#661599 02/13/12 05:13 PM
T
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
T
Quote:

Feb. 13, 2012

DALLAS, Texas - Presidents and chancellors from 16 universities met in Dallas Sunday to discuss future conference membership plans and agreed to work on forming a new intercollegiate athletic association that would begin competition in the 2013-14 academic year.

This presidentially-led association will ensure stability and be built upon the principles of operating at the highest level of integrity and sportsmanship, enhancing the student-athlete academic and competitive experience, bringing fiscal discipline into athletics and ensuring competitive fairness.

"This is an exciting development that will stabilize the current conferences and create the first truly national conference with members in five time zones and television viewership from coast to coast. This partnership brings together like-minded institutions to improve the integrity and stability of intercollegiate athletics," said UNLV President Neal Smatresk. "We are moving our plans forward rapidly and expect to complete our conversations in the near future. Look for further announcements soon as we work together on this exciting new venture."

Universities involved in the discussions were the United States Air Force Academy, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Colorado State University, East Carolina University, Fresno State, University of Hawai'i, Marshall University, University of Nevada, Reno, University of New Mexico, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Rice University, University of Southern Mississippi, University of Texas at El Paso, Tulane University, The University of Tulsa and University of Wyoming. With the exception of Hawai'i as a football-only member, the participation would involve all sports.

The structure of the new conference will likely include:

Membership of 18 to 24 universities
National scope from the Atlantic Seaboard to Hawaii
Championship football game format that includes semifinal match-ups
Championship basketball tournament
Regular season scheduling in divisions
NCAA FBS affiliation
Mechanisms to emphasize and improve academic standards and fiscal responsibility

The presidents and chancellors will have follow-up meetings over the next six months to fully develop the operational issues essential to the formation of the association.

Seems that the mantra here is "Go big or go home" I guess...

There was talk that Temple might want in on this too as football only.. and it's sounding like this will be a death sentence to the WAC...

http://www.themwc.com/genrel/021312aab.html

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
The league, even though large in members, still won't sniff the bcs. It's a shame what has happened to college athletics. The big east for football is the biggest sham going.

T
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
T
BCS autobid dies in the near future...

It's possible with a semi final game and an "association" Championship there will be some team from this group ranked in the top 10...

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

This is an exciting development that will stabilize the current conferences

#gmstrong
T
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
T
Well if they get poached... they still have a conference... the big east just raided C-usa and the Mountain West which put both of the conference's existence into jeopardy.

N
Legend
Legend
N
ok, from that standpoint. but i was reading it as if this was a truly stabilizing effect, which it is not. other conferences will continue to poach as they see fit (sadly, but it is what it is).

anyway, that's not a very good list of teams left. i feel bad for S.Miss and Tulsa (maybe ECU?) who have had good programs but really will not be given the benefit of the doubt in the next few years (at least) due to the rest of the conference they will be pitted against.

#gmstrong
T
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
T
In thus for the "Go big or go home" plan... eventually some school is going to emerge from the drek and some big name conference is going to want them. When they get poached, they'll be in a position to keep the status quo.

Dissolving the MWC also cancels their extremely terrible TV contract and with a playoff of some sort makes it kind of attractive to potential sponsors.

Also...

No one is talking about AQ status.

N
Legend
Legend
N
there's no way that the MWC can just walk away from their TV contract. they have to pay some type of exit fee or something I would imagine. plus, they lost the best schools.

not sure what you mean by "not talking AQ status" the AQ term may go away with the new version of the BCS coming in a couple years, but there will still be a line between the big5/6 conferences (depending on if the Big East can hold on with their new alignment) and everyone else.

in fact, there is alot of chatter about adding a bigger SOS component that would help boost those who play in stronger conferences (with the intention of trying to get better OOC games too which also would hurt the conferences like the MWCCUSA, MAC, SB).

#gmstrong
T
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
T
I know that It's going away. I was just saying that the MWC stopped talking about attempting to even believe that was a possibility awhile ago. And again, At this point it's about survival.

At any rate since the MWC and C-USA are dissolving the networks can't charge a fee to a conference that doesn't exist.

N
Legend
Legend
N
you can charge it to the member schools though. my guess is it is used as leverage to sign a new deal with that network

understand what you meant now about the AQ status though. thanks.

#gmstrong
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
It surprises me that these actions havent happened sooner. Not as much this concept of the super conference, and banding together, but why they havent done this on a much larger scale.

The BCS and Bowl system greatly hamper the mid majors in their chances of ever cracking through to a national championship...proof in that is the amount of undefeated seasons that have garnered nothing in terms of respect.

Now the MWC and CUSA are combining and adding a semi-final matchup. Unknowingly, theyve created something amazing, and that should happen on a much grander scale.

Follow me here.

If EVERY conference/school from a non-big six conference banded together and said eff this bowl system. Our best chance of getting a national champion from our ranks would be to have a playoff system. At this point...theres no talks.

The MWC and CUSA are going to have a semi-final.

What if the WAC, the MWC, CUSA, Sun Belt, and MAC banded together and said were not going to a bowl again. No more bowl games for us. We're taking our 5 conferences, and creating a 8-12-or-16 team playoff and creating our own championship.

This way the top 2,3, and maybe 4 teams get to go to a playoff game. Which will generate revenue for the teams. The same amount of teams will go to bowl games, but they will be playing for something beyond a bowl win.

This could bring forth a viability to these teams and it could bring forth a viability to a playoff system.

Here's why:

The FCS doesnt have viability in this system, because their teams rarely compete against FBS teams, and in addition, when they do...they rarely win. Mid-Major teams, that routinely play games against BCS schools and compete with them would gain the viability to this. There may even be a chance that they coach poach some teams from the Big 6 conferences. I understand that a school like Vanderbilt and Washington State and insert other miserable big 6 school here make money for being in the conference...but being good in a different conference may make them more money...Moreso, the knowledge they wont reach a bowl with their current structure knowing they could get to and win in a playoff could generate post-season buzz they havent hadd in years...

Taking the BCS out of their plans and the BCS championship or even BCS bowls that they very rarely reach, and if they do, get the lesser of the bowls (0 Rose Bowls, 0 National Championship Games) of the BCS.

They could do it because teams like UCF play schools like Florida State and compete. Schools like Ohio, Houston, etc... that are consistently good...but go to junk bowls, can get a championship of sorts.

If you could develop a team within it like a Boise State or a TCU or whoever that has the potential to disrupt the BCS with their season to beat a few GOOD Big 6 schools, they could make things happen in the college football landscape.

The biggest hurdle to it being no damaging would be if big 6 schools stopped scheduling the good teams in the conferences, or any team in the conferences and instead stick to playing against each other.

I think it could really work to really eventually lead to a national championship

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Mountain West/C-USA Merger

Link Copied to Clipboard