C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Link

Quote:

Browns General Manager Tom Heckert and coach Pat Shurmur met with reporters Thursday night after the first round of the NFL Draft concluded. Here is a transcript from the news conference:

Heckert: “Obviously we are very excited about the two guys we got today and we look forward to the rest of the draft.”

Q: Can you talk about taking Weeden at No. 22 instead of waiting until No. 37?

Heckert: “That’s obviously something we talked about. We had a lot of conversations about it. When you’re talking about a quarterback, we just didn’t think it was worth taking a risk. Maybe something else you say, ‘Alright, if we get him its no big deal.’ But with a quarterback, we just wanted to make sure we got him. There’s some teams we know that were interested in him behind us, so we decided to go ahead and pick him.”

Q: Do you expect a wide-open quarterback competition heading into camp?

Shurmur: “We have a new quarterback that’s going to be with us. I think tonight is more or less about Brandon Weeden and less about the competition right now. When we went through the process of evaluating him, we became very fond of him. We all did, from (owner) Randy (Lerner) to (president) Mike (Holmgren) to Tom and myself. We kind of came away saying, ‘this is a guy we’d like to have on our team.’ And that’s where it’s at right now.”

Q: Tom, you said in your pre-draft press conference last week that with a guy that age, you can’t have him sit a year. Is that still the thought process behind it?

Heckert: “I think it’s really anybody you take and more so the round. We want these guys to play. Now, how soon? I think I said this - it depends. And I think Pat’s going to make that decision if it takes him longer than we think, than obviously we’re not going to just throw a guy out there to just throw him out there. But eventually, he’s gonna be a starter for us. That’s why we drafted him.”

Q: Will you try to trade Colt McCoy this weekend?

Heckert: “You know what? To be honest with you, we haven’t thought about that. We really haven’t. And I’m not trying to elude (the question), but that’s something we’ll talk about tonight and tomorrow.”

Q: Talk about why you felt you had to trade those other three picks to move up for Trent?

Heckert: “Because I know exactly what was offered to Minnesota and it was more than actually what…so we knew we had to trade up to get him if we wanted him. I know that for a fact.”

Q: Tampa Bay?

Heckert: “I’m not going to tell you who it was.”

Q: Can you expound on the things you loved about Weeden?

Shurmur: “He has the attributes you look for in a quarterback and we felt like he was a winner. He obviously took a non-traditional path to being a college quarterback. But he’s a very mature guy. He’s an outstanding thrower. He’s a good decision-maker. He’s very accurate. And he found a way at Oklahoma State to really compete and win a lot of football games against a lot of the quarterbacks that we’ve been talking about leading up to the draft…I wasn’t concerned about his age. I was impressed with his maturity, the way he handled himself and obviously, as a coach, watching his productivity on tape. He is a quarterback who helped lead his team to a lot of victories.”

Q: By taking a running back and quarterback today, do you feel you’ve transformed the team in one night?

Heckert: “I don’t know if we’ve transformed it, but I think even going back to last year, we’ve made it a point to emphasize we wanted to be tough. We thought we did that last year and the year before with our defense, and obviously, taking Trent helps us on offense being a physical football team. The quarterback, that remains to be seen how that works out. I don’t know if we’ve transformed it, but we’ve gotten better.”

O
Legend
Legend
O
Shurmur got "HIS" QB.... cue train wreck....

I can't stand Shurmur. Wish Weeden well and hope he takes us to a SB.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
Heckert was the main proponent behind Weeden.

It wouldn't surprise me if Shurmur was begging for a new QB after last year though.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

It wouldn't surprise me if Shurmur was begging for a new QB after last year though.

So you're saying... Shurmur... BATTLED for a new QB?

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
I bet that he fought his heart out.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Well , while I understand the need to take Richardson(Injury concerns aside.)....I just don't agree with taking Weeden and apparently cutting ties with McCoy....At 28 /29 Weeden has to start and produce now....He has a shorter window than the rest of the team , so Weeden has to succeed....At this point it is what it is and we will see what happens in the later rounds.

The Mammal
Legend
Legend
Well, again, it seems to me that the need was that they did not feel that McCoy was going to be able to be a productive QB who can take this, or any other team to a Super Bowl. If they thought that he had that kind of ability, then he would still be the sure starter next year. However, he's not.

Holmgren and Heckert were brought in largely to fix the offense and get the QB spot right. They took a flyer on McCoy, and it didn't work. There's no shame in that. The only shame would be in staying with a failed plan. Now we move on to the next plan.

It's obvious that they were most concerned about 2 spots on offense more than any others, and they took steps to fix what they saw as the glaring deficiencies. Now we'll have a new starting RB and a new starting QB. (and maybe a couple of other new starters as well)

I don't know that Weeden is the answer, but everything I saw, and everything I know about football told me that McCoy wasn't the answer. The front office and coaches felt the same way. Now they made a move intended to try and repair what they saw as the biggest flaws.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
"He battled"

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
T
Legend
Legend
T
I hated the Greg Little pick, vs other WR's
I hated the Greg Little pick but I like him as a player.
The team got a wr, ( felt like a lesser one) and he turned out to have alot of perfomances to llike. So I should give Weeden a chance. Even though I thought Tannehill would be great, still think so maybe.
I don't have the knowledge to question which (player at a positon) they take, just which position they chose to address.

They went Rb and QB, two of my biggest complaints last season, other Wr, so I should be happy.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Quote:

Q. Will you trade Colt McCoy this weekend?

Why would one even ask this question.
This is Cleveland. Everyone Knows the OIC law, Murphys Law says if they were to trade Colt McCoy this weekend that Brandon Weeden would soon go the way of.

KW2, KW2 again, Brayon Edwards in a footrace, Sean Jones, Courtney Brown, Gerrard Warren, Ty Dytmer, Tim Couch, The Center , Brodney pool, + others.
Out for the season many of them.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Just a few opinons here

Trade for Richardson, Excellent trade give up a few lower round picks to move up & get a RB like richardson good move..

Weeden, Well Guys' You drafted him, he's your mark, our Franchise QB your saying will take us to the playoffs, So he has to start, HAS TO or he's a wasted pick....So with that, trade Colt, we dont need any more distractions

Keep in mid we passed on the Bengals all pro WR last year so we could be in positon to select Weeden this year, I know we didnt know that then but it's what you've done

2nd & 3rd round...HAVE TO.....HAVE TO draft a top WR & OT anybody else will be a waste

Front Offie hang your hat on Weeden, is going to excellerate this team or set us back another 3-5 years...you made your choice..now make it happen

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Quote:

Keep in mid we passed on the Bengals all pro WR last year

Uhhhhhhh No we didn't...the Bengals selected BEFORE us last year and AJ Green was gone before our pick was up...the target last year was Patrick Perterson and he went to the Cheifs and then Atlanta gave us a big deal for our pick in order to take Julio Jones....

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
T
Rookie
Rookie
T
Quote:

Not what I got from the Press Conference...

Heckert was bubbling when talking about the Richardson pick. Not close to that level of enthusiasm at all with Weeden. Shurmur talked more about Weeden than Heckert. Weeden was a Holmgren/ Shurmur pick.

I think they were shocked when Wright went off the Board at 20. That's who they had penciled in at 22.

To have passed on Rieff for Weeden at 22 is unforgivably inflexible. Doubly so when Heckert says at the end of the Conference that "we could have gotten back into the 1st".

If we were worried about Weeden making it to 37, that's what we should have done. Had Wright been there at 22, that's what we would have done...

B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Quote:

Keep in mid we passed on the Bengals all pro WR last year so we could be in positon to select Weeden this year, I know we didnt know that then but it's what you've done

NO, No No. Disagree with the pick all you want but don't change history to make it look like a bad move. First of all we got Greg Little, Phil Taylor, Weeden and the ammo to move up for Trent, and we gave up Julio Jones, not AJ Green,

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Keep in mid we passed on the Bengals all pro WR last year so we could be in positon to select Weeden this year

False.

The Bengals selected AJ Green #4 overall.

We held the #6 pick.

We ended up with the ammo to move up for Richardson, Phil Taylor, Greg Little and Brandon Weeden, instead of Julio Jones.

B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Quote:

Quote:

Keep in mid we passed on the Bengals all pro WR last year so we could be in positon to select Weeden this year

False.

We held the #6 pick.

We ended up with the ammo to move up for Richardson, Phil Taylor, Greg Little and Brandon Weeden, instead of Julio Jones.

Haha we made nearly an identical post....get out of my head,

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Great minds?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Well , while I understand the need to take Richardson(Injury concerns aside.)....I just don't agree with taking
Weeden and apparently cutting ties with McCoy....At 28 /29 Weeden has to start and produce now....He has a shorter window than the rest of the team , so Weeden has to succeed....At this point it is what it is and we will see what happens in the later rounds.

Nowadays Qb's get 2-3 years to produce. If Weeden doesn't then he will be replaced and his age becomes irrelevant. If he does produce then we have good Qb ing for 7-8 years.

Personally, I would have signed a veteran in free agency and looked to target a young QB in next years draft. But I am okay with Weeden. We need to make sure that we get a starting RT and a Wr (preferably 2).

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

We held the #6 pick.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure we never would have traded down with AJ Green there.

Bengals picked him up and I was so upset. Then we traded down and I was so happy (especially after seeing what we got), then we picked up Phil Taylor and Greg Little, and I was so upset. Then I saw Phil Taylor and Greg Little play for us this season, and I was pleasantly surprised

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Heckert/Shurmur Press Conference Day 1 of Draft

Link Copied to Clipboard