Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
N
Rookie
Rookie
N
Quote:

So you're saying Terry Bradshaw, John Elway, Steve Young Troy Aikman and Drew Brees all should have been thrown out of the NFL when they were McCoy's age because they weren't making everyone around them better? I keep hearing QBs make the talent better but I witnessed Bill Polian surrounded a young Peyton Manning with the following first round draft picks: Marvin Harrison, Marshall Faulk, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Edge James, Anthony Gonzalez, etc. You didn't start seeing the Austin Collies and Pierre Garcon's come until Manning had a wealth of experience behind him. First off, how many young QBs would like to inherit Marshall Faulk and Marvin Harrison? Manning still only went 3-13 with 28 INTs so they had to go hot and heavy adding the weapons I listed. A RB with 4.28 forty speed can bury a blitz and prevent many sacks like Kurt Warner later pointed out about Faulk.

I also think we need to understand Drew Brees had a 67.5 passer rating with 11 TDs to 15 INTs in his 3rd season. The Chargers did so bad that year they earned the right to draft first the next year. Their GM selected a QB with that choice. The GM took the stance that Brees couldn't make everyone around him better. Marty argued back that the QB could make the people around him better if they were NFL material. The only player consistently looking good was Tomlinson. Very relevant to our ongoing debate. The QB we need to compare McCoy to in that one isn't a 32 years old Brees - it's the one that was once 21 starts old on a franchise like this one.

Rodgers is a nice example until you factor in how much different Green Bay was to Cleveland. Rodgers didn't get his first start until his 4th season on a team Favre recently had in the NFC Championship with the same playbook, same offense, and a lot of the same players. Pretty nice set up with continuity and chemistry already in tact.

Why do we suppose Holmgren was quick to announce McCoy wouldn't see the field as a rookie? Even worse, why did McCoy have to see the field as a rookie? Did anyone really miss the alternatives in walking boots. It's not like we've seen any QB winning with this roster of receivers. We have seen these receivers lead the league in dropped passes though. Do we use this information to upgrade the WRs or draft another Big 12 QB they are warning should not see the field as a rookie? If that QB has trouble identifying Safeties as they are saying on the NFL Channel - a division with Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu could be a recipe for disaster.

If all the hotshot first round QBs are making everyone around them better immediately - why are the teams with Sam Bradford, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Josh Freeman and Cam Newton all drafting in the top 9 this year? Even better, I think it's wonderful none of them need to add WRs or offensive talent while they have the right QB now.

Great stuff. Very well said!

[color:"white"]Such is life in Soviet Russia... I mean Cleveland[/color]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

So you're saying Terry Bradshaw, John Elway, Steve Young Troy Aikman and Drew Brees all should have been thrown out of the NFL when they were McCoy's age because they weren't making everyone around them better? I keep hearing QBs make the talent better but I witnessed Bill Polian surrounded a young Peyton Manning with the following first round draft picks: Marvin Harrison, Marshall Faulk, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Edge James, Anthony Gonzalez, etc. You didn't start seeing the Austin Collies and Pierre Garcon's come until Manning had a wealth of experience behind him. First off, how many young QBs would like to inherit Marshall Faulk and Marvin Harrison? Manning still only went 3-13 with 28 INTs so they had to go hot and heavy adding the weapons I listed. A RB with 4.28 forty speed can bury a blitz and prevent many sacks like Kurt Warner later pointed out about Faulk.

I also think we need to understand Drew Brees had a 67.5 passer rating with 11 TDs to 15 INTs in his 3rd season. The Chargers did so bad that year they earned the right to draft first the next year. Their GM selected a QB with that choice. The GM took the stance that Brees couldn't make everyone around him better. Marty argued back that the QB could make the people around him better if they were NFL material. The only player consistently looking good was Tomlinson. Very relevant to our ongoing debate. The QB we need to compare McCoy to in that one isn't a 32 years old Brees - it's the one that was once 21 starts old on a franchise like this one.

Rodgers is a nice example until you factor in how much different Green Bay was to Cleveland. Rodgers didn't get his first start until his 4th season on a team Favre recently had in the NFC Championship with the same playbook, same offense, and a lot of the same players. Pretty nice set up with continuity and chemistry already in tact.

Why do we suppose Holmgren was quick to announce McCoy wouldn't see the field as a rookie? Even worse, why did McCoy have to see the field as a rookie? Did anyone really miss the alternatives in walking boots. It's not like we've seen any QB winning with this roster of receivers. We have seen these receivers lead the league in dropped passes though. Do we use this information to upgrade the WRs or draft another Big 12 QB they are warning should not see the field as a rookie? If that QB has trouble identifying Safeties as they are saying on the NFL Channel - a division with Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu could be a recipe for disaster.

If all the hotshot first round QBs are making everyone around them better immediately - why are the teams with Sam Bradford, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Josh Freeman and Cam Newton all drafting in the top 9 this year? Even better, I think it's wonderful none of them need to add WRs or offensive talent while they have the right QB now.

Sorry, but I fully and truly hate the "because one QB who turned out to be great struggled early in his career, then all QBs who struggle early in their careers will be great" argument.

Terry Bradshaw only competed 50%+ of his passes twice in his 1st 7 seasons. For his career he completed 51.9% of his passes. He only threw 2 more TD than INT in his career.

Does that means that he was a bad QB, despite winning 4 Super Bowls ..... or does it mean that it was a different era?

Just because certain great QBs struggled early in their careers does not make every QB who struggles a future Hall of Fame QB. It simply does not work that way.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Sorry, but I fully and truly hate the "because one QB who turned out to be great struggled early in his career, then all QBs who struggle early in their careers will be great" argument.

oh please. that is not the argument and you know it. i don't think anyone believes that there is not a greater chance that he busts than he becomes great. however, many QBs that ended up great did start off with many struggles, so the book is not closed on Colt yet. that's the only point.

and yes, many, many more that start off struggling bust.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Funny, people already gave up on Hardesty but Colt shold get still start...why isn't this "argument" applied to Hardesty too then? Lauvao? What's the difference?

This "exception"-argument also left out the other 95% of QBs that sucked after 3 seasons...and....continued to suck

It's just another version of the "Tom Brady" argument...aka you can draft your franchise QB in round 6

Might as well say "BELIEVE" (good ol "have faith" argument introduced by Mangini)...because that's all what it is....if you really think it's a valid argument then the classic logic brainfart is at work here: correlation doesnt imply causation (spelling it out for the homers: just because some great QBs needed 3 years doesn't mean that Colt will get any better too)...probability and thus more rational is to suppose that he'll continue to suck as a starting QB

but yeah: believe !

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
Legend
Of course many QBs start off as struggling young players.

However, you have to look at why they struggle.

You also have to, I believe, look at what they actually do well on the field, and what they struggle doing. Most young QBs today struggle because they are too aggressive. However, these struggles are becoming more and more rare, because with the passing rules in effect today, more and more often even overly aggressive QBs can succeed. This is why more rookie QBs are coming in and having more of an immediate impact IMO. It used to be that you had to rein in a young QB. Today that's not as big an issue. Aggressive QBs are rewarded with today's rules. A young QB needs to learn that he can't make every throw he made in college ...... but NFL windows are somewhat widened today with NFL passing rules.

When I look at a young QB, I look at how he makes his decisions, and how he makes his throws. I have gone through what I look for many times, and it's usually fairly accurate.

One thing that drives me nuts about people talking up McCoy is that a guy can do something well once, or even a few times, but that does not mean that he can replicate it on demand. That's why I love the highlight reels. A guy doing something once or twice does not mean that he can do it when he needs to. DA once threw 29 TD passes. That was in 15 starts. He has thrown 24 in the other 4 years he saw action in, including 28 starts. Teams got a book on him, and took away what he did best.

I look at McCoy, and no he does not have a great, All Pro lineup around him. However, how does he handle the basic aspects of the job? How does he make the throws? What decisions does he make? Does he see what is really happening? Etc. There are so many things that a young QB does, or does not do, that have nothing to do with the players around him. I feel that McCoy is severely lacking in many of these areas.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

N
Legend
Legend
N
actually, I have been applying it to Lauvao. I wasn't happy with his play last year, but noted he improved as the season went on and have not suggested we draft an OG (I would like to re-sign Steinbach if healthy and make Pinkston/Lauvao battle for the other starting OG slot).

Hardesty is different because so few of us believe he can stay on the field at this point. No problem giving him another shot to do it but we better have another option right along with him.

we have other needs and I do not like our options at replacing Colt. if I believed in one of the QBs left in the early rounds, then I would be hopping up and down to draft them too. the problem is I don't see Tannehill or Weeden as a surefire upgrade, so I would prefer to wait until we have better options while fixing the rest of the team. I HATE the idea of reaching for a QB just because it's a need and missing out on elite talent available (see JAX). and I would like upgrades/replacements for these guys, but it isn't always feasible.

I think our biggest needs currently (no particular order): QB, RB, WR1, RT, WOLB, FS, CB2

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Funny, people already gave up on Hardesty but Colt shold get still start...why isn't this "argument" applied to Hardesty too then? Lauvao? What's the difference?

RB is accepted to be a position that is easier to transition to the pros. They also have shorter careers. Hardesty was thought to be a person who couldn't stay healthy and he hasn't been able to. OL and QB are accepted along with WR as being the position which are toughest to transition to the NFL, so people are willing to give more leeway.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

that's the worst argument on the planet.

Hardestys problems weren't ability, his problems were he couldn't stay healthy.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Even better..now that he's more than 1year removed from his knee procedure why not give him anothe chance?

If the "argument" with Colt was that it's too early to tell, why doesn't it apply to a RB that got all but 4 starts on a wobbly knee?

I'm not making an argument for Hardesty to start, just showing how stupid the "we don't know what we have" version is if applied to every bad player on the team...Marecic comes to mind...how many already trash the selections of Marecic and Cameron although they have much less experience than Colt?

It's not an argument at all...that's my point

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
N
Legend
Legend
N
I haven't seen one poster saying we should draft a FB to replace Marecic. Pretty much everyone is hoping/expecting that he will improve in his 2nd year, no?

Cameron was a complete speculative pick. I think most are assuming he would have not much time last year and this would be the first year he might, no?

I at least think that people are giving the guys the benefit of the doubt that you claim they are not doing. Perhaps I am misreading it (it is how I view those guys though).

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Not only that, but guys like Lauvoa and Pinkston "sucked" while playing as a 2nd year player and a rookie ....... Little "sucked" because he caught 61 passes, but had some drops as a rookie after having a forced year off ........ all of the rest of the receivers sucked ...... the TEs weren't getting the ball like they did the year before, so they sucked ........

N
Legend
Legend
N
and Colt McCoy sucked too (just come out and say it)
that isn't to say that those players can't improve

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
Quote:

So you're saying Terry Bradshaw, John Elway, Steve Young Troy Aikman and Drew Brees all should have been thrown out of the NFL when they were McCoy's age

Exactly, that's Exactly what I said, and I stand by it. Seriously did you see how Awful Elway looked in those first 3 superbowls, and his supporting cast for those, ( the three amigo's), Elway could have made them look alot better if he were a better quarterback.

All of those guys should have been thrown out! Out of the league! Execpt for Steve Young, he did everything anyone could want and was NOT a product of the system and, and , and he didn't have a great cast around him.

None of the above is true.
Find where I said throw any player out of the league? Maybe Carlton Mitchell and Brian Sanford, but these guys are borderline for a roster spot anyway.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Why don't you ask Holmgren. After all, he's the one that said it takes a qb - what - 24 starts? 36 starts? To "get" it. Plus, throw in the fact that a running back does just that - runs into a specified hole. If he's not running, he needs to block on a pass play - the majority of the time it's inside out blocking.

Quote:

This "exception"-argument also left out the other 95% of QBs that sucked after 3 seasons...and....continued to suck

We're talking about Colt, right? Which 3 seasons has he had? 3 seasons? Ignorance is bliss, and bud, I think you're blissful.

Colt had 8 games his rookie year. (remember? The year the coaches didn't even coach him for the first 8 games). He started his second year - for - was it 12 games?

Where do you get he "sucked for 3 years"????????
The rest of your post is tripe. But, you're known for it. Care to break down film again? Perhaps on Colt getting concussed? You can't do that objectively, and the neat thing is - your bias against Colt showed so, SO tremendously in that thread. Funny is how I'd describe it.

Or, you wanna break down the pass to Little again? Your take on breaking down tape is hilarious - but it's also sad, because you still think you "see" things that the tape doesn't show.

You use bias against Colt to attack him. I use football knowledge and film to tear you apart. And then your only comeback is I'm a Colt lover. Makes you look foolish, really.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Even better..now that he's more than 1year removed from his knee procedure why not give him anothe chance?

Did you mean that to be in purple so we'd know you were being sarcastic? cause if not, it's even a worse argument..

I don't know anyone that doesn't already know that generally, the first year back from that kinda injury isn't the most effective a guy will/should be. so you damn skippy he gets another chance..

Does he get out of camp on the? maybe, if nobody beats him out I'm sure he does.. if someone shows more,, My guess he'll be gone..

the whole concept of trying to compare a perceived lack of skill to an injury situation is just comical...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Terry Bradshaw only competed 50%+ of his passes twice in his 1st 7 seasons. For his career he completed 51.9% of his passes. He only threw 2 more TD than INT in his career.

Does that means that he was a bad QB, despite winning 4 Super Bowls ..... or does it mean that it was a different era?

Just because certain great QBs struggled early in their careers does not make every QB who struggles a future Hall of Fame QB. It simply does not work that way.

Nobody is advocating that McCoy is going to be a great QB. But unless you are saying that his supporting cast is adequate, you can't say that we are getting a fair look at what McCoy is capable of. We do have to keep in mind that we are going into McCoy's 3rd year (2nd in the system) which is still relatively young for a developmental QB. Years in the system or rather consistency in the offensive system affects the development of quarterbacks as well.

Alex Smith is a clear example of how devastating changing systems are to a QBs development. I truly believe the light is finally on for that QB and he is even less of a liability now than he was 3 years ago. Please note that I'm not saying that Alex Smith is a "great" QB, he's good enough to work for SF for the time being until they find their next franchise guy.

Legend
Legend
So should we see if Akili Smith still has anything left?

I mean, theres no way he had a good supporting cast in Cincy..

Maybe he's a gem just waiting to be polished!

Too old?

Ok...

Joey Harrington? JP Losman? ..CHARLIE FRYE?

Oh wait... You mean you CAN find out if a QB is going to be good regardless of what's around him?

...Interesting...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
O
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
O
Quote:

Quote:

Why don't you ask Holmgren. After all, he's the one that said it takes a qb - what - 24 starts? 36 starts? To "get" it. Plus, throw in the fact that a running back does just that - runs into a specified hole. If he's not running, he needs to block on a pass play - the majority of the time it's inside out blocking.

Quote:

We're talking about Colt, right? Which 3 seasons has he had? 3 seasons? Ignorance is bliss, and bud, I think you're blissful.

Colt had 8 games his rookie year. (remember? The year the coaches didn't even coach him for the first 8 games). He started his second year - for - was it 12 games?

Where do you get he "sucked for 3 years"????????
The rest of your post is tripe. But, you're known for it. Care to break down film again? Perhaps on Colt getting concussed? You can't do that objectively, and the neat thing is - your bias against Colt showed so, SO tremendously in that thread. Funny is how I'd describe it.

Or, you wanna break down the pass to Little again? Your take on breaking down tape is hilarious - but it's also sad, because you still think you "see" things that the tape doesn't show.

You use bias against Colt to attack him. I use football knowledge and film to tear you apart. And then your only comeback is I'm a Colt lover. Makes you look foolish, really.

Archbold,
Django doesn't even know the difference between the NY Giants and the NY Jets so why are you surprised he doesn't understand football film? I wouldn't worry what he thinks of you when he can't hang in the next football discussion. You just keep talking football while he keeps acting like a jealous high school cheerleader annoyed others are getting attention.

Last edited by Ottomatic Flugel; 04/05/12 08:50 PM.

David doesn't beat Goliath without an accurate slingshot...
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Quote:

Too old?

Ok...

Oh wait... You mean you CAN find out if a QB is going to be good regardless of what's around him?

...Interesting...

So you are convinced that McCoy is garbage and will always be garbage based on the last 2 seasons? What fact is this conviction based on? I'm saying, like a lot on here, that the evidence is inconclusive because of lack of a good supporting cast.

So what's your solution for our problem behind center? Draft a QB and have this same debate 2 years from now? I would love to have this one position settled. We've had this debate since 1999.

Just throwing this out there since we are talking Browns QBs does anybody out there believe we have ruined actual good quarterbacks out of college by not putting a team together around them? My belief would be if McNabb went to us and Couch to Philly in 1999, McNabb would have been out of the league a long time ago and Couch a household name.

Legend
Legend
I have outlined hundreds of times why I feel the way I do about McCoy.

"Play it safe at all expense" QBs do not succeed. A QB needs some courage ..... some moxie ...... an ability to take a chance .... to dare big to win big.

A QB must be able to make all throws to at least the short and intermediate levels with consistency. It's not enough to do so once in a while for a highlight reel. He must be able to throw to both stationary and moving targets, especially in this offense. A WR facing man cover will almost always be running a route through a zone. Receivers facing zone will settle into a zone. Wonder why we throw largely to the middle of the field? It's because McCoy is far more comfortable throwing to a spot rather than throwing to a man.

Further, a QB must be able to make plays from the pocket, and in this offense, must be able to do so quickly and immediately. He must see, understand, and act upon what he sees. That does not happen with McCoy. It actually happened more at the beginning of last year than it did at the end. As defenses adjusted to our offense, they started filling the middle ..... they started filling lanes with more players than could be blocked ..... and McCoy suffered. He is a short QB, and his inability to make plays led to an inability to find lanes. A WCO QB cannot consistently try to make plays outside the pocket or from the shotgun. The whole goal of the WCO is to make pass and run plays look alike, so that the offense can catch the defense in an indefensible situation, and so that the offense can take advantage of a mismatch. That doesn't happen in a shotgun formation.

That's a start. I'm so tired of explaining what I see, and why I feel the way I do and being met with "Oh you're just a hater". (Not from you, but from many on this board)

As far as the rest of the team, I'm not saying that we have All Pros everywhere, but we have some of the same guys who allowed McCoy to be successful in 2010, and to look like a possible up and comer. Unfortunately, other teams look at what players and QBs do well, and adjust. Our receivers are facing single cover in a lot of situations. The QB is not even looking at them. There are so many instances of this throughout the season ..... and while people post very limited examples of him actually throwing down the field ..... they are few and far between. Our receiving corps is not the best in the NFL, but they are not the worst. They are thrown to as though they were though.

As far as "ruining" QBs, I don't think so. Bad QBs expose themselves (hopefully not like Favre) over time. They are shown to have weaknesses that have nothing to do with the players around them. I hope that the team has sat down with McCoy and gone over this elementary list, along with the other problems he has from the QB position, and from under Center. Maybe he can improve ...... and he should. The question is ... can he improve enough to take this team from last to first?

O
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
O
Quote:

Quote:

Too old?

Ok...

...Interesting...

So you are convinced that McCoy is garbage and will always be garbage based on the last 2 seasons? What fact is this conviction based on? I'm saying, like a lot on here, that the evidence is inconclusive because of lack of a good supporting cast.

So what's your solution for our problem behind center? Draft a QB and have this same debate 2 years from now? I would love to have this one position settled. We've had this debate since 1999.

Just throwing this out there since we are talking Browns QBs does anybody out there believe we have ruined actual good quarterbacks out of college by not putting a team together around them? My belief would be if McNabb went to us and Couch to Philly in 1999, McNabb would have been out of the league a long time ago and Couch a household name.

I think McNabb is an exception to the rule because Philly had the worst record in football in 1998. Compatibility was a huge factor in McNabb's success. He played in George Deleone's Veer Option Offense at SU, which was remarkably similar to the offense Favre played in at Southern Miss. It only made sense one of Favre's former coaches at Green Bay would become the guy seeing the dejavue through McNabb in Philly. All the while Andy Reid was reading McNabb played in an unconventional offense in college - he was seeing the perfect prospect projected for a west coast offense. Even better, he gave him the same playbook every year. Who trained Andy Reid for such a gig? And who helped Heckert draft our last QB?

As for the other stuff, some people are just getting spoiled by the results of changing QBs here all the time since 1999. Who are we to stand in their way?

Apparently, all we need to do is draft a QB with our first pick and throw out the rest of the draft. We've been told he'll make everyone around him better immediately. If he's not undefeated in September, Heaven help him. He'll sink to the bottom of Lake Erie faster than the Titanic could.

Speaking of which, they're bringing back the Titanic movie in 3D. Evidently, someone was thinking the icebergs might be a little easier to see in 3D. It really won't change the story any. Some people are just addicted to re-runs. Those of us that are sick of re-runs want to see some play makers here for a refreshing change.

Last edited by Ottomatic Flugel; 04/05/12 10:34 PM.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

So you are convinced that McCoy is garbage and will always be garbage based on the last 2 seasons?

No, I actually liked him in 2010.

Quote:

What fact is this conviction based on?

It's my opinion, that Colt McCoy does not have the tools to ever be a CONSISTANT winning QB in the NFL, regardless of who's around him.

Quote:

I'm saying, like a lot on here, that the evidence is inconclusive because of lack of a good supporting cast.

So we should keep him around until every other position has a Pro Bowler at it, THEN we'll know if he's any good? This argument was the basis for my overly sarcastic hyperbolic statement you just relied too...

Quote:

I've state that since we got neither Luck or RG3, that I was fine with going with Colt this year, and building up the team, basically what you want, we just differ on weather or not a better cast will help Colt be any good (notice I didn't say better)

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Pat Shurmur: Keeping Colt McCoy as starting QB

Link Copied to Clipboard