Next Thread
Print Thread
#667500 03/04/12 06:31 PM
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Every thread seems to either be QB or gets hijacked to the topic of QB lately. I'd like to discuss some other positions too.

Like Safety:
Is Adams in or gone? Will another team see his value or will we re-sign him first?
Did Usama Young show you enough to be a starter?
Should we move Sheldon Brown?
How do we upgrade Safety in 2012?

CB:
Should we replace Sheldon Brown?
Do you go with a rookie opposite Haden?
Is Dimitri Patterson a starter?

DE:
What's the answer at DE opposite Sheard?

TE:
Are we set at Tight End with Moore, Cameron, Gronkowski and Smith?

WR:
Who would you keep? Norwood, Cribbs and Little?
Is WR the biggest need (excluding QB)?

RB:
Hillis controversy aside, do we keep him?
Did Ogbonnaya earn a spot going forward?
Is Brandon Jackson (the forgotten man) the real deal?
Hardesty, Hardesty, Hardesty...???

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Like Safety:
Is Adams in or gone? Will another team see his value or will we re-sign him first?

Pool is a free agent... just saying

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Like Safety:

I think that the team will try to re-sign Adams, but if they can't, I think they will go with Brown/Young at Safety.

Young did not impress me a great deal last year, but he was hurt early on and played catch-up.

I don't think that we'll make a big move, either in the draft, nor in free agency at the position. I know the team likes Ward a lot, and I think that they also like Hagg.

Quote:

CB:

I think that Patterson could be a starter. I definitely think that we should bring him back if we can. I suspect that we will draft a CB in 1-3 of this draft. If the team does not go QB in the first round, then I could see them going with Claiborne.

Quote:

DE:

I think that we'll draft a DE somewhere in the 2-4 rounds. I don;t see us throwing a ton of money into the position, as Heckert has said that he feels that you can fins pass rushers later in the draft.

I do not expect us to be a player in the Mario Williams sweepstakes.

Quote:

TE:

Did something happen to Watson? I think that Moore is a role player. Smith is the opposite role from Moore, decent pass threat and a very solid blocker. Who knows about Cameron or Gronkowski? I wouldn't expect them to put a lot of time and energy into this position this year.

Quote:

WR:

Hmm ....... tough question.

I remember back to Massaquoi's rookie year, with his 624 yards, and 18.4 yards/reception, and wonder if he can be that guy again. I think that's the biggest question here.

Cribbs makes the team based on special teams. I think that Norwood is the best overall WR right now. Little is a draft pick from last year, and he's not going anywhere. I suspect that we will sign a veteran WR who still has several years left. maybe we take a guy later .... maybe they think about developing Mitchell for another year. I don't see us going for a WR in the 1st round.

Quote:

RB:

Oh what a muddled mess we have here.

I think that we should keep Hillis, but do not believe he will be back. I think that the team believes that Hardesty will be back. I could see us going into the season with Hardesty, Ogbonnaya, and Jackson at RB. That would make me extremely nervous. I have read that the team likes Smith, and thinks that he is coming along. I really have no flippn's clue what we'll do here. I just think that this position could be the one that really bites us this year. of course, I thought that we were going to be in good shape this past year at RB ...... so who knows?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Every thread seems to either be QB or gets hijacked to the topic of QB lately. I'd like to discuss some other positions too.

Like Safety:

Brown is still under contract,, he either stays at CB or moves to safety and I think Adams is here for another year

CB:
Should we replace Sheldon Brown? If we don't do any trades to move up, I hope we take Claiborn... talk about a solid set in the back
Do you go with a rookie opposite Haden? Yes, Claiborn
Is Dimitri Patterson a starter? I don't honestly know, but if we don't go Claiborn, we'll probably find out.

DE:
What's the answer at DE opposite Sheard? that's a second round pick or at 22

TE:
Are we set at Tight End with Moore, Cameron, Gronkowski and Smith? for now I think we are

WR:
Who would you keep? Norwood, Cribbs and Little? Yes
Is WR the biggest need (excluding QB)? I think WR is a bigger need than QB,, ok, let's the rocks fly LOL

RB:
Hillis controversy aside, do we keep him? Yes
Did Ogbonnaya earn a spot going forward? What else is available
Is Brandon Jackson (the forgotten man) the real deal? I haven't forgotten him,, he'll help
Hardesty, Hardesty, Hardesty...??? Second year after his injury,, that's about the time that players really start to come back. he's signed, no harm in finding out..we'll see but lots of questions

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
Quote:

Like Safety:

CB:

DE:

TE:

WR:

RB:

Safety- Keep Adams for depth. Move Brown and add a late round pick at safety .
CB- If the FO thinks Patterson can be a starting CB then we should add a vet. in
FA.
I think OLB is where we could draft a guy and be O.K. with the vets we have.But DE we definately need to visit in FA as well as the draft.
I would even keep Massaqouai.I think he still has potential to be a strong part of our receiving corp.But we need a number one.
If we can hold on to Hillis and Jackson coming back we are fine at RB.We could draft a mid rounder to compete.But I think we gotta give Hardesty more time to show what he's got.

Legend
Legend
DBs in general:
I'm a little concerned about them not re-signing Mike Adams and Dmitri Patterson. I get this creepy, baseless feeling that Heckert is weirdly obsessed with comp picks, even if they turn out to be 6th and 7th rounders.

I'd prefer to have them both back.

Safety: I don't like Usama Young really.
Last year I felt like Sheldon Brown was checked out. I'm not concerned as much about his skills as I am about his effort an focus. I'd be fine to cut him if we needed the cap space.
Late-round draft target Tysyn Hartman from K-State. He was considered the leader of what was really a strong defense but his stock took a tumble after his concussion.

DE: If we sign a FA, I'd want it to be Williams. I'd be willing to offer him whatever we needed to to get it done. Even if he was our only FA signing (other than re-signing Hillis, Patterson, Adams.) Otherwise, I'd like us to pick one up at #22... Perry or Mercilus. If K Wright somehow fell to 22, I'd take him and cross my fingers for Curry at 37 or C Johnson at 68. Also look for a rotational backup later in the draft. Julian Miller is the guy I've had in my mind, but looking at CBS's rankings again, looks like his stock may be picking up some steam.

DT: Another late-round rotational guy... Jaye Howard. Although, his stock has been rising, too.

LB: I'd like a speedy but talented OLB to be picked up. Wagner? D Davis? Bradham? Thos are probably my top candidates.

TE: Set it and forget it.

WR: I'd keep Cribbs and Little stay. Let Norwood and Massaqoui battle for the 5th spot in camp. Draft 2 WRs... preferrably a 1st-round talent and a 4th- or 5th-round guy. Those picks aren't hard-and-fast... If we end up going Griffin and Mercilus in the 1st, there are a boatload of receivers I like in round 3-5, and we've got four picks in those rounds.

RB: Please bring secret agent man back. Ogbannaya hasn't earned anything. He's got to compete for a roster spot, too. Jackson I think has a clear role if healthy as a third-down COP back. Hillis is a three-down back, but he will need to be spelled, as well. I say bring in a mid-to-late-round RB and let him compete with Ogbannaya, Hardesty, and Aldon Smith for a spot. Though I am tempted to just let Hardesty walk. I'd hate for us to cut Smith after another strong preseason only to have Hardesty do down with injury in week 2.

RT: As much as I like Cordy Glenn, he'd have to be taken at 22 and probably won't even be there then. Mike Adams I'm a little "meh" on. I doubt there won't be a guy at 22 I wouldn't like more. I do like that he could serve as a backup for JT, though, if need be. With Datko's injury and Adcock not even being invited to the combine, I think we can pick one of those two guys at RT, and either one should be more than servicable.

N
All Pro
All Pro
N
Quote:

and I think that they also like Hagg.

I seem to remember reading something about this towards the end of last year. Could maybe he step in opposite of Ward? I do think that Sheldon Brown gets moved back to the Safety spot. That leaves us Ward, Adams, Young, Hagg, and Brown battling for 4 spots.

Maybe Brown gets let go???????

Born and breed with OSU, App. State alumni, but bleed orange and brown.

Go ARMY......Beat Navy!!!!!!
Legend
Legend
Brown is more of a big hitter DB, We have that in Ward already, we need that Ed Reed ball hawking FS to play center field...

Can Young be that? He seemed to be coming on towards the end of the year...

IMO we're basically running a 4-4-3

With Ward playing a hybrid LB and the other Safety playing/being a CB...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Quote:

Did something happen to Watson? I think that Moore is a role player. Smith is the opposite role from Moore, decent pass threat and a very solid blocker. Who knows about Cameron or Gronkowski? I wouldn't expect them to put a lot of time and energy into this position this year.

Yep, I forgot Watson. Even so, do the rest impress you?

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
Moore is purely a Pass Catcher, I think of him more of a Joe Jurevicius than an actual TE, I think he'd be more productive brought in split out than trying to pass him off as a TE...

Smith is a "great" guy to have as your 3rd TE. He can block well, and occasionally catch a ball.

Cameron I dunno, I'm not sure of how he fits, he's more of the pass catching TE that Moore is than anything, a guy that can split out and play WR occasionally.

as long as Ben Watson is here I'm fine with our TEs, it's when he leaves... eh...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Yep, I forgot Watson. Even so, do the rest impress you?

I think that it's fairly easy to find TEs. I don't see that as a premium offensive position. You can patch together guys who block or catch really well, and do the other task well enough to be effective.

Someone else asked about Hagg, and I really don't know a whole lot about him. He seemed to do OK at times last year, but I seem to recall him being out of position at times as well. I could be wrong about that though.

It seems like it's hard to find true, plus level safeties anymore.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
S:

- Brown is not a FS, he should be cut anyway after last season...he makes 3.7mil and is a 33yo CB...if he isn't part of 2013+ then I see no reason to keep him around for next season

- Adams is so meh...maybe re-sign him, maybe not...he's 31, so obv no part of the future too...I'd rather let the younger guys compete, even if it means some steps back in production for 2012...another day3 pick flyer like Hagg last draft, maybe B.Taylor, C.Thompson or T.Robinson...or Trulon Henry, the "Weeden" of the S class (27yo)

CB:

- We need to draft another starte caliber CB for the future, so 1 of our top 75 picks shold go to CB, no later than 1 of the 4th imho

- I'd try to re-sign Patterson...I don't think he can be planned with as starter but he's a good nickel-CB with spot starting abilities, as a no2 he's AVG at best imho, his value is as no3 and that's considered a starter too around the league these days...planning with him as no2 and Skrine a not3 would be "optimistic", I'd like more depth in case of injury...and as I mentioned, I'd cut Brown and draft another day 3 CB to compete with and eventually upgrade on Dockery

DE:

- M.Williams or Mathis in FA but would prefer another draft pick investment...don't like most of the options at #22 and #37...don't see the value in Mercilus, Perry or Branch...I'd take Curry at 37 but I consider the best value to be 1 of Bequette, McClellin or T.Crawford in the 3rd or 4th...since we have little depth I'd roll the dice on another pass rush only day 3 DE like J.Smith, Solomon, Blatnick, Francis, Alexander or if we feel very lucky Vernon (he has the makings of a Heckert 4th/5th round gamble pick imho)

TE:

- many don't realize that we have a below AVG group here..Watson is a below AVG no1, Moore is an AVG no 2 and Smith is incredibly overrated around here...I'd start with no re-signing him, let him become a no2 on some TE starved team and get his money...don't know what's available in FA, but I'd look since I think that Watson is toast..he's 30, with multiple concussions, in his last year before FA and I don't think we plan with him beyond this season...not a huge fan of the draft options but I'd look at Paulson late in day 3

WR:

- that one's easy for me: keep Little, Cribbs and Norwood...fire/trade Massa, sign a FA starter...preferably Colston and draft a mid round speedster. If we can't land a starter in FA, we have to pick a WR in the top 3 rounds AND a mid/late round speedster (incredibly deep class for that: Hilton, Jenkins, Broyles, Wright, Page etc)...there will be value throughout the draft for WR...Colston would solve most of our problems though, as he would allow to put the otehr guys to where they belong and have the most value to us: Little to no2, Cribbs to no.4/backup no2, Norwood to no.3 or probably 5 if a rook beats him out long term

RB:

- let Hillis go, sign Tolbert, draft a RB no earlier than the 4th (C.Gray please, perfect WCO fit and no2/3 RB)...that would be my plan A...I love D.Martin, but his stock has taken off and we'd have to invest that #37 on him...only way I do this is if we can't re-sign Hillis or get Tolbert...Adonis Thomas would be a decent comp pick

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
N
Legend
Legend
N
j/c

RT doesn't look like it can be fixed in FA. no halfway decent OTs available. And, noone wants another year of Pashos, right?

RT is an enigma to me in this draft class. I was never a big Mike Adams fan, Z.Sanders was so up and down I'm not really sold on him, and Adcock looked really good all year (but wasn't even invited to the friggin' combine).

I've read good things about Schwartz and Massie, but haven't seen enough of them (other than some youtube game packages).

I think we need to draft a RT in the top3 rounds and preferably top2 to be assured of having a guy we think can start. But, who that player should be is a big question mark to me.

Last edited by no_logo_required; 03/05/12 11:42 AM.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I think Sanders had a lot more down than up. not even the best OT on his team.

Demetrius Bell will probably be the best OT available in FA, so he will probably get more money than he's worth.

I think we can get Datko or Adcock in the 4th or 5th, and be set at the position. Unless all the draft soothsayers are wrong, one of those guy will be available around 130-150.

N
Legend
Legend
N
yeah, that's just strange to me on Adcock. from what I saw, I'd think that he could step in and start (with the usual rookie OT mistakes, but still). guys like that shouldn't last until the 4th round though, so I am not sure what I am missing on him.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Adcock had an injury but even before that I think most on here liked the kid a lot where as the rest of the world doesnt. I really like what I saw of him in pass blocking but just like Spread Qbs, it is hard to project a spread tackle that never got down in a 3 pt stance lol.

Legend
Legend
I only focused in on him for one game since Okie St has got so much to watch. It was against Arizona. Obviously their DL was nowhere near where it was the previous year with Reed and Elmore going to the pros, but I was very impressed with Adcock's movement skills.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Safety, I would prefer drafting a corner with long arms and moving him to safety. I like Mike Adams but I thought he played poorly last year. Hagg is intriguing. I thought he played pretty good at the end of the year but I still want a ball hawk for ovr the top coverage.

Corner , Sheldon is serviceable for another year. Would love Claiborne at 4 but thats a big investment in the secondary with 2 high firsts on CB. Probably best to wait for a big splash on CB but still look for bargains in the draft. I think we may find starter quality in the 3rd.

DE, I would go after Mario hard but when that failed draft one at 22 or 37 depends on value.

TE I love the kid from Louisiana lafayette Green. Not overly fast but he has great body control and hands. Should be a 4th rounder but I doubt we draft one this year as they are high on jordan cameron.

WR Pierre Garcon will be a Cleveland Brown. Mark it down. I think we will still draft one or two. Jordan white is my late round sleeper. SAnu, Dwight Jones or Jeffery will be in that area we took Little last year and will get strong consideration. Cribbs and Little are all we have that are worth spending anymore time on.

RB I would like to see Hillis back but he wont return. My best guess is Michael Bush in free agency will be the guy we go after. I gotta say Lamichael James is someone I am really starting to like also Turbin from Utah St. Just dont see us making a big splash on RB in the first.

RT. Find one in the 4th but I think Cordy Glenn at 22 is really possible.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

RT. Find one in the 4th but I think Cordy Glenn at 22 is really possible.

Yeah, I guess it's possible, but he'd have to make it past Cincy twice, who I see is trying to replace two OGs and SD, who has needs all over the OL especially with Dielman retiring. Those picks are 17, 18, and 21. Maybe Cincy goes Decastro and SD goes after pass rush first or a DE to replace Castillo. My co-worker who is a SD fan thinks it's a lock they go OL. Who knows, maybe they're the suckers who take Adams ahead of Glenn.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Riley Reiff is one that is probably gonna fall to that area as well with the DT's climbing someone has to fall.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Like Safety:

Usama Young played better at SS when TJ went down with injury, but he doesn't seem to have the instincts or range to play deep Safety. If we sign Adams I think that we can at least hold the course from last season.
Eric Hagg could be a Dark horse. I think that his physical skills are intriguing and if he can put it together mentally he might be an option for FS.
I'm not sure if Dockery has the frame to bulk up much, but he certainly needs to hit the weights and put on some muscle.

CB:

Dimitri Patterson is a (FA) guy I would like to see back this season. He could be a spot starter and nickel back.

Sheldon Brown has lost a step or two or three, but he has gotten a bad rap, I think. He's a heady player and is like having a Coach on the field, but I think it's time for a move to safety or Coaching.

CB is a deep position in this draft and I think we will add one by the Draft.
Buster Skrine played well for a rookie in sub packages and I think that will continue to be his nitch.

DE:

I think Curry could be this years Sheard, but I wouldn't rule out bringing in a FA DE. Perhaps not Williams or a bigger name, but this position has to be a high priority. I wouldn't mind Jeremy Mincey from Jacksonville. If they go to a 34 defense as has been rumored IIRC, then he would be an odd fit there. He plays the run well and also can rush the passer, but finding a base RDE is a bigger need and problem at this point.

TE:

Ideally Jordan Cameron
Will develop, but Watson is probably past his prime and Moore is the ... not so undercover WR and I like Smith's versatility, being able to play FB as well.
TE is the 'in' position trend, with many being a mismatch for most Safeties and LBers. I'm not so sure we have one of those type TE's though unless Cameron can meet those expectations.

WR:

I would keep all three of the above, after that I think that the others could have an uphill battle to make the cuts, because we will either Draft one or more and I think there is some really good FA WR to pick from as well.
Pierre Garcon would be great and add much need speed on the outside. I really like Colston as well although he is more in the mold of a Greg Little, Albeit a better or more complete mold.
To be fair to Little, I think he is a better runner after the catch.

"Is WR the biggest need (excluding QB)?"

I don't know if I would exclude the QB.
Yes I think a #1WR is a big need and perhaps a bigger one then QB ... If you consider Colt McCoy at least serviceable. We need a real go to play maker imo.

RB:

If we sign Hillis, then I don't foresee any major moves at RB.

If not I think we will bring in another threw FA or the Draft.

I also like Mike Tolbert.

[Linked Image]

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Other Than QB Thread

Link Copied to Clipboard