Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Fortunately however, they won't look at such players after they are established in the NFL.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2011/03/cleveland_browns_wont_shy_from.html

Cleveland Browns won't shy from drafting a player with character questions -- Tony's take
Published: Tuesday, March 01, 2011, 1:39 PM Updated: Tuesday, March 01, 2011, 4:57 PM
By Tony Grossi, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Sorting through some leftovers from interviews at the NFL Scouting Combine ...
• Browns GM Tom Heckert is more apt to take a chance on a college player with questionable character than on an established NFL player. The context of this issue was whether the one-year suspension of North Carolina defensive end Robert Quinn would cause Heckert to shy from drafting him in the first round.

"It's not a deal-breaker," Heckert said. "Anybody that's had any issues in college, you've got to figure them out on a case-by-case basis. You just have to sit with them, meet with them and figure it out. I don't think anybody's going to crucify a guy for making a mistake. We're not taking them off the board just because they got suspended."

Now, what about in free agency?

"Those guys in the league that have had issues, those guys are going to be tough for us to mess around with," Heckert said.

Translation: Don't expect to see Plaxico Burress joining the Browns after his release from prison in June.

• Speed and quickness over size and strength. That's the Browns' new mantra in the scouting process in the post-Eric Mangini era.

Heckert's most telling comment probably came in his appearance in the media room on Saturday. Asked to name one or two traits he looks for in defensive linemen, Heckert said, "We want to get athletic, so at the end we're probably not going to be looking for the huge guy. We can live with a little undersized guys. I think there's a lot of those guys in this draft."

One way to interpret that comment is that Heckert believes there is great value at the defensive end position in later rounds. On two occasions in Indianapolis Heckert raised the example of Philadelphia pass rusher Trent Cole, an undersized defensive end the Eagles selected in the fifth round in 2005.

• Browns coach Pat Shurmur doesn't appear to be a huge fan of the Wildcat gimmick.
"I think there's a place for it," Shurmur said. "I think every team, when it burst on the scene with Miami, every team can say they probably dabbled in it. There's a place for it if you have the right guy to take that snap and he's a non-quarterback."

Those words alone are diplomatic enough, but Shurmur's delivery made it sound like we might see less of the Wildcat, rather than more, in his scheme. Maybe Shurmur would be a little more excited about the Wildcat when he takes a closer look at Josh Cribbs on the field.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

• Speed and quickness over size and strength. That's the Browns' new mantra in the scouting process in the post-Eric Mangini era.

So we're openly addmitting that we're going to suck against the run?

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Well I guess we won't be drafting Dareus or Jordan. *sigh*

Isn't Rubin going to look like a Mack truck among sports cars?

If your going to go after small and fast at DE we might as well wait and take Brooks Reed or Acho in the second round.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, because our quality rushing defense in 2010 is worth repeating.

2010 NFL Rushing Stats (by team)

Last edited by brownsfansince79; 03/01/11 07:33 PM.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Jauron wants power in the middle and speed on the edges. He also wants major speed at linebacker. he has a run to the ball, gang tackle mentality. it does not eliminate taking a big stud in the middle like Dareus.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree.

The ideal 4-3 line has a couple of 270+/- lb players on the edge and a couple of 310-30 lb players in the middle....make them run to the speed, and more speed.

I like gang tackling as long as the first guy there is like Joe Haden, actually trying to wrap a guys legs rather than trying to strip the ball, assuming the next guy is going to try to bring the runner down.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, because our quality rushing defense in 2010 is worth repeating.

2010 NFL Rushing Stats (by team)

Thank you for posting that

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Smaller and faster players do not equate to being bad against the run.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Correct.

What did equate to being bad against the run? What we've been using for years.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Jauron wants power in the middle and speed on the edges. He also wants major speed at linebacker. he has a run to the ball, gang tackle mentality. it does not eliminate taking a big stud in the middle like Dareus.

We sure have plenty of 'small' DE to pick from who are smaller then most 34 LBers.

Quinn 6'3 265
Smith 6'3 263
Karrigan 6'3 267
Houston 6'3 270
Reed 6'3 263
Sheard 6'3 264
Acho 6'2 262

We can draft down from 6 and still probably get everyone on that list except maybe Quinn. I think all of the above would be a reach at 6 and the only one I would take in the 1st round would be Karrigan. Acho in the 3rd.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Correct.

What did equate to being bad against the run? What we've been using for years.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

We did hire Jauron as DC. I'm just sayin'.

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Quote:

Quote:

Yup. pretty much.

We're trying to throw the ball downfield and he checked the ball down to Trent Richardson and the Indians on the choice.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quinn is not a reach a pick six.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

• Browns coach Pat Shurmur doesn't appear to be a huge fan of the Wildcat gimmick.
"I think there's a place for it," Shurmur said. "I think every team, when it burst on the scene with Miami, every team can say they probably dabbled in it. There's a place for it if you have the right guy to take that snap and he's a non-quarterback."

Those words alone are diplomatic enough, but Shurmur's delivery made it sound like we might see less of the Wildcat, rather than more, in his scheme. Maybe Shurmur would be a little more excited about the Wildcat when he takes a closer look at Josh Cribbs on the field.

This right here makes me think Grossi is a freakin idiot. WTF..

Wait til he takes a closer look at Cribbs?

Shurm NOT having had a look at Cribbs already? What? Huh??

Oy.. shoot that stupid Grossi already.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
C
Legend
Legend
C
The Wildcat is dead anyway. Shurmur probably knows that.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

Calm down....I read it as in seeing him on the field...as in practice and live and in person.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Calm down....I read it as in seeing him on the field...as in practice and live and in person.

DROP the dumb-ass Wooly-Cat already...This ain't High School football...

Go Browns!!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Yes ,people are too quick to take a quote and run 65MPH with it.Dareus and Bowers alone are more athletic then any linemen we currently have.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Wow, theres a jump to conclusions if I every heard one

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I agree 100%. It worked for a year .... until teams realized that we will never throw the ball out of the formation ..... and then it died a lingering and painful death last year.

If the offense works right, we won't need gimmicks. If we need gimmicks, then the offense isn't working right.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

If the offense works right, we won't need gimmicks. If we need gimmicks, then the offense isn't working right.

BAM!

I've been saying something similar to this for awhile.

Why do you think the Colts, Patriots, Saints, and Packers don't run the Wildcat? Not because they don't have the right players, because they have a QB in an offense that gets the yards they need without a gimmick.

Legend
Legend
Some stud werk is needed. To control run, you have to control the middle to a large degree. We did a lot of stand and reach last year leaning. We need quick and fast mobiles as well.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Ahhhh...it took until YTBF's comment to know what you were talking about...lol...I thought you were talking to me about something I said and was scratching my head, wondring if I had said something wrong...lol.

For sure we need to. I don't mind it as a package, or for that matter even as a base if someone wanted to run it and thought they had the player to do so, but not us. Not the way we ran it.

If you are going to run it, run it properly. Not just sweeps right or left or some half ass fake dropping back to run the QB draw.

You have to make it a legit, full option offense, meaning you have to hand the ball to other players and you have to pass the ball to other players.

It can't be "Well, Cribbs is in, they are running a sweep, or if he drops, watch the draw".

Yeah, that doesn't fool anybody.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I would also like to see some options now that you brought it up. As in use cribbs in the option threat ... I would love to see him even on one play run the Florida style option where Tebow made it famous by scoring all three ways against Florida State his senior year. Cribbs could keep it himself, dump it off by having a pitchman where the traditional option running back is, and then also having an upback / tightend to shovel pass forward like what Tebow could give to Hernandez .. just to make sure the other teams couldn't crash down and would have to respect all of the options.

"Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things."

@pstu24
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This wildcrap offense will never be seen again in Cleveland, unless the Dolphins visit.

Cribbs full time at receiver and kickoff returner is a must for his career. Josh will be in a system that demands he learns how to be an NFL receiver. If he cant he may not be on the team a year from now.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Im not saying that it is anything more than a gimmick, but you can't be stupid in how you run it.

You know why onside kicks (for the majority) don't work? Because when you run them, everyone knows it's coming.

You know why Hail mary's only work about once a season? Because even if you execute, the other team knows what to expect.

You know why some teams can't run the wildcat? Because even if we have all 5 linemen blocking perfectly, there are still 11 defenders running as fast as they could at cribbs. Didn't matter if we had receivers in or not, didn't matter if our running back could have set up on a throwback or a screen, and didn't matter if we ran a fumblerooskie ...

Our wildcat was just about as difficult to learn (or for a defense to understand) as a pee-wee offense. Hike it .. and run.

"Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things."

@pstu24
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Browns won't shy away from character concerns in draft

Link Copied to Clipboard