Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
CDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82...ounder-lb-curry

The Seattle Seahawks are open to trading linebacker Aaron Curry, a league source said Thursday.

Curry was taken fourth overall in 2009 and was seen as one of the safer players in that draft, but he has struggled to make an impact in Seattle. Curry was drafted by a prior regime, and lost his starting job before Week 3.

The Seahawks have not yet begun to shop him ahead of the trade deadline but are not averse to it, and would listen to offers, according to the source. Curry restructured his contract in the offseason, which could help facilitate a trade.

Despite his minimal production in Seattle, Curry's athleticism and potential would certainly attract suitors. He could end up being one of the bigger names dealt before the deadline in a few weeks.

[Linked Image from i45.tinypic.com]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I was reading some comments about him on another board and some of the things said were that he is terrible in coverage and can't get off blocks.

Apparently he has such a hard time getting off blocks that when the Seahawks played the Steelers Emmanuel Sanders of the Steelers basically owned him the entire game. Emmanuel Sanders weighs 180lbs and Curry weighs 255, that is definately not a ringing endorsement.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
I remember how badly I wanted him in Orange and Brown back in 09.

Would he be worth a 4th round pick? Can't see Heckert trading for anybody during this years deadline, though.

S
All Pro
All Pro
S
Quote:

I was reading some comments about him on another board and some of the things said were that he is terrible in coverage and can't get off blocks.

Apparently he has such a hard time getting off blocks that when the Seahawks played the Steelers Emmanuel Sanders of the Steelers basically owned him the entire game. Emmanuel Sanders weighs 180lbs and Curry weighs 255, that is definately not a ringing endorsement.

Curry might very well do better in a defense that allows him to better utilize his athletic ability; because as of right now, Seattle's defense isn't a good fit for him at all. That hybrid 4-3 that Seattle runs is how should I put this nicely..unique? It's great for stopping the run, but in terms of pass rushing? (Seattle has a 335 lb DE, 2 320 lb DT's, and the other DE is 250 lbs).

That being said, his contract is VERY reasonable since he restructured (Seattle's paid him most of the money from his original contract). If you think he'd be a good fit, you could probably get him for a 5th sadly.

Carroll better HOPE he doesn't have any injuries at that position, because behind Curry, his depth is zilch.

CDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I think it's safe to assume there's an issue or two here if they are ready to bail on him already. Not sure it's worth bringing a project in at this point in the season. There's no time to get him caught up on our scheme and then you have to work through whatever issue(s) are there.

If it was before camp opened, I'd be open to it at the right price, but we're 2-1 and got some momentum going -- I would not want to disrupt that b/c who gets cut to make room for him?

[Linked Image from i45.tinypic.com]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

who gets cut to make room for him?

Player #53.

You cut a special teamer on the bottom of the roster, have Curry fill his spot.
As for getting up to speed on the defense.... we run a very uncomplicated 4-3 defense that everyone on the team got caught up on in a couple of weeks of training camp.
Curry played in a 4-3 his whole life, so most of it will already be familiar.

This could well be another D'Qwell situation where he just needs to get back into a normal 4-3 to showcase himself.

Depending upon what they're wanting for compensation, I'd pull the trigger ASAP. I'd be all for giving up a 4th rounder for sure!! This is definitely small risk, high reward potential here.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Aaron curry was a victim of the media hype machine. That isn't to say he wasn't a great college player because he was. The big problem was that all these scouting reports began to make Curry into something he wasn't. The guy hardly ever got to the QB in college, yet was touted as having some undiscovered rush ability. He never came close to that as a pro, unless you call 5.5 sacks in 33 games successful. Furthermore, while a physical specimen, he isn't very strong at the point of attack. Really, he's kinda just another guy. However, he passes the eye test and teams will consider how it would affect a guy to play with an organization as bad as the Seahawks.

He's a good gamble for a team missing a starting 'backer out with injury if the cost were a mid-round pick. He makes a ton of cash for a player who has been disappointing.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I Pass

SaintDawgâ„¢

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Legend
Legend
I don't see Heckert spending a lot of money on guys that would also cost draft picks.

If Curry was a guy who was a 4th or 5th round pick, who had shown some upside, and wouldn't cost much in draft picks or money, then he might take a look. However, a guy who has shown more flaws than upside, and who would cost a lot to bring in ..... I just don't see that as a guy Heckert would pursue.

Look at the guys Heckert has traded for:

Hillis
Gocong
Brown
Mitchell

For the most part, these are young players, with upside, who didn't fit their old team for one reason or another, and who he hoped(s) fit here.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

That isn't to say he wasn't a great college player because he was.

I saw a lot of his games. I was never impressed with him tbh.

Legend
Legend
Conditional 6th Round Pick

Bring him in. If he does anything of notice, bump it up to a 5th or 4th..

That's about all I'd do...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Fujita isn't getting any younger and Curry may be miscast in a 3-4.
Put him on the depth chart behind Fujita and let him earn his way into a starting role?

A trade for a 4th round pick maybe?

If it pans out we would be set a LB for a while.

Last edited by Line Judge; 10/01/11 06:48 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Curry is a bust and he had bust written all over him before he was drafted. The guy simply failed to make impact plays. He lacked pass rush skills and he lacked coverage skills, I did not see anything to make me think he was a first day prospect let alone top 5 in a draft.

He was one draft pick I wanted no part of.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I'd like to bring him in as well, if the cost is right. Never know what a change of scenery... Although that doesn't seem to be the problem here.

I want the Cleveland Browns to be my pallbearers so they can let me down for the last time.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Curry is a bust and he had bust written all over him before he was drafted. The guy simply failed to make impact plays. He lacked pass rush skills and he lacked coverage skills, I did not see anything to make me think he was a first day prospect let alone top 5 in a draft.

That is how I felt, nothing about him screamed top 5 pick.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

FWIW,

so far no one has made Seattle an offer they can't refuse.

Legend
Legend
I thought the general concensus on draft day was we all wanted Curry... just like last year.. we all wanted Eric Berry..

now yall acting like he was garbage coming out of school..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I thought it was Crabtree???

Legend
Legend
I was all aboard the Eric Berry bus, but I was never a Curry fan.

Legend
Legend
We need LBs.

Maybe Fujita should have spent less time in the offseason complaining about the CBA and more time working out

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Seahawks open to trading former first-rounder LB Curry

Link Copied to Clipboard