#565759 01/30/11 11:07 AM
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Terry Pluto's Talkin' ... about the Browns' off-season moves,
Published: Sunday, January 30, 2011, 3:00 AM
By Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer

About the Browns...

1. The hiring of Dick Jauron as defensive coordinator probably means a switch to a 4-3 defense. We don't know that for sure, as the Browns have not made Jauron available for interviews, nor have they signaled what type of defense is being prepared for 2010. But Jauron played a 4-3 in his seasons as a head coach and defensive coordinator, and team president Mike Holmgren preferred the 4-3 when he was a coach. So it's a safe bet the Browns will switch after six years of the 3-4 under former coaches Romeo Crennel and Eric Mangini.

2. This change is a big deal because it means the Browns now need four defensive linemen -- and they had trouble finding three healthy and effective defensive linemen last season. Ahtyba Rubin is their best lineman. He was a nose tackle in the 3-4, and he can play tackle in the 4-3. So can Shaun Rogers. But he'll be 32 in March. He packed on pounds and had several injuries last season. He played in 15 games but had only 17 tackles and played 39 percent of the snaps.

3. Looking at the roster, defensive end Kenyon Coleman returns -- and he'll be 32. Although he was a backup, Brian Schaefering played 45 percent of the snaps. Dereck Robinson saw some action. The Browns traded for Jayme Mitchell, he's supposedly better in the 4-3 but never appeared in a game. Veteran Robaire Smith had back problems and may be forced to retire.

4. The point is the Browns probably need at least two starting linemen, and that assumes someone such as outside linebacker Matt Roth can become a regular at defensive end. Linebacker Marcus Benard led the team with eight sacks, and he may be able to be a defensive end.

5. According to Profootballfocus.com, Roth rated 10th among all outside linebackers in the 3-4 defense, and he was fifth against the run. At 6-4 and 275 pounds, he should be able to play defensive end. He also is a free agent, although it's hard to know what exactly that will mean with the new labor agreement.

6. Among the defensive linemen, only Rubin (67 percent) and Coleman (51 percent) played at least 50 percent of the snaps. So the Browns need lots of help. The lack of depth presents a real challenge for General Manager Tom Heckert, who has many other holes to fill.

7. When it comes to the 4-3 defense, the middle linebacker is the key. Who plays that spot? Chris Gocong and Eric Barton were the inside linebackers in the 3-4, but they hardly are dominating players. Supposedly, D'Qwell Jackson was better suited for a 4-3 defense, but he played the first six games of 2009 -- and has been out ever since with chest injuries. Hard to know if he can come back, or how he'll play if he's on the field.

8. Scott Fujita is athletic enough to play in almost any defense, so there should be a spot for him at linebacker. But hard to know if that's true of Gocong, Barton, David Bowens and some of the others. That said, the Browns really need another cornerback and safety. But the defensive line now screams for more attention with the change to a 4-3.

9. This is not the main reason Jeff Fisher was fired by Tennessee, but the veteran coach was second-guessed for firing Earnest Byner as running backs coach after the 2009 season. The former Brown had helped Chris Johnson to his 2,006-yard rushing season. Making it worse for Fisher, he hired Kennedy Pola to replace Byner. But a few months later -- before training camp -- Pola quit to take a job at USC. Johnson still had a good year with 1,364 rushing, but some with the Titans said Byner was missed. Byner was hired by Jacksonville, where he helped Maurice Jones-Drew to a 1,324-yard season, and Jones-Drew missed the final two games.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index.ssf/2011/01/terry_plutos_talkin_about_the_27.html

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Colt McCoy and the upcoming draft dominate the mailbag: Hey, Tony!
Published: Saturday, January 29, 2011, 11:50 PM
By Tony Grossi, The Plain Dealer

Hey, Tony: Given that the Browns were two high ankle sprains away from the front office's plan to sit Colt McCoy last season, would Tom Heckert/Mike Holmgren be approaching the crucial QB draft issue differently if he hadn't played? In other words, was the plan to start McCoy in his second year in the West Coast offense under new coaching or was he drafted due to Holmgren's philosophy to pick a QB every year? -- Steve Cornelius, Avon Lake

Hey, Steve: This is an excellent question. If McCoy had not played a single down, I believe the Browns would consider taking a quarterback with their first pick a lot more than now. With a month to go in the 2010 season, Holmgren told me that "at the very least," McCoy had earned the right to compete for the starting job in 2011. Now, that was before he had a couple of bad games to conclude the season. I think the quarterback issue -- as always -- is a dominant point of conversation in the halls of Berea.

Hey, Tony: We all know we can't talk free agency until a labor deal has been reached, but do you think the Browns would consider signing back Kameron Wimbley as a free agent to be DE in the new 4-3 defense? He's young, played the position in college, can rush the passer, and it would fill one of the holes on the D Line. -- Joe Crespo, Houston, Texas

Hey, Joe: So after spending five years developing into an NFL linebacker, you want to move him back to defensive end? Hey, I've heard worse ideas. I always thought letting him go was a puzzling move.

Hey, Tony: A couple of Web sites are reporting DE Jayme Mitchell will be a free agent after the 2010 season. Please tell me he signed a new deal when he became a Brown via a trade from the Vikings this year. If not and the Browns lose him in free agency it will be the weirdest signing in Browns history. -- Dale Galbraith, Barberton

Hey, Dale: According to NFLPA salary information, Mitchell's contract indeed expired after the 2010 season, making him a free agent of some kind, dependent on the labor situation. Yes, this was one of the weirdest trades I've come across. The guy never played in a 3-4 and never sniffed a minute of playing time and now is a free agent.

Hey, Tony: I know you don't like taking uniform questions, but do you think the Browns will consider bringing back the orange pants that they would wear back in the good old days? -- Doug Barnes, Cleveland

Hey, Doug: I heard new coach Pat Shurmur on Pro Football Talk Live asked about the orange pants and he couldn't believe uniform color was even a topic of discussion. Boy, is he in for a surprise.

Hey, Tony: The inability of the new head coach to assemble a staff is very troubling. Especially accompanied by the lack of comments from the front office. I understand that an established OC would not want to come here because of Shurmur calling the plays. But what gives on defense? The only remaining explanation I can think of is that they are targeting an assistant on one of the teams still in the thick of things. But of the 4-3 teams nobody on the staffs stands out. Also, letting the special teams coach walk is another problem. As much as Mangini's reputation proceeded him he was able to put together a very good staff (other than Daboll -- had to get that shot in) in relative short order. What does this all mean? Are we going back to Chris Palmer era? -- Joe Carlton, Highland Heights

Hey, Joe: Since you submitted your question the Browns hired Dick Jauron as defensive coordinator. He's a respected defensive coach who was their first choice. I've heard a few assistants have been hired -- or rehired from the old staff -- but the Browns haven't confirmed them yet. As for the offensive coordinator, I would reserve judgment until the final spots are filled. They've already got enough cooks on offense to stir the broth, anyway.

Hey, Tony: With the possible move to a West Coast offense, where does Lawrence Vickers fit in? The offense requires both backs to be able to catch the ball. Vickers might be a good trade bait along with Shaun Rogers, don't you think? -- Rod Sauer, Athens

Hey, Rod: It would appear Vickers' skill set does not mesh with the West Coast offense. Trouble is, his contract is up and will be a free agent. So he can't be traded. Somebody told me Rogers had some kind of clause in his contract that made it nearly impossible to trade him in 2010. I'm not sure if the clause is effective in 2011.

Hey, Tony: Who is in charge of hiring the coordinators and assistants? Does it fall on Shurmur, Heckert, Holmgren or a combination of all three? What is the exact process? -- Alan Kiesinger, Avoca, Pa.

Hey, Alan: Ordinarily, the head coach selects the candidates, conducts the interviews and makes the hire. It is not unusual, however, for the team president and GM to participate, especially when the head coach has not been a head coach before.

Hey, Tony: Is there ever a case where a true Browns fan would root for the Steelers? I'm 60 and I say no. Forget about the Ravens. You can blame Art. How long have the Ravens even been around? The Steelers have always been our greatest rival. They both went to the AFC together. They've played 117 times. The Turnpike rivalry. Some people here at work are rooting for the Steelers to beat the Jets. I say they are closet Steelers fans who for whatever reason are living in Cleveland. I can't see myself ever rooting for the Steelers, ever. -- Ken Jaris, Parma Heights

Hey, Ken: Don't change, but understand that it's OK to have grudging respect for the Steelers' magnificent organization. If they weren't the Browns' fiercest rival, I think most fans in Cleveland would long to have a football franchise like that to root for. By the way, they did vote against the move of Art Modell's team to Baltimore in 1996.

Hey, Tony: The team just hired Dick Jauron as their DC, just lost Brad Seely, and have not hired an OC. A lot of names have surfaced during the searches, what is going on with the organization that it seems hardly nobody wants to take a job with the Browns? -- Mike Meade, Marion

Hey, Mike: The Eagles, Cardinals and Raiders still are looking for their defensive coordinator. I wouldn't jump off the I-480 bridge over it. There's a lot of consternation in the assistant coaching world as a result of the impending owners lockout. Besides, in previous times, the Browns have waited for the Super Bowl to finish to fill their head coach job.

Hey, Tony: Why not tailor the defense to the talents of the available talent that we have or can get? Instead we seem to simply go with what the coach likes. The 3-4 and 4-3 both can be successful. Good coaches should be able to adapt to the players' strengths. -- Rudy Wachtler, Phoenix, Ariz.

Hey, Rudy: That's fine in theory, but most of the time coaches implement their system and the players adapt. One notable exception is that when Mike Tomlin took over as Steelers coach, everyone thought he'd implement the 4-3 "cover 2" defense he was comfortable with and raised in. Smartly, Tomlin kept Dick LeBeau as defensive coordinator and continued the zone blitz 3-4 scheme. Two Super Bowls later ...

Hey, Tony: Just got finished reading highlights from Pat Shurmur's first press conference and all three -- Holmgren, Heckert and the coach -- are saying Colt McCoy has the skills to be a good quarterback. What do you think? -- Donald Pasqualetti, Reading

Hey, Donald: The Browns are hoping that the West Coast offense will bring out the best in McCoy. I agree that system will maximize his many skills and attributes.

Hey, Tony: How do you think this past season would have played out had it not been for the presence of rookies T.J. Ward and Joe Haden? I ask this question trying to gauge how much farther we can come along next season if we have a equally successful upcoming draft. -- Justin Sacco, Phoenix, Ariz.

Hey, Justin: Overall, Haden, Ward and McCoy contributed more, probably, than expected. At the same time, Montario Hardesty and Shawn Lauvao did little, Hardesty because of injury and Lauvao partly due to an injury. It's extremely tough to get five main contributors from one draft class. Three is good and four is real good. If Hardesty and Lauvao make real contributions in 2011 -- and the three others improve on their rookie seasons -- that's a heck of a draft class. The 2011 draft class has to provide some legitimate playmakers instantly.

Hey, Tony: Nine sacks this year ... and they thought I was only worth a third-round pick! -- Kamerion Wimbley, Oakland, Calif.

Hey, Kamerion: I said and wrote at the time that the Wimbley trade was a puzzler to me. They used the pick to select Colt McCoy. If McCoy is the real deal, the trade will tilt in the Browns' favor.

Hey, Tony: Assuming that the Browns will switch to a 4-3 defense, if we made no moves to shore up the line and backer positions, who would be our front seven starters? Do you think that the hiring of Dick Jauron will help the Browns attract quality free agents? I think we are going to need all the help we can get to be able to field a half-way decent defense -- D.A. Pimley, Centreville, Va.

Hey, D.A.: No moves to the front seven? That's a scary thought. The following players on the front seven are potential free agents: Matt Roth, Jayme Mitchell, Marcus Benard, D'Qwell Jackson, Jason Trusnik, Brian Schaefering. I don't think the hiring of Jauron will have an effect on free agency other than to require different style of players to plug into the 4-3.

Hey, Tony: My question pertains to the 1986 AFC Championship. I was watching a replay and the Browns had Denver in a third and 18 in the closing minutes. Elway threw a pass for 25 yards and the receiver was wide open. There was no missed tackles on the play. In that situation, how could a player get that wide open so deep? It was neither a great throw or a great catch. Just throwing the ball down the center of the field. Did you ever hear an explanation of what happened? -- Frank DeSarro, Duryea, Pa.

Hey, Frank: I believe Hanford Dixon missed or lost his assignment on the play you mention. I think it's still a sore point with him, obviously.

Hey, Tony: I am actually excited about the coaching changes and the direction of the team but still acknowledge the Browns need a decent player at almost every position to fill either depth or needs. The draft can fill some voids but trades are crucial. Are we understating just how important this labor issue is in regards to building the team through free agency? -- Eliot Clasen, Cape Coral, Fla.

Hey, Eliot: Most everything is on hold -- free agency, trades, draft pick signings -- until a new bargaining agreement is done. The only events taking place as scheduled are the NFL combine in February and the draft on April 28-30.

Hey, Tony: Which position do you think is the most urgent need for the Browns? Do you think switching to a 4-3 is a good idea given the team's lack of depth on the defensive line? -- Curtis Lehr, Brook Park

Hey, Curtis: Defensive line is the most urgent need, simply because of a lack of bodies. Cornerback is not that far behind. Receiver is the most urgent need on offense. I think the perceived need at right tackle would be lessened if Floyd Womack were put ahead of John St. Clair and Shawn Lauvao moved to right guard. Still, a young developmental tackle is a need.

Hey, Tony: Do you use the No. 6 pick on the best player on the board regardless of position or do you commit to D-line or receiver? Is QB out of the question? -- Jeff Draime, Warren

Hey, Jeff: The best player on the board at No. 6 would help the Browns, regardless of position. Quarterback? Oh, geez, here we go again.

Hey, Tony: Matt Hasselbeck, who has a mediocre arm at best, has some of his best games in harsh northern weather. He racked up 662 yards, 7TDs and one interception in the playoffs this year. I believe the QB has little to do with the wins in cold weather outside of not making mistakes. Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl with Baltimore, as a key example. Curious your take on my examples. -- Chris Cheney, Elyria

Hey, Chris: Listen, everyone wants to believe Colt McCoy is the guy. I'm not trying to blow up anyone's fantasy. I just have concerns about his arm. Me and 30 other teams pretty much have the same concern. Maybe he overcomes it. Don't kill the messenger. Hasselbeck hit a brick wall, I believe, in Chicago. Dilfer played behind simply one of the greatest defenses of this generation. Do you want a QB who wins nine or 10 games and maybe a playoff game? Or do you want a quarterback to take your team to the Super Bowl? That's the question.

View full sizeGus Chan / The Plain DealerDid Mike Holmgren give former head coach Eric Mangini all the needed help and support before eventually firing him? A reader wonders, but Tony Grossi is convinced.
Hey, Tony: You said last week the following: "I'm sure Holmgren will take a more active role alongside Shurmur than he took with Mangini." If this is true, then Holmgren should be fired for dereliction of duty. If you're going to tell me, a long-time season ticket holder, that Holmgren would actively help one HC and not another in the same circumstance, then he should be fired because he failed the organization. -- Mike B., Dover

Hey, Mike: Holmgren was there to help. The head coach and coordinator have to embrace the concept.

Hey, Tony: With regards to concerns about the strength of Colt McCoy's arm, are your concerns based on the 10 or 12 throws he's made deeper that 30 yards, or the dozens he threw of less than 20 yards? He seems to have velocity and accuracy on medium range and short passes which are the hallmark of the West Coast offense as I understand it. -- Mr. P., Worthington

Hey, Mr. P.: It's not only the deep vertical throws but also the deep sideline outs.

Hey, Tony: Here is a quote from you last week and I want to prove you wrong. "I was touting defensive line help long before the apparent switch to the 4-3 scheme. Receivers can be had in any round." Fact, the only talent we have had here catching the ball since 1999 is Winslow and Edwards, both first-round picks. 2. Since 1999, the Browns are the kings of drafting receivers in round two -- K Johnson, Q Morgan, Northcutt, A Davis, Robiskie, Massoquoi, etc. That did not work. 3. Fact, maybe the 3 best receivers in the NFL were 1st rd picks in A Johnson, C Johnson, and Fitzgerald. Get a Vincent Jackson via free agency and if available draft A.J. Green (or Julio Jones) in round 1. If Colt plays well the offense is fixed. Then I promise you can use the remaining draft on defense. -- Nathan Cornell, Minneapolis, Minn.

Hey, Nathan: The Steelers prove my point -- that you can find very good receivers in just about any round. I'm trying to think of what Andre Johnson and Calvin Johnson have ever won in the NFL and my mind escapes me. Fitzgerald, yes, he was the best of a very loaded offensive football team. It's all about scouting. Anybody can choose the highest-rated receiver in all the draft books, if that's what you want. Did you say Vincent Jackson, the second-rounder from Northern Colorado? Precisely my point, pal.

Hey, Tony: When Mangini arrived, he brought in several coaches and players that knew his system and philosophies. You constantly tore him apart for it. Now, it's quite apparent that Holmgren only looked for coaches/head execs represented by agent Bob LaMonte. Why haven't you publicly lambasted him for this yet? -- Wyatt Graff, Atlanta, Ga.

Hey, Wyatt: First off, it's cronyism, not nepotism. And I have written about it. I was the first one to point out that LaMonte would have tremendous influence on the Browns' organization going forward. I didn't constantly tear Mangini apart for it. I merely pointed out every time he brought in a crony and tallied the ex-Jets on the roster. Just the facts.

Hey, Tony: Why is everyone making such a big deal about the switch from a 3-4 defense to a 4-3? Does no one realize that the Browns frequently employed a 4-, 5- or even 6-man front throughout the season, depending on the situation? I don't believe the switch will be that much of an adjustment when you consider that all of the players at some point, if not most, of their careers have played in a 4-3 alignment. Am I missing something? -- Patrick Gilmore, Level Cross, N.C.

Hey, Patrick: I agree with you.

Hey, Tony: The Browns lack talent on both sides of the ball with the largest hole being the lack of a franchise QB. I look at our division and it appears the Browns need at least three successful drafts, including the franchise QB, before they could be expected to reach and maintain a playoff-caliber level. Obviously scoring with free agents could shorten that scenario. But it sure looks like at least two more years. -- Jeff Draime, Warren

Hey, Jeff: The Browns need a franchise quarterback. Is it McCoy? I don't know. The point is, we are in a "don't know" mode at that position. Until we do know, nothing will change. Do the Steelers know about Ben Roethlisberger? Yes. Do the Ravens know about Joe Flacco? Yes. The Browns need at least two more drafts of producing 3-4 quality, starting players each time.

Hey, Tony: I greatly appreciate your concerns about the average player age of the Browns, the need to get some 3 to 4 starters out of each draft, and ones that can play well in the NE Ohio cold. This leads me to getting a good TE in the third or fourth round such as Mount Union's Kyle Miller, who the Packers are scouting because he catches well, blocks well, plays well in NE Ohio cold in playoff wins, and is a long snapper, too. Your'thoughts on him or other TE candidates? -- Alan Fojt, Manassas, Va.

Hey, Alan: I am unfamiliar with Kyle Miller. I would suggest, however, that Evan Moore fits nicely in the West Coast offense and Benjamin Watson is a quality player at tight end as well.

Hey, Tony: I agree with you that what the Browns have been doing lately hasn't worked against the Steelers and Ravens, so why not try the West Coast offense. My question is does your quarterback need a rocket arm to succeed in the WCO? -- Marty McQuaide, Warren

Hey, Marty: Rocket arm to succeed in the WCO? No. Very good arm to succeed in Cleveland in December and January? Yes.

Hey, Tony: The experts say Joe Flacco and Jay Cutler are great QBs. They show me nothing. I would take Colt McCoy over both. Am I nuts? -- Steve Bunnell, Conneaut

Hey, Steve: No, not nuts. You are a Browns fan. You are entitled to ignore the qualities of players on opposing teams and believe that your team's players are the very best. I think Flacco is going to be an elite QB. Not quite there yet, but close. Cutler, I don't like. Certainly not a great quarterback and may never be. But McCoy is unproven, of course, and can only hope to achieve with the other two have.

Hey, Tony: Will you move to L.A. to cover the Browns when they move there in the next year or two? -- Justin Johnson, Perrysburg

Hey, Justin: I think you're confusing me with somebody else.

View full sizeRusty Kennedy / Associated PressBill Cowher overrated? Tony isn't buying it.
Hey, Tony: I am boycotting the Super Bowl this year because I cannot stand to see the Pittsburgh Steelers back in the Super Bowl. I hate them. P.S. Mike Tomlin is taking the Steelers to the Super Bowl for the 2nd time in his short tenure there, which tells me Bill Cowher is overrated. -- Bill Russ, Virginia Beach, Va.

Hey, Bill: Why, of course, Cowher was overrated. I believe he only won the Super Bowl after the Steelers drafted a quarterback in the first round. Getting to a Super Bowl with Neil O'Donnell. Any coach could have done that, right?

Hey, Tony: What a lot of you did to Mangini and staff is without a doubt "running a coach" textbook edition. What is even more puzzling to me is how I barely see you write two words about our new coach, but you still write negative articles on Mangini weeks after he was fired. You even had multiple digs at him while tweeting from the Steelers game. I have to believe that you like many others are stunned we now have a no-name coach that no Browns fan had ever heard of and most realize is a puppet for Holmgren. Deep down you know you never in a million years imagined Pat Shurmur would be our coach, but rather had visions of a big name savior coming our way and I think that is why you can't let the Mangini thing go. -- Michael Spitale, Galena

Hey, Michael: I don't know how Shurmur will do. I know how Mangini did (10-22).

Hey, Tony: I'm sorry but I just don't believe in this current coaching lineup. Dick Jauron isn't a Dick LeBeau. His defenses are suspect against the run, they aren't genuinely tough either. On top of that we have to overhaul the defense to at least make it serviceable for a 4-3 during a time when we are losing/have lost at least one corner, may be losing our free safety, our other corner is getting long in the tooth and we really don't have a 4-3 middle linebacker. I'm not even excited for the upcoming season. -- Randy Brown, Huntington, W.Va.

Hey, Randy: If the old defense was producing wins instead of near-misses, I might agree.

Hey, Tony: Any chance Brad Childress will be coming to Cleveland as OC? -- Ron Jones, Mechanicsville, Va.

Hey, Ron: Doesn't appear so.

Hey, Tony: You stated that defenses no longer win championships. When I watch all four teams in championship games I see four great defenses. The Browns in the draft must take a front 7 defensive player with their first pick (Fairley, Bowers) and even possibly another in Round 2. If we do not measure defensive intensity of Ravens and Steelers we have no shot of ever getting out of our own division. We have to go defense, defense, defense in the draft don't you think? -- Doug Howes, Columbia, Mo.

Hey, Doug: There are no absolutes in the NFL anymore. A couple years ago, the Colts had the worst defense against the run and they won the Super Bowl. But they had a great offense. The object is to be great on one side of the ball and very good on the other. You can choose which side you want to be great. But if you don't have a quarterback, all will be lost. (And please don't bring up Trent Dilfer and the Baltimore Ravens. That was now 11 years ago.)

Hey, Tony: If there really is a prolonged lockout that wipes out the entire 2011 season, how upset do you think Browns' fans will really be? What are we going to miss, another 10+ loss season, being annihilated by the Steelers twice (again) and watching them repeat as Super Bowl champs? -- Zach Allen, Columbus

Hey, Zach: Maybe fans will turn their attention to Aston Villa FC.

Hey, Tony: Given that in the end it is player personnel that wins or loses, how much do you think the 2009 draft doomed the Mangini regime or at least was a major contributor? On an unrelated issue, did Peyton Hillis stop leaping players after the Buffalo game? After that fumble I don't recall him leaping anymore. -- Glenn Studevant, Tucson, Ariz.

Hey, Glenn: The 2009 draft certainly contributed to Mangini's demise. The second season of those players should have boosted the team to a higher level. Instead, many were cut and a couple regressed or stayed the same. Yes, Alex Mack earned a trip to the Pro Bowl (after two player injuries ahead of him). But if your best player out of a whole draft is a center, well, that's why the team is in so need of playmakers.

Hey, Tony: I still think we will need a safety to play with T.J. Ward and another corner to play opposite Joe Haden. I can't explain Eric Wright's horrible year, but I do not see him as an answer opposite Joe. Eric looked lost and confused on the field and his tackling is still questionable, particularly in run support. -- Tony Juliano, Jacksonville, Fla.

Hey, Tony: Agreed. Defensive line and cornerback are positions with multiple needs.

Hey, Tony: I just finished watching highlights of Colt McCoy in college. I watched him throw several balls 40+ yards in the air while hitting the receiver in stride. How much more arm strength do you need? He seems to be very accurate with throws all over the field, including while on the run. Are we overreacting on the weak arm QB storyline? -- Drew Bush, Bluffton, Ind.

Hey, Drew: What was the weather like on those games you watched? McCoy's arm strength looks fine in preseason and early fall. But Texas didn't play many games in sub-30 degrees with 20 mph winds. Arm strength is not just about distance. It's spinning the ball through wind and the elements.

Hey, Tony: Is Pat Shurmur serious about doing the offensive play calling? If so, why would a top NFL OC come here if he not in charge of play calling? -- Jimmy Brock, Berkeley, Calif.

Hey, Jimmy: I can't understand why people are fretting about this. Most offensive-minded head coaches call their own plays. I don't think the Browns coveted a "top NFL OC." That's supposed to be Shurmur.

Hey, Tony: Under the "Way Too Early" column, how would you rate Joe Thomas' career so far? I've always believed Anthony Munoz to be the best lineman I've ever seen play, but if Thomas can stay healthy for the next eight years (and the Browns actually make the playoffs a few times), do you think Thomas could eventually take over that mantel? Of all the past OTs that you've seen, who do you think Thomas compares most favorably to? -- Tim, Winter Haven, Fla.

Hey, Tim: Four seasons, four Pro Bowls and three All-Pro selections. That's a great start. Munoz is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Thomas has a ways to go to approach that level.

View full sizeMark Duncan / Associated PressT.J. Ward's big hit on Jordan Shipley may have earned plenty of attention, but it also was the high point of Ward's rookie season, says Tony.
Hey, Tony: Recently, you have gone on record as saying you're not certain Colt McCoy has the arm strength for November and December games. In regards to T.J. Ward, do you see him having the ability to be a playmaking safety that seems to be so important? I really like him, but is he just a good hitter? -- Joshua Jones, Fullerton, Calif.

Hey, Joshua: No doubt in my mind that Ward's play dropped off after his $7,500 fine for hitting Jordan Shipley. I saw many missed tackles and a few dropped interceptions. Overall, though, he had a good rookie year, leading the team in special teams tackles. He will get better, I am sure.

Hey, Tony: If A.J. Green is still on the board at No. 6, do you think we could interest New England to trade us their 17th and 28th picks so they could get that big fast deep receiver which they lack? That would allow us with picks 17, 28, and 37 to address our lines on both sides of the ball. -- Larry A. Francis, Akron

Hey, Larry: I would be wary of trading with New England. Keep all hands on your wallet. I mean, they kind of know what they're doing.

Hey, Tony: On a number of occasions, President Mike Holmgren has stated that Browns' fans deserve a winner. Do you think that he truly gets just how tortured we are as a fan base? Furthermore, do you think it's even relevant whether or not he "gets it"? I certainly do. -- Robert Shelton, Beckley, W.Va.

Hey, Robert: I do and he does.

Hey, Tony: During the week prior to the Steelers vs. Ravens playoff game, the national media unanimously declared the match-up as "the best rivalry in football." Am I the only Browns' fan that had the "that should be my team" feeling? Did you feel the same way I felt? Do you think we will ever get over the move? -- Lisa Winterbed, Tulsa, Okla.

Hey, Lisa: I have to visit Baltimore once a year as part of my job. It's one of the best road trips of the Browns' season -- except for the games, which are usually losses. I am way over the move. It's losing that we don't get over so easily.

Hey, Tony: I would like to see the Browns draft Von Miller of Texas A&M with the sixth pick and if we can in the second round get Vincent Brown of SDSU. Is this a possibility? -- Darryl Holmes, Houston, Texas

Hey, Darryl: As luck would have it, Mel Kiper Jr. recently said on a conference call that Miller projects as a 3-4 outside linebacker. The Browns don't seem to have a need for one of those anymore. Anyone in the second round is a possibility.

Hey, Tony: You mentioned five or six QBs with above-average arm strength. What is the metric for arm strength? How is an average fan supposed to be able evaluate which QBs have the arm strength to play in cold weather in Cleveland in December and January? -- Michael Fay, Bay Village

Hey, Michael: I don't mean to sound trite, but trust your eyes. Does the ball hang? Does the QB need to step into every throw to get it there on time? Do the long passes float? These are not good signs. I'm not saying arm strength is everything. Of course, Derek Anderson had a great arm and nothing else. But I'm saying a quarterback with a below-average arm is not taking a football team based in the north anywhere special.

Hey, Tony: The Drive, The Fumble, Red Right 88 and ... The Draft 2009? Seriously, how bad did Mangini butcher that draft? -- Tori Stephens, Nashville, Tenn.

Hey, Tori: I have written on this topic, of course, and the usual response is: How bad could it be if he got a Pro Bowl center (Alex Mack)? Sigh.

Hey, Tony: When will we find out for sure if Dick Jauron will be running a 4-3 or 3-4? -- Chadrick McNeal, Elida

Hey, Chadrick: Perhaps when the Browns get around to introducing their new coaches to media and fans. Most teams do that.

Hey, Tony: What do you think about Brett Favre as a QB coach or offensive coordinator? -- Phillip Gallaher, Springhill, Fla.

Hey, Phillip: I think he has a better chance of doing a commercial for a cell phone company.

Hey, Tony: Should Browns select wide receiver in the first round or look at free agency? -- Lloyd Gallaher, Delaware, Ohio

Hey, Lloyd: Free agency, trade, CFL and draft, but not in first round.

Hey, Tony: Are Frank Ryan and Dave Mays the only people ever to play in the NFL with doctorates? -- Declan Nalced, Cleveland

Hey, Declan: I'm not sure, but I do know that Dr. J was the only one in the NBA.

Hey, Tony: I have seen several rumors where the Browns' next OC is probably on one of the teams that is participating in the Super Bowl. I took a glance at the Packers' staff and noticed a pretty accomplished quarterback coach in Tom Clements. He seems to have everything that the Browns are looking for except for maybe youth (57 years old). Has his name popped up in any of your sources? If not, who are some candidates you think the Browns are considering? -- Jamie Hill, Pelham, Tenn.

Hey, Jamie: Clements would be a fine choice. As for other candidates, Mark Whipple, formerly with the Steelers, has been mentioned. I've also heard the names Juan Castillo of the Eagles and Karl Dorrell of the Dolphins. But the Browns have not asked those teams permission for interviews. Dorrell recently was promoted to Miami quarterbacks coach from receivers coach.

Hey, Tony: It is the morning of the 2009 NFL draft, and without any warning or preparation you are asked to draft players in the first four rounds. No preparation, no help, just you. Would you have drafted better? -- Jim O'Connor, Rocky River

Hey, Jim: I believe my dog Bella would have, too.

Hey, Tony: As any fan can attest, our passing game was downright awful in 2010. However, with the focus paid to Hillis, one would think that the Browns would have been more inclined to use the play-action pass, which was a rare sight. Why didn't they use it? -- Cameron Christie, Allen, Texas

Hey, Cameron: Everything about the offensive philosophy and direction in the past two seasons is somewhat of a mystery.

Hey, Tony: Even though Brad Seely was given high marks for his work with the special teams, could it be that he had too much influence with Eric Mangini, leading to such an overabundance of special team linebackers? -- Rich Markovich, Schaumburg, Ill.

Hey, Rich: It was Mangini's and Seely's philosophy to fill up the roster with special teams specialists -- tacklers, gunners, etc. I believe when you do that, you improve the special teams but you also forsake roster spots that could be devoted to offensive and defensive specialists who can make plays in the major areas of a team.

Hey, Tony: While I'm absolutely in love with taking character-issue guys with the sixth overall pick, is there such a dropoff from Green to Julio Jones of Alabama? I understand the thinking is always that it is so incredibly difficult to trade down, but when the draft rolls around you see it happen every single year (Alex Mack). Couldn't the Browns move down, gather more picks and get an explosive receiver? -- Joe Cepec, Dublin

Hey, Joe: It's a possibility.

Hey, Tony: With Coach Shurmur planning on calling the offensive plays, do you think that the Browns might consider utilizing Gil Haskell as the offensive coordinator? -- Jeff Croucher, Caldwell

Hey, Jeff: I always thought Haskell was a fallback plan, but it appears he will remain retired from coaching.

Hey, Tony: Now that Mangini is gone, please tell us what happened during the 2009 draft? And, to a lesser extent, what happened with the Kokinis situation? -- Jason Renaud, Chagrin Falls

Hey, Jason: Secret operatives are still gathering classified data on those issues.-- Tony

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2011/01/colt_mccoy_and_the_upcoming_dr.html

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Hey, Tony and Pluto

Link Copied to Clipboard