Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Another question regarding software and such for those who are smarter than I.

As you know, I am now a Real estate agent in the Keys, and I need to get a website up and running. Initially, it doesn't need to be too fancy, but I will need to be able to add to it as I go.

A few things that are mandatory though....

1. I will need to be able to integrate our MLS IDX to it so folks can search my properties. The IDX will take care of the logs of who searches and what they are searching for.

2. Will need a contact page or webform that isn't going to flood my inbox with spambots.

3. Would like to be able to post information that is helpful for prospective buyers and sellers like articles (with proper credit of course).

So my question is this, am I better off getting some software and doing it myself? (and if so, what software do you recommend?) Or should I sub it out to a designer? I'm sure there are a ton of hosts out there, are there any that you have found to be better than others? Why?

Thanks in advance for the help.

KeysDawg

The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. - Carl Sagan
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
1. I think you will need a pro to design this.

2. Get a second e-mail address. Putting any e-mail online will result in a LOT of mail, and not much you can do about it.

3. GET THE CODE. If you pay for a webpage, the code that creates it BELONGS TO YOU. Do NOT repeat NOT pay any cash without receiving that code.

4. If the DNS registration and hosting is not done by you, GET THE PASSWORDS. See #3. Both passwords, there will be one for the registration and one for updating on the host. Test them on your PC, verify that they work BEFORE PAYING FOR ANYTHING. Immediately change the DNS password, and make sure you do not loose it.

The host password gives authority to change items on the webpage. The DNS password gives authority to move the site to another host, or to setup web page and e-mail with different hosts.

5. Pick an available software, such as Dreamweaver or whatever, make sure the site is created in a software you can own, practice with the software, and then you can make any simple updates by yourself.

As for a host, there are many. Just choose one with no banner ads, the really cheap ones will have banner ads. As long as you have the code, and the DNS registration password, changing to another host is a simple process. Without those, you have to re-create everything, plus you loose your domain name.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Very good advice from Nelson. I consult for a living ( not web stuff or I'd offer to help out ) and getting the code is a must. I'm working on a project now where the original developer will not give the custom code to the owner of the business. Long story, but basicaly there was no contract - the best thing you can do is sign one so the expectations are set for both parties. I usually will have a clause that both the company that I am doing work for and my company have rights to the code. If I don't get rights too I charge more if they want it to be soley owned and not reused by me. There are many instances where that is the case.

#gmstrong
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
I'm doing a web start up now. It cost about $2,400 for the custom web design, and another $1,000 for a plug in FedEx module. Prices are all over the map, but I think you get what you pay for.

Thomas - The Tank Engine
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Another question regarding software and such for those who are smarter than I.

As you know, I am now a Real estate agent in the Keys, and I need to get a website up and running. Initially, it doesn't need to be too fancy, but I will need to be able to add to it as I go.

A few things that are mandatory though....

1. I will need to be able to integrate our MLS IDX to it so folks can search my properties. The IDX will take care of the logs of who searches and what they are searching for.

2. Will need a contact page or webform that isn't going to flood my inbox with spambots.

3. Would like to be able to post information that is helpful for prospective buyers and sellers like articles (with proper credit of course).

So my question is this, am I better off getting some software and doing it myself? (and if so, what software do you recommend?) Or should I sub it out to a designer? I'm sure there are a ton of hosts out there, are there any that you have found to be better than others? Why?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I'm an internet marketing consultant- I market websites for a living. I don't design them.

the biggest mistake people make is trying to do it themselves. I see too many mistakes with seo web design etc.

Secondly, don't settle for a web designer get an internet marketing web company.

Designers make em look pretty but the whole point of your website is to make your potential client call you.

Testimonials, Contact information, success stories, mobile capability & everyhting else you talked abouit are most important.

also- check out my site this will give you tons of great info:

www.internetmarketingcleveland.com

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Awesome replies guys! Thanks! I appreciate all the info and PM's. Great info all around, I'm already smarter than I was this morning just reading the links and such I have gotten.

Keep 'em coming. It's a whole new world for me now that I'm on my own.

KeysDawg

The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. - Carl Sagan
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
As far as webhosts go, Ive been using dreamhost for years, and its pretty cost effective. Their uptime is really good as well. I've seen people use bluehost as well. You can easily get ridiculously expensive with this stuff. I just have a shared hosting account and that will be fine for your business unless your expecting 6 figure page hits a day, then you may need a dedicated box.

Dreamhost or bluehost may be for the more technically inclined, but if you get the webhost sorted you can inform the contracter what tech restraints he has to work with as far as database, web layout processing etc.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
The easiest would be to use a Wordpress theme. There are several well designed real estate themes available. Then find a php coder to integrate your data. This would keep your cost down and be just as effective as a custom site. Maybe even better...

I'm not familiar with your data system, but this is part of what I do for a living.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
I somehow missed this thread.

Anyway ....my Realtor (the one I used to buy my current home) has a nice, effective site. She has tips, a searchable MLS, reports, rate and mortgage calculator, and so on.

When I started my home search, she set me up with a service that would send me new listings (via email) that matched my criteria. That was pretty nice. It's nothing that the customer can't do ..... but there's something kind of exciting about getting home from work and seeing an email with new listings. (and potentially, your new home)

Anyway, I thought that her site was simple, but really well put together. If you want a link, PM me and I'll give it to you. (I'm not sure if PPE wants me advertising for my Realtor. LOL)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Nelson, that was merely outstanding advice. Keeping it for a website that I am considering. It is appreciated by me very much; am I to assume that this is advice "born" of bad experiences? Does any of this concern identity securty of owner an / or the visitors?

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
F
Legend
Legend
F
Agree with what most everyone here has said. I have done web pages, but I'm not good at designing them. I can make the pages, I just can't really come up with the creative side of the design.

That being said, I have done a realty site for a friend, and let me tell you it's not something for a beginner or even an amateur. His site wasn't so much for drawing up new business but as a reference for his customers, so it' wasn't as complex as many Realtor websites.

Contract a professional to do this for you, but check their references, particularly get references from other Realtor's you may know and check how their sites are. I've browsed many Realtor websites only to get frustrated and move on to another.

Also if I may add, while MLS is a nice connection, be sure to include a section of YOUR listings that contain better photos and information than the MLS. I have read many MLS entries recently while looking for another rental and have seen some really poorly described and specifications on the site.

I think you also need to consider the clientele of your market. I would assume you would deal with a lot of out-of-towners who can look at pictures and read descriptions all day, but it doesn't help them visualize the location, so I would consider the option of short video footage of the property looking out. Can't tell you how many nice house photo's I've looked at only to go to the address and find Hillbilly Jim's junkyard next door.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Website design questions....

Link Copied to Clipboard