Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#658070 02/01/12 10:01 AM
Nas320 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Am I the only one who pays attention to this stuff?

Oh, and I woke up this morning to Michigan flipping 4-star RB Dennis Norfleet.

Reminds me of Darren Sproles.

---------

Signing Day Count:

Michigan:

5-Star: 2
4-Star: 10
3-Star: 13

Ohio State:

5-Star: 2
4-Star: 13
3-Star: 8

Michigan and OSU are now only 2 of 5 schools in the country with (2) 5 star recruits and (10 or more) 4 star recruits.

B
Legend
Legend
B
No, you're not the only one.

The Gators just flipped a 5 star from the Florida wannabe State Seminals.

That makes 3 ***** players.

web page

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
A
Legend
Legend
A
j/c

Well, here's one guy that won't be declaring any time soon.

Roger Lewis, from Pickerington Central H.S. 2 felony counts of rape.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool...-124158285.html

D
Legend
Legend
D

C
Legend
Legend
C
The kid (Ellis McCarthy - ranked in the top 100) from my high school here in California (Monrovia High School) flipped from Cal to UCLA a couple weeks ago. Some say he might flip again to either USC or Oregon. If UCLA gets him he will be there biggest signing since the mid-80's.

Legend
Legend
I saw that state championship game. I can't remember if it was him that made some big plays, but if it was, he was a big time player.

Hopefully (for him) these allegations aren't true. If they are true, he deserves everything he's got coming to him.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Nas320 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
So by my count, OSU is 2 scholarships over the imposed 82 roster limit (3-year average) with the possibility of 2 additional commits.

Wonder if they've informed the 4 players currently on scholarship that they've been replaced?

And USC sure seems to be having a rough go with that scholarship reduction.....or not.

(3) 5-star, (10) 4-star and (2) 3 star. Maybe they'll lack a little depth in certain cases but a 4.07 star average on their recruits.

#7 class in the country with only 15 players committed and by far the highest star average. Business as usual it seems.

Legend
Legend
I expect Ty Williams and Rod Smith to transfer. Jamaal Berry needs to get his ish together.

Legend
Legend
should have been obvious when he came out in the sweater vest.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

should have been obvious when he came out in the sweater vest.

I don't know. I thought for sure a kid doing that would say something like:

"I do not know about any NCAA violations at Ohio State unless you check my email. I choose Michigan."

or I was just a cynical, smart-ass kid

#gmstrong
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Wonder if they've informed the 4 players currently on scholarship that they've been replaced?

Meyer at Florida was actually really good at keeping under the number (unlike other SEC schools like Bama). So, I hope/suspect that he knows of a few impending transfers and is pro-actively filling their slots. Or, he has told some of these signees that they will be grey-shirts (though, again, he didn't do much of that at Florida).

And, there is this GEM, which Meyer is doing along with some other Big10 schools. Been waiting for this for YEARS:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7528614/some-big-ten-offering-4-year-scholarships

Quote:

Players who signed letters of intent Wednesday at many Big Ten schools received more security in their scholarships than in years past.

The (Cleveland) Plain Dealer reported that Ohio State is one of several league schools that awarded this year's recruits guaranteed four-year scholarships instead of the renewable one-year grants that have been the norm in college sports.

In October, the NCAA allowed schools to offer multiyear scholarships as part of a package of reforms. The full NCAA body is expected to approve multiyear scholarships later this month. Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany has voiced his support for four-year scholarships.

Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa, Wisconsin, Northwestern and Illinois confirmed to ESPN.com that they have given out four-year scholarships to this class. Purdue, Indiana and Minnesota are still awarding one-year renewable grants.

"We went and made them four-year scholarships and we'll see where that all goes with the NCAA and some addendums with how you'd lose a scholarship," Michigan coach Brady Hoke said. "Obviously you quit football, you're not going to be on scholarship."

Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith told The Plain Dealer that players could still lose their scholarships if they don't fulfill academic or off-the-field requirements. But the multiyear scholarship prevents coaches from running off players if better talent has been recruited at their positions or who no longer fit the team's style of play.

"You had to kind of figure it out," Hoke said of the scholarships. "You didn't know what everybody else was going to do. I think some time, they are either going to go and make it two-year deals and not four. They were four a long time ago and you decided you didn't want to play anymore, you were still on scholarship. That's not fair to the school.

"I always thought the one-year renewables were fine because in my tenure as a head coach or being an assistant coach, I don't remember guys that their scholarship was taken because of athletic performance. It was something socially. It was something academically."

Brian Bennett covers Big Ten football for ESPN.com. Information from Michael Rothstein of WolverineNation was used in this report.

Last edited by no_logo_required; 02/01/12 06:37 PM.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Unless this is inaccurate OSU is at 81

http://i44.tinypic.com/qzj0yd.jpg

Oh yeah stanford is going to be incredible.

C
All Pro
All Pro
C
Does anybody know the latest on 5 star undecided recruit Stefon Diggs? Rumors?

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

Meyer at Florida was actually really good at keeping under the number (unlike other SEC schools like Bama). So, I hope/suspect that he knows of a few impending transfers and is pro-actively filling their slots. Or, he has told some of these signees that they will be grey-shirts (though, again, he didn't do much of that at Florida).

And, there is this GEM, which Meyer is doing along with some other Big10 schools. Been waiting for this for YEARS:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7528614/some-big-ten-offering-4-year-scholarships

Quote:

Players who signed letters of intent Wednesday at many Big Ten schools received more security in their scholarships than in years past.

The (Cleveland) Plain Dealer reported that Ohio State is one of several league schools that awarded this year's recruits guaranteed four-year scholarships instead of the renewable one-year grants that have been the norm in college sports.

In October, the NCAA allowed schools to offer multiyear scholarships as part of a package of reforms. The full NCAA body is expected to approve multiyear scholarships later this month. Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany has voiced his support for four-year scholarships.

Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa, Wisconsin, Northwestern and Illinois confirmed to ESPN.com that they have given out four-year scholarships to this class. Purdue, Indiana and Minnesota are still awarding one-year renewable grants.

"We went and made them four-year scholarships and we'll see where that all goes with the NCAA and some addendums with how you'd lose a scholarship," Michigan coach Brady Hoke said. "Obviously you quit football, you're not going to be on scholarship."

Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith told The Plain Dealer that players could still lose their scholarships if they don't fulfill academic or off-the-field requirements. But the multiyear scholarship prevents coaches from running off players if better talent has been recruited at their positions or who no longer fit the team's style of play.

"You had to kind of figure it out," Hoke said of the scholarships. "You didn't know what everybody else was going to do. I think some time, they are either going to go and make it two-year deals and not four. They were four a long time ago and you decided you didn't want to play anymore, you were still on scholarship. That's not fair to the school.

"I always thought the one-year renewables were fine because in my tenure as a head coach or being an assistant coach, I don't remember guys that their scholarship was taken because of athletic performance. It was something socially. It was something academically."

Brian Bennett covers Big Ten football for ESPN.com. Information from Michael Rothstein of WolverineNation was used in this report.

He did. Florida didn't over recruit. Foley(the AD) won't allow it....his attitude is we sold the kid on being a Gator, he committed to us, so we are now committed to him.

I think in this case he is because he knows a few guys aren't going to like what he is doing and leave the program. In this case I think he is smart to recruit a few over the limit.

If you have fullbacks at OSU, you won't need them anymore and they will soon see they have no role and move on....hey, maybe Florida?? We are now in the market for fullbacks!

As to the 4 year deal, I agree it shouldn't be guaranteed. If the kid quits the team, he should be off scholarship.....BUT...as a institution of higher learning, part of that learning is teaching ethics....something we need more of in this world.

If you, the coach decided this high school kid was a kid you wanted, and you made a mistake and the kid isn't very good....as long as he is showing up for practice and demonstrating the necessary effort, you are IMO ethically bound to giving him the 4 full years. If you red shirted him, then the 5.

Cowboy up.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
j/c

I thought this was pretty funny.

link

Cassanova McKinzy spurned Clemson because he missed the Chick-Fil-A

What's really important to a college football athlete when choosing the right school? Location, academics, the ability to start early?

How about a school's proximity to Chick-fil-A?

That's apparently what swayed Birmingham, Ala., linebacker Cassanova McKinzy from Clemson to Auburn. When McKinzy visited the Clemson campus, there was no Chick-fil-A in sight, and that just wasn't acceptable.

"[It was] kind of the environment and plus they had no Chick-fil-A on campus," McKinzy said when asked why he didn't choose Clemson (scroll ahead to the 1:30 mark in the video). "You had to go like, probably like 15 minutes off campus to go to like a real restaurant. Their café was kind of small."

Never mind that there is a Chick-fil-A on Clemson's campus. Clearly this crucial fact was not highlighted on McKinzy's visit. And if you've ever been to a Chick-fil-A, you can sympathize with McKinzy. There's no better way to start a morning than with a spicy chicken biscuit and no better way to settle into an evening of studying than with some waffle fries.

I had never tasted Chick-fil-A before attending college and I can honestly say it was one of the reasons why I stayed.

Of course, McKinzy goes on to say something about the Clemson facilities being too far away from the classes and dorms, but we know the perceived absence of Chick-fil-A was the real reason for him choosing Auburn.

Perhaps whoever McKinzy's hosts were at Clemson took him to the wrong part of campus.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
LOL How would you like to have to explain that one?

Well, we lost this recruit because we forgot to show him where the darn Chick-Fil-A is.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
N
Legend
Legend
N
I hope Auburn gets to go to the Chik-Fil-A Kickoff Classic or the Chik-Fil-A Bowl while he is there.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
so does he, I would guess.

I wish I would have picked my college for the Chiks. But I went to Case.

N
Legend
Legend
N
mama santas wasn't good enough?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
now you're getting me all nostalgic.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

LOL How would you like to have to explain that one?

Well, we lost this recruit because we forgot to show him where the darn Chick-Fil-A is.

Honestly ... would you want him on your team if that's his selection criteria?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We had a secretary here that got a job offer closer to her house and when she was deciding on whether or not to take the job she made out a Pro's and Con's list and on her Con list for the new job she wrote "No Chipotle in driving distance for lunch."

Sorry for the off topic, the whole Chick-Fil-A thing reminded me of that.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
those kinds of things are important! seriously. i work in an office. its nice to have a good lunch to look forward to

Legend
Legend
Heck, why do you think I moved to Chicago....all the Pizza and great Mexican food. Mmmmmm.

On top of that, I wanted to be able to watch good NFL football too. I couldn't get that in Cleveland.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
J/C...

Was flipping around the radio this evening and caught a bit of a Notre Dame show here on local radio. Jesus. I thought Big Ten fans were hard to take - at least OSU is relevant... and has been over the past decade.

An OSU honk called in to talk to the ND people about recruiting and I wanted to stick a fork in my ear. ND people talking about how they've - until recently - recruited Ohio well and then using the fact that apparently 2 of the 4 Horsemen were from Ohio.

LIVE IN THE NOW MAN!

One thing though, pretty much everybody I heard ND wise is about fed up with Kelly. That didn't take long.

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
And for anyone interested in a take on the MAC...

February 1, 2012
TheRocketNation MAC Team Recruiting Rankings
Brian Nowicki
TheRocketNation.com Senior Writer

TheRocketNation has ranked all fourteen Mid-American Conference schools to see who had the best 2012 football recruiting classes. Before we get into the rankings, here is a breakdown of how they were calculated.

The formula was devised a few days ago. The formula was developed and set in stone before plugging any school's commitments/signees in to calculate their score.

The formula is pretty simple and uses the rating of each player, up to 25 players. If a school signed more than 25 players, only the top 25 rated players were used for the calculation.

The formula rewards points based on the rating of each player. A 6.1 five star prospect gets 50 points, 6.0 four star 45 points, 5.9 four star 40 points, 5.8 four star 35 points, 5.7 three star 30 points, 5.6 three star 25 points, 5.5 three star 20 points, 5.4 two star 15 points, 5.3 two star 10 points, 5.2 two star 5 points, and any other and unrated player get just 1 point. The points for the first 25 signees are then totaled up for a total team score.

The player rating is best on the player rating given to them from Rivals.com.

So without further adieu, here are the rankings.

1 - Toledo (425 points)
2 - Temple (360 points)
3 - Western Michigan (330 points)
4 - Northern Illinois (315 points)
5 - Kent State (294 points)
6 - Ohio University (285 points)
7 - Miami University (260 points)
8 - Eastern Michigan (250 points)
9 - Bowling Green (222 points)
10 - Central Michigan (217 points)
11 - Ball State (190 points)
12 - Akron (173 points)
13 - UMASS (165 points)
14 - Buffalo (144 points)

Toledo has the top class in our poll by a good margin. Toledo signed the most three star prospects according to Rivals.com, and that included three players that were rated at the highest three star level with a 5.7 rating. Toledo did a great job of filling needs.

Temple signed a great class. Three star running back Jamie Gilmore of Citra, FL has the potential to be a dominating MAC running back. A late pickup of Pennsylvania safety Nate Smith, originally committed to West Virginia, was also a big pickup for the Owls.

Western Michigan and Northern Illinois are separated by just 15 points. Both had very strong classes. Western Michigan got a steal in Florida wide receiver Jaime Wilson. Northern Illinois won the MAC in 2011 and are showing no signs of slipping with the recruiting class they brought in. Three star wide receiver Charlie Miller picked the Huskies over several BCS offers. Mike Cotton looks like he will be an all-MAC performer at linebacker for them, and the Huskies bolstered the defensive line with several outstanding prospects. QB Matt Williams has the tools to compete for the quarterback job in a year or two.

Kent State and Ohio University were very close in points. Kent State had a strong class with a JUCO quarterback in David Fisher that will compete for the starting spot right away. Wide receiver James Brooks is a steal for Kent State and he could be the break away receiver they desperately need. Ohio University loaded up with eight (8) three star commitments and a ton of talent at receiver and on the defensive line. The rest of the class seemed rather average though. Only time will tell as many times average prospects become diamonds in the rough that are all-MAC players.

Miami University and Eastern Michigan are separated by just 10 points. Miami signed a solid class from top to bottom, and offensive lineman Terry Davis should probably be a three star prospect. Eastern Michigan is ranked 8th in this MAC Team Ranking and I hate to see that. The reason I say this is because I think there class is better than it is getting rated. I love this class Eastern Michigan signed and would call it a top five MAC class if we did not use a formula. RB Juwan Lewis is going to be a good one for them. I think Florida wide receiver Mitchell Dawkins should be a three star prospect, and even think he is the best player in the class. He was not rated high and slipped through the cracks because of an injury. This kid is going to be all-MAC someday if EMU gets a QB that can throw it to him.

Bowling Green and Central Michigan were next on the list and almost interchangeable. Bowling Green's class looks better on paper than their ranking. What really hurts them in this ranking is that they only signed 20 players. But like Eastern Michigan's class, just because it ranks lower in a calculated formula does not mean that it was not a very good class. It filled BG's needs very well and there are som really impressive prospects. With BG's passing game, watch for JUCO wide receiver Michael Allen to become a big-time receiver at Bowling Green.

Ball State is next. Athlete Tyree Holder and defensive back/linebacker Aaron Taylor have a lot of potential. Ball State's class is a little deceiving. Not a lot standing out, but a lot of raw talent and potential that could grow into a very nice group of players for the Cardinals.

Akron did a good job of putting a class together at the last minute with new head coach Terry Bowden. Bowden will have Akron turning things around quickly, but the real question will be his 2013 recruiting class. I'm guessing he is going to haul in a very nice class next year.

UMASS joins the MAC this summer and competes in the fall. Their first class was a late-blooming one that is a good start. Like with Akron, the question will be how well they do in next year's recruiting class.

Buffalo is at the bottom. There are only 19 signees so that does hurt their points in this ranking, but the class just doesn't jump out as a very good one. Only time will tell if Buffalo found a lot of sleeper prospects, but it just does not seem that they signed anyone that is a play maker that could take it to the house on any play. The offensive and defensive line might be the strength of the class.

http://toledo.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1326659

Last edited by bigdatut; 02/02/12 10:02 PM.

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
David Perkins 4 stars ATH South Bend, IN
Washington 6'2" 225 4.4

Heh.. funny you mention ND. Perkins is from South Bend.. right in ND backyard and they can't get that guy? Thats a 4 star recruit that Kelly couldn't get and Meyer did.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Legend
Legend
Recruiting, especially at the 4 and 5 star level isn't really geographic any more. I know it's still important to remain relevant as a recruiter in your own backyard but you absolutely have to steal players from other areas (especially since 54 of the top 100 recruits came from 4 states.. California, Texas, Florida and Georgia)...

yebat' Putin
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum National Signing Day Thread

Link Copied to Clipboard