Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
OK, then put a gun to this guy's head and pull the trigger instead. Put him in the gas chamber. Hang him and make his head pop off. I don't really care. I find it disgusting that someone could even argue this kind of crap after they maliciously killed someone else.

Ohio inmate Ronald Post says he's too obese for execution | cleveland.com
http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf...t_river_default

COLUMBUS, Ohio — A condemned Ohio inmate who weighs at least 480 pounds wants his upcoming execution delayed, saying his weight could lead to a “torturous and lingering death.”

Ronald Post, who shot and killed a hotel clerk in northern Ohio almost 30 years ago, said his weight, vein access, scar tissue and other medical problems raise the likelihood his executioners would encounter severe problems. He’s also so big that the execution gurney might not hold him, lawyers for Post said in federal court papers filed Friday.

“Indeed, given his unique physical and medical condition there is a substantial risk that any attempt to execute him will result in serious physical and psychological pain to him, as well as an execution involving a torturous and lingering death,” the filing said.

Post, 53, is scheduled to die Jan. 16 for the 1983 shooting death of Helen Vantz in Elyria.

The prisons department was not aware of the filing and could not immediately comment.
Inmates’ weight has come up previously in death penalty cases in Ohio and elsewhere.
In 2008, federal courts rejected arguments by condemned double-killer Richard Cooey that he was too obese to die by injection. Cooey’s attorneys had argued that prison food and limited opportunities to exercise contributed to a weight problem that would make it difficult for the execution team to find a viable vein for lethal injection.

Cooey, who was 5-foot-7 and weighed 267 pounds, was executed Oct. 14, 2008.

In 2007, it took Ohio executioners about two hours to insert IVs into the veins of condemned inmate Christopher Newton, who weighed about 265 pounds. A prison spokeswoman at the time said his size was an issue.

In 1994 in Washington state, a federal judge upheld the conviction of Mitchell Rupe, but agreed with Rupe’s contention that at more than 400 pounds, he was too heavy to hang because of the risk of decapitation. Rupe argued that hanging would constitute cruel and unusual punishment.

After numerous court rulings and a third trial, Rupe was eventually sentenced to life in prison, where he died in 2006.

Ohio executes inmates with a single dose of pentobarbital, usually injected through the arms.
Medical personnel have had a hard time inserting IVs into Post’s arms, according to the court filing. Four years ago, an Ohio State University medical center nurse needed three attempts to insert an IV into Post’s left arm, the lawyers wrote.

Post has tried losing weight, but knee and back problems have made it difficult to exercise, according to his court filing.

While at the Mansfield Correctional Institution, Post “used that prison’s exercise bike until it broke under his weight,” according to the filing.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
The fact that this happened 30 years ago is exactly whats wrong with the death penalty. I'm not against it, but I'm not enthusiastically for it either. I know death row inmates have been vindicated a few times in the past but if you sentence someone to death, then execute them, don't do it 30 years later. That's like disciplining your dog for peeing on the carpet a month ago.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Use the jugular to insert the needle. It's really easy to find; so it the femoral artery.

Barring that, hand me a rifle - I'll do it.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

A
Legend
Legend
A
I don't understand the "they might have trouble finding a vein" thing. And, I don't really care. A needle . is cruel and unusual?

Also - how does a guy on death row maintain 480 lbs?

And, like DC said - why was he sentenced to death 30 years ago - and he's still living?

Legend
Legend
Yeah, the fact that he's been in prison more than half his life is very strange to me

Legend
Legend

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Use the jugular to insert the needle. It's really easy to find; so it the femoral artery.

Barring that, hand me a rifle - I'll do it.

I'd be happy to stand next to you, one of us could have a blank.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
That'd have to be you, I'd be bringing my own round

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

“Indeed, given his unique physical and medical condition there is a substantial risk that any attempt to execute him will result in serious physical and psychological pain to him, as well as an execution involving a torturous and lingering death,” the filing said.

Good.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
J
Legend
Legend
J
I don't care if you can exercise or not, you have to eat a lot to maintain that kind of weight. Only in this country can you gain weight in prison.

As for the guy who weighed 267, that is nothing compared to some people we see in the hospital, and getting a vein is not an issue for them. That size shouldn't be an issue in most cases, my guess is something else was going on there.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

That'd have to be you, I'd be bringing my own round

Well, two holes are better than one!

Now if they'd let me use the Springfield XDm9 I purchased this weekend, it has a double stack 19 clip, one of those could be blank.

#GMSTRONG
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Glad to see tax dollars keeping this murder alive and obviously well fed.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Medical personnel have had a hard time inserting IVs into Post’s arms, according to the court filing. Four years ago, an Ohio State University medical center nurse needed three attempts to insert an IV into Post’s left arm, the lawyers wrote.

I'm ok with 5 or 6 times. Thats fair.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
What I don't get is why they can't then have him ingest the poison if they can't find an artery. What .... it would taste bad and he would go to his damnation with a bad taste in his mouth?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

What I don't get is why they can't then have him ingest the poison if they can't find an artery. What .... it would taste bad and he would go to his damnation with a bad taste in his mouth?

Darn we are all bad people we want to be kind and not let the murder suffer. The part about the guy being to heavy to hang was funny. Well he is dead right?

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
How about we each get to shoot him in a chin? At 480 lbs, that's probably 3 or 4 of us who get to participate

"All I know is, as long as I led the Southeastern Conference in scoring, my grades would be fine." - Charles Barkley
Legend
Legend
I'm all for feeding him 100 stale boxes of twinkies every day (with nothing to wash them down with) he will either choke to death of explode in a short time.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
Can't we just stick rat poison in a ham sandwich and get it over with?

“Unemployment is low because everyone has two jobs. Unemployment is low because people are working 60, 70, 80 hours a week and can barely feed their family.” -AOC
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Take him to a veterinarian. If they can drop a healthy racehorse because of a broken leg, they can drop this fatty.

[Linked Image]
F
Legend
Legend
F
Easy solution to both problems..

Quit feeding him until he dies of starvation.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

All that leaves us with is a dead Peyton Hillis.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

All that leaves us with is a dead Peyton Hillis.

you mean 2011 Peyton Hillis?

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm all for breaking out the guillitine (sp?).....or burning at the steak....his choice of a cold chop or a hot steak.....yumm!!!!

LET'S GO BROWNS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[Linked Image]
[b]WOOF WOOF[b]
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Inmate Argues He's Too Fat To Execute

Link Copied to Clipboard