Next Thread
Print Thread
P
PETE314 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
P
So one of the big stories coming out of week 2 is when the NY Giants were up 41-34 and went into victory formation to kneel on the ball. Greg Schiano the HC of Tampa Bay had his team jump over the line and hurl themselves at the ball at the snap. Which in effect knocked Eli Manning over, etc.

Coughlin had a huge issue with that as he states it is an easy way to get players hurt. the game is over...they are not going to fumble, etc. that Schiano just got a cheap shot in on his QB...he was lucky that no one got hurt....Coughlin says Schiano broke an unwritten rule and that bush league stuff (my words from seeing the quotes of many who commented on it not necessarily Coughlin's words...but it is my interpretation of his sentiment...) doesn't belong here int he NFL.

Schiano says he is just playing tough football til the end of the game....He says he did it at Rutgers and if thaey had seen any tape on his stuff at Rutgers they would know they play that way....

Personally...I understand what Coughlin is saying...and if he had been 2 scores up...I think he might have a point....BUT...In this particular situation...no matter how remote the chance...I think Schiano is correct...I mean his job is not to make Coughlin happy..his job is to do everything he can to win games...regardless of the odds. And you know everyone lauds Marino's fake spike to a TD vs the Jets...well everyone but Jets fans that is....Is that so different??? A little...but not greatly so. So hey if you can get them to muff the snap then I think in that situation..it is admirable that you did not give up and that you tried...

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
Legend
Legend
I'm with Tampa Bay on this one.

The game isn't over. If you tee-off on them, you just *might* cause a fumble and recover it, giving your team one last shot.

Conceding defeat before it's over... no way, unless you're down by more than one score. However, this is a game where nobody was playing defense, apparently... so, they well might have been able to score.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I am 100% on Schiano's side.

Coughlin acted like a baby. "We don't do that in this league." Screw you dude.

Play until the clock reads 0:00.

N
Legend
Legend
N
it's simple. the game isn't over until the final whistle blows after the clock reads all 0's. if this was a 2-score game, then Coughlin would have a point. but, a fumble could potentially still help TB at that point.

Herm Edwards has a saying for this type of thing: You Play To Win The Game!

#gmstrong
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
I think it's completely legit to attack the formation and see if you can cause a fumble.

Given the precedent that teams concede the game at that stage (as has happened in basically every game for the last 30 years), it would be reasonable for the DL to let the OL know that they are not conceding - just to prevent injuries. OTOH, half of the reason this might have been effective was the surprise element - but it's a surprise element that works on the basis of it's deviation from "normal sportsmanship", which says that you concede that position.

I get Coughlin's point - there's a huge potential for injury when you hit somebody that isn't expecting it (legal hit or not). I don't think OL's will let Tampa Bay get away with that again.

~Lyuokdea
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Schiano's statement following the game was correct. There's nothing illegal about what he had his defense do. However, it was a bush-league move, IMO. That play had almost zero chance of happening and, if someone HAD been injured, it would have been a complete waste.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Schiano's statement following the game was correct. There's nothing illegal about what he had his defense do. However, it was a bush-league move, IMO. That play had almost zero chance of happening and, if someone HAD been injured, it would have been a complete waste.

And the very first time a coach calls for it and it works, every call for it, ever, is vindicated and justified.

If nothing else, offenses now know to never take any play for granted - never relax.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
I'm 100% in the camp of "the game's not over till the final snap, so don't take anything for granted."

Was Dan Marino cheating when he fake spiked the ball, then threw a TD pass instead? Nope, he used the rules to his best advantage, and caught the other team off guard.

I hate it when the Browns are within a score, and all but give up by not even trying to bet the ball on a kneel down. Fight till there is no time left on the clock, and do everything you can do to try to win the game.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

However, it was a bush-league move, IMO. That play had almost zero chance of happening

The operative word here is "almost". We're paying those players to play the game....why should they not play until there actually is a zero chance?

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Until the whistle blows the play dead, it's a live ball. I agree with Schiano's actions as it relates to the rules but you can bet that while this has obviously been a gentlemen's agreement up to now, for Schiano and the Bucs, everything just changed and they opened a can of worms they might end up wishing they left closed.

#GMSTRONG
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
I dont care how good a jumper you are your not going to get over the OL in front of you before the QB gets the ball and takes a knee.
It would be like someone snatching a quarter outta my hand from 3 feet away after you handed it to me. Alls I have to do is close my fist.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I dont care how good a jumper you are your not going to get over the OL in front of you before the QB gets the ball and takes a knee.
It would be like someone snatching a quarter outta my hand from 3 feet away after you handed it to me. Alls I have to do is close my fist.

If the center is not expecting a rush, snaps the ball, and gets bull rushed into Manning, there is a chance that the ball can come free.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
P
All Pro
All Pro
P
Games over... poor sportmanship by Tampa Bay

Legal or not it was a dirty move that could of very easily caused injury.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

it would be reasonable for the DL to let the OL know that they are not conceding - just to prevent injuries.

if the OL cannot tell the difference between the DL conceding and the DL being amped up trying to anticipate the snap count, then the OL isn't doing it's job.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

If the center is not expecting a rush, snaps the ball, and gets bull rushed into Manning, there is a chance that the ball can come free.

Absolutely. Or maybe someone gets twitchy and steps on the QB's foot as he's moving from under Center and causes a fumble.

Anything can happen. If the offense wants to prevent any issues, all they really have to do is effectively block for less than 1 second.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

It was Legal.

And the game wasn't over.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
F
All Pro
All Pro
F
Okay, the game wasn't over. However, lets put the shoe on the other foot. They already had a 7 point lead. Should the Giants have lined up to score again? For those of you saying there was no defense in this game, it seems more possible (given the Giants had the ball) they could have scored again.

IMO -- I think it's a cheap shot by Schiano.

I remember some years ago when the Iggles (under Buddy Ryan) were thrashing the Cowboys and he threw a deep ball prior to the end of the game and rolled the score up even higher. I hate the Boys and still thought it was a classless act on Ryan's part. (Granted the circumstance is different, but sportsmanship is still a part of the game).

And the next head coach is ......
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

Quote:

It was Legal.

And the game wasn't over.

Then if the defender hits the QB after he has taken a knee (which takes all of 1/2 a second) is it a personal foul? Late hit?

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
Legend
Legend
I'm not really on either coach's side.....it was bush-league and heady at the same time. But....Coughlin should have had his OL and QB ready for an aggressive push even if they didn't know there was going to be one. Be ready at all times, that way, it doesn't matter what the Def is doing on the last play.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Okay, the game wasn't over. However, lets put the shoe on the other foot. They already had a 7 point lead. Should the Giants have lined up to score again? For those of you saying there was no defense in this game, it seems more possible (given the Giants had the ball) they could have scored again.

IMO -- I think it's a cheap shot by Schiano.

I remember some years ago when the Iggles (under Buddy Ryan) were thrashing the Cowboys and he threw a deep ball prior to the end of the game and rolled the score up even higher. I hate the Boys and still thought it was a classless act on Ryan's part. (Granted the circumstance is different, but sportsmanship is still a part of the game).

This is a good point. I think the argument can still be made that Schiano was entitled to do it, but if you believe Schiano was justified, you also need to believe the Giants would have been justified if they tried to score.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Herm Edwards has a saying for this type of thing: You Play To Win The Game!

Herm Edwards... the guy who picked up a fumble from the Giants in 1978 as they were trying to run out the clock and returned it for a TD... and the Eagles beat the Giants. ironic.

I'm firmly on TBs side. If you are on a football field and the ball is in play or about to be put in play... be prepared to do your job. People say it was a given that the game was over and somebody could have been hurt... well it wasn't over. Extra points are also pretty much a given these days, perhaps we should stop rushing on those... or short field goals... very rarely blocked or missed.. why rush? Somebody could get hurt.

yebat' Putin
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

This is a good point. I think the argument can still be made that Schiano was entitled to do it, but if you believe Schiano was justified, you also need to believe the Giants would have been justified if they tried to score.

the reason you don't try to score if you are the Giants is because taking a knee is the highest percentage play for the win. the game is still in doubt even if it is only 0.00001% in doubt.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I am the type of person that hates to lose, so I love this play. I've always thought "why do teams give up when the other team is in the victory formation?"

man as soon as that ball is snapped, send 3 300+ lb guys right up the gut. you have a 1% chance of getting to the ball, but at least you send a message.

I am also of the opinion that you hit receivers and running backs as much as you can early in the game, even to the point of late hits. let them know you are not a pushover. get in their head.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

The object of any/all regular season games, especially this early, is to win and put yourself in a position to make the playoffs... if the Giants thought that trying to score gave them the best chance to win and make the playoffs, then they should have thrown the ball.. they decided to run out the clock, which is the prudent thing to do... the Bucs just decided that they weren't going to quit until they had exhausted all options.

As Golic said this morning, if you line up you can tell by posture etc if a guy is going to rush hard or give up... the Giants just weren't paying attention if they couldn't tell they were going to rush.

yebat' Putin
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I considered it bush league.

But the Giants should have expected it by the way the Bucs lined up.

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
N
Rookie
Rookie
N
Quote:

Agree 100%. And though I didn't watch the game, I understand the Bucs didn't bull rush on a first half Giants kneel down. If so, wouldn't Schiano's, "play until the clock says zero" philosophy be inconsistent?

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Quote:

Quote:

Agree 100%. And though I didn't watch the game, I understand the Bucs didn't bull rush on a first half Giants kneel down. If so, wouldn't Schiano's, "play until the clock says zero" philosophy be inconsistent?

I think it's different when you are down a touchdown or FG at the end of the game. I, personally, love the intensity of it. Who knows how the game would have changed if a startled Eli Manning dropped the ball or mishandle the snap.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I dont know what the big deal is personally. I have seen a lot of teams over the years attack on the kneel down. This time the OL was napping and were thrown back into the QB. Coughlin should be upset with his OL instead of the Bucs.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

I think it's completely legit to attack the formation and see if you can cause a fumble.

Given the precedent that teams concede the game at that stage (as has happened in basically every game for the last 30 years), it would be reasonable for the DL to let the OL know that they are not conceding - just to prevent injuries. OTOH, half of the reason this might have been effective was the surprise element - but it's a surprise element that works on the basis of it's deviation from "normal sportsmanship", which says that you concede that position.

I get Coughlin's point - there's a huge potential for injury when you hit somebody that isn't expecting it (legal hit or not). I don't think OL's will let Tampa Bay get away with that again.

Good point in regards to Tampa trying it the rest of the season. I dont think they will be starting a trend. Its not the first time this ever happened. Every year you see a little shoving after a whistle when teams do this. There is always a player or 2 that gives the o-line some push on kneel downs.

Coughlin has always been a whiner.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than those attending too small a degree of it."- Thomas Jefferson on Freedom of Speech
Legend
Legend
Gonna respond to this one without reading any other post.

Football is football. The game isn't over until the clock reads: 0:00. Play until the clock reads 0:00. That's why the game of football is based upon time.

Whine about it if ya wanna, but the game is set up to promote play to the very end of the timeframe allowed.

I don't care about "Unspoken Arrangements" or "Gentleman's Agreements".... if time remains on the clock, you fight.

"Zero" means "Zero." Anything before that time is still part of The Game... and as long as the players perform within the confines of the rule book, there should be no controversy regadin the playing-out of this game.

IMHO, teams that execute "The Kneel-Down" should always perform it as thought i were just another play in the game.

YOU PLAY THE AGME TO WIN.

If it were left to me, NO team would 'take a knee.'.... and I'd hope that the team I support would adopt the same POV.

Just sayin'-

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My response is that the Giants were up by 7.

So the game was not over, and Tampa Bay had a chance.

A Giants - Eagles game in the past resulted in the victory formation in the first place.

Does not anyone other than DC remember the Miracle at the Meadowlands?

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

Football is football. The game isn't over until the clock reads: 0:00. Play until the clock reads 0:00. That's why the game of football is based upon time.

Whine about it if ya wanna, but the game is set up to promote play to the very end of the timeframe allowed.

I don't care about "Unspoken Arrangements" or "Gentleman's Agreements".... if time remains on the clock, you fight.

"Zero" means "Zero." Anything before that time is still part of The Game... and as long as the players perform within the confines of the rule book, there should be no controversy regadin the playing-out of this game.

IMHO, teams that execute "The Kneel-Down" should always perform it as thought i were just another play in the game.

If it were left to me, NO team would 'take a knee.'.... and I'd hope that the team I support would adopt the same POV.

Just sayin'-

So your saying that at the end of a game down 7 with no TO's and them having the ball we should have our guys try to jump over their guys and possibly cause a turnover? Risk injury and accomplish nothing. Rules state that a qb even in the act of taking a knee is considered taking a knee. You cant stop that play I dont care how hard you try, It risks injury to players and nothing more, I say no thanks,

Legend
Legend
The fat lady was not singing so play hard till the last whistle blows. nice job TB

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

So your saying that at the end of a game down 7 with no TO's and them having the ball we should have our guys try to jump over their guys and possibly cause a turnover? Risk injury and accomplish nothing. Rules state that a qb even in the act of taking a knee is considered taking a knee. You cant stop that play I dont care how hard you try, It risks injury to players and nothing more, I say no thanks,

Who is to say you don't jump the snap count and cause a disruption on the exchange? You play until the clock reads 0:00 if there is any chance of still winning no matter how small IMO. I have no problem with what TB did.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Just sayin'-

I have never liked that play, but I agree with you here.

[Linked Image]

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

My response is that the Giants were up by 7.

So the game was not over, and Tampa Bay had a chance.

A Giants - Eagles game in the past resulted in the victory formation in the first place.

Does not anyone other than DC remember the Miracle at the Meadowlands?

I wasn't alive but didn't the qb not kneel down like he was supposed to? He tried giving it to the running back? Yea nobody does that anymore in the nfl. These guys are trained to just get it and take a knee.

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
I saw that in the last minute of the Browns Bengals game. Shurmer appeared content to run the ball and run out the clock until halftime even on 3rd and 18. I can see if you are leading the game but when you are behind, kicking off to start the second half etc. I just don't see why so many coaches choose to run out the clock like that.As for Schiano-Coughlin, I think that you do not stop trying to win the game until the final whistle has sounded.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Schiano vs Coughlin...where do you stand???

Link Copied to Clipboard