Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#566881 02/06/11 02:13 PM
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Yesterday i bought myself a b-day present.
It was Singleton single malt scotch.

What is a preferred way to drink this stuff?

straight up?
on the rocks?

go Packers

Legend
Legend
I'm not sure about how you drink scotch, but I think this is what you HAVE to say while in the act of drinking.

Actually, I think the standard is with a few cubes of ice. My buddy drinks it like that all the time.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Single malt scotch is a drink steeped in tradition. It's also a modern, sophisticated drink that is enjoyed worldwide. Unlike other whiskeys, single malts come from a single distillery that must be Scottish--otherwise it is not single malt scotch. To truly enjoy this unique drink, follow the steps below.
Difficulty: Moderately Easy
Instructions

Choose a single malt. There are many varieties to choose from, and rarely do two malt drinkers agree on which is the "best" drink. Some varieties to try are Speyside malts, which are usually a bit sweet, and Islay (pronounced "Eye-La") malts, distinguished by a salty, smoky aroma and flavor. You can go to a specialty whiskey bar, or read reviews online (see Resources below).

Select the right equipment. Single malts are best drunk out of tulip-shaped glasses, or tumblers that are narrower at the top (see Resources below). This works best because the flavors and aromas get "trapped" in the glass, awaiting your taste buds and nose.

Prepare to drink. You're not quite ready to taste the scotch yet. First, pour about a "dram" into the glass. This amount is not exact, but varies between 1 and 2 ounces. Now swirl the drink a bit and observe its consistency as it runs down the side of the glass. The swirling will also aerate the drink, exposing it to more oxygen and mellowing it out just a bit, thereby producing a better "nose" (smell). Then stick your nose into the glass and take a whiff. You can tell a lot about a single malt scotch by its smell, which can range from grassy to chocolaty.

Take a sip. Never down a single malt--they're meant to be enjoyed slowly. Take a small sip and hold the thick, often oily liquid in your mouth, sloshing it from side to side and letting it roll over your tongue. The taste buds on your tongue will pick up a variety of flavors. Again, like with the aroma, the tastes will range widely depending on the single malt, which region of Scotland it's from, what water goes into it, the method of distillation, etc. Generally, the taste will include such flavors as citrus, caramel, iodine, berries, almonds and more. After swallowing, keep your mouth closed and breathe through your nose experience what is called the "finish."

Decide if you want to add water. Many people will tell you that the only way to drink single malt is neat. But the truth is that the best way to drink single malt scotch is the way you prefer to drink it. In fact, by adding water (usually no more that 20 percent), you will be releasing more "nose" and flavor from the drink. Master distillers routinely add water to their malts during tastings. On the other hand, adding ice is not recommended, as it deadens the taste and "nose" of the drink. If you do decide to add water, make sure that it's at room temperature and that it is filtered.

Tips & Warnings

Do not use tap water to dilute your single malt scotch, as it will add a chlorinated taste to the drink.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4556758_drink-single-malt-scotch.html#ixzz1DClX1BCf]link

Last edited by TheJoker; 02/06/11 02:30 PM.

[Linked Image from i190.photobucket.com]
B
Legend
Legend
B
The same as with a nice double barreled bourbon.

A 3 finger pour, then 1 cube of ice(std cube) for every finger and a half...chills and cuts it perfectly....so in this case, over 2 cubes of ice.

Not a Scotch drinker here, but even with the good stuff, a shot of soda isn't frowned upon.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1st String
1st String
Quote:

Not a Scotch drinker here, but even with the good stuff, a shot of soda isn't frowned upon.

Indeed. A dash of water is pretty common as well.

[Linked Image from i26.tinypic.com]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I adore a good scotch. I have it around since I was introduced to it when I was in the Navy. My first scotch was a glass of Johnny Walker Blue label in Hong Kong at the Pussycat lounge. Made me a Scotch man for life.

First thing to know is it is a sipping drink. It's not whiskey in the traditional sense. You don't do shots, and you enjoy it slowly. It is a great after dinner drink with a nice cigar (if you like cigars that is, I enjoy mine with a fine Cuban cigar from time to time when I can get my hands on them.)

I do add ice to mine. One, ~maybe~ two cubes. Never more than that for me. And one thing I've learned, if you're at a bar drinking scotch, do NOT let them change your ice. Keep your same glass and ice and let them refill. A good bartender knows this already, but some of the more inexperienced ones do not.

I usually go for at least a 12 year aged scotch. They can vary in age from 6 year old to 20+. Generally, in my experience, the older the smoother and more flavor. You can get a "double wood" scotch from distillers such as Balvenie (which is awesome).

As to how to drink it, that's mostly up to you. Try a few ways and see what is your favorite. Straight up, rocks, etc. You can figure out what size glass you're comfortable with as well. 1 finger, 2, 3.

Good company is always a welcome thing when you're drinking it too. Good conversation, good cigar, and good scotch on a warm night is one of my very favorite times.

KeysDawg

The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. - Carl Sagan
I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
No matter what I am drinking I always like my drink to be straight up with nothing coming between me and my drink . As long as you enjoy it then IMO there is no wrong way to drink.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

straight up?
on the rocks?

go Packers

Pouring it down the drain where it belongs and opening up a nice can of Busch.

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
Quote:

As long as you enjoy it then IMO there is no wrong way to drink.

Agreed.
I always drink Scotch straight, usually sipping it but not always. I like it cold - I keep it in the freezer but if it's just home from the liquor store, I drop in an ice cube.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

straight up?
on the rocks?

go Packers

Pouring it down the drain where it belongs and opening up a nice can of Busch.

Blasphemy!

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I love a good single malt. Shared a pour of Oban with a Packer friend of mine after the super bowl last night to celebrate. If I was at my house I would have shared some of my mcallen 25 with him as I deem a pittsburgh sb loss wothy of breaking out my special bottle.

I always drink mine neat though I have tried with a small drop of water added.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
2 rocks to 4 oz of scotch sounds about right, at least that's how i used to drink it, mighty fine indeed.

LET'S GO BROWNS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[Linked Image]
[b]WOOF WOOF[b]
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum How to drink Scotch

Link Copied to Clipboard