C
cle23 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
C
http://www.lostlettermen.com/report-jim-tressel-to-meet-with-akron/

Get your sweater vests ready.

Former Ohio State head coach and current Indianapolis Colts replay assistant Jim Tressel will meet with Akron about its head coaching vacancy, according to the Lake County Sentinel.

“Jim Tressel, confirmed by a source at the University of Akron was at the men’s basketball game against Detroit last Saturday night,” Justin Lada wrote. “The same source says that officials from the University will be meeting with Tressel on Tuesday or Wednesday of this week.”

Tressel, 58, was an assistant for the Zips from 1975-78 after graduating from Baldwin-Wallace a year earlier and it would certainly be close to home for the Cleveland native who coached at nearby Youngstown State (1986-2000) and Ohio State (2001-10) before he resigned on Memorial Day over his role in covering up “Tattoogate” in Columbus.

Tressel, who won four FCS national titles with the Penguins and one BCS crown with the Buckeyes, would be insanely overqualified for the position, as the Zips won just two games in the last two seasons combined under ex-head coach Rob Ianello. But Tressel hasn’t been mentioned for many openings because the NCAA could hit him with a “show cause” penalty in which a school must go before the association before hiring the Sweater Vest.

Michigan fans beware: Akron is scheduled to play in Ann Arbor in 2013, in which Tressel could bring his 9-1 record against the Wolverines into the Big House. Might Tressel have something like this to say upon being hired by the Zips?

OK, we are getting ahead of ourselves.

But if we are Akron AD Tom Wistrcill, this move is a no-brainer and we’d be on our hands and knees to bring Tressel north from Columbus.

Legend
Legend
As a student at UA, and a UM fan... I'm confused...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
C
cle23 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
C
I don't particularly like Tressel, but that would be huge for Akron. If he is serious, they would be stupid not to hire him.

S
Legend
Legend
S
ABJ shot this down earlier today I believe.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Isn't "Confused Michigan Fan" pretty much a given?

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Isn't "Confused Michigan Fan" pretty much a given?

... ... ... ... ... ... ...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
V
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
V
Quote:

There's been rumors flying from everywhere on both sides of the coin with this. Though it has been said by multiple people that Tressel has indeed been on campus at Akron.

As a pretty big Akron fan and a believer in "where there's smoke, there's fire", I'm holding out hope until there's an announcement either way. Tressel would be an amazing hire that would instantly give a shot in the arm to a football program that's seen impressive investments in facilities but not impressive results on the field.

Go Orange Helmeted Sportsmen of America!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This would be bad for OSU as he will try and get Ohio Players....he might not get the 5 star at akron...but he might get 1 or 2 every now n then that would otherwise go to OSU IMO....i love you tress...but please please don't coach AKRON! boo

[Linked Image from fbcdn-profile-a.akamaihd.net]
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I think it's a long shot but it'd be interesting if Tressel took the job. The MAC East needs teams that can compete with NIU and Toledo.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

So did the Canton Repository

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
It wouldn't matter one ounce of squat to OSU. Most MAC teams - mine included - get a couple to a handful of 3 star type recruits. Once in awhile a 4 star comes via recruiting (Tank Sturdivant to Toledo last year over PSU) and a few transfer in from other programs for various reasons (the Haden brothers ((one who has since quit football)), Vlad Emilien from Michigan, a LBer from OkState and Cordale Scott from Illinois being recent examples at UT)... but Toledo/BG/NIU/Akron/KSU etc. "ain't" getting a huge crop of 4-5 star types ever, no matter who is the coach, until they become the next Boise.

Look at Ohio with Solich - recognizable former big time coach whom I believe won a National Championship (could be wrong on that) but Ohio still is what it is. A good team in the MAC East, but about 3rd or 4th if they were in the West.

All that said, I'd be a huge fan of Tressel being in the MAC. I like the guy - always have since his YSU days - and Akron is a runaway garbage fire football program with wonderful facilities. It's a shame how abysmal that team has been with the exception of the Charlie Frye timeframe. Having him in the conference would not only make Akron better, but it would force the contenders in the MAC to keep stepping it up - and that's not a bad thing.

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The word around here in Akron is Tressel is only here to help assist Akron in the coaching search and he isn't going to coach the team.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
N
Legend
Legend
N

Quote:

The word around here in Akron is Tressel is only here to help assist Akron in the coaching search and he isn't going to coach the team.

as if Tressel would have to interview if he wanted the job at Akron

it would be funny to see Tressel and Solich get together and discuss how it is to coach in the MAC after running high profile teams for years

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I thought your name stood for Ohio State Guy, now I'm confused.

Last edited by Psydeffect; 12/02/11 08:34 AM.
Legend
Legend
My lady friend says it stands for "One Sweet Guy"

*awwww*

Yeah I know...

In actuality I had planned to start a sports blog called "Ohio Sports Guy" as a ripoff/omage to Bill Simmons... But they never came to be, And I didn't feel like changing my name on here again...

Legend
Legend
After reading what your "lady friend" says it means, I'm thinking I might change my name to OneSickGuy.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Tressel Interviewing for Coaching Position at..................Akron?

Link Copied to Clipboard