Next Thread
Print Thread
#722664 09/17/12 04:35 PM
T
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
T
Is tied for 2nd in the NFL with 8 sacks.

This is without massive production from Jabaal Sheard while getting sacks from guys like DQ, Parker and Hughes.

Very impressive so far. I wish I could find a stat for QB hits, but unfortunately I cannot find anything.

Another encouraging sign from the defense.

you had a good run Hank.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Yeah, Sheard has been quiet so far. Not sure if it's because the OL is focusing on him or what, but I do expect good things out of him this year.

We had 6 sacks on Dalton. I thought we had more than 2 on Vick....

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
My fear is defenders are dropping like flies ... Winn, Parker, Brown ... and we aren't going to be able to keep it up, but I'm loving it so far.

I often don't like it when we as a fanbase complains about injuries because believe it or not, all teams have them ... man, look at the Redskins right now on D ... but I really feel like we are being decimated on the D side of the ball more than usual. Haden's suspension doesn't help at all.

I think the additions of Rucker and Parker were pretty underrated by Heckert. I've been most impressed with Rucker so far. Guy brings some energy to the field. I'm liking it.

I hope we can sustain this.

T
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
T
Vick got rid of the ball quickly in lieu of taking a sack, which resulted in INTs.

I wish I could find QB hits. We'd almost certainly be #1. We lived in the backfield against the Eagles and beat up Dalton as well.

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
Legend
In 2 games, the Eagles have allowed 4 sacks and 14 QB hits, and the Bengals have allowed 10 sacks and 11 QB hits ... but I can't find a breakdown on defense.

The Browns have allowed 4 sacks and 10 hits on Weeden.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Rishuz #722669 09/17/12 05:15 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

I think the additions of Rucker and Parker were pretty underrated by Heckert. I've been most impressed with Rucker so far. Guy brings some energy to the field. I'm liking it.

Nooooo way, they are washed up

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Is tied for 2nd in the NFL with 8 sacks.

This is without massive production from Jabaal Sheard while getting sacks from guys like DQ, Parker and Hughes.

Very impressive so far. I wish I could find a stat for QB hits, but unfortunately I cannot find anything.

Another encouraging sign from the defense.

And we're doing it without Phil Taylor.

As long as the injuries with Winn, Parker, & Co. aren't too serious, we're going to have some serious fun in a few weeks.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
And, D'Qwell is tied for 2nd in the NFL with 3 sacks.... and on that list of top sack artists, he is not only one of only three players there with an INT, but he is the only one with more than one as he has TWO of them.

Oh, and he also has 5 PDef and a fumble recovery.

We're only two weeks in and he is already having a Pro Bowl kind of season.

Browns is the Browns

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

And, D'Qwell is tied for 2nd in the NFL with 3 sacks.... and on that list of top sack artists, he is not one of only three players there with an INT, but he is the only one with more than one as he has TWO of them.

and you didn't mention that he also has a TD!

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

And, D'Qwell is tied for 2nd in the NFL with 3 sacks.... and on that list of top sack artists, he is not one of only three players there with an INT, but he is the only one with more than one as he has TWO of them.

I just hope we can get there in DQ's tenure.

He is not only a outstanding player, but he is also a great example of a team mate and I think that he has played a big role in bringing our young LBers around.

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 09/17/12 06:49 PM.

[Linked Image]

R
Legend
Legend
R
DQ and Thomas.

It would be nice for them to be a part of some winning teams.

The fact that both reupped with Cleveland means they are willing to see it through. That means a lot to me as fan. Those two guys can start on almost any team and they know it.

Let's get this thing turned around starting this week. 1-2 after Buffalo. Then the world and the Ravens get introduced to TRich on Thursday. 2-2 baby.

Rishuz #722675 09/17/12 06:56 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

DQ and Thomas.

The fact that both reupped with Cleveland means they are willing to see it through. That means a lot to me as fan. Those two guys can start on almost any team and they know it.

Let's get this thing turned around starting this week. 1-2 after Buffalo. Then the world and the Ravens get introduced to TRich on Thursday. 2-2 baby.

JT too

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Didn't want to seem like I was bragging on his behalf

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Dang all humility! Full blitz speed ahead! I have been loving the pressures. And though they are not sacks, Dalton and Vick had some throwaways as well, just get rid of it's. I count those as big wins for the D as well, but not sure if that is a stat category. I hope we keep it flying high!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Rishuz #722678 09/17/12 08:59 PM
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

DQ and Thomas.

Im riding that bandwagon for sure!

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
Legend
Legend
sure am glad i picked him up on my fantasy team

<><

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Yeah, Sheard has been quiet so far. Not sure if it's because the OL is focusing on him or what, but I do expect good things out of him this year.

I've never been a huge numbers guy, but from the games I've watched I've been very happy with Sheard. May be no sacks, but he brings the pressure and forces the QB to throw quick and he's gotten into the backfield to help break up running plays.

The defense as a whole has been pretty good. I'm a bit upset with the way Hagg played last week (although WTH, why is he on the outside covering a WR?), but otherwise I don't have much in the way of complaints. I'm mostly just frustrated that Joe Haden is out.

That and we'll need another CB next year, Buster Skrine is too little to cover WR's on the outside also

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

And, D'Qwell is tied for 2nd in the NFL with 3 sacks.... and on that list of top sack artists, he is not only one of only three players there with an INT, but he is the only one with more than one as he has TWO of them.

DQ is definatly on track for a Pro Bowl birth but its really early. I think as a leader of this defense, he will have the guys ready to help stop Spiller. A scat back like they went up against McCoy during Philly.

I would say that DQ is the team MVP so far.

In regards to people saying FAs dont want to come to Cleveland, its good that he went in house and got DQ to stay. The Brownies would be in real trouble if DQ left town, having a huge hole to fill.

The pass rush and getting turnovers has been a big plus. Hadans suspension is a huge negative. It shows how good he really is with the pass yardage Dalton had. The pass rush will be needed with Hadan out.

I think this defense hurried Vick 14-16 times.

Based on stats, the Browns should get a few wins this season if they keep it up. The offense wont be as bad as the Philly game the rest of the year and the young DBs are getting alot of experiance the shouldnt be getting.

With more experiance from the offense and when the defense get Hadan, Brown and Taylor back, they will be a team to not reckon with.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than those attending too small a degree of it."- Thomas Jefferson on Freedom of Speech
Legend
Legend
DQ is definitely starting out with what could be a Pro Bowl season. Maybe even an All Pro season. The only thing that could hurt him is the "bend but don't break" philosophy, and the general youth of the defense around him.

He played at a Pro Bowl level last year though, and he's picking up this year not only where he left off, but he's picked his game up even more.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
Unfortunately playing for Cleveland has gotten him ignored a lot in the national media, which is a shame.

"All I know is, as long as I led the Southeastern Conference in scoring, my grades would be fine." - Charles Barkley
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Unfortunately playing for Cleveland has gotten him ignored a lot in the national media, which is a shame.

missing 2 full seasons didn't help his cause either. he did deserve the comeback player of the year award for what he did last year (not surprisingl{ it went to a QB - Stafford)

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:

Quote:

missing 2 full seasons didn't help his cause either. he did deserve the comeback player of the year award for what he did last year (not surprisingly it went to a QB - Stafford)

Not to mention his time in the 3-4...where he was not a good fit.

He's doing great so far this year tho. On passing downs he's in there with Robertson stationed in the middle (in a 4-2-5) and DQ is moving around and causing lots of problems.

T
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
T
Just another thing I wanted to mention:

While they aren't pass rushing like crazy, Billy Winn and John Hughes are worth everything they were drafted at and more. Winn was playing like a man with his hair on fire through the first 2 games and John Hughes can stack and shed with the best of them.

With Rubin and Taylor in there, our DT's are going to be DAMN good for many years.

you had a good run Hank.
F
All Pro
All Pro
F
Quote:

While they aren't pass rushing like crazy, Billy Winn and John Hughes are worth everything they were drafted at and more. Winn was playing like a man with his hair on fire through the first 2 games and John Hughes can stack and shed with the best of them.

With Rubin and Taylor in there, our DT's are going to be DAMN good for many years.

And Hughes was drafted to plug the middle and improve the run defense.

And the next head coach is ......
Legend
Legend
Just adding my opinion on the "getting pressure" discussion...

The Browns have as it stands right now a total of 8 sacks, 14 QB hits, and 25 QB pressures.

From an edge rusher (DE) we have 14 Pressures, 4 Hits, and 2 sacks.

From the inside rush (DT) we have 8 Pressures, 5 Hits, and 1 Sack.

From the blitz (LB) we have 2 Pressures, 2 Hits, and 4 Sacks.

I think its safe to say the Browns are getting pressure with just the front four, and they are getting it enough.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

#gmstrong
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Odd how the LBs have a considerably higher Sack to Pressure ratio than the DL.

It is worth noting the secondary has a sack or two and I am sure some pressures.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Yeah and then there is the question of what to do with Kitchen, (who has flashed) when Taylor gets back.

[Linked Image]

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:

Quote:

Yeah and then there is the question of what to do with Kitchen, (who has flashed) when Taylor gets back.

Winn will move to DE...and be a beast.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Winn will move to DE...and be a beast.

Like many who assumed Sheldon Brown would be moved to Safety ... I don't see it happening with Winn moving to DE.

[Linked Image]

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:

Like many who assumed Sheldon Brown would be moved to Safety ... I don't see it happening with Winn moving to DE.

Brown may be on the verge of moving to the bench tho. We could use a guy like him at S too. I dunno...if he doesn't move to S next year, I could see him moving to off the team.

When Taylor returns, we will have a very good 5 man rotation at DT. And Cameron on the PS.

I'd hate to lose any of those guys...Winn playing DE solves the excess at DT and the shortage at DE. Very well could be wishful thinking.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I agree ... Sheldon Brown might have reached his self life at CB.

It's going to be hard to keep 5 DT's on our roster. The good news I guess would be that that bridge wont need to be crossed for some time and injuries although they might hurt us they could help us in keeping 5 DT's at least for the remainder of the season.

Actually I have been pleasantly surprised with our (4) DE's so far.

[Linked Image]

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I think we could be "set" at LB and DT for the mid-term...we need another young pass rushing DE to replace Parker after this season, so I expect either the 1st ot 3rd rounder to go this way

DT: Rubin, Taylor, Hughes, Winn, Kitchen....these guys are all signed through 2014 or 2015, so I don't expect any Top 4/5 round picks to go DT in the next draft

LB: Dqwell, Gocong, Robertson, Fort, JMJ, Acho....all 6 are signed for 2013 and most beyond that, Maiava and Fujita will be a FAs and probably gone...I expect maybe another mid/late rounder to battle/push the others

Our front 7 is pretty set, both starters and depth, for the mid term future imho..our "urgent" needs on D are down to DE and FS, with depth needed at CB and OLB

If you go over our Offense you'll see similar patterns...we're really getting there

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I think we could be "set" at LB and DT for the mid-term...we need another young pass rushing DE to replace Parker after this season, so I expect either the 1st ot 3rd rounder to go this way

I don't see that as urgent ... I think that Parker can play another two years, but I certainly would be open to it if we have the oppritunaty to upgrade that position.

Quote:

DT: Rubin, Taylor, Hughes, Winn, Kitchen....these guys are all signed through 2014 or 2015, so I don't expect any Top 4/5 round picks to go DT in the next draft

I totally agree here unless someone who is a can't miss falls in our laps.

Quote:

LB: Dqwell, Gocong, Robertson, Fort, JMJ, Acho....all 6 are signed for 2013 and most beyond that, Maiava and Fujita will be a FAs and probably gone...I expect maybe another mid/late rounder to battle/push the others

Once thought to be a big weakness on defense before this season I think looks bright for the future.

I agree that Fujita will probably not be back and Maiava hasn't really been productive in a starting role, so if he is brought back then it will be at a backup price.

Quote:

Our front 7 is pretty set, both starters and depth, for the mid term future imho..our "urgent" needs on D are down to DE and FS, with depth needed at CB and OLB

I don't think that the jury is set on Eric Hagg and Wade is still a player I'm hopeful will progress this season, though I think that he is a little overwhelmed inside and should possibly be used on the outside moving either Patterson or Skrine inside in sub packages.

[Linked Image]

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Our pass rush...

Link Copied to Clipboard