Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I've been doing my research into my genealogy over the last bit of time as some of my facebook friends will attest. Personally I find the trip fascinating looking back into where my family has come from. The locations vary and the languages can be frustrating, but the information you find and the long lost relatives you come across can be extremely rewarding.

Personally I've found 2 of my cousins who have put me in touch with other family member that have given my lineage a history channel story line. I've located family that has been in every war since the Revolution, and I've discovered the history of 4 or 5 other countries that I never new about (and I fancy myself a history buff).

My most recent discovery has been about my great uncle John who was on board the USS Oklahoma when Pearl Harbor was hit on Dec 7, 1941. Got that verified about 2 hours ago and even though I was in Pearl (many years later mind you), and I gave my tears to the Pacific at the memorial of the many great ships that lay there, I had no idea my Uncle was among those that fought that day. He did survive. One of a very few. He was also a Quartermaster. Very cool stuff.

Anyone else made the journey into the past to see what lies there?

KeysDawg

The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. - Carl Sagan
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Some of the sites I have used among others (not a complete list):

Ancestry.com - A place to compile my family tree and adjust and add folks as I find them. Plus a enormous wealth of information available. It is a subscription site, but you get a lot of tools that are available for free.

footnote.com - A lot of archived info from a lot of places. Kinda an a la carte system, lets you pay for what you print/save.

Archives.gov - Military records mostly is what I've used this for.

familysearch.org - Has a TON of info from census records and birth/death records, marriage records ect for FREE! Love this site. But it is kinda limited to the Stateside records. Has some over seas records, but not a lot of functionality there.

ellisisland.org - Free with sign up, no charges for records on who came when and where. Some extra's that you can pay for if you want, but I've not found any that I "need" to pay for.

KeysDawg

The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. - Carl Sagan
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Never knew anything about my family, where we came from, what our history was, or anything. Growing up, it was my mother, my half-sister and myself, and no family to speak of. My mother was adopted by her uncle and his wife after her parents left when she was around four or five. We never knew where they went or what became of them. After an extensive genealogical search, I found out that both of my parents families have been in the United States since the early to mid 1700's, throughout the Pennsylvania and Ohio regions. My mother's father's family has been traced back to Germany in the mid-1500s, and my mom's mother's family traced back to Switzerland in the late 1600's. Both sides of my father's family have been traced to France, going back to the 1600s.

A weird coincidence: I discovered that my grandparents, my mother's real parents, were buried less than ten miles from where I lived in California. They had apparently moved there sometime in the late 20's and died in the late 40's. That was strange. No one in the family ever knew what happened to them, and I found them laid to rest within miles of where I was living, on the other side of the country. Small world.

I know we all come from somewhere, but growing up, and well into adulthood, I felt very isolated, sort of alone in the world, if that makes sense. Finding this information didn't really change who I was, but it wasn't until I discovered it, and studied the family trees and saw all the branches, that I truly felt connected and got a real sense of where I came from. I now know I have cousins and relatives living all over the world. Good stuff.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I've been slowly working on a family tree with Ancestory.com. Fascinating stuff to be found, no doubt.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
Legend
Legend
My grandfather was an orphan who came over by ship from England to the US as a teenager. My father was adopted.

I'd have no idea where the hell to start.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Quote:

My grandfather was an orphan who came over by ship from England to the US as a teenager. My father was adopted.

I'd have no idea where the hell to start.

Start with your name. You'd be surprised what might show up on Ancestry. You can enter your folks names and go from there. There are a lot of Orphan ID sites too that can help you figure it out.

KeysDawg

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Geneology tips and discussion...

Link Copied to Clipboard