Next Thread
Print Thread
#600617 06/23/11 01:24 PM
N
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
N
FA coming up, I hope to add at least 2-3 contributors.

RT is probably first, signing Yates for guard so Womack can backup Pashos is a step, but IMO we need help here. Colt has to have some time. Maybe Pinkston can play tackle, but seems like a long shot.

RB would be nice, as I really hate to count on Hardesty. Then again, his recent history is being injured every Other year. Hillis has to have some help, maybe Marecic can fill the bill. Again, a long shot. Two of them.

Vet WR - I am torn here. We need help but our young guys need PT to develop. This is a building year, if we get a vet it need to be somebody with 2-3 or more good years left. Little, Mitchel at #1, MoMass at #2 all long shots. Little maybe not that long.

Defense - Anybody, anywhere on the front 7, Plus some linebackers. After Fujita, Gocong is only so-so and I got no confidence in DQ anymore. Maybe a safety and a cornerback. Francies is my pick for long-shot at Safety. Sanford on the line.

If I had to pick two and only 2 it would be a RT and either a DE or a linebacker, ANY good 4-3 linebacker.

Nelson37 #600618 06/23/11 02:23 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
the Browns do not need Favre (reference to title)

#gmstrong
Nelson37 #600619 06/23/11 03:08 PM
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Personally? I think we need to bring in vets everywhere.

Two reasons. First ... (assuming that we have holes in a few spots like fullback,safety, d-line, etc.) ... I hate to think that a player "inherits" a position just because it's a hole. Obviously it's a little different if Phil taylor is starting in a hole versus Eric Hagg ... but I remember how Wright and McDonald weren't ever really "pushed" and never had to earn the time as much as they inherited it.

Second... if we only bring in mid round Vets for the always needed "camp fodder" and they BEAT OUT a player we have on our roster ... then it's scary but it's still an upgrade. I don't think it can last forever, but Pete Carroll took a pretty talent bare Seattle team last year and was able to continue upgrading positions by having players compete. He might not have gotten the team a whole lot more talented but I believe he had guys on the back end of the roster working pretty darn hard and bringing the energy that was needed.

If we can continue adding solid backend players and rotational players when this FA stuff is ready to kick off and also make our current young players compete for spots ... we might only be a draft away from being a VERY good football team.

Haden, Ward, McCoy, Lauvao, Brown, Hillis, Gocong, Fujita, Watson, Wallce, with potential of Haggerty, Mitchell (Jayme) and Mitchell (Carlton), and Hardesty ...I argue that we have 10 solid players there (either starters or quality backups) ... with potential from 4 more. Add in the handful of talent that we already have (maybe a dozen to fifteen quality players) ... and if we end up closing out this draft and free agency the right way ... we have the majority of our roster set to push for a post season.

Wishful thinking?

"Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things."

@pstu24
PStu24 #600620 06/23/11 04:31 PM
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
How do you list 10 a-list players and have Lauvao in there but not
Thomas
Steinbach
Mack
Vickers (altough he may be gone)
Rubin
DQ
Wright

Did I miss something this year when Lauvao actually DID something?

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I listed the guys that were brought in by the Heckert - Holmgren regime and not the ones we currently have on the roster...

Just trying to argue that if they already brought in 10 to 14 starters and contributors in one year ... if they close out free agency right and we end up with another 10 contributors and starters by this fall ... then we have the core of our team in place.

Last edited by PStu24; 06/23/11 04:39 PM.

@pstu24
Nelson37 #600622 06/23/11 04:50 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I believe that is realistic. I don't look for us to add any studs. An above average RT would be great as would a LB/DE. While I have many "concerns" going into next year my biggest FEAR is that we are still going to have trouble getting to the QB...

yebat' Putin
PStu24 #600623 06/23/11 05:26 PM
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Aaaaah gotcha. And for the record, I would more or less agree.

I think the team looks alot better than most people are giving us credit for. The only glaring gaps I see is at RG, a dependable WR and a pass rushing end.

Possibly a pass rushing tackle too....although I have this weird feeling that Schaefering will bring his overachieving self to the 4-3 and it will fit him much better.

Legend
Legend
Glaring Gaps as Starters:
RT
S
CB (Wright is almost certainly a goner)
DE
RG

Urgent Need for Depth:
DT
DE
RB
CB
OLB
swing OT
WR

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Possibly a pass rushing tackle too....although I have this weird feeling that Schaefering will bring his overachieving self to the 4-3 and it will fit him much better.

I have the same thought and if Taylor develops quickly then we might be set at DT.

Priority #1 for us should be to look for a quality starting DE imo.

Priority #2 for us will/should be LB.
Either starters or depth. We could use either here I think.

Priority #3 for us should be DB, both Safety and CB. Eric Wright was tendered with a 2nd round tender IIRC.
Even though he is a 4 year player and it might be a moot point. I'm not sure he will be receiving better offers else where, but we could lose him to FA and that would create a hole at CB, albeit at backup CB and not unlike our situation at safety we could be left hoping our rookies can step right in and provide depth and possible even forced to start in the case of a Safety opposite TJ.
Hopefully we can keep EW in the fold and hope that he can return to form, but we really do have a vacancy at Safety.

Priority #4 for us should be adding some depth on the right side of our OL and or possibly an upgrade with a starting RT.

Priority #5 for us should be the WR position.

The top 4 slots are a lock for Little Cribbs, MoMass and Robo, but the 5th spot and perhaps the final spot on the roster is still up for grabs and we already have some contestants for that spot, so even though there are some pretty big name FA WR this year I can't foresee us doing much here even if I wish that we would.

[Linked Image]

PStu24 #600626 06/23/11 06:48 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

with potential of Haggerty, Mitchell (Jayme) and Mitchell (Carlton), and Hardesty ...I argue that we have 10 solid players there (either starters or quality backups) ... with potential from 4 more. Add in the handful of talent that we already have (maybe a dozen to fifteen quality players) ... and if we end up closing out this draft and free agency the right way ... we have the majority of our roster set to push for a post season.

Wishful thinking?

Yes, in at least one way.

People really really really need to stop mentioning the name of Hardesty. He was a waste in college due to injury and was soon out for the season once he came to us via a DUMB draft pick. Until this kid has 100 or more regular season carries under his belt to evalutate he is a NON ENTITY.

He is NOT a solid starter or backup, he has done NOTHING to display he is of any value to this squad.

shepdawg #600627 06/23/11 07:08 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
Well, he only mentioned Hardesty's potential, but I get your point. He's proven nothing, done nothing and I worry about his health. I rarely think of him when I am thinking of our Browns, because I am not counting on him.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
shepdawg #600628 06/23/11 08:59 PM
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Right ... but all 4 of those guys I mentioned have potential. I guess I should have been more clear. If we get the previous 10 or so that I mentioned and only 1 or 2 of those 4 pan out... that's still solid turnover.

As it is, I like Carlton Mitchell's upside ... but what does he have .. an end around?
Jayme Mitchell is the best pass rusher on our team ... how many games did he play?
Jon Haggerty is a sleeper to make the active roster coming out of camp ... then got hurt and didn't see the regular season.
Hardesty was penciled in by some as the starter ... but he hasn't hit the regular season either.

The chances of 1 or 2 of those 4 making it is a lot better than all 4 making it.

@pstu24
lampdogg #600629 06/23/11 09:45 PM
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Well, he only mentioned Hardesty's potential, but I get your point. He's proven nothing, done nothing and I worry about his health. I rarely think of him when I am thinking of our Browns, because I am not counting on him.

I know it's not the right attitude, but I see him the same way I do Travis Hafner, he's good, but you just hold your breath because you know he will just get hurt again.

Hardesty is an animal. Anyone can see that. If you saw a reel of his best runs at Tennessee and had no idea about his injury history, you'd say that guy was a top 3 pick in most drafts.

I understand the pick, but I think it's possible that the guy never amounts to anything for us. It's not his fault either, obviously, it's a brutal game.

But man, if I am completely wrong, you have to be foaming at the mouth at the possibility of watching him and #40 in the backfield for the browns, hot damn.

lampdogg #600630 06/24/11 12:57 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Many here seem to be counting him out of the mix already, but we have done nothing in the way of insurance in the event you folks are correct.

Is it neglagence or a vote of confidence from the front office?

I guess will have to wait a little longer to know the answer for sure.

[Linked Image]

FL_Dawg #600631 06/24/11 04:59 AM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Even with Hillis on the team, they need to treat Hardesty as a starter.

They both are starters,
Every time MH touches the ball, he has to be the starter, and I think he needs to get into a rhythm.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think he needs to get on the field. Against the better teams in the NCAA he didn't run that well when he WAS on the field. I hope I'm dead wrong, but I hated this pick from the very second they announced it.

Now he has to return from a torn ACL with nary a carry in a real game situation.

Not holding my breath.....this is a definite area of need and has been since our return.

As for the rest of the thread and areas of need, those are glaringly obvious. Just in wait-and-see mode to see what the FA parameters are when they return to business.

shepdawg #600633 06/24/11 05:55 AM
Legend
Legend
I really think the RB position is addressed, and I'm hoping they bring in Chad Spann of NIU.. He is a blend of Marion Barber and Maurice Jones Drew IMO...

VERY BEASTLY!!

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Nelson37 #600634 06/24/11 07:08 PM
A
All Pro
All Pro
A
Quote:

RT is probably first, signing Yates for guard so Womack can backup Pashos is a step, but IMO we need help here. Colt has to have some time. Maybe Pinkston can play tackle, but seems like a long shot.

RB would be nice, as I really hate to count on Hardesty. Then again, his recent history is being injured every Other year. Hillis has to have some help, maybe Marecic can fill the bill. Again, a long shot. Two of them.

Vet WR - I am torn here. We need help but our young guys need PT to develop. This is a building year, if we get a vet it need to be somebody with 2-3 or more good years left. Little, Mitchel at #1, MoMass at #2 all long shots. Little maybe not that long.

Defense - Anybody, anywhere on the front 7, Plus some linebackers. After Fujita, Gocong is only so-so and I got no confidence in DQ anymore. Maybe a safety and a cornerback. Francies is my pick for long-shot at Safety. Sanford on the line.

If I had to pick two and only 2 it would be a RT and either a DE or a linebacker, ANY good 4-3 linebacker.

1) we need to quit deceiving ourselves that we are in better shape at RT than BEFORE St. Clair was cut. Pashos cannot stay on the field and when he does his agility resembles the sainted one.
2) WE need a safety yet maybe Sheldon Brown can make the move and his body can hold for a year. we still need a safety.
3) we need a RB, again we are whistling past the Graveyard depending on the oft injured monterrio Hardesty.
4) we need an OLB/DE as we are desperately thin on Dline. also depending on oft injured DQ makes us thin at OLB as well.
5) we still need a veteran wr to help teach the kids. I am suspect that Robiskie and MoMass are NFL quality starters as they could not beat ANYBODY and always drew single coverage as teams stacked to stop Hillis.
6) we need to monitor Eric Wright to see if his meltdown is jake delhomme bad where he cannot recover mentally. after the first ravens game, the guy lost it yet I hope not permanantly as he was showing to be a fine cb.

Last edited by akronjoe; 06/24/11 07:11 PM.
akronjoe #600635 06/25/11 08:29 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
1) we need to quit deceiving ourselves that we are in better shape at RT than BEFORE St. Clair was cut. Pashos cannot stay on the field and when he does his agility resembles the sainted one.

We are better at RT by releasing St. Claire. The guy was always drawing flags and still getting beat. Hopefully we pickup a Doug Free or maybe a Matt Light and move them over to RT.

2) WE need a safety yet maybe Sheldon Brown can make the move and his body can hold for a year. we still need a safety.

I would like to see Sheldon as our Nickel DB and add a Whitner, Huff or Weddle. Whitner with his experience in Jauron's D is a major plus.

3) we need a RB, again we are whistling past the Graveyard depending on the oft injured monterrio Hardesty.

You can't depend on Hardesty and Bell sucks. Derek Locke would be a great pickup as an undrafted. Westbrook might be good insurance as well.

4) we need an OLB/DE as we are desperately thin on Dline. also depending on oft injured DQ makes us thin at OLB as well.

We have 3 locks on the DL and 1 big ???? we also have no depth whatsoever. Hopefully Benard can slide into the DE spot but I expect us to go after Babin, Edwards or Kiwi. Babin would be a really good fit.

LB we have DQ, Maiva and Fujita all recovering from injury. Pozluzny has experience in Jauron's scheme and would be an upgrade over Gocong who I still expect to see traded.

5) we still need a veteran wr to help teach the kids. I am suspect that Robiskie and MoMass are NFL quality starters as they could not beat ANYBODY and always drew single coverage as teams stacked to stop Hillis.

I doubt we bring in any help at receiver. We ran a vertical offense with a group of players that can not separate vertically. Cribbs and Robiskie should excell in this scheme and Mo could be the best of the bunch if he learns to fight for the ball. he pulls that stuff this year they will release him mid season.

Hillis 1000 yards rushing, 1000 yards receiving will really open up things for everyone else.

6) we need to monitor Eric Wright to see if his meltdown is jake delhomme bad where he cannot recover mentally. after the first ravens game, the guy lost it yet I hope not permanantly as he was showing to be a fine cb.

We lose Wright and wow, we have a major hole to fill and really there isn't a lot of help available in free agency. Teams should get a few days to resign their guys before free agency begins. Wright should be our #1 priority during that time.

Mourgrym #600636 06/25/11 10:07 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Does anyone else think a change-of-pace/3rd down RB might already be on the roster ... Josh Cribbs? I think he could be a natural, since he is a strong and elusive runner, with good size, that can catch the ball.

Dave #600637 06/25/11 10:43 AM
Legend
Legend
No chance.

Cribbs is a returner, and he had, by far, his worst year ever returning kickoffs. He had one of his worst years ever returning punts. He set a career high for fumbles.

He needs to get back to what he does best ...... setting up excellent field position, and being used in an occasional special package. He's spent 3 or 4 years trying to learn how to play WR, and is still a work in progress. If we then try to throw him in as a 3rd down RB ..... Ugh.

Let the kid be what he is ..... an exceptionally talented returner. Find someone else for the other stuff.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Mourgrym #600638 06/25/11 12:21 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
I'm scared for you.

Mourgrym #600639 06/25/11 03:21 PM
Legend
Legend
Mourg and Joe overall are right. No need to be scared for them, be scared for the Browns.

sadly, I really think EW is good as gone.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I agree with you unfortunately ... he's a guy with skills to say the least. I don't think he was as good as he was getting hyped... but I think he definitely held his own (up until last year) especially for a team without a lot of surrounding talent or a pass rush.

BUT ... I believe he could step into almost any team with a solid front and he can help make them look really good. Maybe he's one of the one's that follows Ryan to Dallas? I know they just drafted Mike Jenkins and they do have Terrence Newman ... but Newman is set to make $8 mil this year. Wright could be a younger option, familiar with Ryan's defense ... and my guess is a lot cheaper as well?

@pstu24
PStu24 #600641 06/25/11 05:19 PM
Legend
Legend
My guess is he goes back to his hometown Bay Area, either San Fran or Oakland. With Nnamdi leaving, both teams could use help at corner.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
my guess is that he stays

shepdawg #600643 06/26/11 04:25 AM
T
Legend
Legend
T
How do you think Hardesty will compare with (pp) James Jackson when it is all said and done.

JJ was a third round pick, in my opinion he was never adequate, but he did provide at least determination though his lack of talent appeared to always hold the team back. I definetly think W Green, was more talented than JJ, but he didn't get the 3 years that I think JJ got. We did see one season where JJ was the main option, where he received the bulk of the carries,
I think Hardesty can be a bit like JJ only bigger and with more evasiveness, I think it looks like, at least I hope Hardesty is quicker to hit the hole and quicker after the hole.

I think Hardesty has at least "Ben Gay" potential, and I think alot more potential. If only this team could learn to line up narrow and rush somebody outside around the corner with speed maybe this is the guy to do it.

If this team could learn to vary the gaps in the o-line and line up narrow sometimes and wider others like every other team in the NFL, then maybe they'd have something.

I'm excited to see Hardesty, I loved the pick and hope he does big things this year.
Do you think he's worse than JJ? less than, better than or equal to?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No way to judge him until he gets on the field.

shepdawg #600645 06/26/11 12:51 PM
A
All Pro
All Pro
A
Quote:

No way to judge him until he gets on the field.

Amen to that. Hillis needs help yet until hardesty PROVES he can stay healthy he is an option that is hard to DEPEND on.

shepdawg #600646 06/29/11 03:06 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Yes you can. You judge him on his history (long-term and recent) of injuries.

I was all for the pick, it was a high risk/reward type of pick due to the injuries. His career isn't done yet, but it's looking like he might not pan out. We should be able to see this year.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I don't know ... I want to say that first and foremost I am NOT going on the record as sticking up for the guy ... I don't know what he can or can't do. I have hopes that he will turn out well, but I'm not counting on him either...

I just don't get why people say that because he had a few injuries he won't ever be able to play ...

He had a knee injury with an acl as a true freshmen - yes - a true freshmen playing in the SEC. that was 6 years ago ...

He played in 13 games his senior year, 10 of 12 his junior year, and 10 of 14 his sophomore year ... 33 of 39 in 3 years isn't what I would call "injury prone"

Oh .. and he also polayed in 13 of 13 his RS freshmen year ... so it's actually 46 of 52 games in 4 years ... with a few ankle injuries here and there.

People talk about his major knee issues but unless I'm mistaken he had a torn ACL in 2005 ... then a few scopes to clean out minor problems.

Then he gets hurt in camp.

Once again - do I think he will ever amount to anything? Im not counting on it. But I'm not counting on it because he's a rookie that hasn't played yet. I'm also not pinning my hopes on Sheard, Little, or even Taylor yet.

But missing 6 games in 4 years (it's amazing to go the full season the year after the ACL injury in my opinion) ... Hillis missed 6 games in college and only played in 43 of 49 games ...

@pstu24
PStu24 #600648 06/29/11 04:36 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
I hear you, and the flip side is I'm really not trying to bash the guy. I would love to have him bounce back and be a contributor because he's the kind of back we really need to complement Hillis.

I guess I just don't see how he can have an injury history (and I do understand that his injury history isn't as bad as it sounds), and then be injured for most of training camp, come back for a few snaps in a preseason game and get hurt for the whole season and not think he's brittle. Lots of people were calling him Hurtesty and all that, but last season he lived up to that name.

::shrugs:: I hope he bounces back.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
And I guess that's where I am as well ...

I just remember when he first got injured and I looked up the information.

Off the top of my head I want to say he has had 1 acl injury in both legs. He also has a few ankle surgeries and another knee surgery that were for cartilage.

He could definitely be a guy that never sees the field ... but he could also be of the Winslow-esque variety who still plays pretty darn well even though he's always (seemingly) banged up ... and I just don't want to throw the book out on the guy when since our management made the decision to take a chance on him he has been hurt one time. Didn't Jerome Harrison sit out most of training camp the last few years as well? (maybe a bad example lol)

@pstu24
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Team Needs #4

Link Copied to Clipboard