichick made Zeier, from Georgia, the No. 84 overall pick of the 1995 draft. Holmgren saw to it that McCoy was picked at No. 85 this year.

Zeier and McCoy both are 6-foot-1.

Zeier got his first NFL start as a Browns rookie in Game 8. McCoy’s first start was in Game 6.

Mangini was a low-level assistant on Belichick’s staff when Zeier made his first start as a rookie in Game 8.

“Weren’t we up by like 10 points or 14 points with 1:30 left and they scored?” Mangini said. “I’m glad we won (29-26 in overtime), but talk about miserable. It’s unfair to put someone under pressure like that.”

Zeier went 26-of-46 for 310 yards that day. The real misery unfolded while Zeier practiced for his next start. Owner Art Modell announced he was moving the team to Baltimore.

It is nearly forgotten that Zeier was asked to be a mad bomber in the next game, since fans showing up at Municipal Stadium were out of their minds over the announcement. For the record, though, Zeier went 28-of-54 for 273 yards, a touchdown and three interceptions in a 37-10 loss to the Houston Oilers.

Zeier started two more games, made the move to Baltimore, and faded from relevance.

McCoy has been under a different kind of pressure, and so far has handled it well.

“I’d much rather look at it as seeing his growth and being able to give him more each week,” Mangini said. “At some point, he’s going to deal with adversity, a bad game, all of those different components quarterbacks go through.

“You want to see how he responds. I’m excited about what he’s done, I really am. But there’s no need to put that added pressure on him. Keep growing, and the future will take care of itself.”

HILLIS vs. JONES-DREW

Sunday’s game could boil down to whether Jacksonville’s Maurice Jones-Drew has been passed by Cleveland’s Peyton Hillis as a force at running back.

Jones-Drew ran for 1,391 yards and 15 touchdowns in 2009 while Hillis was glued to Denver’s bench.

This year, Jones-Drew and Hillis rank No. 10 and No. 12 in the NFL, respectively. Jones-Drew leads Hillis 745-726 in yards, but he has had substantially more carries, 186-152. Hillis leads Jones-Drew 34-21 in catches, 256-176 in receiving yards and 9-5 in rushing-receiving touchdowns.

A DRAFT WHISPER

The day before the 2006 draft, Maurice Jones-Drew’s agent called an Ohio writer to say he thought the Browns would pick the 5-foot-7 running back in the second round. It might have happened had Phil Savage not pounced on the chance to get a linebacker he liked, D’Qwell Jackson. Jones-Drew fell to the latter part of Round 2, where the Jaguars jumped on him with the No. 60 overall pick. Late in the draft, Savage did find good value in Round 5 when he picked running back Jerome Harrison.

Jackson has run into injury hardship and will have missed 26 of 32 games by the end of this year.

Who knows how things might have changed for the Browns had they picked Jones-Drew? But just for grins, imagine a backfield platoon of Jones-Drew and Peyton Hillis ... .

ON GARRARD

David Garrard has spent his entire nine-year NFL career in Jacksonville, but his 2010 has been all over the place.

He threw three TD passes in the opener against Denver, then coughed up four interceptions a week later at San Diego.

He was 13 of 30 for a measly 105 yards in a 28-3 home loss to Philadelphia. A week later, he out-dueled Peyton Manning with a 17 of 22, two-TD day in a 31-28 win.

TWELVE TIGHT ENDS

Cleveland’s Ben Watson has been the most productive tight end in the AFC North this year. The NFL’s top 12 producers at the position in 2010, based on receiving yards

Rank, player Rec.-Yards, Avg. TDs

1, Antonio Gates, Chargers 40-663, 16.6 9

2, Vernon Davis, 49ers 37-513, 13.9 4

3, Jason Witten, Cowboys 46-513, 11.2 3

4, Dustin Keller, Jets 33-472, 14.3 5

5, Chris Cooley, Redskins 42-463, 11.0 2

6, Zach Miller, Raiders 34-461, 13.6 4

7, Aaron Hernandez, Patriots 34-436, 12.8 2

8, Ben Watson, Browns 36-434, 12.1 2

9, Brandon Pettigrew, Lions 42-412, 9.8 3

10, Tony Gonzalez, Falcons 39-402, 9.8 3

11, Kellen Winslow Jr., Bucs 39-402, 10.3 1

12, Todd Heap, Ravens 30-398, 13.3 4

FIVE AT 24

The first four starts of four NFL quarterbacks when they were 24 years old. All three turned 24 during the summer of the years listed, except Trent Edwards, who turned 24 in October. Tim Couch was in his third NFL season. Tom Brady was in his second year but had not played as a rookie. Edwards, Charlie Frye and Colt McCoy were rookies.

Quarterback, year and team Cmp.-Att., Pct. Yds. TDs.-Ints. Record

Tim Couch, 1999 Browns 67-114, 58.8 766 4-4 3-1

Tom Brady, 2001 Patriots 74-121, 61.2 840 5-0 3-1

Charlie Frye, 2005 Browns 70-111, 63.3 745 3-2 1-3

Trent Edwards, 2007 Bills 70-101, 69.3 693 1-4 3-1

Colt McCoy, 2010 Browns 64-99, 64.6 734 2-2 2-2

RUNNING AHEAD, FOR ONCE

Anybody get the funny feeling this Browns team is running the ball better than usual? Here are some numbers to back it up.

For the first time in 12 seasons, the Browns are on course to run for more yards than their opponents.

Here is a look at the year-by-year rushing averages by the Browns and against them, and who was running the shows on offense and defense.

YEAR BROWNS, COORDINATOR FOES, COORDINATOR

1999 71.9, Chris Palmer* 171.0, Bob Slowik

2000 67.8, Pete Carmichael 156.6, Romeo Crennel

2001 84.4, Bruce Arians 138.0, Foge Fazio

2002 100.9, Arians 129.9, Fazio

2003 104.4, Arians 132.1, Dave Campo

2004 103.6, Terry Robiskie 144.6, Campo

2005 93.9, Mo Carthon 137.6, Todd Grantham

2006 83.4, Carthon/Jeff Davidson 142.2, Grantham

2007 118.4, Rob Chudzinski 129.5, Grantham

2008 100.3, Chudzinski 151.9, Mel Tucker

2009 130.4, Brian Daboll 144.6, Rob Ryan

2010 116.1, Daboll 113.2, Ryan

Enjoy the read and Go Browns!!

Hears to hoping Dorsey is the Browns Ozzie Newsome.
Legend
Legend
Great erad, Line Judge. Thanx! I can only take so much of Grossi, but I really enjoy Pluto and think he has a great handle on things as rule. Go Browns!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Grossi, Pluto Sunday Articles

Link Copied to Clipboard