Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N

ATHENS, Ga. (AP) -- No NFL scouts watched A.J. Green's workout in person at Georgia's pro day because of a six-mile technicality.

Green, likely to be the first receiver drafted next month, went through a 30-minute session Tuesday that private coach George Whitfield had scripted.

During the NFL lockout, only draft-eligible players are allowed to participate in a pro day, and they either must live within a 40-mile radius of the workout site's metropolitan area or have played college football in-state.

PAULINE: Latest pro day news, analysis

Green's workout partner, former Montana and Oregon quarterback Justin Roper, lives six miles outside the radius. Green decided to workout with Roper anyway and let scouts watch it on television.

"That's the only quarterback I had timing with here, so my agent and I thought he was the best guy for the job," Green said. Scouts "can watch this film on TV, so it doesn't really matter."

Whitfield learned Tuesday morning that the league wouldn't let scouts watch Green when it learned that Roper's home in Buford, Ga.

As some scouts walked past Green's agent, Tom Condon, on their way to watch Green's workout on TV inside Georgia's practice complex, Condon shrugged.

"It's all because of the" collective bargaining agreement, Condon said. "Otherwise, we could've had Matthew Stafford come out here and throw."

Stafford, another Condon client, stood nearby chatting with former Georgia teammates and coaches. Two years ago, Stafford left the Bulldogs after his junior year and was drafted No. 1 overall by Detroit.

Condon is growing accustomed to new NFL rules during the lockout. Condon represents former quarterback Blaine Gabbert, who had to throw to Division II and NAIA receivers at Missouri's pro day last week.

"We were going to use NFL receivers, but (the league) said he couldn't throw to them," Condon said. "They let the Division II kids participate because they said they were eligible, but they're not eligible for (an NFL's team's) private workout, so we had to throw it to the coaches."

Green thought the session with Roper went well despite an overthrown end-zone fade route that caused him to reach out and fall over a red border rope and a large plastic trash can.

"I caught myself," Green said with a smile. "I had on some gloves so I'm all right. I didn't see the rope until the last minute. I was like, 'Man.' "

Roper threw 28 passes to Green, 28 to former Georgia receiver Kris Durham and 16 to former Bulldogs fullback Shaun Chapas.

"I don't think I had any drops," Green said. "That low one hit my foot. I think I was pretty good today."

Green skipped the other drills, most notably the 40-yard dash. He decided to let his 4.5-second time stand from the combine.

Former Georgia linebacker Justin Houston, also projected as a first-round pick, participated in every drill. Several other former Bulldogs also worked out, including offensive tackle Clint Boling and inside linebacker Akeem Dent.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/fo...l#ixzz1HR9oJtR3

#gmstrong
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
personally, I don't think it matters.

A. You shouldn't get much more from a pro-day of a top candidate other than some warm fuzzies that the tape is correct.

B. I would prefer that scouts do everything on tape anyway. It's much easier to level-set if you see everything through the same medium and scouts can't make every proday, every college game, etc. Just do everything on tape and you don't get biased towards a player you "saw"

C. It's just another funny rule with the lockout.

#gmstrong
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
and this sort of goes here too as Don Banks talked with Shurmur about getting a draft pick (and apparently heard something about Julio Jones potentially leap-froggin AJ Green)

Quote:

* Now that there's a little buzz about Alabama's Julio Jones perhaps leap-frogging Georgia's A.J. Green to be the first receiver selected, it's very possible that Green could be sitting there waiting for Cleveland at No. 6. New Browns head coach Pat Shurmur didn't sound like he would have any problem if that scenario unfolds. Finding a No. 1 receiver for second-year quarterback Colt McCoy has to rate high on the Browns' draft need list.

"We got to know him a little bit at the combine, and I think he's a fantastic kid and a great player,'' Shurmur said. "As we go forward here in the next few weeks, we'll get some more information, but I think he's an outstanding player. He's a good-looking guy.''

I asked almost every coach I talked to how many "elite'' players were in this year's first round, and Shurmur surmised that list could even extend beyond this year's top 10.

"You'd like to say it's beyond the top 10 picks, but elite for each team could [mean something] different,'' he said. "But I think at the No. 6 position we'll going to be able to draft a real fine player, an elite player. I think it's a pretty interesting place to pick. We'll have good choices there. There's a handful of guys who could be available and they're all very attractive.''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/wr...l#ixzz1HRBx6CcP

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
fwiw...

A.J. Green, Patrick Peterson are at the other end of the Wonderlic curve

Posted by Mike Florio on March 23, 2011, 6:21 PM EDT

Quarterbacks Greg McElroy and Blaine Gabbert blew the curve on the Wonderlic test at the Scouting Combine, scoring a genius-level 43 and 42, respectively.

According to Pro Football Weekly, receiver A.J. Green (pictured) and cornerback Patrick Peterson notched a 10 and a nine, respectively. Both are widely believed to be on track to be drafted in the top 10.

The score prompted an unnamed scout to tell PFW that “A.J. won’t reach his full potential” and that “t’s hard for dumb receivers.”

Green’s agent, Ben Dogra, objected to the characterization from the unnamed scout. “There’s a reason why that [unnamed source] probably will remain a scout for a long time instead of becoming a decision-maker — and you can quote me on that,” Dogra told USA Today. “It’s very hard to make a blanket statement like that. It’s one piece of the puzzle. A kid running a 4.33 in the 40 doesn’t mean he will be a Hall of Famer, either. It’s all relative.”

“I was just thinking [too long],” Green told USA Today. “Everybody has their own opinion. I know what I can do. I am going to work hard to be the best.”

Dogra and CAA also represent Gabbert, who told Rich Eisen of the coincidentally-named Rich Eisen Podcast before learning the outcome of Gabbert’s Wonderlic test that he scored a 42 on a practice test. It’s unknown whether Green took a practice test, or whether he scored higher than a 10 on it.

As NBC’s Tony Dungy told PFT Live last month, the Wonderlic score is simply another factor to consider, and that it’s not in any way conclusive as to a guy’s football intelligence.

web page

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I would be worried if those guys were quarterbacks. You have to be pretty dumb to score that low, but at their positions, I wouldn't put much stock into.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I also think it's more important for QB's than anything else. It doesn't measure pure intelligence, it measures the ability to think through common and actually very easy questions in a short period of time. Studying hours of film and practicing for weeks on end will allow a player to learn a defense or a route tree ... but when i see this I think a qb making checks, reads and audibles at the line while the clock is ticking down.

Some notables I came across ...

Seneca Wallace scored a 12
Dan Marino 14
Charlie Frye 38
Craig Krenzel 38
Donovan McNabb 12
Kordell Stewart 12
Jeff George 10
David Garrard 14
Dante Culpepper 15
Charlie Batch 13.5
Vinnie Testaverde 17
Jim Kelly 15
Terry Bradshaw 15

Got them from multiple sources, but this one seems to have all the qb's on there ..

http://www.unc.edu/~mirabile/Wonderlic.htm

"Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things."

@pstu24
Legend
Legend
Are draftees forced to take this test? I wouldn't even bother if I were considered to get drafted in the 1st..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) AJ Green Pro-Day - TV-only for Scouts

Link Copied to Clipboard