Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Mayock: Vontaze Burfict is not a first-round player “at all”
Posted by Evan Silva on February 15, 2012, 5:27 PM EST
Missouri Tigers v Arizona State Getty Images

Arizona State linebacker Vontaze Burfict appeared to be trending toward a future top-ten draft prospect when he was voted first-team All-American as a true sophomore. Burfict wasn’t even honored as an All-Pac 12 pick as a junior, however, and his production slipped mightily across the board.

NFL Network’s Mike Mayock has watched Burfict’s games. And he isn’t impressed.

“I’m not a fan at all,” Mayock said of Burfict on Wednesday’s conference call with the media. “I just watched a bunch of his tape the other day. I came away unimpressed.”

Burfict has been criticized for off-field issues as well as his on-field self control, committing a high number of personal foul penalties. Mayock said he tried to filter out Burfict’s off- and on-field character when breaking down the player.

“His instincts aren’t good,” Mayock added. “He gets enveloped by bigger bodies and he runs around blocks. … For a big, strong guy, he’s nowhere near as strong at the point of attack as I thought he’d be.

“I don’t see first round at all.” web page

-------------------------------
I was ripping this kid all season and took a ton of heat for it and soon after posting this I will read but Kiper has him 15th. That really shows what Kiper knows. Kid shouldn't even be drafted.

Legend
Legend
Called this one weeks ago. Not surprised.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
As I said before...your bet on this one is safe.

I watched a couple games this year keying on him. Was very disappointed compared with what I saw a year before.

Like he was playing with the life sucked out of him or something.

[Linked Image]
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
He said the same thing about Alshon Jeffery too, and said "Luck is great, but not a once in a lifetime prospect". Same site...PFT

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Mid-to-Late First. Tier 1 ILB...according on draft sight

another projects Burfict as a 3rd rounder and 3rd best ILB behind Keuchly of BC and Hightower of Bama.

...anyone remember LeGarrette Blount?...they sure were wrong about him...Tampa Bay got a gem for nothing..UFA
...1007 yds as a rookie
...781 yds in 2011

You want to be careful about hanging labels on without doing your homework.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
problem is a lot of these so called experts like Kiper don't spend 5 minutes watching these kids and then project them to be allstars and everyone else tends to follow suit.

Burfict was 15th on kipers big board last i checked. Then you have Coples who totally freaking sucked and is being hearlded as a top 10 prospect. Umm whY???? What part of the dude sucks equates top 10 talent? Zach Brown was worse than Burfict but he runs fast so he must be a first rounder.

Devon Still was serviceable all year but lets rank him ahead of a guy like Alameda Teamu because he was on a bad defensive team and everyone ran away from his side.

I dont mind taking a kid with questions about maturity. I don't like taking players that are stupid and or lazy. Burfict was stupid and Coples and Brown are lazy. It is why you don't draft the Vince Young's of the world.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
well said

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Burfict will fall to the 3rd..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Hey mac Blount was projected to be a 3rd rounder until he sucker punched the Boise St player. He didn't play his senior year and had major character concerns.
That's why he went undrafte, not because of his play on the field.

I watched 4 ASU games this last season including the bowl game. I also came away completely unimpressed. I'm not a fan of his at all. Dude was garbage this season and benched in his schools bowl game. Hardly high praise for a supposed first round lber.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
Legend
Legend
Mayock said yesterday about Coples something like "I put on his senior tape and I saw nothing to give him a first, second, or third round grade. His junior tape is much better, but you don't see it at all in his senior tape."

Legend
Legend
I agree with this.

Although the kid has a low IQ he gives 200% effort which sometimes is a problem with him.

Legend
Legend
In the NFL though, you have to be able to comprehend more than simply, "go fetch".

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

In the NFL though, you have to be able to comprehend more than simply, "go fetch".

thats a tad dependent on the scheme. I get ur point though.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Mayock: Vontaze Burfict is not a first-round player “at all”

Link Copied to Clipboard