Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
ThatGuy #665591 03/02/12 08:31 AM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

The weird thing is, him coming out ad throwing for 480 yards and 6tds, somehow HURT him, perception wise...

I don't know why, but I think that the perception has been put out there by those that want the Browns to pass on even giving him a look. They claim that he had the best receivers in the league to throw to. That's arguable. Could just be the system, his knowledge of it and other factors like that.

It would help to have two QBs on the staff that understand the system (Flynn & McCoy) on the roster. I'd cut Seneca Wallace this weekend.

We could get Flynn on the relative cheap (dare I say, cheaper than RG3) and he's got a couple years of development on RG3 already. McCoy also has that benefit and bringing in Flynn would allow McCoy to get the chance to sit and learn that he was intended to receive but didn't.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

It would help to have two QBs on the staff that understand the system (Flynn & McCoy) on the roster. I'd cut Seneca Wallace this weekend.

Yeah, that makes sense. Wallace knows the system as well as any qb in the league.

Quote:

We could get Flynn on the relative cheap (dare I say, cheaper than RG3)

In terms of resources? Maybe. In terms of dollars? Nope. Not close. Look at newton's contract last year. Flynn has been expected to go something like 5 years, 50'million. Could that be hype? Sure. But those are the numbers that are out there for a reason.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

I don't know why, but I think that the perception has been put out there by those that want the Browns to pass on even giving him a look. They claim that he had the best receivers in the league to throw to. That's arguable. Could just be the system, his knowledge of it and other factors like that.

We could get Flynn on the relative cheap (dare I say, cheaper than RG3) and he's got a couple years of development on RG3 already. McCoy also has that benefit and bringing in Flynn would allow McCoy to get the chance to sit and learn that he was intended to receive but didn't.

anarch...I could not agree more with every point you made...

Signing Flynn would allow the Browns to save their #4, 22, 37 to address the needs on offense..WRs, Oline OR to address one of the defensive needs..DE, LB or CB. Heckert could use two of the top picks to address needs on offense and one to address a defensive need.

I don't know how much Wallace makes, but it seems logical to cut him and use that money to help land Flynn.

Adding Flynn would allow the Browns to continue with their rebuild via the draft philosophy while adding a QB who would not require a year or two of learning the WCO.

It just makes more sense to address 4 positions...one in free agency and 3 in the draft...

...rather than addressing 1 position at a cost of 4, 22, 37.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #665594 03/02/12 10:40 AM
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
"It just makes more sense to address 4 positions"

I kinda agree with this,but in my thinking I leave out the "more".So it makes sense to address 4 positions.
The bee in my bonnet is this question "how good is good enough?"
Can a team win it all with an avg.or slightly above Qb? = Flynn
Or do you need a superstar? Witch from most accounts RG3 will become.
I do appreciate all the info many of you have posted in 4000 QB threads currently running on here,it will be helpful in my determination on which direction I believe the team should go.
For the 1st time in a long,long time,I'm confident they are going to make the correct decision.And that,of coarse,will pissoff half the people on here.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
N
Legend
Legend
N
yeah, the announced media dollars would be 5years for $50mil. but, look at what came out about Kolb's similar deal. it was basically a 1yr $10mil guaranteed contract with 2012 guaranteed for another $10mil if he's in camp with AZ.

So, basically, it's 5 successive 1year deals for $10mil each.

I agree that RGIII would be less than that in pure dollars, but his entire 4-5 year contract would be guaranteed (as is standard for top10 picks now)

#gmstrong
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, that makes sense. Wallace knows the system as well as any qb in the league.

Quote:

We could get Flynn on the relative cheap (dare I say, cheaper than RG3)

In terms of resources? Maybe. In terms of dollars? Nope. Not close. Look at newton's contract last year. Flynn has been expected to go something like 5 years, 50'million. Could that be hype? Sure. But those are the numbers that are out there for a reason.

Yup. Wallace knows the WCO better than Flynn and McCoy and it's not even close.

As for Flynn, the asking price for a guy who has started two games against bad defenses while surrounded with offensive talent like no other team in the NFL is going to be BIG. If the discussion is about picks, yeah, he'd be cheaper. Duh. In terms of money, Griffin is gonna most likely be cheaper.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
OverToad #665597 03/02/12 04:03 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
how do you know Wallace knows the WCO better than Flynn?

Seneca's been around a bit longer but there is no way to know which one knows it better at this point.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
It's a safe assumption.

Wallace has been in it his entire career.... which is 9 years now, with 62 games played - many as a starter. That's an awful long time to be in one single system.

Flynn has only four years in and half as many games.

It's quite likely that they both know it about as well as you can know it, but Wallace is absolutely more experienced.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

pundits in the NFL are * holes then...Including the Browns...

Pretty sure I didn't say that. YOU did, but I didn't.

However, your comment does lend itself to your inability to discuss what I have put out about RG.

N
Legend
Legend
N
that doesn't take into effect that different people are smarter than others.

i don't know that Flynn is any more intelligent than Seneca. But, I don't know that he is not either.

#gmstrong
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
How do I know the sun is gonna come up tomorrow? I can't know for sure but the evidence says it will.

How do I know Wallace understands more about the WCO than Flynn? I can't know for sure but based on the fact that Wallace was learning the WCO in the NFL since Matt Flynn was in high school, I'd be willing to bet just about anything he does.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Legend
Legend
I fully realize all of that, but with absolutely nothing else to go on, it is still a safe assumption.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

OverToad #665603 03/02/12 05:32 PM
Legend
Legend
Back to the point about whether Wallace deserves to stay on the roster... If he's so brilliant in the WCO then somebody would have picked him up to be the starter somewhere.. I don't care how much he understands it, it seems that he can't take that understanding and get it to translate into production on the field... We don't need a coach in a helmet, we need QBs who can play and grow...

So if you think he can PLAY better than Colt, then keep Wallace.. if you just think he knows the system better but can't win games if needed, then cut him...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
He's the perfect backup, because he's good enough to run the team for a couple of weeks, and knows how to make sure that everyone is lined up right, knows the reads, and all of that kind of stuff ..... but he's not so good that he risks splitting the team like the Holcomb/Couch situation did. (well, as long as we have a good QB anyway)

He's just flawed enough that no one expects him to be a full time starter. I can't remember the last guy who was 5'10", and started regularly at QB in the NFL.

Even Sipe was 6'1". (and for those who want to feel really old ....... Sipe is now 62 years old.)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Nah, I don't think there's a choice here. You keep the cheaper, younger guy in McCoy who may possibly have upside over the more expensive, older guy who has no upside.

Legend
Legend
You don't keep a worse back-up because you are afraid the starter can't separate himself and a QB controversy would ensue.. How bad would we have to be for people to be calling for Wallace to start? Oh yea, some did that this year.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
However, Wallace has shown himself to be very effective in that backup role as well.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
OverToad #665608 03/02/12 06:06 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Maybe so, but from reports he doesn't seem very willing to share that knowledge with teammates.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If a guy thats been in the league as long as Wallace doesn't know to down the freaking ball when time is running out to end the half and you're inside the five, he doesn't need to be on the roster.

Jester #665610 03/02/12 06:12 PM
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Quote:

Maybe so, but from reports he doesn't seem very willing to share that knowledge with teammates.

Exactly. Maybe he was keeping his career backup "knowledge" hidden, so as not to help his competition at qb.

Seriously - a 9? 10 year vet? Being that dumb?

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

However, Wallace has shown himself to be very effective in that backup role as well.

how so? he's had some dumb quotes to the media and he apparently doesn't help Colt.

when he has played for the Browns:

2010 1-3 63% 4TDs 2INTs 6.9YPA 88.5QBrating
2011 0-3 51% 2TDs 2INTs 5.3YPA 65.4QBrating

I think we can go 1-6 with those stats if we decide to draft a QB in a later round if something happens to Colt (that guy from TN-CH perhaps).

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

how do you know Wallace knows the WCO better than Flynn?

Must be because Wallace came from Seattle and Holmgren wanted him here. Of course, McCoy beat him out for the job even with Holmgren & Shurmur (both who are supposed to be WCO gurus). Seems to me that he's not as good as McCoy in the WCO after having been in the system for years.

Quote:

Seneca's been around a bit longer but there is no way to know which one knows it better at this point.

The Colt McCoy haters will just say, "But...but...but..."

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) RGIII Part III

Link Copied to Clipboard