Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#699934 06/08/12 12:21 PM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Dick Jauron shares vision for Browns’ defense, believes it’s in ‘a much better position’ this year

By Nate Ulrich
Beacon Journal sports writer
Published: June 7, 2012 - 11:20 PM | Updated: June 8, 2012 - 07:49 AM

BEREA: In his first season as the Browns’ defensive coordinator, Dick Jauron orchestrated a respectable transition to his 4-3 scheme despite the NFL lockout wiping out virtually the entire offseason.

The defense certainly wasn’t perfect last year after Jauron succeeded Rob Ryan and spearheaded a conversion from the Browns’ old 3-4 system, but it showed promise. Jauron’s men struggled against the run (ranked 30th, 147.4 yards allowed per game), performed well against the pass (ranked second, 184.9 yards allowed per game) and finished 10th overall (184.9 yards allowed per game).

As the Browns wrapped up their three-day mandatory minicamp Thursday afternoon, Jauron shared his vision for the defense in an interview with the Beacon Journal. He believes veteran ends Frostee Rucker and Juqua Parker, both of whom signed with the Browns as free agents in March, and five drafted rookies will aid improvement.

“We’re in a much better position,” Jauron said. “It’s just a very, very tough league and a very tough division. So we’ve got to get a lot better fast and find ways to win more games.”

To do his part in trying to spark a turnaround after the Browns went 4-12 last season, Jauron must put his players in the best position to succeed. His plans for how all the pieces will fit together won’t be finalized until later this summer, but Jauron has ideas about what the finished product might look like.

Linebackers

When starting strongside linebacker Scott Fujita missed the final five games last season with a broken hand, starting weakside linebacker Chris Gocong moved to the strong side and Kaluka Maiava entered the starting lineup on the weak side. If Fujita’s three-game suspension for his alleged role in the New Orleans Saints’ bounty scandal is upheld, Jauron said he plans to insert Maiava again.

“It’s no different than it was a year ago,” Jauron said. “Kaluka’s really a good football player, and I don’t have any qualms about him stepping right in and playing. He’s as tough as they come, and he works very hard at it.”

Even though Jauron said that’s his stance now, he conceded rookies James-Michael Johnson, a fourth-round pick, and Emmanuel Acho, a sixth-round pick, could change his mind.

“Every position is going to be open for competition, so nobody knows what’s going to happen when you go to training camp,” Jauron said. “The veterans hold the positions. They work hard. The odds are they’ll hold it, but there’s no law that says they have to.”

Secondary

Eric Hagg, a seventh-round pick in 2011, has practiced at free safety with the first-team defense throughout organized team activities and minicamp. Jauron conceded Hagg is on the right path toward securing the starting job.

“We’re happy with Eric,” Jauron said. “ … I really like his intensity, really like his study habits, how into the game he is. I think he’s a really good teammate. He’s done a good job for us right now on the field.”

Jauron said cornerback Dimitri Patterson will “absolutely” be considered for a starting role after spending last season as the team’s nickel corner. However, Jauron believes cornerback Sheldon Brown is capable of holding on to his starting job in his 11th NFL season.

“There’s no reason to doubt him,” Jauron said of Brown. “He’s certainly done it every other year he’s been in the league, and there’s not a lot of guys that do it that well and that long. So you’ve got to believe that he will.”

Buster Skrine and rookie Trevin Wade, a seventh-round pick, will get chances at nickel corner, Jauron said.

Linemen

Although Jauron believes Rucker, who’s penciled in as the starting right end, will help the defense improve against the run, losing tackle Phil Taylor hurts. Taylor, the 21st overall pick in 2011, tore his left pectoral muscle last month, had surgery and will be sidelined until at least late October, though he could be out for the entire season.

“It was a big blow,” Jauron said. “I feel badly for us and the organization. I feel badly for Phil, who really worked in the offseason, came back in shape, ready to go and was excited about it.”

Still, Jauron thinks the Browns are better equipped to fill the void than they would have been last season. He named rookies John Hughes, a third-round pick, Billy Winn, a sixth-round pick, and veterans Scott Paxson and Brian Schaefering, who’s recovering from surgery for a sports hernia, as candidates to start in place of Taylor.

“We’re better,” Jauron said. “We’re deeper. We drafted two guys. We think they’ll both end up playing in this league. Pax is a proven veteran. Schaefering will be back for training camp.” web page

D
DG Offline
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
“It’s no different than it was a year ago,”

I can believe this quote. We do have Jackson but what else at LB? Even Jackson is not that great. Who are our backups...

Our CBs are average. Hayden is good but who else Patterson, Skrine? Brown is average and is just getting by using his experience. Our Safeties are better but they are not going to really stop the best WRs. How many INTs did we have last year and how many times were we beaten in our own division by WRs? The reason we were so good against the pass was other teams ran all day and didn't have to pass that much.

Our Dline is good but they can't do everything. I can believe we will be better on Dline but the rest will be very similar to last year. Our poor offense will continue to put pressure on our defense and nothing will get better untill we can control the ball and score.

Last edited by DG; 06/11/12 07:37 PM.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Mangini is gone and McCoy is not the QB anymore (my BS detector tells me this poster is a worshipper of at least 1 of those 2)...get used to it

and yes, I always wanted to do one of those posts myself

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Hayden is good

Hayden has the potential to be good. I have to wonder when they'll start calling all the holding penalties he commits, and when they do, how badly it will affect his game by spotlighting this weakness. Sooner or later, coaches and WR's will bring this deficit to the attention of the refs and that will open up that side of the field tremendously. Until Haden learns to turn his head, find the ball, then play the ball, he'll only be an average corner that happens to be a great athlete.

JMHO

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Wow, DG.

Glass MOSTLY empty?

C
1st String
1st String
C
Quote:

Wow, DG.

Glass MOSTLY empty?

that appears to be most of this site...actually.

Legend
Legend
I tend to agree with DG completely on this one.

In the offseason, it's easy to get carried away with projecting how great we're going to be - but the reality is that we were pretty damned terrible last year, and until we can consistently play the run we won't have any REAL idea of how good or bad our pass defense really is. On paper, things *should* be better - but paper doesn't play the games.

We're better? Prove it on the field.
Offseason hype and feel good articles don't get the job done.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
DG Offline
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
Django...just shows how wrong you can be. Are you also so wrong about your opinions on the Browns? Probably.

Brownoholic, I just can't get excited until they play. We did add a couple of LBs but they were late picks. We really must have a couple of CBs since we always lose players mid-year and then our defense suffers. We may have half a defense but compare to the rest of our division. The Dline seems to be the best part of our defense and that just took a hit with Taylor's injury.

Last edited by DG; 06/12/12 04:59 PM.
Legend
Legend
In the 4-3. teams often find OLB later in the draft. There are tons and tons of 4-3 OLB available every year, and teams running a 4-3 tend to wait for those smaller, speedier OLB because they can.

The bigger, pass rushing OLB tend to either become DE in the NFL, or go to 3-4 teams. They tend to go in the 1st 2 rounds. There's no real need to overdraft OLB in the 4-3.

As far as the secondary, we have some really promising young players back there. If Ward stays healthy, he'll probably be a top 7 or 8 Safety in the entire NFL. He has the talent and ability. Hagg looks promising. Hopefully he can deliver.

At CB we have Joe Haden, who, even after an off year last year, is still routinely ranked in the top 4 or 5 in the AFC. Petersen looks like a quality corner. Skrine and Dockery look like real up and coming CBs. Man, I'm excited about our corners. I don't know why you would be down on them.

My major areas of concern are at Taylor's position on the DL, and the OLB position if we start Fujita again. I would rather start JMJ and let him grow into the starting role. The secondary should be very good ...... as long as they stay healthy. If we have to start Young at S again, then I think that we'll have serious holes in the defense again. I hope that Hagg will be what we hope he'll be, and that Ward will stay healthy. Overall though, I am more hopeful than not about our defense.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Hehe, just yesterday I finally found out how to use the search funtion of this board...man I found some gems...felt like Nostradamus reading my old posts about Quinn, Mangini, drafts etc....you guys should do this too, lots of fun, lol

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
Legend
Quote:

search funtion of this board

What is this witch craft you speak of

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
"Ham sandwich" should be interesting....

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Cleveland Browns rookie John Hughes shrugs off critics: 'I know my capabilities'

Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 10:41 PM
By Tom Reed, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- On an jalapeno-hot morning inside Cleveland Browns Stadium, John Hughes tried matching the fervor of dozens of youth football campers, many of whom stood eye to belly button with the 6-foot-2, 320-pound defensive tackle.

With his white cap turned backward atop his unruly mop of hair, Hughes passed and punted balls, pursued kids around the field grabbing at their flags and even engaged in a little trash talk during the hour-long session hosted by Browns rookies on Wednesday.

"No way you're gonna catch me," one blonde-haired boy yelled.

Hughes smiled and darted after the youngster. Another doubter, another challenge.

From almost the moment the Browns chose the University of Cincinnati product in the third round of the NFL draft, Hughes has dealt with skepticism. He knows some fans were hoping for a play-making receiver. He has heard analysts describe the pick as "a reach," and read how the Columbus native would have been available much further down the draft board.

They are entitled to their opinions, Hughes said, and he takes no offense to them.

"It doesn't hurt because I know my capabilities and I can't wait to go out there and show them," Hughes said.

It's an attitude he's developed over the past four years while trying validate the faith loved ones and coaches have placed in him.

Cleveland Browns rookies coach youth football campers

Cleveland Browns rookies made a trip to Cleveland Browns Stadium to help out with the team's three-day Youth Football Camp. The camp gives the 250 participants a chance to sharpen their skills and work on basic football fundamentals.

Watch video

Critics are nothing new to Hughes, who scared off some major college recruiters because of suspect work ethic and academics. It wasn't long ago he had to stand before the woman who raised him and explain why he was failing math at Gahanna Lincoln High School. The disappointment in the face of a 79-year-old grandmother stings more than an irate sports talk caller questioning his credentials as the No. 87th overall pick.

Since leaving high school, coaches have witnessed substantial growth in a defensive lineman who graduated in December with a degree in criminal justice.

"John has matured on and off the field," Bearcats defensive line coach Steve Stripling said, noting Hughes' internship at a Cincinnati-area youth detention center. "I have seen him become hungrier and quicker over the last two years. He has taken on the responsibility to make himself a better player."

Hughes, 24, said he learned from his own mistakes and the those of others to evolve into a defensive lineman who registered 51 tackles -- including 12-1/2 for loss -- and five sacks during his senior season. He enters training camp next month as one of several candidates looking to start alongside Ahtyba Rubin in the Browns' defensive interior. He will battling veterans Scott Paxson and Brian Schaefering, along with sixth-round pick Billy Winn. Paxson drew first-team reps during minicamp and organized team activities.

Even before the Browns lost Phil Taylor to a torn pectoral muscle in May, they wanted to add depth at the position. Their starters were overworked with Rubin taking the second-most snaps (86 percent) among NFL defensive tackles last season.

Browns coach Pat Shurmur said it's difficult to evaluate rookie linemen prior to training camp because of the lack of contact drills. What little Shurmur has seen of Hughes and Winn he likes.

"They use their hands well," he said. "It looks like they can separate from blocks well ... I think those guys are competing to be one of our defensive tackles and that's why we drafted them."

Count Hughes among those who were a bit surprised by his third-round selection. His family had planned a draft party for April 28, a day after the Browns picked him. Hughes said he's tried to tune out the criticism, but concedes in moments of boredom he's done a few Google searches on the Internet.

"It's not easy because it's everywhere," Hughes said of draft analysis. " It is motivation, but I just try to avoid it when I can. Usually, when I type in my name, the [late] film director John Hughes pops up anyway."

The rookie paused.

"I'm a fan of his 'Home Alone' movies."

He is thrilled to once again be playing so close to home, affording his grandmother, Esther Hughes, the opportunity to attend games. She just retired two weeks ago, Hughes said, from driving school buses.

"She worked her entire life and I never heard her complain once," he said. "She always stayed on me. She kept me on the right path even when I sometimes strayed."

Time will tell if the Browns or the skeptics are right about Hughes. Until then, he'll just keep tracking ball carriers at the stadium whether they're pros in hip pads or seven-year-olds with flags streaming behind them.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I hope he becomes a solid DT, obviously (particularly in view of Taylor's injury). However, he WAS a reach.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
If he fits our D better than some others then he isn't a reach. I don't believe we'd draft anybody that we deemed not suitable, do you? He was at least what we thought was the best player at that spot, otherwise I don't think we would have drafted him.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
Legend
Legend
That's the funny thing about draft day picks..

guys like Cribbs don't even get drafted and become stars.. guys like Hughes gets picked in the 3rd round and the draft gurus call it a reach.. If he produces.. he won't have been a reach.

Hagg gets picked in the late rounds,, now we're hearing he's challenging for a starting job.

Rubin was picked mid draft,, I remember folks saying "WHAT?" why him.

A guy gets drafted, wherever, and if he gets to camp, shows what he can do, he could be the next big thing.

Thus the reason you can't judge a draft for several years. and the reason I never call anyone a reach because you just never know when you'll find the next Reggie White, or Brett Favre, or Tom Brady or Terrell Davis.. ya just never know.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Rubin was picked mid draft,, I remember folks saying "WHAT?" why him.

Hmm are you sure about this? Rubin was one of my top targets before we traded for Rogers and Williams. I wanted us to draft him in the third and pimped him hard on here. I don't think he was a surprise to most other than the fact he made it to the sixth round.

In general, your post is valid, though. For me, my main issue with the Hughes pick was that they were picking him to be depth when there were so many players left who would be likely starters on this team. I felt like they positionally misallocated their picks for the depth of the draft. They did get bailed out with wade and acho falling and had a nice luxury pickup with smelley still around at the end of the draft.

Last edited by CleveSteve; 06/21/12 10:00 PM.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I understand your comment on depth because he will be at best the 3rd guy this season. However, I get the feeling Juaron and staff feel the DT slot is a 3 person job. So in this case, depth might be a bit misleading.

Now, that is assuming of course he indeed works in to that 3rd guy role.....but that doesn't mean it has to be this year.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Strong safety T.J. Ward says Browns fans haven't seen his best, 'not by a long shot.'

By Nate Ulrich
Beacon Journal sports writer
June 28, 2012 - 08:32 AM

CANTON: More than 70 boys, clad in orange and white T-shirts, summoned their hero by chanting his name.

“T.J. Ward. T.J. Ward. T.J. Ward,” they yelled in unison.

Ward jogged onto the field Wednesday afternoon at Malone University, gave the group a pep talk and then proceeded to catch, pass and chase for the next couple of hours, albeit with spontaneous breaks for signing autographs and posing for photographs sprinkled in. Although Ward might have cemented his status as an idol in the minds of those who attended his first youth football camp, he isn’t quite ready to praise himself.

Ward, who’s on the verge of entering his third NFL season, said Browns fans have yet to see him play his best football.

“Not by a long shot,” he said.

That must change if Ward wants to meet the expectations placed upon him as a second-round draft pick. And he has challenged himself to make it happen.

“So just get ready,” Ward said. “I came into my first year in the league just trying to have a good rookie season, and I prepared that way.

“Last year with the lockout and everything, the preparation wasn’t right. Then it was just a bad year for me, period. From the very start of camp until when I got hurt, it just didn’t go well for me.”

The 5-foot-10, 200-pound Ward started the first 24 games of his professional career at strong safety, but the streak snapped last season after he sprained his right foot in Week 9 against the Houston Texans. Ward tried to return for Week 15, though his foot did not respond well, and he ended the season on injured reserve.

Other injuries, however, mounted before then. Ward said he suffered a strained hamstring in training camp that lingered, sprained his right wrist at some point during the regular season and got stitches at halftime against the Texans because a bone in his left index finger broke through the skin.

“My hamstring was messed up,” said Ward, who compiled a team-high 105 tackles in 2010 and 38 last season. “I had that and I missed all the preseason games except the first one. I never really bounced back. The first three games I was dealing with it, then when it finally kind of started going away — it was just a tough year for me — I hurt my wrist. No one knows about it, but I had a hurt wrist coming into the Texans game. In warm-ups, I had a cast on, but it was so [restrictive] I had to take it off. Then I got in the game and hurt my finger. I came back the second half of that game and hurt my foot.”

One of the main messages Ward said he delivered to the boys who participated in his camp Monday through Wednesday is “just don’t quit.” He hopes to become an example of perseverance during the upcoming season.

“I expect to have a big year,” Ward said. “I’ve been working really hard. I’m looking to bounce back from my injury from last year and just have a really good, productive, successful season.

“I’m so hungry. I’m more determined not only to be one of the best safeties in the NFL, but one of the best players at any position. That’s my mindset. So I’m very excited about this season. I’m very excited to test myself.”

B
Legend
Legend
B
Sounds good, but talks cheap, it takes money to buy whiskey.

Just do it man. That is what we all want.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Amen to that.

And the guy can't back it up w/out staying healthy . . .

Legend
Legend
I really think had he caught that ball Flacco threw to the left side of the field and walks in for the pick-6, the Ravens would be a very different team right not. Flacco's confidence was on the ropes and Ryan had the perfect play drawn up to bait him into a pick-6. Flacco seemed to regain his form after that.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Sounds good, but talks cheap, it takes money to buy whiskey.

Just do it man. That is what we all want.

+1.

It's that time of the season, though, where we get nothing but feel-good articles and lots of promises of greatness.
I just want someone to actually back it up, for once.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Screw greatness. My expectations are lowered to the point I'll be elated to see mediocre. Average is a total upgrade at this point!

The competitor in me thinks I should never think that way; but I have no control in this so I'm not going to get overly emotionally involved and pop blood vessels sitting in front of a TV.

Politicians are puppets, y'all. Let's get Geppetto!

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Jauron talking defense

Link Copied to Clipboard