Print Thread
#654601 01/17/12 11:04 PM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Dre Kirkpatrick arrested for marijuana possession
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 17, 2012, 3:40 PM EST
drekirkpatrick

Former Alabama cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick, who is widely viewed as a first-round prospect in this year’s NFL draft, has been arrested for possession of marijuana.

The web site for the Sheriff’s Office in Manatee County, Florida, lists Kirkpatrick as having been arrested at 12:48 a.m. today for possession of less than 20 grams of cannabis. He was released after posting $120 bond.

Kirkpatrick, who announced last week that he is leaving Alabama for the NFL, is considered one of the top defensive players in the class of 2012. The eight mock drafts posted at NFL.com all have Kirkpatrick going in the Top 10. web page

S
Legend
Legend
S
Well, there's always the Bengals, Dre.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I wonder if this makes him fall far? I suppose it's how he reacts to it. I also wonder if he owns up to it or a "I was holding it for a friend" story comes out...?

Does Janoris Jenkins pass him up now on draft day?

"Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things."

@pstu24
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I wonder what % of pros smoke pot. I bet its fairly high.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
This is a talented corner class and there isn't a great deal separating #1 from #5. I would say at least on my board, he goes from #2 to #4. Dennard, Jenkins really benefit and STephon Gilmore could leapfrog him as well. Now teams begin looking for a reason to pass on him. Where as before they were looking at his positives.

Bengals looking for a corner so he shouldnt make it past them lol.

Arps #654606 01/17/12 11:50 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Whether they smoke or not isn't what's important. I'm sure it's a very high number

The real question is what percentage of pros get caught.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Arps #654607 01/17/12 11:59 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Your mind would be blown by how many pros are pot smokers.

I know many pros in many different sports. Almost all are.

It helps alleviate pain.

It is non-caloric so it doesn't add weight in and of itself.

It doesn't have a lot of the drawbacks of drinking.

There is a lot of downtime in pro sports and it's a high stress profession.

From my experience and what I know I would be shocked if less than 50% of NFL players smoke.

For discussion purposes I do not smoke, nor have I ever smoked a cigarette.

Now back to the subject...if you get busted for pot pre-combine in what is the biggest interview of your life...where you know! that you are going to get tested and scrutinized...then you're a knucklehead.

All the NFL coaches know that most their team smokes pot. What they don't want is for you to know about it.

If you can't handle yourself in the correct manner for a few months then why should I give you millions of dollars and trust you to do the right thing and commit to do everything in your power to help a team?

[Linked Image]
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
The only thing I think is that it's not quite at that window for the combine. What is it ... 30 days before and they can trace it? That would mean (if it is 30 days) that he should be clean by about January 22nd if it starts February 22nd. So he's got 5 weeks and a day or two from today.

The kid just won a national title. I'm not giving him a free pass but it wasn't as dumb as the guys who test positive AT the combine. He was probably taking it easy and celebrating for a week or two before he goes back to work 24/7 to get ready for the combine.

I guess it just comes down to what else they can find and how he reacts to it as a few others mentioned.

@pstu24
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Quote:

Whether they smoke or not isn't what's important. I'm sure it's a very high number

The real question is what percentage of pros get caught.

This could work out great for us if he were to fall to 22 or 37. Not sure if we will go that direction with those picks but I like Kirkpatrick. He's got to be smarter than that though, come on man can't you just wait until you get through all the bull and the draft and you figure out how you can do that and be good. Other guys would show you the ropes. You potentially could have just lost 2 maybe 250,000? not sure.

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
Legend
Legend
Man, if we could get Blackmon and Kirkpatrick without trading... whoo boy that's a 1st round.

I don't think he will fall that far, though. It's possible.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Man, if we could get Blackmon and Kirkpatrick without trading... whoo boy that's a 1st round.

I don't think he will fall that far, though. It's possible.

I would be very happy with that!

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
More details on Dre Kirkpatrick's arrest in Florida for marijuana possession

January 17, 2012

TUSCALOOSA, Alabama - Former Alabama cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick was arrested early Tuesday morning in Palmetto, Fla., and charged with possession of a small amount of marijuana.

The arrest came less than five days after Kirkpatrick announced that he would skip his senior season with the Crimson Tide and declare for the 2012 NFL draft. He was expected to be picked early in the first round.

Kirkpatrick, 22, was a passenger in a rented vehicle driven by Chris Rogers, 25, a former Alabama defensive back.

The vehicle was stopped by a Palmetto Police Department officer because it was being driven on the wrong side of the road, according to Manatee County Sheriff's Department spokesman Dave Bristow.

Rogers also was arrested for marijuana possession.

The charge is a misdemeanor. The amount of marijuana that was found in the vehicle was 7.9 grams (0.28 ounces), according to the incident report.

Kirkpatrick and Rogers each was released on a $120 bond, and court dates were set for Feb. 21.

The arrest occurred at 12:39 a.m. Tuesday at 900 6th St. West in Palmetto, a neighboring city of Bradenton.

Rogers admitted to purchasing the marijuana, according to the incident report. Kirkpatrick admitted to being in the vehicle when the purchase was made but said he did not know at the time that drugs were being purchased. Both men were under the influence of drugs at the time of the arrest, according to the incident report.

Kirkpatrick's height it listed at 6-foot-2 on the report. He was listed at 6-3 on Alabama's roster, and his height makes him attractive to pro scouts.

The finalist for the 2011 Thorpe Award, which goes to the nation's top defensive back, was a first-team selection on three All-America teams - including the Football Writers Association of America - and was a second-team selection on The Associated Press All-America team.

A former star at Gadsden City High School, Kirkpatrick started two seasons for the Crimson Tide. During the recent 12-1 season that ended on Jan. 9 with a 21-0 victory over top-ranked LSU in the BCS Championship Game, Kirkpatrick made 30 tackles (24 unassisted), including four for a loss. He broke up nine passes and forced two fumbles.

web page

This jumps out at me...

"The vehicle was stopped by a Palmetto Police Department officer because it was being driven on the wrong side of the road, according to Manatee County Sheriff's Department spokesman Dave Bristow."

....the cops might have saved the lives of these two idiots.

Then there is this...

"Rogers admitted to purchasing the marijuana, according to the incident report. Kirkpatrick admitted to being in the vehicle when the purchase was made but said he did not know at the time that drugs were being purchased. Both men were under the influence of drugs at the time of the arrest, according to the incident report."

...both were under the influence of drugs, so Kirkpatricks defense, that he didn't buy these drugs, does not explain how he ended up being under the influence.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I wish he would fall to 22 but I don't see it...teams always need CBs...and tall CBs who can cover and tackle don't grow on trees...if he's there at 22 I'd actually be reluctant to draft him as something is really fishy then....I'd rather see us trade up from 22 to 15-20 range to get him if he falls, that would make me more confident

I'm getting on the RG 3 bandwagon though as long as he doesn't measure under 6'1....and yes, that includes a trade up to 2 with both 1st rounders....we have to fix the QB position first and foremost

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
Legend
What a knucklehead. And, I'm not going to buy the "well, a lot of athletes smoke pot" defense, either. It's still wrong. Hopefully this is a kick in the pants for him and he gets his head on straight.

But, I'm not going to say the kid is undraftable because of this indiscretion. My man Justin Blackmon got a DUI (which somehow therefore makes him unworthy of our first pick, according to some). But, he hasn't been in trouble since.

If this is Kirkpatrick's first run in, I say teams really put him through the ringer at the combine about it. If the teams get a feeling that this was a stupid kid mistake and that being in the NFL with all that money and fame (and everything that comes with it) won't exacerbate his problems, then I have no problem taking him.

JMHO

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

The only thing I think is that it's not quite at that window for the combine. What is it ... 30 days before and they can trace it? That would mean (if it is 30 days) that he should be clean by about January 22nd if it starts February 22nd. So he's got 5 weeks and a day or two from today.

30 days for a urine test, but if they do hair testing, head hair goes back 90 days with every inch of hair and body hair goes back 12 months. so he has to hope they do urine testing!

N
Legend
Legend
N
or shave

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
shave the whole body if they are doing hair testing? that would look suspicious lol

i work for a drug testing company and sometimes people shave their entire body except for one "private" region. well, they just shot themselves in the foot. head hair can go back 90 days, body hair 12 months, but "private" hair can go back almost 2 years. lol

N
Legend
Legend
N
doesn't matter if it looks suspicious. it matters if it works

if i was an agent, then i'd make sure my clients were properly prepared

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Yeah, because if his test is negative at the combine, the fact that he was arrested this time will be ignored.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
there is a time and place to smoke pot, and it is college

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Yeah, because if his test is negative at the combine, the fact that he was arrested this time will be ignored.

obviously that wouldn't help this knucklehead. we were speaking a bit off tangent on to what players should do (getting in a car, smoking a joint while driving on the wrong side of the road is distinctly in the 'do not do' list )

#gmstrong
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Does Janoris Jenkins pass him up now on draft day?

Jenkins got kicked out of school for a possession charge (not his first arrest, either).

Why would he pass Kirkpatrick in that regard?

If a possession charge makes you think twice about Kirkpatrick, then Jenkins should be even lower down the list.

PDR #654623 01/18/12 08:50 PM
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Janoris also went to a 1-AA school to prove he could make it without trouble.

As some have alluded ... Kirkpatrick is literally a few months from being a millionaire where his only 2 goals over the next few weeks are 1. Workout - 2. Don't get arrested.

He got busted in crunchtime and Janoris was a higher rated prospect.

My point was I wonder if Janoris can now pass him up since Kirk's was more recent and therefore he could be seen as more of a risk.

@pstu24
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Well, there's always the Bengals, Dre.

O hell no....Remember they made it to the play-offs....I like Dre's talents...it's not like he got in trouble in Alabama....people make mistakes.. he may or may not learn...

Best way to get him off pot is to bring him into Cleveland...Have him hang with the Recvr's....They can smoke all the pot they want.. they won't catch a buzz..cause they can't catch a pass...

On the serious side...I see a Hanford Dixon style player but 3 inches taller...He'd be the Great Dane of the Dawgs...

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
i think he'll still come in as the #2 CB...maybe drops a few picks but still top 15

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

i think he'll still come in as the #2 CB...maybe drops a few picks but still top 15

I don't think this is going to change his Draft status, so long as he test clean. Pot doesn't take away a persons talents for the game. It does however make a case for poor judgment on his behalf.

The propaganda war (by alcohol and pharmaceutical companies) on marijuana is just insane.
Alcohol is far worse and has no medical use other then as an antiseptic. Yet it is legal.
Zolof (sp? )is said to have similar effects is/was made legal, but now we are finding out that the side effects can be detrimental to ones health, but because it was made by a big drug company 'for profit' it was made legal and now we know that the side effects are far worst then any benefits gained by the drug.

How many of you folks believed president Clinton, when he said that he smoked pot, but didn't inhale (lol)?
Probably less then those who believe in the many myths surrounding marijuana.

I am not in favor of legalization of marijuana, but I am in favor of it's decriminalization. The same principles apply here as did with alcohol when it was made illegal.

And if any of you go to Florida you will see how easy it is to find yourself on a one way street and going the wrong way.
I can say that it has happened to me in downtown St. Petersburg when I first moved there, Half of the streets are one way and all you have to do is make one wrong turn on a road that you are not familiar with.

Carry on.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I'm not going to say the kid is undraftable because of this indiscretion. My man Justin Blackmon got a DUI (which somehow therefore makes him unworthy of our first pick, according to some). But, he hasn't been in trouble since.

And others like to say that we should Draft Michael Floyd, because of this, but he was also arrested (albeit on campus) for a DUI. LOL.

[Linked Image]

N
Legend
Legend
N
considering we took Phil Taylor (who had to leave PSU due to off-field issues) and Jabaal Sheard (he only threw a man through a glass door); I think Heckert is going to focus more on talent and drive than an indiscretion.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

considering we took Phil Taylor (who had to leave PSU due to off-field issues) and Jabaal Sheard (he only threw a man through a glass door); I think Heckert is going to focus more on talent and drive than an indiscretion.

I agree ... It was some years ago, but I was young too once. I think we all can say that we had/have some character flaws as young/old adults in some form or another, unless you are Jesus Christ.

Sexual assault or assault with a deadly weapon would be a different case scenario.

The only thing is, is that it present an opportunity to use as ammunition against you in an interview ... Such as; do you think that you can control your desire to use a banned substance? Or something along those lines and you better have a sincere and convincing response ready.

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 01/19/12 01:35 PM.

[Linked Image]

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) There is always 1

Link Copied to Clipboard