Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
These are the kinds of guys who make me nervous ...... late risers who blow up at the combine, and suddenly are much better than they really are.

Scouts identify 5 underrated Combine performers - CBSSports.com
http://rob-rang.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/13682485/35089976

Now that we've had a few days to fully digest the information overload that is the annual Scouting Combine, there are a few players who haven't received enough attention for strong efforts, according to my conversations with league personnel.

Every Combine conversation I've had with scouts has started with the obvious workout warriors -- Memphis defensive tackle Dontari Poe, Georgia Tech wideout Stephen Hill, Central Florida cornerback Josh Robinson and other, similarly well-publicized athletes. Considering their spectacular performances, it isn't surprising to see their stocks get a bump.

According to scouts. there are plenty of others flying under the national radar whose workouts helped solidify their grades. These are five who were mentioned multiple times.

ILB Tank Carder, TCU: Much like Boston College's Luke Kuechly, Carder has been type-cast as an instinctive, high-motor defender throughout his career but the two-time defending Mountain West Conference Defensive Player of the Year proved to be a much better all-around athlete at the Combine than anyone expected. The 6-2, 236 pound Carder clocked in a sub 4.70 time in the 40-yard dash (4.69 seconds officially) and demonstrated his agility in the three-cone (6.89) and short-shuttle drills (4.18) that some teams place a great deal of value in when scouting linebackers.

QB Austin Davis, Southern Miss: With NFLDraftScout.com's top four-rated quarterbacks either unable to unwilling to throw passes at the Combine, I thought one of the more fascinating elements of this year's workout would be to see which of the so-called second or third-tier passers would be able to take advantage of the extra attention. Having been one of a limited number of media members allowed inside the Lucas Oil Stadium workout for the QB workouts this year, I saw Davis pass the ball well to all levels of the field, showing surprising zip on intermediate routes and as impressive accuracy on the deep ball (a knock on his game entering the Combine) as any passer on the field.

OLB Shea McClellin, Boise State: Generally speaking, I agree with how the NFL identifies players when assigning them positions at the Combine. Several so-called 'tweeners like McClellin were asked to work out as defensive linemen. After being stunned with McClellin's progress in playing linebacker at the Senior Bowl, I was disappointed he wasn't identified as such at the Combine. His workout certainly showed off the straight-line speed (4.63) and change-of-direction skills (7.07 seconds in the three-cone drills) to handle this conversion. McClellin's speed, in fact, would have ranked him fourth among the 29 linebackers tested at the Combine -- and this is after measuring in at 6-3, 260 pounds.

RB Bernard Pierce, Temple: Pierce is one of the more interesting backs in the 2012 draft class because he's more of a finesse, zone-read back than the power option that his 6-0, 220 pound frame and school record 53 rushing touchdowns would indicate. The junior helped prove his unique athleticism with an underrated all-around performance at the Combine in which he measured in faster (4.49), quicker (7.07 seconds in the three-cone) and more explosive (123" broad jump) than some of the more highly regarded backs of this class.

CB Trevin Wade, Arizona: While officially credited with just a 4.59 time in the 40-yard dash, Wade was surprisingly cited by several league sources as having a strong Combine workout. Scouts mentioned Wade's fluidity in timed drills (4.0 seconds in the short shuttle) and position drills as more important indicators of his underrated cover-corner skills than his time in 40-yard dash. Wade was inconsistent at Arizona but finished his career on a high note with a strong senior campaign and is rated by some scouts among the top 100 prospects in the draft.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
I've always been a fan of Carder, made a custom NCAA 09 cover with him on it. He was the heart of that defense in the Rose Bowl.

I'd pick him up late (*checks*) WalterFootball has him going 3rd or 4th round...

I'd be ok spending one of our 4ths on him and his arm bands...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:

These are the kinds of guys who make me nervous ...... late risers who blow up at the combine, and suddenly are much better than they really are.

Interesting that you feel that way. I do too...however...I think those are mid-round guys and a flashy combine is relevant as long as one of these guys doesn't jump into Rds 1-3....that would be silly.

If I changed "at the combine" to "in their senior year" it would describe my many fears of taking RGIII at #4.

Note: I am NOT saying we should or should not take RGIII. I am drawing a correlation between similar thought processes. I am NOT trying to make this another RG III thread. Note the lack of purple color font.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Interesting that you feel that way. I do too...however...I think those are mid-round guys and a flashy combine is relevant as long as one of these guys doesn't jump into Rds 1-3....that would be silly.

If I changed "at the combine" to "in their senior year" it would describe my many fears of taking RGIII at #4.

Note: I am NOT saying we should or should not take RGIII. I am drawing a correlation between similar thought processes. I am NOT trying to make this another RG III thread. Note the lack of purple color font.

For the record it was his Junior year

And he had 22 TDs to 8 INTs last year, was hurt the year before that, and had 15 td/3 int his first year... So not only has he not "come out of nowhere" he's clearly getting better as he plays more...

Just saying..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
The only game I've seen Austin Davis play, he kicked Case Keenum's butt.

At DB, I liked what I saw from Jayron Hosely, Brandon Taylor, Trenton Robinson, Cody Sensabaugh, and Janoris Jenkins.

At DL, I thought Marcus Fortson looked great moving around, Jaye Howard is really good for his size, but he's kind of a DT/DE tweener I think. Cam Johnson's got a weird kind of mix of speed and stiffness... like the Marvin Jones of DL. Not sure what to make of that.

WR: Blackmon, Floyd, Hill, Jenkins, McNutt looked good from what I saw. I don't remember seeing Criner or Kearse do anything... I was looking forward to them but can't remember how they turned out.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

A lot of these players seem to be people that we never heard of.

Me, I've seen Bernard Pierce is two football games (Temple RB).

From the first time I watched that guy, I said this guy is going to be an NFL RB and could definitely be a starter. Watching him verses UConn's Jordan Toddman (Conn's star player last year), I definitely thought Pierce looked the better of the two.

So, I dunno who these other guys are, but I have seen Bernard Pierce, and he was able to catch the ball and run the ball. Seemed to have good instincts and very comfortable running the ball between the tackles.

If he's there in the 4th round, I'd like to get him.

That temple team was good with that Univ of Miami coach there. I wanted him to be the next coach of Conn when Edsall was going to leave, but the Canes ruined that one

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I wouldnt mind Carder or Pierce both have talent. Pierce just has some injury issues.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
2 of the guys i like are on that list in QB Austin Davis and DE/OLB Shea McClellin. If we don't take a QB early i think we could see Davis' name called with one of our 4th rnd picks.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Legend
Legend
I want either Pierce or Turbin.. hopefully one will be available in the 4th round.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
I like Pierce as well, but saw very little. For what its worth, I thought he played well and above his team that day. He did grab my attention as NFL prospect IMO as well. And I was surprised he was a Temple player.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) CBS: 5 Underrated Combine Performers

Link Copied to Clipboard