Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker

B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't see anything.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
214dawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I have no idea what you're talking about Peen

Turns out ESPN won't let you embed the video.

LIbertatem Defendimus!!

2010 Dawgtalkers NCAA Bracket Challenge Champ!!
Legend
Legend
Holy crap!

Explosive, super strong, and super fast are a devastating combination for a DT. You know .... if I could do it for a 3rd rounder, I'd trade up to #2 to grab him. (although, I'm not so sure that Carolina will be able to pass on him .... he's that good) He's going to dominate for a long time to come.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Too bad we don't stand a snowball's chance in hell of picking him.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Word around here is that Carolina is taking Cam Newton...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
I could see them taking Newton ...... but then again, I could see them seeing him as too risky and taking the safest, and possibly most impactful, player in the draft ...... Dareus.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
THe guys a freak, but remember, the QB he'll be rushing won't stand there and the guy he'll be trying to go through to get to the QB won't be 5'9" and under 200 lbs...

Seriously, the guy looks amazing..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I could see them taking Newton ...... but then again, I could see them seeing him as too risky and taking the safest, and possibly most impactful, player in the draft ...... Dareus.

But that would be the smart thing to do... If Carolina was so inclined, they should Take Dareus, do nothing to improve their QB position, suck as bad as possible and hope to win the Andrew Luck sweepstakes next year...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Plus .... they have to determine whether or not Newton is 100% the answer.

If they're 60% sure ..... or 50% sure ... are they better off taking a 50-60% sure QB, or a 90% certain star at DT.

I sometime think that teams let themselves get talked into certain players instead of doing what's best for them.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I wouldn't be surprised to see Rivera push for the best Dlineman to set up a stingy defense the way that he had in San Diego and even what he built in Chicago up until 2006 ...

That being said, as much as a great defense will help them to win the NFC South, how much more important is a franchise QB (whether or not they think Newton / Gabbert are) than a very good and potentially great DT?

"Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things."

@pstu24
Legend
Legend
That's the key question.

Are either of those guys a franchise QB? In my mind, both have questions. If they are not "100% sure things", then what percent are they? A #1 overall is vitally important that the team get right. If they allow themselves to be pushed into a specific player because that's who they are expected to take, then they have likely made a mistake.

Remember when the Texans were lambasted for not taking Reggie Bush in the draft. That's who they "needed". It "just made sense" for them to take him. The experts were sompletely beside themselves.

Instead they took Mario Williams, who has become a guy with 48 sacks in 5 years. They passed up the guy who is getting slightly over 400 yards per year on the ground.

The Texans definitely made the right call, no matter what the experts said at the time.

Look at the Raiders. They "had to" take JaMarcus Russel. It was a no brainer. 4 years later, the next 2 picks of Calvin Johnson and Joe Thomas sure look a whole lot better than the Russel pick. Johnson has over 4000 yards and 33 TDs .... and Joe Thomas is a LT anchor. The Raiders "had to" take the QB though, despite all of the questions.

There are so many questions about Newton, and whether or not he can adjust to the very complicated pro game after playing a very simple college scheme. The NFL is 90% brain for a QB. Newton has questions .... not whether he is smart enough ..... but because he's never had to run a scheme that requires him to be smart enough. I see HUGE bust potential there.

If I was building a team from the scraps, then I would realize that I need the guy with the biggest positive impact. In this draft, that's Dareus, not Newton. Newton isn't going to be ready to start from day 1. He won't be ready. The team may start him because they need to show something for their pick ... and they hope to develop him on the field .... but he really won't be ready to run a pro offense, with multiple reads, from day 1. He's never done it before. It would be like asking a guy to come in and run an offense in French despite not knowing a single word other than "merci". That's really dangerous ..... and is the biggest reason that QBs have busted in the past.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

That being said, as much as a great defense will help them to win the NFC South, how much more important is a franchise QB (whether or not they think Newton / Gabbert are) than a very good and potentially great DT?

I believe they are going to need a serious upgrade at the QB position before they can contend for the AFC south. I don't believe Clauson is the answer.... that being said, they are NOT going to contend this year so do they need the QB this year in a rather poor QB class? I would say no, but that doesn't mean that new coaches and GM's don't get all gaga over a QB with mad physical skills like Newton...

yebat' Putin
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Quote:

THe guys a freak, but remember, the QB he'll be rushing won't stand there and the guy he'll be trying to go through to get to the QB won't be 5'9" and under 200 lbs...

Seriously, the guy looks amazing..

Amazing yea buy can we afford him
2 head slaps on lineman $15K fine
Lead w/ helmet 15K fine & 15yd penalty poor little qb
25K fine for lifting poor little qb off the ground 15yd penalty & ejected
50k fine & 3 game supension for piling on poor little qb w/ all his weight
And I don't even want to know what it'll be if he threw qb 12 FEET
it's Friday just havin' fun....to bad we won't get him

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Holy crap!

Explosive, super strong, and super fast are a devastating combination for a DT. You know .... if I could do it for a 3rd rounder, I'd trade up to #2 to grab him. (although, I'm not so sure that Carolina will be able to pass on him .... he's that good) He's going to dominate for a long time to come.

No doubt he is a 12 year starter.

Tough not a real pass rusher....he can and is a super player on the line.

He'll demand many double teams which will make some backer or DE look a lot better then they really are.

Teams understand, before you worry about the guy who can sack your QB, you worry about the guy who can hurt your QB.

Dareus can hurt a QB.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Marcell Dareus Sports Science

Link Copied to Clipboard