Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Big surprise here ........ but it is rather depressing anyway.

We have the 2nd worst winning average from the seasons 2002 - 2011 @ .350. We have drafted an NFL low 2 All Pro players in that timeframe.

Ugh. Nothing like seeing how terrible we've been in black and white. (and blue on the charts)

Note: There is a sortable chart on the site if you wish to torture yourself further.

New England Patriots best, Cleveland Browns worst at finding All-Pros in the NFL Draft | cleveland.com
http://www.cleveland.com/datacentral/index.ssf/2012/04/new_england_patriots_best_clev.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The New England Patriots and Cleveland's old friend, Bill Belichick, find more stars through the NFL Draft than any other team

Fifteen AP All-Pros from 2002-11, excluding special-teams players, were drafted by the Patriots since quarterback Rich Gannon in 1987, dating back to before Belichick was the coach. Not surprisingly, the Patriots have won more games than any other team over the last 10 seasons.

Conversely, the Browns have found the fewest All-Pros in the draft -- they were absent from the draft from 1996-98 -- and own the NFL's second-worst record over the last decade.

Excluding undrafted and special-teams players, 232 different draftees since Jerry Rice in 1986 became an All-Pro at least once over the last 10 seasons.

This will come as no shock, but a team's ability to find eventual All-Pros in the draft and its winning percentage is no coincidence.

The chart below shows the number of All-Pros and the team originally drafting each.

(See site for chart)

About the numbers: In an attempt to grade success, The Plain Dealer matched draft lists with a decade of AP All-Pro teams from 2002 to 2011. That's a high bar to set -- finding an All-Pro -- but what NFL general manager wouldn't be thrilled with that outcome? Special teams players were excluded because most were undrafted free agents.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

I bet you also like George Jones and a six pack

Geesh man, do you always walk around with a black cloud?

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
B
Legend
Legend
B
I like George Jones a lot. As a matter of fact, I downloaded 3 of his songs to my ipod yesterday.

When I make the drive up to Cleveland, I have to have solid country gold on the radio and not this girly country being played today.

I have about 10 hours of country....40's through the 70's, some early 80's in there. Out of that I only had 5 George Jones tunes in there and had to give him a little more balance to make the collection true.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
It's gonna be hard to classify as an All-Pro when ur team sucks.. no different than making the Pro Bowl.. It really means nothing to me.

The past is the past.. lets move away from it as quick as we can.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Peen, Man. Really?

I like ol George myself. You missed the point. It's called feeling sorry for yourself. Hence, the six pack & George Jones? You've never heard of that?

Ol Peen, Man thanks for the laugh. I really like ya man, you've been around forever and I know we don't agree on somethings but man I think your a fine Man.

#GMSTRONG

D
Legend
Legend
D
Double dog dare ya to call Toby Keith's or Trace Adkins' music "girly country" to their face ...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thanks for the link YTown, but man I don't need an illustration of how we have blundered in the Draft in the past.

Good news though ... Heckert has started building a good foundation, there are just so many blocks one can lay in a given Draft. We will get that key stone too (QB) I hope someday soon.

[Linked Image]

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
It's an article about the Browns, and about the draft. I thought that I would post it in the draft forum. I thought that Browns fans might be interested in an article about the Browns, and the draft.

Maybe I should try to go find an article that says that all is well ..... and that we really did a whole lot better than we did ........

I will say this ...... that kind of attitude explains why this country votes the way it does.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I thought that was the whole point?

#GMSTRONG

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I wonder how many of our draft busts would have turned into all pro's if they were drafted by the patriots? I think sometimes good players on bad teams fail more due to the people around them.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I wonder how many of our draft busts would have turned into all pro's if they were drafted by the patriots? I think sometimes good players on bad teams fail more due to the people around them.

I don't know about that ... After all other teams had opportunity to Draft some of the same players.

[Linked Image]

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm afraid I would have to agree. Course, there's not to many of our players that have left & gone on to greatness. That we drafted anyway. Years ago we had a WR I can't remember his name, we cut him & he went on to be a pretty good WR.

Was it Houston? I don't know. Anyway there's just not that many. I know CB was a dream come true for me. But, he was made of glass. Always hurt. I think CW would have been a great player, if we were in the 4-3 at the time.

#GMSTRONG

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
You are thinking of Lance Moore, he went to New Orleans after we cut him from the practice squad.

Andre Davis spent some time with Buffalo, New England, and finally Houston (2007-2011) after being cut here after the 2004 season. He didn't accomplish as much as Moore through his career.

I'm not very concerned about drafting with this regime. Has been a pretty lousy decade to be a fan though. Winning .350% of the games surprised me.

Last edited by Kingcob; 04/22/12 10:59 AM.
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
All the more reason to draft the safest bet in this draft...

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Legend
Legend
Quote:

All the more reason to draft the safest bet in this draft...

I agree, Blackmon

#GMSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think you mean Richardson

#GMSTRONG

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think you mean Richardson

yea.. we get Richardson.. and we can put that Joe Thomas vs. Adrian Peterson talk to rest...

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
True Dat!

#GMSTRONG

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Then again, first round picks like Braylon Edwards and Brady Quinn went to other, better team, and did very little overall. Quinn never saw the field in Denver and Edwards was allowed to leave as a free agent, and is sitting at home today.

Kam Wimbley was traded away and had some success with the Raiders, and Winslow and Jeff Faine have done pretty well with the Bucs.

William Green and Courtney Brown both busted for us, and while Gerard Warren was a bust for us ..... he still went on to have an 11 year career.

So .... in the end I guess that pure busts ..... guys who never made it here or anywhere else would be Couch, Green, Quinn, and Brown. (4)

A guy who went on to another team and did OK for a short while would be Edwards .... and really that's it. (1)

The there are the guys who left here and have had productive careers elsewhere .... like Wimbley, Winslow, Warren, and Faine. (4)

Plus we have 4 former 1st round picks on the team today. (Thomas, Mack, Haden, and Taylor)

Actually .... that's quite a bit better overall than I thought without actually looking back on the guys we've taken over the years ....

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

I've OFTEN wanted to start a thread about this. There are so many factors to consider. Solid organization. Winning attitude. Solid veteran leadership. And so on . . .

Who knows how many of our scrubs would have been awesome on the Pats, Steelers, etc. over the past 13 seasons . . . ?

Also, how many oh so mighty ALL PROs would have been voted into than position had they been on the Browns? You think being on a winning team might influence that a bit?

Legend
Legend
IMO, it's foolish to blame this FO for the sins of the past. Has this FO been perfect? Nope. But I don't know of any FO that has been.

Kind of like when the schedule comes out each year. Everyone looks at the same games, but everyone has a different opinion. Some people think we'll lose every game, some people think we'll win every game (ok, very few people think that), and then there is every shade in between. But, no one is ever even close to being right.

There's a reason you play the game.

And, just because Butch Davis didn't draft well doesn't mean that Heckert won't draft well, etc.

JMHO

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

IMO, it's foolish to blame this FO for the sins of the past. Has this FO been perfect? Nope. But I don't know of any FO that has been.

Amen. I think that if Randy continues to let H&H do their thing, we'll have a solid foundation.

I think (obviously can't prove) that if this FO were in place in 99, we would be a whole different franchise. And a much happier fanbase . . .

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Pats Best and Browns Worst at Drafting All-Pros

Link Copied to Clipboard