Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Yeah, all the games are on STO. I already set it to record. I might not watch it live, but will perhaps watch it tonight or tomorrow.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Kirtland up 7-0 in 1st.

Joe Thomas made Justin Timberlake change his name. He didn't want wusses to have the same initials...

Dawg Talker since 3/26/2005...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Kirtland up 14-0 at the half. 2nd TD with 10 seconds to go in the half. Hauber got hurt on the last TD drive. Not sure how serious it is.

Joe Thomas made Justin Timberlake change his name. He didn't want wusses to have the same initials...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Kirtland won 28-7. They only had 11 passing yards which I believe were all on a screen on the first drive, but they had over 400 rushing yards.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
J/C...

Mooney has beaten Shawnee 21-14. While not really a fan of Mooney, it's always good to see a team from The Valley win a Championship. Congrats

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
Legend
Legend
Quote:

J/C...

Mooney has beaten Shawnee 21-14. While not really a fan of Mooney, it's always good to see a team from The Valley win a Championship. Congrats

I may vomit.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Watched the Kirtland game on TV. Man, their running game was unreal. Coldwater didn't stand a chance against that.

Just got home from the Mooney game. Mooney didn't look as impressive to me as they had in years past, but Shawnee just couldn't put it together. Their QB had a nice arm, but he made some poor decisions.

However, Shawnee had a girl on their team! I've watched a lot of HS football, but never saw that. She was their kicker, and she wasn't bad! She didn't kickoff very far, but she'd just pop it up and Mooney wouldn't get a return. So I thought that was cool.

Looking forward to Ignatius/Pickerington tomorrow.

Legend
Legend
I find it appalling that a team with a squad the same size as schools like Boardman and Austintown, with talent recruited from every school in the area, should be able to play in a division so far below their actual talent level.

Once they hit the playoffs, Mooney outmans every single team they play. It's disgusting.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

P
Rookie
Rookie
P
Not saying there isn't a problem, but with open enrollment you can go to other public high schools outside your home district.

The key is you have to pay tuition. Now why don't all the good players who go to private schools go to public schools?

Because if you are paying tuition on top of taxes, you are sending your kids to private school.

Why don't all the good football players in Cleveland load up Glenville even more?

Why not all wrestlers congregate at Cuyahoga Heights?

Because if you are paying out of pocket, you football playing son is going to Ed's or Iggy's.

If they are good wrestlers they got Ed's

No one complains about the Columbus public schools having all the basketball players converging at Brookhaven, the Northland, etc.

The wrestlers some how ending up in Graham school district.

Players moving in with coaches to go to other public schools.

Privates make up about 20% of schools in ohio. they win about 20 to 30 percent of championships.

Take out specialty sports such as golf, hockey, and gymnastics and swimming. And take out the sports that are not played in many inner city public schools, such as soccer, bowling. That is a social economic fact of life.

Then the number is closer to the norm.

What is the answer, seperate playoffs? NO.

Example. What do you do with Div 4 Columbus Africentric, which can draw from all of Columbus City Schools and beyond? SAME ARGUEMENT AGAINST PRIVATES SCHOOLS..........

WHAT THEN? Make a THIRD division for small town vs big city small size publics?

The orange 99 cent stickers will return one day if the fun nazi's allow it.
Legend
Legend
The problem is that kids in the (failing) Youngstown School District, which encompasses 2 High Schools, are an easy target for schools like Mooney and Ursuline.

Hmm ..... should I send my kid to a failing school .... or to one of the better schools, even though all they really want out of him is to play football? There's no real choice there. Plus, the parochial schools have one major advantage over public schools ... they can go get anyone they want. A public school is still not allowed to recruit student athletes. They cannot make an offer to a kid, They cannot even really guarantee up front that there will be room for a kid in their school. Mooney and Ursuline can both do so.

Open enrollment can theoretically help even things up ..... but it really doesn't.

The OHSAA tried to come up with a proposal to even things up .... which would have bumped a school like Mooney up from the Division III level they currently inhabit, (and dominate) but it was voted down.

http://www.cleveland.com/hssports/blog/index.ssf/2011/05/ohios_high_school_administrato.html

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Saw the DVR...WOW...great game...especially from my perspective....The real amazing thing was that Hauber gained 112 yards AFTER severely spraining his left ankle...he did most of that on one leg....And the one time that Coldwater moved with ease(and scored) was the time he was on the bench resting the ankle...

Kirtland basically had 4-6 plays on offense...so there were no surprises for Coldwater...Coldwater knew exactly waht was coming...and Kirtland drove it down their throats...Kirtland left at least 6 points on the field...Coldwater possibly 14...That QB they have is going to be something....He was pretty impressive. So was their safety..Sievert???...He is their top WR but didn't get many chances on O today...but on D he was making some impressive open field tackles on Washington........Both teams have alot of young talent..and I wouldn't be surprise to see a rematch next year....

Today was Christian Hauber's Day...man that kid was impressive....as a player, as a leader, as a person....definite MVP of this game....

!!!!!!!!!!WAY TO GO HORNETS!!!!!!!!!

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Marion local up 14-0 early in the 1st QTR. WOOHOO!

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
D
Legend
Legend
D
J/C

Nice piece by Terry Pluto in today's Plain Dealer about St. Ignatius coach, Chuck Kyle. He sounds like quite a guy.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index.ssf/2011/12/for_st_ignatius_football_coach.html

Legend
Legend
Division I State Final - St. Ignatius vs. Pickerington Central
Final 1st 2nd 3rd 4th T
Pickerington Central 0 13 0 0 13
St. Ignatius 13 7 7 7 34

OHSAA football: St. Ignatius wins 11th state championship

Tim Rogers, The Plain Dealer, December 03, 2011 10:04 p.m.
CANTON, OHIO - The St. Ignatius Wildcats football team got its wish, winning its 11th state title in 2011 on Saturday night in Canton. The Wildcats defeated Pickerington Central, 34-13, in the Division I state championship game. The Wildcats (13-2) led, 20-0, in the second quarter before the Tigers mounted a brief challenge. The Tigers pulled to within 20-13 with 5:00 before halftime but were unable to get any closer. Running back Tim McVey scored on runs of 8 and 1 yards. Tim Shenk kicked field goals of 31 and 43 yards. Read much more on the game later tonight and in Sunday's Plain Dealer.

Last edited by GratefulDawg; 12/03/11 11:21 PM.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Just got back from the game. That was a fun one to watch. Iggy's QB threw a beautiful deep ball.

Pickerington's QB was pretty good, too. Pickerington had a really good WR, but he wasn't on the field at some key times. Not sure about that.

But Iggy was the better team.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Go Cats Baby! One for the big toe!

Sadly, my wife laid the smackdown on me and asked me when the last time a QB from Cleveland threw for almost 300 yards.....

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I have to say, next year, I'm going to pay attention to that Trotwood-Madison team, especially their RB, Israel Green. He had 326 yards on 35 carries and 6 TDs. Kid's only 5'9", but 200 lbs.

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Quote:

Good luck against that Pickerington-Central defense, damn they're good.

not last night...glad to see the boys bring the trophy back home

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
D
Legend
Legend
D
Watching on STO, it looked to me like Pickerington had a size/speed advantage over Iggy and I thought it would be a closer game. But as usual, Ignatius found a way. The announcers said that the Pick-Central receiver was going to OSU next year, and he looked like an impressive mix of size (6-3) and speed.

I also thought it was pretty neat that Kyle and the Pick coach met on the field with a couple minutes left in the game and decided to play their 2nd and 3rd string seniors for the rest of the game - classy move.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Yeah, that WR was impressive. But, like I said, he wasn't on the field at some key times. I didn't understand that.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Just wondering, Ytown...

Have you been following this story at all about Mooney (your favorite ) with their victory cigars and champagne? I was watching the news the night of their win and when they showed the video of the players smoking cigars I thought "man, someone's probably gonna be questioned about that"... now this week the champagne story has come out as the parents supposedly supplied it in the locker room for the team. SMH

I drank while I was in school on the weekends, I played sports, I knew it was probably breaking some athletic rules - but I never had parents supply it to the team and give us cigars, lol. I understand they were partying over a Championship - but sometimes you really have to wonder what in the devil parents are thinking.

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
Legend
Legend
I saw that.

I think it was stupid, because that is the kind of thing that really could cause a school to be forced to surrender its title that it earned on the field by beating up smaller and weaker schools in a sub prime division.

I hope so anyway.

Seriously, it was really stupid. Those kids really could find themselves suspended for the rest of the year ... except that they are athletes, and won't be. They will "voluntarily" take a one day suspension. Big deal. The parents could be in real trouble though. Celebration or not, society takes underage drinking really seriously these days. I think that there will be legal action taken by the authorities .... and even more so because it is such a high profile story.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Ohio High School Football Playoffs...

Link Copied to Clipboard