Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
NFL Owners Approve Haslam; Clear To Complete Deal With Lerner

CHICAGO (92.3 The Fan) - NFL owners approved the sale of the Cleveland Browns to Jimmy Haslam III Tuesday morning in Chicago.

Randy Lerner, who inherited the team from his father in October of 2002, announced the deal with Haslam on Aug. 2 and owners voted unanimously Tuesday morning to approve the transaction.

Haslam assumes a 70 percent controlling interest in the team with Lerner retaining a 30 percent stake up till the 4-year anniversary of the closing of the sale. Haslam will then be permitted to purchase the remaining stake in the team.

The total value of the deal is an estimated $1 billion.

Since the announced sale, Haslam has been visible at practice and at every game. His presence has been a welcomed site among players.

The futures of president Mike Holmgren, general manager Tom Heckert and coach Pat Shurmur are in doubt with the change in ownership.

Holmgren did not make the scheduled trip to the meetings. He had been representing Lerner and the franchise on league business since officially taking over as team president in January, 2010.

Former Eagles president Joe Banner is expected to be named the chief executive of the Browns Soon.

Haslam owns a 12 percent minority stake in the Pittsburgh Steelers and he is in the process of divesting his interest in the team.

An arrangement has been worked out the the Steelers as well as NFL prohibiting Haslam’s access to Organizational and business information he was privy to while a minority owner of the team.

With the approval now out of the way, Haslam is clear to complete the deal with Lerner. It’s expected that he will take control of the team by month’s end.

web page

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
Legend
Legend
Nice to see that it's done .... but it's no real surprise.

The real surprise would be if they had not approved him.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
So here comes the fireworks? I MH done for? Do things get exciting now or after the season?

I suspect nothing until after the season.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I think Mike is out. Beyond that the rest have till the end of the season to show Jimmy and Joe what they got.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

I think Mike is out. Beyond that the rest have till the end of the season to show Jimmy and Joe what they got.

+1 There might be a short transition period, but I'm thinking Holmgren will be out of here before the end of the season. I doubt we'll see any other changes (if any) before the end of the season. Too disruptive.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
N
Legend
Legend
N
That didn't take long

Quote:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8511711/mike-holmgren-cleveland-browns-sale-official-sources-say

New Cleveland Browns owner Jimmy Haslem, whose takeover of the team was officially approved Tuesday, will name Joe Banner the team's CEO/president and current president Mike Holmgren will depart the organization within 24 hours, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Ed Werder.

Haslem has a news conference scheduled for noon and will announce the Banner move, the sources said. It is unknown if Holmgren's status will be addressed at the news conference.

Haslem will close his deal to buy the Browns with Randy Lerner on Oct. 25 but these changes will take place before then.

Holmgren, the former head coach of the Green Bay Packers and Seattle Seahawks, joined the Browns on Jan. 5, 2010. The 64-year-old Holmgren officially had the title of team president. He was instrumental in the hiring of current Browns head coach Pat Shurmur.

Haslam bought the team from Lerner for $1 billion, and the owners voted 32-0 Tuesday to approve the deal. Haslam, who built his fortune with Pilot Flying J truck stops, has been a minority owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers, but divested that stock to buy the Browns.

Haslam and Lerner agreed to the sale in August just as training camp was opening. Haslam has said his mission is to bring winning football back to Cleveland; the Browns have made the playoffs once since returning to the NFL in 1999.

Information from ESPN NFL Insider Ed Werder and The Associated Press was used in this report.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

So here comes the fireworks?

A logo on the helmet
No longer Orange and Brown...our new colors will be Yellow, Black and Red (to match Pilot)
CBS will be re-named Pilot Field
Our offense will be renamed "The Flying J"

Just kidding.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
Wow... didn't expect it that quick. I guess Holmgren has known this was coming for a while.

yebat' Putin
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
While we are all here, and im signing these papers...get out, NOW! Wow!!!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

So here comes the fireworks?

A logo on the helmet
No longer Orange and Brown...our new colors will be Yellow, Black and Red (to match Pilot)
CBS will be re-named Pilot Field
Our offense will be renamed "The Flying J"

Just kidding.

I'd guess we will see two of the four!
Just win baby! Just win!

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum NFL Owners Approve Haslam to buy Browns

Link Copied to Clipboard