Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
I have to conclude that Doug Dieken and Tony Grossi are idiots! Jim Donovan isn't any smarter.

Legend
Legend
very informative post.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Tony Grossi just bothers me. I canceled the Plain Dealer and when they asked why I told them I didn't think much of their sports writers. He is even more annoying on TV..but I watched too.

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
A
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Well, when Dieken has neither Peterson or Von Miller taken in the first 5, you gotta question him.

Then, Grossi has Peterson still on the board but as us taking A.J. Green. I don't have that much of an issue with that but he commented that you just don't take two shutdown corners in back to back years and he says, "Teams will just run the ball." Well, no ..., Sherlock! You want to take away the opposing teams ability to pass the ball.

If you get the lead and take away the opposing teams ability to pass the ball, you handcuff them. You can concentrate your DL and LB on stopping the run. If they try to pass the ball, they're likely to not find much success and could very possibly turn the ball over.

They both said our teams greatest needs were DL. I don't think so. Of course, both said that CB is also a need but that if Peterson is there, you don't take him. Grossi said you could get a back-up later in the draft. As if you couldn't get DL later in the draft.

The one DL we have, Rubin, was a 6th round selection and most think he's more than capable of doing the job.

Legend
Legend
thx for explaining that.. lol..

yea.. Peterson is IMO the best player in the draft... you can't pass on him..

I don't understand where all this Von Miller talk has come from lately either. I don't think you draft a LB that high at 6.

A
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
I just couldn't stand it. I was bothered by the unflattering stupidity they've shown. Of course, when callers asked about Peterson, they all seemed to me to have a condescending attitude.

When Grossi said that some folks have AJ Green as the #1 overall, my first thought was "What? Who thinks that?"

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Quote:

When Grossi said that some folks have AJ Green as the #1 overall, my first thought was "What? Who thinks that?"

Hmm ... I would like to see Grossi's big board ...

"Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things."

@pstu24
A
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I don't understand where all this Von Miller talk has come from lately either. I don't think you draft a LB that high at 6.

I don't really understand it all that much either but I think most of it develops around his speed (4.42 in the 40) and production in college (28 sacks the last two years), He's good and you could take him that high if you really want him. He could fit in as a smallish, fast DE on the outside too.

He's certainly worth a look in the Top 5, but not by the Browns.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
In fairness, earlier this year I was talking to Reggie Langhorne at the Winking Lizard in Columbus, and he told me that AJ was the guy he wanted the Browns to get.

His opinion was that the Browns need a HR hitter.

SaintDawgâ„¢

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
A
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Hmm ... I would like to see Grossi's big board ...

I saw his Top 5 and I thought to myself that the man is a tool.

All these idiots have Cam Newton as the #1 selection. I'm looking at that and thinking that these people need to put down the peace pipe and the wacky tobacky.

A
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

In fairness, earlier this year I was talking to Reggie Langhorne at the Winking Lizard in Columbus, and he told me that AJ was the guy he wanted the Browns to get.

How long ago? Find out if he still thinks so.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I like Green because he can actually gain separation and he does it consistently. This kid is a game changer with football skill.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Grossi is an idiot if he thinks you should draft solely on need. I've been watching these drafts for 25 years, and that's where teams get in trouble. Unless you have a franchise player at a certain position, you take the best player available, especially in the top 5 or 6. If peterson is there you take him. If he turns out to be a great player, that's one less position you have to worry about. If you draft best player available over time, your team will be better off.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

How long ago? Find out if he still thinks so.

November 21st. Saints game. I'd have to have our club Prez give him a call to find out.. lol

SaintDawgâ„¢

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
A
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
I like him too but I don't like him more than Peterson or even Amukamara. I think both Green and Jones are very good receivers but we're going to the WCO not a vertical passing game.

Legend
Legend
This needs to be the board:

1. Patrick Peterson
2. A.J. Green
3. Robert Quinn
4. Julio Jones

A
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Trella - I somewhat agree and somewhat disagree with your statement.

I don't mind drafting for the best player available at a position of need if that person is a must have type of player, even if they aren't the BPA.

For example, if we are able to get Peterson at #6 this year and the best player in next year's draft turns out to be a CB and your on the clock, do you ask the Browns to take that CB? I don't think so. I think you might take a can't miss receiver even if the higher ranked player is the corner.

Now, with that said, I do think that getting two shutdown corners on your team is a definite must if you have the opportunity.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Although I don't expect him to be there, Dareus would be at

Green
Dareus
Peterson
Jones
Quinn
Miller

Is not a bad targeted list. You can contemplate all you want about the benefit of one over the other, WR and DL are the greatest needs where available talent will be preferred.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Green is one of the best college route runners i have seen. Its not the deep ball nor those fantastic catches that really makes him special in my eyes. This kid runs crossing routes without fear. He runs Jerry Rice quality curl routes with that ability to sell the deep fear. I see a special rare talent.

A
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Oh, I'm not disagreeing with any of that. I'm just not sold that he'll make as much of a difference as Peterson would.

I know you need offense to win games, but even with Haden and Ward back there, we gave up more passing TDs (26) than rushing TDs (7). I know we're moving to a different scheme but we need more back there in the defensive secondary. What we have complimenting Haden and Ward isn't enough.

Statistical source: Pro Football Reference

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Green is one of the best college route runners i have seen. Its not the deep ball nor those fantastic catches that really makes him special in my eyes. This kid runs crossing routes without fear. He runs Jerry Rice quality curl routes with that ability to sell the deep fear. I see a special rare talent.

I cannot phathom BOTH Peterson and Green being there at 6...But I firmly believe ONE will be...

Whoever it is HAS to be a Brown...

Then comes this damn Fairley thing...lol...

All I gotta say is Fairley better be #3 behind PP and Greeny...

And WTH is this I'm seeing from Pete King about IF this particular player is there at 12...We give Minny 37 and our 2012 1st rounder to come back up???

Mour...How's Green or Peterson AND Fairley sound???...lmao...

Go Browns!!!
P
All Pro
All Pro
P
Quote:

Quote:

I cannot phathom BOTH Peterson and Green being there at 6...But I firmly believe ONE will be...

Whoever it is HAS to be a Brown...

Then comes this damn Fairley thing...lol...

All I gotta say is Fairley better be #3 behind PP and Greeny...

And WTH is this I'm seeing from Pete King about IF this particular player is there at 12...We give Minny 37 and our 2012 1st rounder to come back up???

Mour...How's Green or Peterson AND Fairley sound???...lmao...

I'm not sold on Fairley.... I would much rather trade down a couple spots and grab Jones or Prince A.

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Just finished watching Browns Red Zone on STO

Link Copied to Clipboard