Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
K
Much has been made of our QB play, and some has been made of our run blocking...but the coaching staff isnt getting enough scrutiny to me.

Lets take a look at it because it needs help.

We played a team that's LBs were their weak point, and their secondary and DL were a strength.

We rarely tested the middle, we rarely used our TEs and we spent little to no time establishing the run. I have no understanding of how we didnt make any effort to establish the run and wear down the Eagles DL. Also, we spent little to no time giving Weeders quick easy hitters to build his confidence. Lets say we throw a few bubble screens and he can just make connections and we gain 3-4 yards. What if we throw some cross routes (i saw very few being at the game, of routes where any of our pass catchers crossed any hash marks...and definitely not both sets) that can give us some room to get YAC. I saw slants, outs, and gos. not much else.

Our playcalling is very vanilla and boring and it seems as though many of the plays are called in a vacuum. Meaning that theres no rhyme or reason to them. Looks a lot like someone playing madden. just call a play and isolated it might work, but There was little use of the play calling to set anything up, or open up anything or any of those things.

It was like he loked at his playbook and closed his eyes and pointed his fingers to a play. Not happy with that.

what is your takeaway from the play calling? I saw little to make the offense succeed. Shurmur gets a big thumbs down from me there this week

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
I don't think it's really fair to question the play-calling after that game. Weeden did pretty much everything bad, and I have a feeling it wouldn't have mattered if we called the perfect play every single time.

My one complaint is with the run game, though. I do think we tried to get it established, but t-Rich got hit int he backfield and complete stuffed quite a few times. However, we did so many damn handoffs up the middle. I think we needed more misdirections, tosses, counters, and draws. Allow the holes to develop instead of just running straight into a wall.

Wise words spoken by sages
From SkyTel to BlackBerry pagers
Legend
Legend
They could have called a perfect game, I doubt the team could have execute it.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The play calling was actually really good.

we were somewhat predictrable but our WR's were getting open a lot of wide open) and for the most part our QB couldn't get it to withing 5 feet of them

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

I don't think it's really fair to question the play-calling after that game. Weeden did pretty much everything bad, and I have a feeling it wouldn't have mattered if we called the perfect play every single time.

My one complaint is with the run game, though. I do think we tried to get it established, but t-Rich got hit int he backfield and complete stuffed quite a few times. However, we did so many damn handoffs up the middle. I think we needed more misdirections, tosses, counters, and draws. Allow the holes to develop instead of just running straight into a wall.

I agree with you on the run game, but I think the pass playcalling still needs a lot of work. For instance, we stopped calling the quick hits like the first play where Weeden hit Massaquois for a good gain.

Don't get me wrong, I think most of the problem lies in Weeden's performance, but the pass play calls were pretty bad.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Quote:

Quote:

I agree with you on the run game, but I think the pass playcalling still needs a lot of work. For instance, we stopped calling the quick hits like the first play where Weeden hit Massaquois for a good gain.

Don't get me wrong, I think most of the problem lies in Weeden's performance, but the pass play calls were pretty bad.

But still, Weeden executed very poorly on the majority of plays. Maybe there were quick hits that he just didn't execute.

I'm sure the play calling wasn't great (I'm really no expert), but it just seems very hard to judge with how Weeden played.

Wise words spoken by sages
From SkyTel to BlackBerry pagers
Legend
Legend
It was weird, we started off the game 5-1 run to pass on 1st down, then swung completely the other way.

I also do question why we threw 35 times when the QB was obviously struggling. Maybe we were trying to get him going, but I dunno. There are ways to set up plays to help a struggling QB, but it seemed like Shurmur just thought that Weeden was going to pull himself out of his funk.

Now we did have some drops, but still, it was obvious that Weeden wasn't completely comfortable out there. I'll have to look, but it just seems like we could have gone with some 2 TE to help the run blocking, and to set up some easy throws to get him going. I don't recall a lot of 2 TE off the top of my head.

Also, in a game that was really close throughout, we only ran the ball 20 times. (plus 2 scrambles by Weeden)

Our gameplan was almost as strange as Reid having Vick throw 56 times when he was throwing a ton of picks, and McCoy was running wild.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
How about running T-Rich up the middle EVERY SINGLE STINKING TIME?! The definition of insanity is repeating the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. By definition the run calls yesterday were insane. How do you not test the edges with the top ranked RB coming out of college? The only reasoning I can come up with: Shurmur is stupid, and you can't teach stupid.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
would the wide 9 defensive alignment prevent an outside run?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No, not if it's properly blocked. Seal the ends off on the inside and let speed carry the back to the edge, at least he should be able to turn the corner and get a couple yards, or break it up inside if he sees a gap. Running up the middle every time when it's plugged up in there over and over again is just idiotic. You have to run outside once in a while to keep the LBs honest.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I would think that it would be harder to run outside against the wide 9, because the outside rushers take a wider angle, and the OL would have to somehow get outside the DE and block him down inside. The whole thing of the wide 9 is that the DEs line up outside of the tackle. Wouldn't that make running outside more difficult? It seems to me like it would make running between the G/T easier. Have the G crash down on the DT, and the T kick out the DE, and then there's a gap. The RB still has to beat the LBs at that point, and any DB coming down in run support.

I don't recall seeing any pulling in the game though. I'll have to go back and look to make sure, but in most cases, if you can have your G and T handle the DE and DT, then you can have that pulling G wipe out a LB. (or your FB ..... if you have one who can actually block)

The other option would be to play with a TE, and have the T and TE initially take the DE on the wide angle, then have the TE basically stay in his way while the T then gets freed up to block the LB. I seem to recall fairly vanilla run blocking schemes yesterday, but again, I'll have to look again to be sure.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
They do line up wider, but it's not like they're standing at the sidelines. That positioning might also make it easier to block them outside, pushing them past the RB as the back cuts inside past the guard. Point is, you need to get a guy like Richardson into the second level so he can break tackles, blow off helmets and wreak havoc in the secondary. Jamming him up the middle, every time, all day is just plain ridiculous, regardless of the D scheme.

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

what is your takeaway from the play calling? I saw little to make the offense succeed. Shurmur gets a big thumbs down from me there this week

I disagree completely. There were a LOT of plays to be made out there that our guys just flat-out botched. In every game (with any coach) you can always find a handful of calls that are head-scratchers. However, for the most part, I thought Shurmur's calls were pretty good.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I totally disagree. In an average NFL game, you have probably have 2-3 plays where a receiver gets wide open with no one around him. We had 4 that I specifically recall, and there were probably at least a few more that weren't picked up by the camera angles. If Weeden hits most of those, and then the drops by Marecic and Little (and this is by no means a stretch of the imagination)....no one would be questioning the pass play calling.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I totally disagree. In an average NFL game, you have probably have 2-3 plays where a receiver gets wide open with no one around him. We had 4 that I specifically recall, and there were probably at least a few more that weren't picked up by the camera angles. If Weeden hits most of those, and then the drops by Marecic and Little (and this is by no means a stretch of the imagination)....no one would be questioning the pass play calling.

Yep.

*edit* the one gripe I have about the play calling is that there were so many plays where we were breaking the huddle with 6-8 seconds left on the play clock. What in the heck was taking so long?

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

the one gripe I have about the play calling is that there were so many plays where we were breaking the huddle with 6-8 seconds left on the play clock. What in the heck was taking so long?

Pat and Brad bickering in the headsets about which play to run, I would guess.

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Yes, I didn't understand the lack of using the tight end. I was wondering that myself

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I'd have to check my DVR to confirm this, but it seemed to me we may have kept the TE in to block more than we usually do. Not sure about that though.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Lets talk about the play calling!

Link Copied to Clipboard