Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Legend
Legend
I don't see us taking him at 4. Which is probably the only way we get him...

Unless something crazy happens like Minny trading out, we offer STL Kalil, and then Take Blackmon at 6...

I'd rather just take T Rich at 4...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Mourgrym #679038 04/24/12 10:09 PM
H
Heldawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
H
Here we go!

Thoughts from the show....

1. Tooting the ol' horn here. Gruden highlighted the throw that I highlighted back for those that were looking for top of Round 1 tape. 7 step drop against Baylor on an 18 yard out route. Money. Freakin money. Looks like Tom Brady jumped in an A&M jersey for a series. Seriously man it doesn't get any better at the college level right there on that throw.

2. His intelligence and passion for the game are obvious. 34 on the Wonderlic. Pre-Med major...that's not screwing around in college in some basketweaving field. Been in the West Coast offense for 4 years. Some of which spent at WR. Man I'm telling you he must have just had Childress, Shurmur and the rest of the staff in Berea grinning ear to ear going over things a couple weekends ago.

3. Far hash wide side Winstons. I learned a new term today. It's a 10-12 yard out route and the ball is traveling .... hold on

See Link

A squared + B squared = C squared

78.5 feet squared + let's say 45 feet squared =

A little over a 90 foot throw that has to be delivered with a ton of velocity. If it's not then it will be intercepted.

This throw does not exist at the NFL level due to the narrow width of the hashes.

If Tannehill can make this throw there is absolutely no throw he cannot make in the Browns WCO.

Seriously that's a big boy throw.

McCoy cannot dream of making that throw.

I honestly believe he was the best intermediate thrower of the football that I've seen in college last year. From the tape I've seen.

4. The kid is built like a horse. If you wanted to create a QB to be durable it looks like you could do worse than create this guy.

He has the willingness to throw bullets in the midst of an A gap blitz that he knows is coming. That's something that not a lot of guys have. Tom Brady doesn't have it. Aaron Rodgers doesn't have it. Eli Manning doesn't have it. Roethlisberger does. Man it sucks that he went to the Squeelers. Anyway if you can deliver a throw in the face of an unaccounted A Gap blitzer then you're tough as nails.

He's a big boy with elite NFL QB wheels. That's pretty sweet.

5. He's got some room for improvement. Still don't like the way he throws the short stuff. It's imminently correctable. He's still green at the QB position. You could tell that on the CBs sitting on those outs. They went over that in detail and I loved the Jerry Rice 26 yard out comments...smart man that Jerry Rice. Make that guy get out of his backpedal even if it's to establish a future route. Wish we had guys like that on our team.

Anyway there's upside to his game. He's not a finished product at the position like McCoy was and that's fine.

But he brings elite tools, elite durability and elite athleticism to the table. Does he have that charismatic aura that RG3 has? No.

I think that's what Holmgren and Heckert fell in love with with RG3.

Because I see a better football player in Tannehill.

And I bet he's our pick come Thursday.

[Linked Image]
Heldawg #679039 04/24/12 10:30 PM
Legend
Legend
If we take Tannehill at 4, All I'm saying is you better HOPE Glenn or Martin are there at 22, and either Jeffery or Sanu are there at 37...

Then find a DE, CB, RB, S whatever in the later rounds...

And he better start Week 1...

I would feel a whole lot better if we could get STL to bite and move to 4 and AT LEAST give us one of their 2nds...

*SIGH* this can't get over fast enough...

Last edited by OSGuy; 04/24/12 10:31 PM.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Heldawg #679040 04/24/12 10:37 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Every single media type is saying we are taking Richardson and we may very well do so but man, I could not pass on this kid for a RB. would love to wake up Sunday morning and have Tannehill, Jonathon Martin, Alshon Jeffery and Lamichael James as the newest members of the Browns. Now if we could figure out a way to add Whitney Merciless in there it would be even better lol.

Mourgrym #679041 04/24/12 10:44 PM
Legend
Legend
Trade with STL for 2nd

#6 Tannehill
#22 Mercilus
#33 Martin
#37 Jeffery

Theres TALK of Martin falling to the second round, I doubt it, but there is talk...

Heldawg #679042 04/25/12 12:30 AM
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

And I bet he's our pick come Thursday.

So let me get this straight:

We are drafting a QB in the top 10 that MAY be a potential franchise QB, that needs to develop for at least a year, while the front office is saying that 6-10 is not acceptable next year?

If they draft Tannehill in the top 10, they better start packing their bags, because they are going 3-13 next year.

Especially when you could probably trade UP from 22 and get Tannehill.

you had a good run Hank.
Heldawg #679043 04/25/12 12:40 AM
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
I've been a bit of a Tannehill basher as you can see by my sig....I shouldn't say basher, I should say against him with the #4 pick.

I won't pretend to know if that is impressive or not....I would hope a QB could describe routes, know the plays he ran 100s of times over the past 3-4 years. I do like the fact that he has arm strength and is atheltic...In our division, I think it is imperative you have both of those.

My concern and what a lot of people knock is the decision making....are there instances where this has been a big concern coming into the league and it worked out??? honest question

From the show, my concern would be his confidence and leadership....kind of seemed like a dud. Didn't look Gruden in the eye, got red a lot, didn't have that "IT" type of factor you'd like to see when someone walks in the room...(like him or not...like an RGIII). With a team like the Browns and the way the fans turn on you after a season or so, I'd be concerned he'd lose his confidence pretty easily and start that rock rolling downhill.

That being said, he's got the physical abilities

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
H
Heldawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
H
He can start Day 1 and is better equipped than RG3 to start Day 1.

That's what I'm saying.

My preference would be that he not start Day 1 so that he could see NFL defenses from the sidelines, watch the team prepare for opposing defenses, get some NFL level film study under his belt and get a feel for the AFC North before he's in there slinging it.

It's probably not going to happen like that though.

Just my preference.

But he could start a game Sunday for the Browns if he absolutely had to. That's one of the facets that makes Tannehill so unique.

He played in the WCO for 4 years as a WR and QB. And we're running the vanilla WCO.

The other QBs...could they start Sunday for the Browns....

Weeden couldn't. Cousins couldn't. RG3 couldn't. etc.

Luck could. And Tannehill could.

[Linked Image]
Heldawg #679045 04/25/12 12:52 AM
Legend
Legend
A certain Dawg PM'ed me this link of Weeden ....... and I thought it was pretty damn impressive so I figured I'd share .........

If he can hit clay pigeons fired at full speed, he ought to be able to hit a receiver in the hands on a crossing route. lol

Video: Brandon Weeden uses his rifle passing arm to hunt clay pigeons | Dr. Saturday - Yahoo! Sports
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-s...-180146210.html

The NFL draft is this week and former Oklahoma State quarterback Brandon Weeden is determined to show that despite being the oldest quarterback in the group, he might be one of the most accurate.

Weeden took the spotlight on "Sport Science" this week to show off his accuracy and velocity by hitting moving clay pigeons with a football. According to the show, Weeden's throws were going 48 miles per hour.

Yeah, it's as awesome as it sounds.

Weeden said on Twitter it took him seven tries to hit the first one, but after that, he hits four of five, which is a pretty spectacular feat.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
wojo_dew #679046 04/25/12 12:54 AM
H
Heldawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
H
I see what you're saying on the getting red and stumbling a bit.

He's probably nervous and obviously is not the ultra confident, swagger, I wear children's superhero socks and I can pull it off type of guy.

I think it's easy to buy in to that type of guy.

But Tannehill has some things going for him that RG3 doesn't have.

He knows the WCO cold. You could tell with him talking to another WCO coach in Gruden. Man you could tell that Gruden enjoyed talking offense with him because they spoke the same language. He even noted it saying that Tannehill could walk into a QB meeting today and be ready to go.

He's also rugged. I have worries about RG3 and his running around with his head cut off plays that Vick gets injured trying to pull off. He got hurt in college doing it and he's going to miss games in the NFL doing it. The AFC North is probably the least forgiving for that kind of QB play

[Linked Image]
Heldawg #679047 04/25/12 01:03 AM
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Quote:

He played in the WCO for 4 years as a WR and QB. And we're running the vanilla WCO.

They ran a vanilla WCO because they had no time to implement it, with a 2nd year QB, among other things.

I really don't think a "vanilla WCO" is what they have in mind for this season.

Tannehill will be a reach at 4, and I will be shocked if he is the pick.

[color:"white"]I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane -Waylon Jennings
Heldawg #679048 04/25/12 01:03 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

He's also rugged. I have worries about RG3 and his running around with his head cut off plays that Vick gets injured trying to pull off.

Except that's not what RG3 does.

RG3 didn't get to play behind a line that allowed 8 sacks and minimal pressure like Tannehill did. RG3 played behind a sieve. He had to learn to move in, and out of the pocket. He wasn't a run the ball type QB, (except mostly on called runs) but used his feet to escape pressure while still keeping his eyes down the field to make a play with his arm.

I saw very little "running around like a chicken with its head cut off". He moved away from pressure and made plays with his arm. The guy he most resembled to he was a Ben Roethlisberger in this regard. He'd get pressure, and would move using his feet, maintain his vision down the field, and burn a team deep.

I really don't get the Tannehill love. I watched a ton of his video, and he looks like a competent college QB, but I just don't see special talent there. He's a below average QB in his conference. He's OK at a lot of stuff. I just don't see special anywhere. He's not special in his accuracy, nor with his arm. He's not special reading a defense, nor throwing receivers open. He's .... OK .... but that's really all. He's probably better than McCoy, but I can't really say that he's a hug upgrade at this point. He throws a ton of screens. He throws a ton of short stuff. That's fine, because he'll do that in the NFL too ..... but I don't see the special throws down the field. He's an OK QB ...... and I just don't see an "OK" QB going #4 in a draft.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
What bothers me most about both these guys (Weeden and Tannehill) is some of the throws ( a bunch) they make during the games and especially under pressure.. is they way they just throw it into tight double and triple coverage, off their back foot. The ball has ZERO chance of getting caught and most of the time they were picks. Many, many times they seemed to make up their mind to throw to a certain receiver NO MATTER what and didn't even look elsewhere. I don't want them afraid to throw into tight coverage but MAN.. you gotta know when to eat the ball too.

Last edited by AlwaysABrownsFan; 04/25/12 01:06 AM.

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
H
Heldawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
H
Watch this game with an open mind. Who would you rather have at QB for the Browns?

It's dangerous to draw conclusions from one game. But just watch and make up your own mind.

The Tannehill throw that I mentioned previously is at 6:40. It's as good a college throw as you'll see.

There's another big time back shoulder throw under duress at 4:28 that's worth noting. He sees two guys bearing down on him. Knows he's going to get hit. Yet there's no "protect the body and duck" reaction from Tannehill. Impressive.

On the negative side on RG3 see the play at 7:18.

[Linked Image]
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

What bothers me most about both these guys (Weeden and Tannehill) is some of the throws ( a bunch) they make during the games and especially under pressure.. is they way they just throw it into tight double and triple coverage, off their back foot. The ball has ZERO chance of getting caught and most of the time they were picks.

If people would watch the video's of Weeden they'd see how poor he is when he doesn't have a perfect pocket to throw from.

1st round QB? GMAFB.

I hate siding with McShay, but he noted something that should resonate with EVERY Browns fan: Of the top-7 QB's in this draft, Weeden ranked dead-last in terms of QB rating when faced wit pressure.

Dead. Freaking. Last.

And Weeden is going to be 29 in his rookie season. And Weeden has no idea how to read an NFL defense because he's never seen one. And Weeden has never run a pro-style offense because he's never been in one.

Here's how little I think of the idea of gambling on Weeden with any of our first several picks:

I'd rather take Tannehill at 4.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
OverToad #679052 04/25/12 01:37 AM
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Wow.. Now I gotta change my sig .

Toad: "I want Tannehill at 4"

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
OverToad #679053 04/25/12 02:46 AM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Quote:

Here's how little I think of the idea of gambling on Weeden with any of our first several picks:

I'd rather take Tannehill at 4.

That's pretty little conerning your signature has been for 3 weeks, Tannehill at 4 would be a reach of biblical proportions.

... It's like, I read these statements from Heckert, or other Browns personel, and I think I get an idea of what they think by the way they word their answers and now I have to sweat it out for 40 hours or so until the Browns are on the clock.

Incidentaly the " " " days without embaresment as a Browns fan clock" " " has been counting since the day the Skins traded for pick #2.

I just hope nobody steals this opportunity to improve out from under this teams noses. What time does the draft start? 6pm eastern, 7 or 8.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
It's been months of waiting, but damn, I'm glad the draft is nearly here.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
H
Heldawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
H
8pm Eastern, 2pm Hawaiian.

I am going to be in the chat room at 2pm Hawaiian sharp.

And if the Browns take another David Veikune I'm going to air my displeasure accordingly for those that remember.

I hope to sweet baby cuddly jesus that I don't have to be that upset until Saturday if then!

[Linked Image]
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Tannehill: I'm convinced he is a winner. I have no concerns.

what did he win exactly? he lost a QB competition with a new HC (so no ties to old regime QBs). he went 7-6 in 2011 where 3 of those wins were SMU, Idaho, and Kansas.

perhaps there was a wing-eating contest on campus where he proved he was a winner?

#gmstrong
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Tannehill v3.0

Link Copied to Clipboard