Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
1a) Justin Blackmon WR Oklahoma- This guy has stud receiver written all over him. The Browns MUST find a game breaker at the receiver position and this guy fits the bill. Has the speed to run by you and the strength to man handle you. Would be a great fit in the WCO and the perfect compliment to a guy who I think is going to have a big year in Greg Little. Number one receiver immediately solved with this pick.

**Trade**
Cleveland sends thier 22nd pick and 37th pick (2nd) to the Dallas Cowboys for the 14th overall pick and the 113th pick (4th). Got to looking at the draft order and barring a trade up for Richardson there is a very good possibility that he could fall either to this pick or to the Eagles at 15. But I highly doubt he makes it past NY at 16. So a viable trade partner could be either Dallas or Phili.

1b) Trent Richardson RB Bama- Great back who would be a perfect fit for the WCO. Doesn't have alot of miles on his tires. Definately the best back in this class or even the last few classes. 3 down back who would contribute immediately.

3) Mitchell Schwartz OT Cal- Not a day one starter which is one area where we could really use one in the worst way. I would have like to add Martin or Adams but Blackmon and Richardson are two guys you don't pass on if you have the chance to go get them. This pick wouldn't be bad though he has good size and is a descent run blocker.

4a) Chase Minnifield CB Viginia- He has fallen down the boards quite a bit. Father played for us and I beleive he is a very talented kid who just had some poor workouts.

4b) A.J Jenkins WR Illinois- We got our possession receiver in Little, our go to guy in Blackmon and this guy is the burner in the slot.

4c) Nate Potter G/T Boise State- Could play either guard or tackle, can never have enough offensive lineman.

5a) Travis Lewis OLB Oklahoma

5b) Ryan Lindley QB SD State

6a) Jack Crawford DE Penn State

6b) Aaron Henry FS Wisconsin

7a) Julian Miller DE WV

7b) Cliff Harris CB Oregon

Legend
Legend
Let's see .....

1st round:

Browns trade the #4 overall pick and a 5th round pick in exchange for the #6 over all pick, the Redskins 2nd round pick, and a 4th next year. The Browns really have too many picks for them all to make the team, so a trade like this that adds a pick next year, and adds a better pick this year makes sense.

At 6, the Browns draft Trent Richardson. I know that the value is not there according to all of the books, charts, and experts .... but this guy just makes too much sense for our team. He will create a monster run game for the Browns, help in pass protection, and is also a capable receiver our of the backfield.

At 22, I see the Browns shoring up the OL. There are just not enough RT deep in this draft to take a chance on one falling to us. Thus I am going to steal another poster's pick and take Martin out of Stanford. I don't necessarily like having 3 first rounders invested in one unit .... especially not when RT can be found deeper in the draft .... but this is a screaming need for us.

2nd round, #37 overall: Brandon Weeden. It's higher than I would like, but I just don't see him falling a great deal in this draft. He has everything you could want in a QB, except for the fact that he's about 3 years older than we might prefer. I can live with that. if we go into next season with only McCoy as a vialble option than we are asking for disaster.

2nd round #39 overall: David Lavonte OLB. He can set an edge against the run, and combined with the signing (which I still hate) of Rucker should immediately improve our run defense immensely. he's not a great pass rusher, but he is a solid run defender, as well as being capable of covering a TE or RB out of the flat.

3rd round #67 overall: Marvin McNutt WR. He's a big, strong, athletic WR, who may not have super top end speed, but who catches everything thrown within 10 feet of him, and knows how to use his body to shield defenders, and who has excellent hands.

4th round #100 overall: Chase Minnifield CB. Sure he's a legacy ..... sure he might never be as great as his father was ..... but he can be useful in a role, and that's what you look for in the 4th round.

4th round #118 overall: Kheeston Randall DT. Big guy, good against the run, and has some decent upside. He has a lot of athletic talent from everything I can find on him.

5th and beyond ..... who knows? It's all a crap shoot, and I don't get into the draft so much that I know a lot about prospects past the 3rd/4th round anyway. I can see us loading up on DB and DL with these picks ..... because that's where I think Heckert sees value.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
O
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
O
Quote:

1a) Justin Blackmon WR Oklahoma- This guy has stud receiver written all over him. The Browns MUST find a game breaker at the receiver position and this guy fits the bill. Has the speed to run by you and the strength to man handle you. Would be a great fit in the WCO and the perfect compliment to a guy who I think is going to have a big year in Greg Little. Number one receiver immediately solved with this pick.

**Trade**
Cleveland sends thier 22nd pick and 37th pick (2nd) to the Dallas Cowboys for the 14th overall pick and the 113th pick (4th). Got to looking at the draft order and barring a trade up for Richardson there is a very good possibility that he could fall either to this pick or to the Eagles at 15. But I highly doubt he makes it past NY at 16. So a viable trade partner could be either Dallas or Phili.

1b) Trent Richardson RB Bama- Great back who would be a perfect fit for the WCO. Doesn't have alot of miles on his tires. Definately the best back in this class or even the last few classes. 3 down back who would contribute immediately.

3) Mitchell Schwartz OT Cal- Not a day one starter which is one area where we could really use one in the worst way. I would have like to add Martin or Adams but Blackmon and Richardson are two guys you don't pass on if you have the chance to go get them. This pick wouldn't be bad though he has good size and is a descent run blocker.

4a) Chase Minnifield CB Viginia- He has fallen down the boards quite a bit. Father played for us and I beleive he is a very talented kid who just had some poor workouts.

4b) A.J Jenkins WR Illinois- We got our possession receiver in Little, our go to guy in Blackmon and this guy is the burner in the slot.

4c) Nate Potter G/T Boise State- Could play either guard or tackle, can never have enough offensive lineman.

7a) Julian Miller DE WV

Thanks for putting that together CC! Those are tough to do and I think you did a great job with it. I really like the Blackmon idea.

I'm glad we received 4 compensatory picks bringing our total volume of choices to 13 this year. Here's where we get the picks with two 6th rounders (204 and 205) and two 7th rounders (245 and 247).

While I love Minnifield's dad - I'm not sure his son offers the same promise. I've had season tickets to Vandy where I have seen a really underrated corner and potential mid round steal in this draft in Casey Hayward. I'm going to show you a video of why I feel the way I do. He also has intriguing stats that show some good ball skills. Warning: if you play this video below please make sure you mute volume or turn it way down because the language is offensive.

http://www.youtube.com/v/ZPeeShdycx4&feature=player_embedded

Here's Hayward's stats without a strong front 7 to make life easy in the SEC:

2011 Vandy 13 games 7 INTs 1 TD 10 breakups 62 tackles: 46 solo 16 asst 7.5 TFL
2010 Vandy 12 games 6 INTs 0 TD 11 breakups 70 tackles: 56 solo 14 asst 2.0 TFL
2009 Vandy 12 games 2 INTs 0 TD 7 breakups 58 tackles: 40 solo 18 asst 8.5 TFL

Last edited by Ottomatic Flugel; 03/31/12 01:54 PM.

David doesn't beat Goliath without an accurate slingshot...
Legend
Legend
If the language is offensive, then you cannot post it here.

I would remove it before a Ref gets involved.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Quote:

**Trade**

7a) Julian Miller DE WV

Thanks for putting that together CC! Those are tough to do and I think you did a great job with it. I really like the Blackmon idea.

I'm glad we received 4 compensatory picks bringing our total volume of choices to 13 this year. Here's where we get the picks with two 6th rounders (204 and 205) and two 7th rounders (245 and 247).

While I love Minnifield's dad - I'm not sure his son offers the same promise. I've had season tickets to Vandy where I have seen a really underrated corner and potential mid round steal in this draft in Casay Hayward. I'm going to show you a video of why I feel the way I do. He also has intriguing stats that show some good ball skills. Warning: if you play this video below please make sure you mute volume or turn it way down because the language is offensive.

Hope this saves you from having to re write the whole thing over..

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
T
Legend
Legend
T
That makes as much sense as anything close to a clue from past action in how this current team brass would approach this draft.
I don't think the team would get any better this year.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Not really sure where you're going with that......

Care to elaborate? I'm not really following what you mean there.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Nice work clutch.

Love the Blackmon pick and
Mitchell Schwartz along with Travis Lewis selections.

[Linked Image]

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
I'll throw this up - assuming no trades, and trying to pick very reasonable players for the draft slots - going off an amalgamation of different lists. The late picks will probably change quite a bit over the next few weeks, as I find people I like more.

#4 - Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU - I believe there are 4 "elite" players in this draft: Luck, Kalil, Richardson and Claiborne. RG3 is obviously there in most peoples minds, and will be the #2 overall pick. Assuming Kalil goes #3, this leaves a choice between Claiborne and Richardson - and I really really would hate to reach for any other non-elite talent. I tend towards Claiborne here, mostly because he plays a more important position -- but also because his shelf life in this league is likely to be much larger than Richardson. Claiborne is one of the best cover corners of the last ten years - and is the prototypical "shut-down" CB (with both it's positive and negative connotations). He has excellent hands for a CB, and aggressively fights for the ball like a WR. While his recover speed is mediocre at best, he has very fluid hips, and stays with WRs well in their cuts. He's probably best fit in a man coverage scheme (same with Haden) -- and I think that the combination could offer us a lot of flexibility with defensive blitz packages. It's rare for a team to have two CBs that you trust on an island -- and that can make your pass rushes deadly.

#22 - Cordy Glenn, RT, Georgia - I usually would argue for Martin here, but have made a little change after rewatching some game film. I think, surprisingly, that Glenn is a better pass blocker while Martin is the better run blocker, but Glenn does very well run blocking against big DEs, which is where the RT tends to find himself. My biggest knock on him is that he will lunge, and drive himself off-balance when going up against much smaller DEs (who he could dominate in the run-blocking game even without terrific leverage) - but this is a very coachable flaw.

#37 - Alshon Jeffery, WR, South Carolina - The "can't get separation" critique of Alshon Jeffery has almost become a meme at this point - but in all honesty I have a hard time finding it in his game. Here's what I do know - he has by far the best hands of any WR in this draft, and maybe any WR in the last 5 drafts, and maybe any pass catcher since Kellen Winslow II. He routinely catches the jump ball at its highest point, and is almost uncoverable deep in man-to-man coverage. He runs a full route tree (despite statements to the contrary), and runs physically after the catch. He's an above average run-blocker. In 2010 when he had a remotely decent QB throwing to him, he had a catch for more than 20 yards in 11/14 games he played, and a catch of more than 40 yards in 8/14 games. The second stat exceeds both Kendall Wright (with RG3 throwing the ball) and Justin Blackmon (with Weedon passing).

#67 - Brock Osweiler, QB, Arizona State - He's currently the fourth QB on my board after Luck/RG3/Tannehill - but Tannehill and RG3 are being to highly overrated for me to take them at their current positions. Osweiler is a bit of a project (like Tannehill), and he has only started for one season. He has a great mixture of athleticism and arm strength for the position. What I really like about him though, is his ability to move through progressions quickly, along with his great accuracy in the short passing game. Arizona State's offense relies heavily on screen passes into the flats, and while this is not a particularly difficult pass, Osweiler does a great job of keeping the receiver in time and in stride. His skill set is really matched for the WCO -- but he also has a huge arm that will keep defenses honest - which is the primary criticism of Colt McCoy. Will need to ride the bench for a year or two, but could be a big time QB in the future.

#100 - Nate Potter, OT, Boise State - A depth signing who has the ability to backup four positions on the OL. Certainly not an overpowering blocker, but moves fluidly into position and plays with good tenacity. Not a road-grader, or an overpowering blocker - but a very consistent blocker with starting potential at either guard spot or potentially even LT.

#118 - Cyrus Gray, RB, Texas A&M - Not an explosive RB, but a guy who maintains great balance and has a good combination of strength and agility. Most effective in between the tackles and shows some discipline as a one-cut runner. I should make a philosophical note here -- I've always been a fan of waiting to draft an RB until a year in which you think you will be very competitive. This is primarily due to the fact that RBs adapt to the offense much faster than other positions - and also due to the fact that they wear out much faster. Richardson is maybe a once-a-decade talent, so I can understand taking him -- but otherwise I don't see the reason to spend a high pick on a runner who might be done by the time you get competitive.

#139 - T. Y. Hilton, WR, FIU - One of my favorite draft prospects, an electric slot receiver with a true second gear. Gets by coverages easily even against top defenses. Not afraid to go over the middle and picks up tons of YACs. Shows good recognition to come back for the ball. Everything I like about a first round slot receiver like Kendall Wright, I see just as clearly in Hilton.

#160 - Olivier Vernon, DE, Miami - An extremely effective run-stopping DE, who has a very solid game. While he's not an elite pass rusher from the DE position, he would be a great rotational player and possible starter. Very disciplined and can play multiple roles within a defense. A number of boards have him rated higher as a 3-4 OLB, and while he has that sort of situational awareness, I think his 40 time (4.8) will preclude that. So I see him falling a bit and fitting in well as a 4-3 rotational DE.

#204 - Danny Trevathan, OLB, Kentucky - A speedy weakside linebacker who can pursue effectively from the backside. Slightly undersized, and has a hard time holding his ground at the point of attack. However, he moves effectively through traffic and can get into the backfield to make plays. Has the skillset to be an effective third down lineman, and can run with TEs and RBs. Selected team captain and was a leader of the Kentucky defense.

#205 - Bryce Brown, RB, Kansas State - Probably the highest risk/reward player in the draft. This is one of those picks you can make when you have 13 picks going into a draft. Brown was the top recruited HS RB in 2009 (ahead of Richardson), and ran pretty effectively as a freshman at Tennessee. He then transferred to K-State for reasons unknown, sat a year per regulations, and then left the K-State football team after 3 games in the 2011 season. This is especially troubling as his brother was at K-State, and if he wasn't stable there, then who knows what will happen in the NFL. However, Brown has all the talent to be THE top NFL RB. He runs effortlessly and shows a speed/power combo reminiscent of Ronnie Brown. Tennessee lined him up very effectively as a receiver as well during his freshman year and he shows no lack of football intellect. He has no legal problems. If you're picking 13 players, probably 5 of them won't make the team in any fashion, so you might as well pick a few who could be outstanding - but who you can dump easily if they prove to be a distraction. That's Bryce Brown in a nutshell. It is worth noting that he backed up Montario Hardesty while at Tennessee in 2009, and the two were said to get along well.

#211 - Dale Moss, WR, San Diego State - See above for why you take boom/bust players when you have 13 picks in a draft. Moss has only played one year of college football, after leaving the San Diego State Basketball program this fall (upon deciding he was not NBA material as a basketball player.) His production this year was up and down - due to unfamiliarity with the position. What he does have is an outstanding size/speed/leaping ability ratio - coming in at 6'4", running a 4.45 40, a "this must be a mistake" inducing 6.32 3-cone drill, and an outstanding 41.5" vertical leap. Another guy who will probably get cut or placed on a practice squad - but who has a small chance to be outstanding a few years down the line.

#245 - Damon Harrison, DT, William Penn - Another boom-bust prospect, Harrison is a 350lb moster in the middle who was unblockable at the DII level. This of course, shouldn't mean much for an NFL prospect. However, his ability to shed the double team and regularly make the tackle is meaningful even against lower competition, his 80" wingspan certainly helps in this regard. He also moves reasonably well (though not at all gracefully), and shows surprisingly good agility.

#247 - Nathan Stupar, ILB, Penn State - A very solid, though unspectacular linebacker, who will also contribute as a special teams ace from the start. Has a good combination of size and strength. I project that we might be losing Fujita for a portion of the year (and also may subsequently cut him) -- and the combination of Stupar and Trevethan gives you two very experienced LBs who could fill in immediately in a pinch.

~Lyuokdea
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) First and only mock draft of the year.

Link Copied to Clipboard