Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
So, ESPN3D doesn't have enough new content for 24/7 coverage, and they tend to replay old events they've covered. Fortunately for me, thay've been showing a lot of college football recently, so I've decided to watch the games keeping an eye out for the draftable propects. One of the really nice things about it is they like to use the behind-the QB camera and the on top of the goalpost camera which can let you see more of the field than some of the more traditional elevated sideline views. I didn't take really detailed notes for the first game that I watched, but here's what I had.

Capital One Bowl: Nebraska v. South Carolina

NEBRASKA:
CB #5 Alfonso Dennard:
-Played with good physicality all game until getting thrown out.
-Definitely started the altercation leading to his and Jeffrey's expulsion from the game. Threw two punches to Jeffrey's one shove.
-Fought off blocks from WRs (almost always Jeffrey) but (as CBs often are) was easily swept out by the FB.
-A couple plays where he had very good coverage on Jeffrey, but the catch was still made.
-Was not covering Jeffrey on the deep pass at the end of the first half that turned the game around.
Summary: Overall, he actualy played a really good game before getting himself kicked out. However, a lot of the contact he was making with receivers on routes would be illegal contact in the NFL. How good is he without that in his repetoire? It probably was worse for South Carolina than Nebraska that he was booted, since that's basically equivalent to shutting down their best wideout, but for the most part Dennard was winning his matchups with Jeffrey. There were two times where Jeffrey beat Dennard deep though. One of the two went incomplete on a bad throw. He really struggled in coverage in senior bowl practices, though, so he might be limited to the bigger, physical type wideouts like Jeffrey.

LB #4 Lavonte David:
-First play of the game, he was beaten in coverage on a shallow crossing route (which is practically impossible to defend anyways,) but he chased down the receiver and stripped the ball with an underhanded club from behind. He really does seem to have a knack for knocking the ball loose (see strip of Miller v. Ohio State.)
-Made a great TFL on 3rd and Goal from the half yard line.
-Chased down runner on the opposite side of the field 24 yards downfield.
-Walled off and washed out by FB on run to left
-Responsible for covering RB out of backfield in red zone, was victimized by downfield blocking by FB (aka OPI) before the pass which was not called. Easy TD.
-Made a nice stuff on a run play in the 4th quarter
Summary: David is a guy who can get upfield very fast and is a solid tackler. He's looking for opportunities to knock the ball out when he's coming from the side or from behind. He's got good makep speed. He is, however, easily washed out by blockers. He's not going to shed many blocks and when guys got their hands on him he was ineffective. I don't know how much is physical and how much is him being locked onto the ball, but it looks like that's what you're going to get with him. Saw the same thing v. Ohio State.

DE Jared Crick: Injured -- Not playing

SOUTH CAROLINA:
WR #1 Alshon Jeffrey:
-Beat Dennard deep early on a deep route, but pass was off target and incomplete.
-Dennard frustrating Jeffrey most of first half with tough, physical coverage.
-Beats Dennard deep making catch with great horizontal arm extension and long YAC, taking ball inside 10 from inside own 20. Really made the most out of his big frame on that play.
-Last play of first half, wins jump ball 50 yards downfield, turns and dives into the end zone. That was a game changing play. I have no idea why Dennard wasn't assigned to him after playing really good coverage for most of the half.
Summary: Really didn't deserve to be thrown out for his role in the altercation with Dennard. All he did was shove him after Dennard took a swing at his head. Dennard then tried to throw another punch then the refs stepped in and kicked them both out. He didn't get separation often but the guy was a big play waiting to happen every snap. I wish I could watch more SC games because Dennard is already not one of the quickest DBs, I'd like to see his snap-by-snap running to see if he's able to get open against quicer corners.

DE #6 Melvin Ingram:
-Was blocked out of most plays 1 on 1.
-He had one really big hit in the run game.
-Garbage time sack when they all started piling on. Nebraska's last four offensive snaps were all sacks.
Summary: Ingram seems to have really benefitted from playing on what may have been the best defensive line in football. By the end of the game, the SC D-Line was just teeing off on "T-Magic." I think he will probably be overdrafted because of this. I definitely don't see a top-15 player when I watch him in this game. The presence of Jadaveon Clowney on the other side, as well as the pressure they were getting from the interior, was just overwhelming. He wasn't a big presence in the run game either. i just don't see a special player here.

S #26 Antonio Allen:
-Played gunner in punt coverage
-played most of the game up near the line of scrimmage
-made a couple nice hits in the run game at the line of scrimmage
-nice tackle for loss
-chase/tackle Taylor Martinez near goal line on big run (offensive) left after lining up at LB depth outside the LDE
-Great Blitz with good technique! Hand went straight to the ball as he wrapped with the other arm and brought down the QB
-nice TFL getting to the ballcarrier on a dump pass.
Summary: He's a guy who caught my eye at the Senior Bowl for playing really good coverage in drills. He was easily the best player in this game, and most of what he did came up near the line of scrimmage. He seems to be a real two-skill safety in that he's good against both the run and the pass. i think he is a really undervalued prospect and if he is there when we pick in the third I think we need to take him. If we didn't have as many needs as we do, I may have pushed for him in the second. He is legit.

CB #5 Stephon Gilmore:
-Returned blocked PAT for 2 points. Good athleticism to scoop the ball and run the distance with good balance.
-Fought off block well and made the stop on a run to the outside
-Called for PI on a deep pass when he didn't need to interfere (didn't see the ball)
-had a nice TFL
-could have stopped a reverse for -10 yards, but missed the tackle and the play ended up going for 15.
Summary: Seemed to play better against the run than in coverage. I don't really see top-50 in him, which is where most of the internet seems to have him ranked. Not in the same class as the top guys by a longshot. I like my CBs to cover.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Arizona at Oklahoma State: Sept 8th, 2011

Players Watched:
ARIZONA:
QB #8 Nick Foles
Juron Criner, WR -- injured, not playing

OKLAHOMA STATE:
WR #81 Justin Blackmon
QB #3 Brandon Weedon
RT #73 Levy Adcock
SS #10 Markelle Martin

1ST QUARTER:
- #81 nice cut block to open up big hole for RB, 42 yard gain
- #8 shotgun every play (eventually ran some under center snaps on 3rd and short)... looks to set his feet before he throws, which can delay his passes (I'm no expert, but seemed like he needs to improve footwork to minimize that)
- #8 good job avoiding pressure, rolls right and hits receiver for first down. Good arm strength, not elite.
- #81 nice catch in traffic on a post route. Follows it up sitting down in a hole in the zone in a hook route for the completion on next play.
- #73 Very solid in pass pro all quarter, nice recognition on a zone blitz run by AZ.
- #73 got away with a hold on a run off-tackle to his side
- #81 used frame perfectly/nice body position to wall off defender for TD on fade route. Caught the ball over his shoulder.
- #3 crisp, solid passes all 1st quarter, but nothing overthrown. Saw no pressure at all the whole first quarter. Every snap out of the shotgun. Only one incompletion in first quarter.
- #10 nice TFL on pass to WR in flat.
- #81 great spin move off slant, turns 7 yard gain into almost 30. Really turns on the jets once he gets the ball in his hands.

2ND QUARTER:
- #3 sacked by turf monster on 3 step drop out of shotgun snap. Really don't get to see much footwork as a lot of his throws have been basically thrown from the spot he received the snap. Has been very efficient.
- #8 Constantly under pressure. Passes look almost as good as Weedon's when he has time. Pretty good at scrambling to avoid pressure. Doesn't try to break the plane, but wants to pass. More of the type to leave the pocket under pressure than feel the rush and move within the pocket. Made a couple nice throws on the run.
- #81 Dropped a skinny post deep over the shoulder after getting behind the defense. Nice throw by #3, #81 waited just slightly for the ball to keep his body between the ball and the defenders, but that just made it a tougher catch than it had to be.
- Nice series for #8. Throws an early rope on a 9 route to hit the receiver between the corner and the safety in a cover 2. Anticipates the throw on a 12-yard out for a first down.
- #81 great at making people miss when he has the ball!
- #3 didn't feel pressure from his blidside and got away with a backwards pass/fumble which was ruled incomplete. Arizona continued to bring pressure at the end of the first half and Weedon started to struggle.

QBs combine for 46 / 55 in the first half for more than 400 yards passing. Pretty good performance from both guys with different results due to different teams around them.

3RD QUARTER
- #8 nice deep ball on a nine route, then sailed an out route.
- #3 losing a lot of accuracy when facing pressure, made one really bad throw over the middle that should have been picked.
- #10 nice PBU, nice open field tackle on AZ hook & ladder
- #8 nice pump fake to free up post for > 20yd.
- #81 knocked down at LOS on pass play
- #81 another 7 yard gain turned into 20 yard by breaking initial tackle and making second guy miss on slant. Next play, #81 catches mid-depth crossing route. Next play is effortless fade for TD. Completions to #81 four straight plays leading to TD. Blackmon looks like ideal WCO receiver.
- #8 really nice deep pass for 50. Couple instances where hesitant to throw to open receivers. Comfotable throwing on the run.

4TH QUARTER
- #8 had receiver open over the middle deep for 20, had pass knocked down.
- #8 scrambled on 4th and 10, tackled after 3 yards. He kind of looks like Napoleon Dynamite.
- saw #73 holding on pass pro for first time. Has really had an outstanding game.
- #3 nice lob to wide open slot receiver against unblocked blitz. Good poise to get pass off with good mechanics and take hit.
- #8 beautiful deep pass on double move by wideout
- #3 bad throw behind slot man slant/skinny post route, should have been picked.

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
great work dude..its like reading some of Eotab's stuff without the ego and arrogance.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

great work dude..its like reading some of Eotab's stuff without the ego and arrogance.

I find your post way out of line !

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Florida State at Clemson: Sept 24, 2011

Players Watched:
CLEMSON:
#98 DT Brandon Thompson
#40 DE Andre Branch
#83 TE Dwayne Allen
#94 DE Rennie Moore

FLORIDA STATE:
#67 OT Andrew Datko
#77 OT Zebrie Sanders
#13 LB Nigel Bradham
#1 CB Mike Harris
* - #49 DE Jenkins looks like a possible top 50 player for next year's draft in this game.

1ST QUARTER:
- #67 pushes #40 out of the play on off-tackle run
- #77 holds up #40 rush well
- #40 uses hands to disengage from #67, good technique
- #98 flipped on his back by FSU RG for 6 yard gain up the middle
- #67 beat on swim move by Clemson #94 to get quick pressure on QB
- #94 pushes #77 into the backfield, #98 well-blocked by interior OL
- #67 blocks #40 well on 2nd down pass, #94 again good bull rush pushing #77 back into QB
- #67 solid blocking on 3rd down, pass incomplete
- #13 in on pile on 3rd down stop on run
- #1 burned deep on skinny post
- Clemson QB sneak for TD right at #13
- #67 nice pass block on #40
- #77 pulls left, got lateral quickly, then had cement shoes trying to get upfield
- #67 killing #93 in pass pro
- #77 uncomfortable shuffling back from the line to pick up corner blitz... desperate to keep tachnique, but not very agile. #98 and #40 unable to provide pressure on the play.
- #67 great help walling in #40 on stunt on long TD pass.

2ND QUARTER:
- #13 really nice PBU on left sideline covering #83
- #1 burned by Clemson #1 on 9-route
- #83 running upfield can't locate a defender to block
- #13 nice tackle for short gain after shedding FB!
- #83 beats safety to out route for 11 yd TD. Nice hands catch.
- #34 OLB Clemson makes terrific athletic pick leaping up to pick pass on rollout
- #13 really nice open field tackle on dump to RB
- #13 sticks with #83 in coverage
- #40 frustrated by #67, lines up wider than normal to edge rush but stuffed again
- #97 DE Clemson has been very active all game, pushes TE back and makes TFL while #77 helps on DT. Not sure if scheme or poor recognition by #77.
- #77 False Start
- #67 beats #40 again, #98 still getting no pressure
- #67 got to second level quickly and made nice block
- #13 dropped INT
- #13 nice switch off in zone coverage
- #77 beat inside by #40
- #98 nice stuff up middle on 3rd & short
- #1 beat on deep comeback, bad effort
- #49 good blitz beating LT for sack
- #13 fights off block to help with tackle on draw

3RD QUARTER:
- #13 helps with tackle on WR screen
- #49 looks comfortable dropping into coverage on zone blitz
- #83 draws PI call on #13, ball was not catchable
- #83 got open on out v. #13, makes catch. #13 makes tackle.
- #83 false start
- #98 tackle at LOS on zone run left
- #98 good off snap, double teamed most of game
- #67 still owns #40
- #67 handles spin from #94 well
- #13 fights off block, goal line stop
- #77 nice block on #97, #67 still whipping #40
#77 goes to ground after hold on #97 edge rush, #67 initially punched back but good recovery v. #40

4TH QUARTER:
- #83 good arm extension on reception
- Clemson #2 burns #1 on 9 route for TD
- #40 draws holding penalty
#83 great post route, then making people miss. Reminds me of Brandon Pettigrew or maybe Alge Crumpler.
- #98 in on pressure for sack to end game

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Arizona St. @ Oregon: Oct 15, 2011

Players Watched:
ARIZONA STATE
#17 QB Brock Osweiler
#7 LB Vontaze Burfict
#8 WR Gerell Robinson
#1 WR Mike Willie

OREGON
#80 WR Tuinei
#5 QB Darron Thomas injured during game
RB Lamichael James -- injured, not playing

1ST QUARTER
- #17 delivers two nice passes under pressure, both dropped
- #17 one more nice pass at a low arm angle on 3rd down, but was short of first
- #7 slow on coverage, can't run down receiver crossing
- #17 short on dump off / safety valve
- #17 hits hot receiver on rush
- #17 really nice 20-yd out to #8
- #7 is playing angry... stop at LOS
- #7 reads option wrong, rush for gain by #5
- #17 stares at receiver for flare pass on 3rd & 11, results in punt
- AZ St #9 S Clint Floyd fights off block, tackles WR for loss on screen
- #7 called for personal foul for late hit on TE. Kind of a cheap call. TE had stepped out, but kept running an no whistle until after Burfict was pulling him to ground.
- #17 nice slant to #1
- #17 nice slant to #8, catch in traffic for 1st down.
- #17 throws deeper slant either on 2nd read or after looking off safety at snap. He moves his eyes around quite a bit... doesn't stare down receiver like most 1 read / dump offenses out of the shotgun.
- #8 nice block on screen
- #17 perfect 9 route to #1 who pushed off DB for separation downfield
- #7 reads ball action well, but then is wiped out of play by pulling OG's cut block. #80 called for illegal crackback block
- #7 another good run read, gets to point of attack well on this play
- #5 skies pass over #80's head on 3rd down. Herbstreit says it's misocmmunication but it looked like just a really bad pass to me.
- #17 on this play tucked after first read was covered and lumbered back to LOS.
- #17 follows it up with good patience on the next play, checks down over the middle shallow cross for first down.

2ND QUARTER
- #17 tried to change play at the line. Didn't work out as he is sacked while RG is blocking air on blitz.
- #7 big hit on RB at LOS to take him out of the play on a pass
- #5 rolls right out of pressure, hurls ball downfield to open spot of end zone. #80 runs it down with nice catch for TD.
- #17 nice pass to #1 on 3rd down for 1st
- #17 hits #8 over the middle on 2nd read
- #17 doesn't see #8 running slant wide open over the middle and throws slant to covered wideout on same side of the field. This play was broadcast from the end zone on the defenders' side of the field, so you could see that #8 was eally wide open.
- #7 late hit out of bounds personal foul (2nd one), just kind of slammed into tackler/runner just outside of the line. He just seems very frustrated and unaware of his surroundings. Almost feel bad for him.
- #5 terrible pass sailed again, INT.
- #17 looks off safety, pass to #8, who does not do a good job of keeping his feet.
- #17 goes back to #8 who can't haul in the contested pass in the end zone.
- #7 out of position in run. Fom here on out, he really just seems dejected and out of the game.
- #17 fires nice pass on 3rd & 3
- #8 makes contested catch over the middle, then gets called for unsportsmanlike conduct
- #17 throws deep to #1 who falls down. Ball is picked by #13 Cliff Harris. #17 tackles #13, forcing fumble, but fumble oges out of bounds.
- AZ ST #1 out of position on pass, #7 chases down receiver

At halftime, they're interviewing Chip Kelly on the field. My wife says "he's like an alcoholic baby."

3RD QUARTER
- #5 nice pass over the middle
- #7 slow to read run, tackles 7 yd downfield
- #7 another bad read to give up big run
- TD run straight up the middle at #7. Head doesn't even seem in the game anymore.
- #17 contested throw with good accuracy on 12 yard out broken up by safety on 3rd down.
- #17 frustrated, throws into double coverage incomplete
- #17 throws nice post under pressure for 1st down, #8 gets a weak OPI call against him
- #7 makes 2 nice stops on D up the middle
- #17 panicked on 2nd down after #8's route runs him into the ref
- #17 runs into sack on 3rd down
- #7 seems emotionally checked out

4TH QUARTER
- #17 steps up ni the pocket well, then throws to a spot where two WRs converge. That's almost always an incompletion.
- #17 steps up again against rush, hits #8 who turns it into a big gain then runs out of bounds and levels Santa Claus.
- #17 fires pass into #8's gut, but it gets broken up by DB
- #17 looks off DB, then fires pass to #8 who drops it.
- #7 still not playing well
- #17 scrambles for 13 on 3rd and 15
- #7 has to lunge for tackle... no longer playing with intensity shown at beginning of game
- #17 steps up in pocket well and fires 1st down to #8
- #17 hits slot receiver for hot 1st down
- AZ St #6 RB has been running hard all night, but not good with blitz pickup
- #17 every snap has been from shotgun
- #17 throws TD on 2nd read to open man who bobbles the ball which is then picked. Game over.

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
For people who want to watch specific videos btw, I should put out that there are 10s of GBs of prospect footage on youtube. For a couple good places to start:

http://www.youtube.com/user/phillyjimmyphilms?feature=watch
http://www.youtube.com/user/JPDraftJedi#g/u
http://www.youtube.com/user/JmpasqDraftjedi#g/u
http://www.youtube.com/user/TMBDraft?feature=watch

~Lyuokdea
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Main takeaways from the above games:

1) Brock Osweiler, Nick Foles, and Brandon Weeden all played in very similar offenses in taht almost all of their snaps come from single-back shotgun formations Osweiler had some more pistol-ish plays with 2 or 3 guys in the backfield, but was never under center. Weeden's accuracy was marginally better than the other two guys, but he faces less pressure behind that line. He was able to throw knowing he'd get hit the best. Brock Osweiler showed the most in terms of quickly moving through different reads and has the strongest arm. He also had very good movement within the pocket avoiding the hit. Nick Foles avoided pressure well and also has a pretty strong arm, but scrambled a whole lot. He also took too long from the point he decided to throw it to the point the ball came out.

2) I see why everyone was so impressed with Levy Adcock. The guy can really move on the right side of the line. I can't believe he wasn't invited to the combine. Datko is also very good and way better than Sanders.

3) Antonio Allen is a terrific all-around player and will be a good pickup for someone at safety. I think he's underrated.

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Games from this Season with an Eye on the Prospects

Link Copied to Clipboard